Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #1  

Default Heeeere fishie, fishie, fishie....

I don't hear much about fish on this forum, so I don't know how much y'all are eating, especially salmon, which Dr. Tran allows once a week... so, in case you're neglecting this excellent source of Omega-3, here's a good reason to start thinking about adding it to the menu...

From Yahoo Health:
Quote:
Curb Two Health Risks with This One Protein

Reduce cancer risk and control cholesterol with one protein choice? Maybe so, if that protein is salmon.

Salmon -- and other fatty fish like trout and herring -- may help boost blood levels of good cholesterol. But here's the kicker. That same heart-healthy act could slash the risk of several different types of cancer as well. So warm up the broiler and slice some lemon.

HDL and Cancer

A recent review of several studies revealed that the risk of certain cancers -- including lung, colon, prostate, and breast -- may be affected by HDL levels. In the studies, the risk of these cancers took a nosedive in people with bountiful levels of the good-for-you kind of cholesterol. Seems the inflammation dampening that results from high HDL may also help discourage the survival, growth, and spread of various tumor cells.

HDL Boost from the Sea

Having high HDL won't guarantee that you'll never get cancer -- and more research is needed to confirm the link. But the latest research is just one more really fine reason -- in addition to the already-known heart health benefits -- to focus on bolstering your HDL levels.
There are additional tips & links to other key ways to get your good cholesterol soaring on the website...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #2  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the great info Aunt Sheshie!!
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/145/130

Height: 5'7

WAIT!!!!! We can only have salmon 2x a week?!?!? I wasn't told this!! We live in Alaska and fish every summer to fill our second freezer with it!!! Part of dealing with the expense of this diet is using fish we already have-we were hoping not to have to buy anything else. I wonder why we didn't get this detail from our coach?
But, YES, salmon is the BOMB!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO good for you! Go for the Alaska caught! Not the genetically modified, of course!!!!!!
Thankx for spreading the salmon love!!!
coqui71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #4  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coqui71 View Post
WAIT!!!!! We can only have salmon 2x a week?!?!? I wasn't told this!! We live in Alaska and fish every summer to fill our second freezer with it!!! Part of dealing with the expense of this diet is using fish we already have-we were hoping not to have to buy anything else. I wonder why we didn't get this detail from our coach?
But, YES, salmon is the BOMB!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO good for you! Go for the Alaska caught! Not the genetically modified, of course!!!!!!
Thankx for spreading the salmon love!!!
I wonder if 2x a week refers to farmed salmon which is not as healthy as wild salmon. Farmed salmon is fed thing salmon shouldn't eat and raised in fairly stagnant water. Fresh fish always has a leg up on "farmed".
EatAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #5  
started IP 11/21/2010

S/C/G: 175/155/140

Height: 5'4

Hello!

Im a big fish person myself!!
I dont eat red meat OR white meat so all my dinners are either seafood or occasionally 2 eggs.
Most nights I have talapia, shrimp, cod, scallops, or canned tuna.
I do have salmon once a week!! Its so delish!
I have come up with many ways to spice up the white fiish.
The flavor of most white fish alone is so mild so it takes on spices very well!!

Tonight I baked it with WF thick/spicy BBQ and it came out lovely!!!

I will soon try it with crushed up IP southwest cheese curls for a mock breading!! YUM!
jules26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #6  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAnts View Post
I wonder if 2x a week refers to farmed salmon which is not as healthy as wild salmon. Farmed salmon is fed thing salmon shouldn't eat and raised in fairly stagnant water. Fresh fish always has a leg up on "farmed".
I think it has to do with the fat. 6 oz of raw wild caught Alaskan coho salmon has 10.78 grams of fat. Having said that, it's also true that it's good fat as far as I'm concerned..
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #7  
Love

S/C/G: 287.3/228.3/160 restartApr25

Height: 5'5"

I looooves my fishies. Hard thing is, DH (also on IP) does not. So I get to have it 2-3x a week. Another problem I encountered was HIVES! Hives to my dearly beloved fishies... Exlcuding salmon. So weird. I've had salmon EVERY week. I love salmon and could eat it every day.

Question to my fellow fish lovers: Tuna with the IP Mayo - good or not? I heard their mayo was revolting... but I love egg and tuna salad mixes.
SashaJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #8  
started IP 11/21/2010

S/C/G: 175/155/140

Height: 5'4

im not a fan of mayo! regular or WF!

For canned tuna I use a little bit of EVOO, a lot of black pepper, sea salt, and i add chopped green peppers celery and dill pickles. It so good!!!

normally i put it on a nice bed of romaine lettuce!!!

Deeelish!
jules26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #9  

I just finished my Sunday lunch of wild-caught salmon... yummm... I wish I could get fresh salmon, but here in west Texas, I'm just about as landlocked as you can get, so my salmon is frozen... I always try to have it on Sunday, then have other types of fish a couple of other days during the week... most of the time, that's tilapia, but if can get others, I do... I used to almost live on canned tuna or albacore, but these days, they're too tasteless... maybe I was buying the wrong brand...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Hi all, I've touted Dover sole in the past and this seems a good place to sing it's praises. I first had Dover sole at Legal Seafood in Boston, an eon ago, and have only been able to get it, albeit on a semi-regular basis, in Hawai'i. I know it's now available in fish shops in large metropolitan areas on the mainland.

If you don't like the "fishy" taste of fish, this is for you. It is almost an instant high protein food. I poach it in a small amount of simmering water for 3-4 minutes or less, sprinkle it with Hawai'ian pink sea salt and ground pepper, and mist it very lightly with a quite small amount of EVOO. The latter is optional.

If you used to eat Plaice in Great Britain before it was over-fished, Dover sole is very like it, only even milder.

Afterthought: Here is the nutritional value for 7 oz cooked, (184 grams). raw: 158 calorries; 28 grams protein; 4.36 grams lipid; no carbs. fiber, or sugar; 41 grams Mg; 363 grams K; and medium to high sodium (537) grams, depending on where it's caught.

Last edited by Linden; 12-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote