Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #1  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

Default Surviving Christmas ... one week at a time!

Oh this month is going to be a hard one for me! Already people are loading up and bringing in chocolates and doughnuts and everything awful! I know with all of your help I will be able to make it through. I hope I can help some of you stay strong as well! So for the next 7 days I'm committed not to cheat, I've got plenty of restricted items to choose from so I can still have a treat and not stray. Let me know how you plan to stay on plan too!
jency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #2  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I will not be cheating this holiday season. I have gone 12 weeks without a taste of anything so why start now. It is so motivating to see that scale drop every almost everyday (even it is .2 or .4 pounds). I have no desire to make this diet last any longer than it has to.

Here is toast to not cheating until goal weight!!!!
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #3  
started IP 11/21/2010

S/C/G: 175/155/140

Height: 5'4

I'll toast to that!! (with water of course)

NO CHEATS until goal weight!!!

jules26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

I hear you. 'Tis the season of parties with sweets!
Yesterday I went to a retirement party for a good friend. Knowing there was going to be cake, brownies, cookies and the like. So I made and took IP chocolate muffins.
Keep the ideas coming.
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/206/168

Height: 5'5

ahh Im no cheating!! I make homemade chex mix every year and chocolate chip cookies. I've already decided they are going to the police barracks with my boyfriend and let the troopers have them while they work the yucky midnights over christmas!!
MaryKate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #6  
Kimi

S/C/G: 211.5/148.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I am looking at it a bit different. I have decided that on xmas day I can have extra turkey, stuffing and gravey. But not potatoes, dessert or snacks or anything else. I figure I made it through my xmas party and will make it through new years without cheats. And I am cooking so I'll just make dessert something I don't like. Its one day and boxing day I will be right back on track.
Peanuts Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #7  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Jency - I am with you. Not that I am going to binge, but I would be lying if I said it wont be difficult. Hang in there! Just 30 days to go!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #8  
Dave - The Speedo King

Default Cheats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts Mom View Post
I am looking at it a bit different. I have decided that on xmas day I can have extra turkey, stuffing and gravey. But not potatoes, dessert or snacks or anything else. I figure I made it through my xmas party and will make it through new years without cheats. And I am cooking so I'll just make dessert something I don't like. Its one day and boxing day I will be right back on track.
If you're going to cheat on Christmas Day, why only cheat halfway? As long as you're kicking your body out of ketosis, enjoy your day off. I think it's a little weird to say you're having stuffing and gravy but skipping the potatoes. Just enjoy the meal and get back on track. It seems like you're trying to justify a 'small cheat' by saying you'll get back on track. A better idea might be to enjoy everything, with smaller than usual portions, including the dessert. Then get back on track the next day. Just sayin
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #9  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

I feel an attack of curmudgeon coming on. Not because of Jency's desire to affirm, but because this thread may dwindle into justifications for by-passing the IP program. There's a thread for those who waylay themselves and, if one posts there, she or he shouldn't expect praise or the turning of a blind eye, or helpful excuses.

In all truth, I don't really care if someone cheats. How they do it and why is a very personal thing and I would like to believe it involves a lot of thought and self-realization about commitment, care (especially for personal health and how it affects others), and for the image they project. If that's the case, and they're fine with it, then so am I.

This post is really for the many, many new people who have joined IP recently and come here for information, direction, knowledge, and encouragement. Phase 1 of the IP program is really a very simple, straight-forward, no gimmick regimen to loosing body fat and weight and readjusting your pancreas and other organs while you re-think your approach to food and its relationship to your way of life.

May of us have spent many hours trying to add to the knowledge base of the forum and trying to create an atmosphere in which others can flourish on the program. Even enjoy it. We do this because others have done it before us and because we want to bolster everyone's self confidence and understanding.

Not incidentally I hope, if you're new, you will realize the value of reading widely in the more informative threads. I know I go back and read threads and individual's posts as I progress through the program and I always find something new that is valuable or just plain reassuring. So, bon voyage on a new and, hopefully, permanent journey through life.

Last edited by Linden; 12-01-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #10  
Kimi

S/C/G: 211.5/148.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I feel like I just got spanked. Sorry to of offended anyone.
Peanuts Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #11  
Love

S/C/G: 287.3/228.3/160 restartApr25

Height: 5'5"

I have already told my family I don't want to cheat on Christmas. We celebrate starting on the 24th (fish&German salads, sometimes a duck), 25th (turkey, stuffing, etc) and the 26th (schnitzel & leftover salads). I can make due each day - make my own fish, my own cucumber salad, and I can have some turkey. It will be harder given the emotional burden of this year but I will find a way to keep busy. I didn't cheat on my birthday, after10 days on the program, and I don't want to cheat Thanksgiving/New Years either. So here-here to keeping on track over The Holidays.
SashaJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #12  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I feel an attack of curmudgeon coming on. Not because of Jency's desire to affirm, but because this thread may dwindle into justifications for by-passing the IP program. There's a thread for those who waylay themselves and, if one posts there, she or he shouldn't expect praise or the turning of a blind eye, or helpful excuses.

In all truth, I don't really care if someone cheats. How they do it and why is a very personal thing and I would like to believe it involves a lot of thought and self-realization about commitment, care (especially for personal health and how it affects others), and for the image they project. If that's the case, and they're fine with it, then so am I.

This post is really for the many, many new people who have joined IP recently and come here for information, direction, knowledge, and encouragement. Phase 1 of the IP program is really a very simple, straight-forward, no gimmick regimen to loosing body fat and weight and readjusting your pancreas and other organs while you re-think your approach to food and its relationship to your way of life.

May of us have spent many hours trying to add to the knowledge base of the forum and trying to create an atmosphere in which others can flourish on the program. Even enjoy it. We do this because others have done it before us and because we want to bolster everyone's self confidence and understanding.

Not incidentally I hope, if you're new, you will realize the value of reading widely in the more informative threads. I know I go back and read threads and individual's posts as I progress through the program and I always find something new that is valuable or just plain reassuring. So, bon voyage on a new and, hopefully, permanent journey through life.
I didn't get much curmudgeon out of that. As I review my comments it occurs to me that I could have worded it better. As Linden already knows, search for my posts for where I stand on cheats.

Condensed version: Cheats are bad, expensive, and not worth it. If you want to deviate from the protocol, that's a decision you'll have to make on a personal level with your coach.

Opinions differ regarding cheats. I deviated from the protocol to celebrate 15 years of marriage by sharing an intimate dinner with my wife. I planned to deviate weeks in advance with the go-ahead from my coach. I've been told that my planned deviation was actually worse than what I would term a "cheat" because it was premeditated. I disagree with that assessment because I feel that there is a social aspect to food that cannot be ignored, and there are life events that take priority to diet protocol. That said, however, I do not use those social aspects and occassions as justification to frequently wander from the protocol. And, to me, this is different than simply wandering into one's pantry and losing control or lacking the willpower to stay away from things that will interrupt success. There are those who post on these forums who seem to stray frequently because they simply can't help themselves. These are the people who cheat rather than deviate. I'm not one of those people, because I tend to focus on acheiving goals so I'm not distracted easily. That's why I view a planned deviation from protocol differently than a "cheat." There is a difference between cheating oneself of success, and planning a small reward for success, and that difference all comes down to self-control and priorities.

The point of my previous post (and to make it clear that I generally agree with Linden's comments) was that as long as you're planning to deviate from the protocol, don't do it in a half-a$$ed way. That leads to the slippery slope of rationalization. "I had gravy, but not potatoes" is a mindset that I believe will lead to justification of other deviations from protocol. Rather than start down that path, simply enjoy the meal and don't pig out. Have a small portion of potatoes and a small serving of dessert. Maintain control, even with a deviation, and then get right back on the protocol. Or decide now not to deviate from the protocol. Whatever you choose, consult with your coach. So, Peanuts Mom, don't feel spanked. Just make wise choices that you and your coach can live with.

Personally, I'm too close to my goal to deviate for Christmas. I'd rather be done with IP and on maintenance...

Last edited by salesgod; 12-02-2010 at 12:01 PM.
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #13  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

Thanks for everyone's inputs... I would just ask that if you want to cheat you talk about it on the cheat board. I'd really like to use this thread for ideas on how to stay on protocol and NOT cheat this month. One thing I'm doing differently this year is I'm not making the pounds and pounds of christmas candy that I know I won't resist. Instead I've been making dried apples, pears, zucchini chips, and beef jerkey to give away as presents this year.
jency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #14  
Love

S/C/G: 287.3/228.3/160 restartApr25

Height: 5'5"

Since this is the first Christmas after my Opas (grandpas) passing we have some games planned that we do not normally do. I think they will be a great way to keep our family distracted from the emotions, and me also distracted from the food. We picked games that will incorporate the whole family, including the kids (who may just be too busy with their new toys to care, really).
I'm already seeing food in a different light. It's upsetting to me walking into a store and seeing aisles and stands FULL of chocolate and high sugar items. No wonder we struggle with obesity. Food is pushed on us wherever we go. I just find that aspect disgusting about the holidays. Or walking into a certain huge center, and their "sale" foods are all high sugar items or fatty products. That's my little rant there, lol.....
SashaJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4.5

I'm trying to get away from the idea of cheating. Cheating = binging for me. It's never just one brownie or cookie, it's a whole box. Or stuffing in as many as I can before anyone notices. When I cheat, it's like I've lost. I give up for the rest of day because I've obviously ruined it and don't even attempt to finish strong or pick myself back up. That usually means lower self-esteem the next day and less motivation cause I already messed myself up yesterday, so instead of starting a new day the right way, I go get a donut, sigh. This is how I feel like I've been dieting my ENTIRE life, but never had success. I don't even know if I've been on a diet for more than 7 days without going off plan.

So now, instead of just letting myself fall off the wagon so easily, my new mantra is "NO MORE WASTED DAYS!!!" I'm actually counting each day and making it mean something.

I'm not letting them slip away any longer! Even if I cheat or mess up, it's still a day that counts! No more sweeping under the rug and wasting another week binging and eating "last-chance" foods before going back on a diet.

I have been wasting days, and months, and years feeling like a failure just because I wasn't truely being accountable to myself. But now, that's changing!
losingitbaby is offline   Reply With Quote