Introductions to those of us on Ideal Protein

You're on Page 6 of 35
Go to
  • Originally Posted by krisbelle
    hi my name is krista. i have been doing the ideal protein diet for 2 months now and have lost 57lbs. i am single, and no children. my niece lives with me and she is 3 so i do have a child. LOL!!!!

i have been over weight my whole life. it so bad i don't remember the last time i was under the 300 mark. just thinking about this makes me want to cry. i was with my ex-boyfriend for 11 years. we were middle school, high school and college sweethearts. he dumped me when i started to get bigger for my best friend. but that's all okay now.

i was really excited to find the ideal protein diet. one of my co-workers intorduced me to this diet. it is thorugh her ciroprator. i couldn't be more greatful.

i live in frederick, MD and i am 31 years old. i work for the school board here and i am the lead custodian.

i can't wait to talk with others about my success.
    Welcome Krisbelle I live about 30 minutes from Frederick!
  • Quote: hi my name is krista. i have been doing the ideal protein diet for 2 months now and have lost 57lbs. i am single, and no children. my niece lives with me and she is 3 so i do have a child. LOL!!!!

i can't wait to talk with others about my success.
    Welcome Krista! You are having incredible success on the IP protocol. Keep up the good work!!
  • Hi! This is a great idea for a thread! I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories- it's so inspiring and great to have folks to relate to! So, here's mine.

I'm 35 years old, married 10 years, and the mother of a 4 year old. I've definitely been on the yo-yo diet roller coaster for a few years now. I didn't always have weight issues. I gained a few pounds in college and lost them pretty easily. Then i gained them back after I got married and lost them again by WW and running. However, after a difficult pregnancy with months and months and months of bedrest, I was BIG! I was also depressed. I worked very hard to lose most of my pregnancy weight- down to about 135. I was breast feeding, depressed, hungry, and losing slowly. After I got to a "happy weight", I (and my doctor) realized that i was still struggling with postpartum depression. I started medication for that and very quickly gained back more than 10 lbs.-- changed meds and continued to gain. I eventually stopped the meds, but could not drop the weight. Although i was no longer depressed, I felt that I would never lose weight and keep it off- soooo disheartening! I've tried everything it seems. It's just so hard to keep up the hard work when I lose so slowly!

Just this november, I had gained back the 10lbs i had tried so hard to lose, and had basically resigned myself to being overweight and unhappy about it. Then my mom started talking to me about IP (some of her friends were doing GREAT on it). Since diabetes and heart disease are absolutely rampant in my family (even thought no one suffering with them is more than 10-25 or so lbs overweight) she was really concerned about my weight struggles. I'm just finishing up my first week.... I feel fantastic.... and according to my scale, am 4 pounds lighter!!!! For the first time, I feel like i can go the distance. This forum is a God-send. Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories.
  • Hi everyone
    My name is Allison, i live in Alberta, Canada. I have been on IP since Dec. 31. I have lost 7 lbs and am stoked about that, since i have PCOS and have had huge struggles losing weight! I have some serious craving issues over the past 8 days but just found out that my coach had told me to start this diet the incorrect way! I am hoping that the cravings subside soon, it is tough! I have not cheated, and dont plan too until i have reached my goal weight, about 45 lbs from now!
    It is very nice to meet all of you!
  • I'm Bretley

I am 20 years old, married for 1 and a half years to my highschool sweetheart (I don't know if it counts, we started dating our last semester of our grade 12 year...I just like how it sounds, hah). I've struggled with my weight since I was around 10. At that time I was diagnosed with childhood epilepsy and was put on a medication that caused me to gain weight pretty rapidly. By 14 I was 165 and when I graduated High school I was 180, and seemed to be maintaining that weight (during my high school years I struggled with eating disorders, and depression, and other self harm so it was a very hard time). Before my wedding in the summer of 2009 I went on the Depo shot as a form of birth control and in 2 months went from 180-226 pounds. I started IP February last year and lost 62 pounds in about 6 months, then had a major standstill for about 3 months and got really discouraged during that time and had many little slip ups. I would be in ketosis and losing for the week, cheat on a weekend, and then take my 2 days to get back into ketosis and so on. Eventually we discovered that my thyroid medicine was whacky so altered that and I started back on plan. Then between Canadian Thanksgiving and New Years all **** broke loose. I was off and on like before, but usually off. And I packed on the pounds. I'd gained back about 30 of the 62 I had originally lost but January 1st I decided I was going to do it for real again annnnd I have been! It's only been a week but i've lost 10 pounds and am well on my way to my goal weight.
  • My name is Stephe.
    I am a 48 year old male.
    I am am married. No children but have 2 wonderful chocolate labs that fill my life.
    I am an active person but have battled with excess weight most of my life.
    My family has a history of heart disease and recent bloodpressure test indicated alarmingly high bloodpressure and high cholesterol.
    When I went into the Ideal Protein office in my area (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) my bloodpressure also indicated high numbers to the extent that the doctor suggested I refrain from playing organized hockey till my numbers come down.
    So for me the Ideal Protein plan seem first and foremost a path to lowering my bloodpressure and choesterol. The weigh loss will follow, undoubtedly, which is a benefit that I'll relish, I'm sure, but my main motivation to join is long term health benefits to my circulatory system.
    If anyone has any feedback as to the benefits of the Ideal Protein Diet on their bloodpressure and cholesterol levels I would love to hear from you for even more motivation to stay on the path.
    Glad to be a part of this community and look forward to reading various tips, motivations and recipes.
    Stephe (pronounced Steve)
  • Quote: My name is Stephe.
    I am a 48 year old male.
    I am am married. No children but have 2 wonderful chocolate labs that fill my life.
    I am an active person but have battled with excess weight most of my life.
    My family has a history of heart disease and recent bloodpressure test indicated alarmingly high bloodpressure and high cholesterol.
    Stephe (pronounced Steve)
    Welcome Stephe!
    I had been on bp meds for about 2 years before IP and after only 3 weeks on the protocol my dr cut my meds in half. After another 3 weeks I was taken completely off!!! My pressure has remained low and I feel better than I have in years.
  • This really is a great thread. Everyone's stories are so inspiring and I can see a part of myself in each one. My name is Jackye and I am 51. I started the IP program a week ago. I live in a very rural area, so there are no clinics near me, but through Dr. Chanh's website and this board, I have been able to learn about the program.

I came across IP when I found that although I have been really watching what I eat, my blood sugar was going bonkers! My Dr. doubled my metformin and that didn't have any effect whatsoever! Having several family members on insulin plus not being a fan of prescription meds, I knew that I had to do something now. I was searching the sparkpeople website (where I log my food and exercise) and I found a team of people using IP. Most only log their stats on SP and use 3fatchicksonadiet for their support system. I came here and was so impressed. Then I found Dr. Chanh's site and learned more.

I wasn't always fat, but I did max out at 273 pounds about 3 years ago. I went on the South Beach diet and lost over 30 pounds and then dropped the diet and gained about 10 pounds back. Last winter I dropped all grains from my diet and felt the best I ever had! I think I felt better than I did back in my early 30s when I was vegan (something I really enjoyed, but not feasible with a meat and potato husband lol!) I was on to something, but visiting family unprepared for their take on proper nutrition and without bringing a lot of viable options with me, allowed me to go back to old habits.

I'm really done with old habits and feel that this is the time for me. I feel I will be successful at this. I know without a doubt that excessive carbs - especially from grains (sweets are not a temptation for me) are my downfall. Getting rid of them now and learning to enjoy fresh, healthy, life giving foods and your support are going to propel me forward.

Wishing you all the peace that is beyond all understanding.
  • Hello! My name is Erin and I am new to IP and to the 3FC community.
    I started yesterday, so I am on day 2 and am finding the headache pretty horrible, but so far that's the only side effect. I have about 110-120 lbs to lose and am hoping this is the diet for me. I have tried and succeeded, and tried and failed at many diets. I always seemed to gain my weight during pregnancies or directly afterward, and the last time I just didn't get around to losing it.
    I am excited to find this board because I am finding the limited food selection extremely hard and can come up with no recipes so far other than my grilled shrimp and spinach salad.
  • Hello everyone,

I'm Candis, 27 years old from Alberta, Canada. I just started IP January 4, 2011. I had heard of this diet from one of the nurses I work with who had great results with it.

I have never been on a diet program or diet at all before. I am enjoying not having to worry about what I will be eating, if it's too "bad" for me. My starting weight was 160lbs and according to my scale I am down four pounds currently. My goal weight is at least 130lbs. My overall goal for this weight loss is to feel more comfortable in my own skin and to increase my chances of fertility and a successful pregnancy.

I am having a bit of a struggle daily right now with hunger and not eating what I am craving, but I am working hard to manage these cravings and not give in. So far, so good.

The topics about IP are a great resource and I appreciate everyone's candidness and suggestons, recipes and tips. Good luck everyone!
  • Quote: My overall goal for this weight loss is to feel more comfortable in my own skin and to increase my chances of fertility and a successful pregnancy.
    WELCOME. Great, reasonable goals and I wish you wonderful success. It sounds as though you are handling the program very well and will persevere, AND you're doing the absolutely best thing by reading liberally. You should really do well. Welcome, again.
  • Quote: I am excited to find this board because I am finding the limited food selection extremely hard and can come up with no recipes so far other than my grilled shrimp and spinach salad.
    Hi, and WELCOME. To help you there are two recipe stickies. Read and enjoy. You'd be, no you will be, surprised at the tremendous variety of possibilities with this program, although grilled shrimp and spinach sounds really good.
  • Quote:
    I'm really done with old habits and feel that this is the time for me. I feel I will be successful at this. I know without a doubt that excessive carbs - especially from grains (sweets are not a temptation for me) are my downfall. Getting rid of them now and learning to enjoy fresh, healthy, life giving foods and your support are going to propel me forward.
    WELCOME, Jackye. I think a lot of people here will empathize with you about grains and we have mostly learned the truth of what you say the hard way. Believe me, you have the support of us all. Read liberally. There is a tremendous amount of useful information here (along with the chit-chat.) If you haven't looked at the sticky for newbies, that might be helpful. I wish you the best of good progress.
  • excited to start Ideal Protein!
    Hi! I have been lurking on here for a few days, and decided to introduce myself when I found this thread I am starting IP tomorrow and am really excited! I have about 30-40 pounds to lose.
    I`ve always had to watch my weight, but could control it with diet and exercise. I guess I should mention that I am 27 and have 3 small children! My weight struggle really started after my last baby was born, almost 2 years ago. My body just went haywire, my hormones are all messed up, and my thyroid went hypo. That is not a good combination!! I have been a mess for the last year. I gained 30 pounds and nothing will take it off. Very frusterating! I hate how I look, ect. A friend of a friend told me about IP and how they had lost 70 pounds, so I decided that this was what I needed and am going for it! Wish me luck :)
  • Hello Everybody.

I have my first IP consult on Tuesday the 12 and then will start on the 14th. I am very excited.

I had lost alot of weight once I hit 40 and kept it off for about 4 years. Then a hysterectomy seemed to derail me. Then stress at work, switching of hormones, lack of sleep put me into what I call my "crazy" period. The weight started coming back on and it has just kept going up and up.

I decided a few weeks ago that I needed to take control of my life in all areas and that included my weight. I found out about IP and did some research and decided it was the plan for me.

I cannot wait to start and I am glad I found this support group! I am learning all sorts of good stuff!!