Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 152

Height: 5'2"

Default Thank you :-)

Hi,

Anxiously awaiting... My appointment to start IP is next week. Thank you for informing me about the ticker. I've been reading posts and you are all so supportive. Also, there is quite a bit of helpful information posted. I don't want to have negative thoughts however I do believe that I'm going to have a bit of a rough time initially. Parting from carbs and sugar isn't going to be easy for me. I suppose that next week, I should take a pic and put little notes all over the place to encourage myself to give myself a swift kick in the kiester...get with the program and to stick with it.

Wishing you all a great day and much success,

Minka
Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #212  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minka View Post
Parting from carbs and sugar isn't going to be easy for me. I suppose that next week, I should take a pic and put little notes all over the place to encourage myself to give myself a swift kick in the kiester...get with the program and to stick with it.
Minka, WELCOME. Lots of people have made the transition easier on themselves by lowering their carbs before they start and getting rid of the things that might put temptation in your way. Husbands and children are excluded; friends. . .? Depends. Definitly get rid of sweets, chips, dips, the whole lot. Your committed from now on, right?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 246(H)/238(IP)/(ticker)/150

Height: 5'3"

Default hi all

newbie here, just checking in.

I started the IP diet a couple weeks ago, and I'm surprised how well I'm doing. This is the first time I've lost weight since 8th grade!

Glad to have found this forum to keep me inspired and to learn new tricks to keeping my food interesting. Thanks all for being here.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #214  
A long road ahead.......

S/C/G: 366/326/240

Height: 5' 9"

Talking Whew Finally!

I have been on IP since Jan 20/11. I am 39 M and weighed 366lbs. For my 40th B-Day, I want to be on a warm beach somewhere not worrying about how disgusted people are by me.
Here is my brief update:
1st week lost - 14 lbs
2nd week lost- 9 lbs
3rd week lost - 8 lbs
4th week lost - 9 lbs
Total ............40 lbs

I am very strict with myself and do not cheat at all.
Anyone who needs help losing weight, this is YOUR answer!

Please keep in touch all as we need each other for motivation and support.
Thanks to Carla for starting this.

Good luck all!

Jamie
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 182(size16)/143(size 8)/132ish

Height: 5'6 started IP 2/2/11

Default Newbie Introduction

Hi All,
I'm just finally posting to introduce myself and join, since I have been lurking for about 2 weeks.

I started IP 2 weeks and 2 days ago, and lost 13 pounds fast. However the past few days I have not lost an ounce. Very Fustrated, but I have been sick and on antibiotics, so that's why I am telling myself I haven't lost even though I have not cheated once.

The first week was a killer, because not only am I a carb and sugarholic, (ate a half of angel food cake 2 days b4 I started IP) I have been addicted to diet coke for 10 years.. So that was extremely difficult. Felt so sluggish and tired and grumpy. The 2nd week was a little better, and now the 3rd week, I don't have any cravings, feel healthy (besides this nasty cold I have) and don't think this is a terribly hard diet anymore.

I wish I could of came up with a better user name, but oh well. I do have 5 kids. I am married and live in a small WY town. I teach piano to about 30 students a week and what else? I am going to turn 36 this year and my goal is to lose 50 pounds by then.

I've enjoyed the posts I have read so far, and they have been very encouraging. I started a blog (not 3FC) but it helps me like a journal be accountable everyday to my friends and family who know I am doing this.
However, I think it would be nice to have the suppport of people who are going through the same thing I am , so that's why I have joined this group.

I am coming up with non food rewards for every 5 pounds I have lost, and tomorrow I get a massage for my 15 (even if I am not quite there) I was supposed to be, but my darn body isn't doing what it's supposed to. So My 20 lbs reward to have to be rescheduled...

Let's see.. I never had a weight problem growing up, I mean I was normal, probably a size 10 when I got married and 130lbs.. But with the birth of each child, and being a little overweight each time I got pregnant, I managed to be 207 when I delievered my last son 13 months ago. I am just really ready to lose all this weight. I have tried different diets since the late 90's, and did well on WW, but that was 12 years ago. This time I am going to lose it and never go back.

Sorry this post is all over the place, I guess I don't know what to write for my first time.. but anyway....Grateful to all of you for your wise words!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #216  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
Hi All,
I'm just finally posting to introduce myself and join, since I have been lurking for about 2 weeks.
Great post and WELCOME. You probably know that you can't expect the same results as the first two weeks in perpetuity. And you're only 2 day into the week. But it takes time to sink in. You're doing really well, and thanks for joining us.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #217  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdigrrl View Post
newbie here, just checking in.

I started the IP diet a couple weeks ago, and I'm surprised how well I'm doing. This is the first time I've lost weight since 8th grade!

Glad to have found this forum to keep me inspired and to learn new tricks to keeping my food interesting. Thanks all for being here.

welcome!! it's nice to see someone from the bay area!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #218  
Sallycat88

S/C/G: 170.2/136.4/137

Height: 5'7"

I attended the Phase 3 / Phase 4 class last night after reaching goal yesterday. It was very informative and nice to be front and center as the Dr. was explaining why we need to eat the way we do on Phase 4. I super-duper enjoyed my first BIG BREAKFAST this morning as I have officially moved to Phase 3. Two pieces of whole wheat toasted with peanut butter and a cup of nonfat plain greek yogurt with one splenda and a cup of fresh blueberries mixed in. It's my birthday today....breakfast felt like I got my "cake" today. It was so good and I felt great after eating it, no funny side effects from the carbs. I am eagerly awaiting tomorrows. I haven't read the IP Book, but i have read all posts in Life after Phase I and basically knew everything I needed to before going to the class, but going just reinforced the fact that I can do this....forever...and it will be my Last Diet! Hope eveyone had a super weekend...best of luck to everyone on their weight loss jouneys. I will stay on the boards as this is the best support group ever!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #219  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaveLaker View Post
I have been on IP since Jan 20/11. I am 39 M and weighed 366lbs. For my 40th B-Day, I want to be on a warm beach somewhere not worrying about how disgusted people are by me.
Here is my brief update:
1st week lost - 14 lbs
2nd week lost- 9 lbs
3rd week lost - 8 lbs
4th week lost - 9 lbs
Total ............40 lbs

I am very strict with myself and do not cheat at all.
Anyone who needs help losing weight, this is YOUR answer!

Please keep in touch all as we need each other for motivation and support.
Thanks to Carla for starting this.

Good luck all!

Jamie
Nice Job Jamie! I'm from Northern Alberta too. Is there an IP clinic there in Slave Lake or do you travel to one?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 185/185/130

Height: 5'4"

I've been lurking this site, grabbing recipes and enjoying everyone's successes. I haven't posted for lack of time, or felt I didn't have much to say. Well, that's changing! I started IP January 3rd this year, and so far I'm down 27 pounds! I'm pretty proud of that!

I'd always been skinny, weighing 94 pounds when I got married the first time (in 1981). Never had a weight problem. After 21 years of marriage, got divorced and I guess I got "happy" because I started getting "fat" - you know, Fat and Happy! I remarried about 4 years ago and I went from a volumptuous 130# to 185#. I started WW at 158#, but honestly, I don't write down everything I eat, and if I have the ability to eat whatever I want - well - that's what got me to 185# to begin with! WW is a great program; it just doesn't suit me.

I was introduced to IP because a few women that were much heavier than I started losing weight - LOTS of weight - I was interested! I regularly visit the gym at work, walking about 1/2 hour, some free weights, but nothing serious. One of the other women there had some success in the past with diets, but had gotten discouraged so we opted to go on this together. It WORKS! We're each others' support system. One of the women that has lost a lot of weight is our mentor/supporter and just goes out of her way to help us with whatever we need! I don't think I would be able to stick to it without her and my "buddy".

Recently folks have started to notice my weight loss, asking what am I doing, and I've been very honest with them. Often they'll remark, "I'm not willing to give up wine," or "I love bread". I just tell them they're not ready, but when they are ready, we'll talk. No pressure, but watch my results!

I'm LOVING shopping my own closet. I'm down from a TIGHT size 14 to wearing all those 10's I loved and bought several years ago. Even my shoes are fitting better! Has anyone else had that experience?

Ok - I'll stop lurking and post more. I want one of those weight trackers! I'm 2 posts down and 18 to go before I can get one. I'm hoping to have a few more pounds gone, too!

Thanks everyone, for everything you post. I know there are others out there like me, that look and see but don't say anything!

-S.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #221  

S/C/G: S205/G145-150

Height: 5'9" **started 2/17/11**

Talking I'm so excited!

A friend of mine started the Ideal Protein diet on January 1st and when she told me about it initially I was really skeptical about it achieving its purposes without causing problems with her health. So, I sat back and watched her lose the weight (40 pounds as of last Thursday). I lost just under 10 pounds on my own by counting calories but then gained 5 back because of willpower issues.

Anyways, I did my research and learned how good the program actually is for your body (I'm preparing to go into nursing school next semester and I've got some physiology knowledge under my belt). So, I decided I'd do this for myself especially since the health risks I thought were concerns were actually NOT associated with this program.

Today is day 3 for me and all is well. Well, yesterday sucked, but I was PMSing and having cravings. Thanks to you all, I've found WF products and have been able to meet my needs as far as that's concerned.

I'm feeling great today. I had to spend a few hours with my youngest at a bday party surrounded by pizza, soda, icecream, and cake, but I wasn't tempted at all BECAUSE this morning I was actually able to fit into a pair of pants I haven't been able to wear in TWO YEARS!!! What the HECK?!?! That's insane and awesome and no amount of pizza or chocolate is going to throw me off course at this point!.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by kellibelli; 02-19-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #222  

Height: 5'6"

This is the first time I've ever posted to Ideal Protein or to any discussion group, for that matter, so pardon me if I inadvertently violate a rule. I have a lot in common with several of the people posting, I think: I too have tried to lose weight all my life, mostly without significant success except that I lost 60 lb. after my first child was born. Two miscarriages and a thankfully successful pregnancy followed, and by then I had gained about 50 pounds back. Years of dieting on my own, Weight Watchers, treatment for thyroid deficiency, exercise programs, etc. followed, but my body had changed a lot, it seem -- nothing would take that weight off! I got discouraged, since it didn't seem to matter whether I dieted or ate what I wanted -- so I chose what I wanted, of course.

I started IP on January 21. I don't know how much I've lost. I didn't want to know my starting weight because I knew it would be so discouraging I might simply give up at that point. So I agreed to be weighed and measured, and have been weighed and measured several times since then, but I don't yet know the numbers. My doctor / coach says I'm doing well, and I can tell that I'm losing weight, and I feel great, so I'm pretty happy with IP.

I too was / am a carboholic and loved diet soda, so adjusting to the diet was hard, but it wasn't impossible and it got easier fast, so by about the end of ht second week, resisting carb and sugar temptations was no longer difficult.

I want to lose about 80 pounds over the course of 2011. I don't cheat on the diet but I have made conscious decisions to deviate slightly -- twice by having a small glass of wine on a special occasion, twice by eating a larger quantity of "limited" vegetables (red peppers and tomatoes, my favorites!). Otherwise I'm pretty compliant with the IP program and I can see that it's working.

I found this website about two weeks ago and have "lurked" since then and been really encouraged by the postings here. I'm glad to have found this supportive community.

It's hard to introduce yourself! But that was my effort and thanks to all of you for the insightful postings and the support. I'm glad to be here.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #223  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyHappy View Post
This is the first time I've ever posted to Ideal Protein or to any discussion group, for that matter, so pardon me if I inadvertently violate a rule. I have a lot in common with several of the people posting, I think: I too have tried to lose weight all my life, mostly without significant success except that I lost 60 lb. after my first child was born. Two miscarriages and a thankfully successful pregnancy followed, and by then I had gained about 50 pounds back. Years of dieting on my own, Weight Watchers, treatment for thyroid deficiency, exercise programs, etc. followed, but my body had changed a lot, it seem -- nothing would take that weight off! I got discouraged, since it didn't seem to matter whether I dieted or ate what I wanted -- so I chose what I wanted, of course.

I started IP on January 21. I don't know how much I've lost. I didn't want to know my starting weight because I knew it would be so discouraging I might simply give up at that point. So I agreed to be weighed and measured, and have been weighed and measured several times since then, but I don't yet know the numbers. My doctor / coach says I'm doing well, and I can tell that I'm losing weight, and I feel great, so I'm pretty happy with IP.

I too was / am a carboholic and loved diet soda, so adjusting to the diet was hard, but it wasn't impossible and it got easier fast, so by about the end of ht second week, resisting carb and sugar temptations was no longer difficult.

I want to lose about 80 pounds over the course of 2011. I don't cheat on the diet but I have made conscious decisions to deviate slightly -- twice by having a small glass of wine on a special occasion, twice by eating a larger quantity of "limited" vegetables (red peppers and tomatoes, my favorites!). Otherwise I'm pretty compliant with the IP program and I can see that it's working.

I found this website about two weeks ago and have "lurked" since then and been really encouraged by the postings here. I'm glad to have found this supportive community.

It's hard to introduce yourself! But that was my effort and thanks to all of you for the insightful postings and the support. I'm glad to be here.
I tend to lurk too - so
Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #224  

I'm excited to get started!

Unfortunately a horrid nasty cold has set me back a few day... home with it instead of being able to meet for my IP orientation. Ugh, but it has given me time to sit and read this entire thread today. What an awe inspiring bunch of people : ) !!!

A bit about me - I am a food addict! First and foremost, food seems to rule my life. I wake up thinking about what I'm going to eat, what fast-food place sounds tempting, and which one I'm tired of, or what I'm going to purchase at the store to fix for supper. I have lunch at the hospital where I work, and anyone who thinks hospital food is yucky hasn't feasted at my hospital. They offer a wonderful selection and I look forward to it daily.

My husband and I celebrated our 26 wedding anniversary last November, and we have 2 sons, both grown. I'm proud of my little family, and I want to be here to see grandchildren born and raised.

I have been sucessful at weight loss in the past through WW. I think it's an excellent program and I lost 50 pounds several years ago. A sudden death in the family got me off track, and the emotional eating took over. I never seemed to be able to grasp WW again. I signed up again a couple of times, but found some excuse or other to drop out.

Now, I'm to the point of No More Excuses. I can take charge of my life, or I might as well go pay for my funeral and save family the trouble. I'll be needing it soon enough if I don't make some drastic changes. I weigh more than I ever have at just over 300 pounds. I thought I was fat back when I married at 18 and weighed 145. If only I knew then what I know now...

I have always felt low carb was a key to weight loss for me since reading Atkins book years and years ago. I feel better when I'm not so stuffed full of carbs, but I never wanted to go to the 'trouble' of figuring it all out long term. A week here, a week there, and it was bye bye Atkins.

I can do this. Now is the time. I have son who was diagnosed with severe food allergies at age 20. He's now 23, for over 3 years he has had to be dairy, egg, and wheat free. Do you know how many everyday foods contain those ingredients? I see him eat exactly the way he should to manage his condition. No meals out... he hasn't had a meal out for 3 years and has nothing that isn't cooked in his kitchen or mine. He has to watch food labels for 'hidden' allergens. After hitting the 300 pound point myself, it really hit me broadside (ha) that if this child of mine, this young man of mine, can watch his diet for his health, through college and dating, I, the parent, certainly can watch mine too, for my own health. When he was first diagnosed, I constantly checked his foods to make sure he was eating correctly. Who was I to do that? When I can't even manage to control what I put in my own mouth? That is changing. For me, for him, for the rest of my family.

Guess that's a little more than a 'little bit about yourself'. But it's my little life in a nutshell : ) .

Last edited by RetroChick; 02-22-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #225  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

Hi!
I'm Chris. I'm using the screen name of Lucky Chick because that was my name in the football pool I was in during the last season. I was one of 19 participants and I won the pool. I decided if I could be 'lucky' with that then I had finally arrived and would be successful with this!

I am 40 y.o. (almost 41) and have two wonderful daughters who are 3 and 5. As a gift to myself I ran my first 1/2 marathon before my second daughter turned 1. Then I ran 4 more. Great accomplishments, but then I had a stress fracture. Then back problems... now I go to the gym, but haven't been running.

I have been a successful dieter for years. My only issue with dieting is keeping the weight off. LOL I successfully navigated WW a few years ago and lost about 23 pounds. For a variety of reasons I'm now close to where I started when I did WW.

For me the difference this time is the fact that I am resetting my body and letting it adjust along the way. WW was a game for me. I'm an engineer by schooling so I worked to 'maximize' my point utilization. I'd start by putting my wine allocation for the day (yes, you read that right) into my spreadsheet and then I planned the rest of my day. I used way too many processed foods and tried to game the system. I have NEVER thought as much about food as I did when I was on WW. I was obsessed.

I think IP is going to be a great fit for me. Not much thinking in the early stages (besides being creative with veggies). How much better can it get? Seafood, meat, veggies... This diet puts me in my happy place. If only that happy place had carb-free, sugar-free wine...

I'm not good at on-line communities, but I'm going to try. I'm an all or nothing gal at times. Today I couldn't get away from the posts so I didn't get enough work done. Balance. It is all about balance.

Unfortunately, balance isn't something that comes easily for me. So it is full speed ahead for me for now. Look out world. I'm going to rock this life change! (I'm not calling it a diet.)
Closed Thread