3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat - Wed. 10 Nov. 2010 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/217042-ip-daily-chat-wed-10-nov-2010-a.html)

EatAnts 11-10-2010 06:21 AM

IP Daily Chat - Wed. 10 Nov. 2010

Welcome and welcome back to the Daily Chat thread -- introduce yourself, post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!
:welcome3:

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-Scale Victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

3FATCHICKS Forum Technical Stuff

Tickers and signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have
  • been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days
  • AND
  • posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum.
When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread
for more information and instructions.

Search: If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using Google. More information is here in this Search tip using Google

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Other helpful links

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website

PDF file of Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book, The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You

sheila1971 11-10-2010 07:15 AM

Thankyou to whom ever it was that I read about supplementing with new life styles diet, I still do ideal protein packages but wow what a selection. Hope you all have a great wed.

EatAnts 11-10-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheila1971 (Post 3561780)
Thankyou to whom ever it was that I read about supplementing with new life styles diet, I still do ideal protein packages but wow what a selection. Hope you all have a great wed.

Nashua Nutrition has some good ones too.

Pinky 11-10-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich (Post 3561440)
Question for you more veteran IPers... Does anyone supplement all their IP packets with a protein shake from protein powder? Like something you would buy at GNC? I can't really justify spending more money on packets, but sometimes I could really go for a shake on my way to work (6 am), packet on my morning break (9am), lunch (12), dinner (5pm) and snack (7pm). I'm usually hungry on my way to work but I don't like having my packet then when I know that I will have 5 hours minimum before lunch. I work in surgery, so it's not the kind of thing where I can snack during the morning! I was thinking about getting a canister of protein powder and having one of those on my way to work. Any thoughts?

Some days I need a 4th "packet" too, and took a suggestion from some of the others here to try the Premier Nutrition protein shakes from Costco. They taste very good (think Slim-fast chocolate flavour) and are very reasonably priced at 18 ready to go shakes for $28.

JudoGirl 11-10-2010 07:46 AM

off to weigh I go

Ok today will be my 4th weigh in...I'm ready..I always get nervous before
I weigh..the night before and I know I shouldn't but its always been like
that no matter what program I've been on...

I'm getting a little confused...
in my program it says no cabbage and root veggies...
so are the turnips.. turnip greens or realy turnips..??
and do some of you eat green cabbage...????

My doctor is new at this..so the support is not really there..
I'm going to see today if they have the cookbook..if now anyone know where
I can buy it...
Thank you everyone for being there for the newbies of the program...

Mariann 11-10-2010 07:47 AM

Just started....

Hello! I wanted to introduce myself. Started IP last week and I am really finding it easy and I am not starving. I have not been successful on diets before so this is terrific. I feel thinner but my first weigh in is Friday... wish me luck!!

PS Soooo happy I found this board, lots of great advice!

iowahawkeyemom 11-10-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariann (Post 3561820)
Hello! I wanted to introduce myself. Started IP last week and I am really finding it easy and I am not starving. I have not been successful on diets before so this is terrific. I feel thinner but my first weigh in is Friday... wish me luck!!

Welcome to this site! Ip is also the first diet that has ever worked for me and works quickly if you follow it perfectly. Good luck and welcome aboard! We are glad you are here.

sheila1971 11-10-2010 08:27 AM

Eatants, Thankyou I just ordered some items from them. I am excited about the variety.

Coqui 11-10-2010 08:49 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

I am curious about drinks with aspartame. Has anyone noticed a difference in weight loss while taking these drinks vs. those with splenda? I personally use Pure Via (stevia) for my coffee, but I am not aware of any drinks out there with this ingredient. I'm asking because my first week I lost 9 pound and my second only 2, granted that the first week is more water weight. During week 2, I had a diet snapple with aspartame everyday (0 carbs, 0 calories). This week I decided not drink anything with aspartame to see if there is a difference. I'm on week three without restricted foods. I WI on Saturday so we'll see what happens. Have a great day! God Bless!

Medicmom734 11-10-2010 09:13 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

Had a busy night shift, just got home from work! It's pouring rain here, and freezing when it lands. Its like a skating rink out there! Glad my shift is over, it could make for a busy day in the Ambulance!

I have been taking pictures all along with my weekly weigh ins. I noticed that there was something different about my last picture, but couldn't put my finger on it because it wasn't size, then realize, OMG, my hail damage is gone off my belly!!!!! NO CELLULITE! It's smooth and pretty!!!!!!!!

Congrats Tennessee, that is super exciting news. Please keep us updated. Babies are so exciting!

COQUI - I used aspartame for the first 2 weeks and didn't notice anything. I occasionally still use them when I'm on the road with work and can't find a pop with a Splenda sweetener! Some can use it, some can't!

Well, off on the highway to go pick up my little guy from Grandma's. He spent the night there last night. It will be slow going on the highways this morning!

JOURNEYSEND - If you're headed out today, be careful. It's not just wet, its frozen and VERY icy!

Have a great day!

kaarin 11-10-2010 09:22 AM

Good morning fellow IPers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudoGirl (Post 3561817)

I can buy it...

Good luck on your WI today! My understanding is that the only root veggie you can eat is turnip as it has less carbs than others. We had a big discussion on the difference between turnip and rutabaga a few days ago as many of us thought they were one and the same. My sheet says no green cabbage, but red is okay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coqui (Post 3561888)
Good Morning Everyone!

I am curious about drinks with aspartame. Has anyone noticed a difference in weight loss while taking these drinks vs. those with splenda? I personally use Pure Via (stevia) for my coffee, but I am not aware of any drinks out there with this ingredient. I'm asking because my first week I lost 9 pound and my second only 2, granted that the first week is more water weight. During week 2, I had a diet snapple with aspartame everyday (0 carbs, 0 calories). This week I decided not drink anything with aspartame to see if there is a difference. I'm on week three without restricted foods. I WI on Saturday so we'll see what happens. Have a great day! God Bless!

I believe the deal with aspartame is that it's just generally not good for you- not that it will slow weight loss. Splenda, Stevia and sucralose are all the same thing (at least I'm 99% sure of this - oh wise ones, please correct me if I'm wrong). These latter are the sweeteners of choice.

Have a great day everyone!

sheila1971 11-10-2010 09:33 AM

hmmm my coach had said brussel sprouts were ok but that is green cabbage?

Journeysend 11-10-2010 09:38 AM

Good Wed. Morning Everyone!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariann (Post 3561820)

Mariann: :welcome: you have found a very important tool to use with IP...this Forum!!! Tons of info, support and friendship...glad to have you on board!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medicmom734 (Post 3561926)
Good Morning Everyone!

Had a busy night shift, just got home from work! It's pouring rain here, and freezing when it lands. Its like a skating rink out there! Glad my shift is over, it could make for a busy day in the Ambulance!

I have been taking pictures all along with my weekly weigh ins. I noticed that there was something different about my last picture, but couldn't put my finger on it because it wasn't size, then realize, OMG, my hail damage is gone off my belly!!!!! NO CELLULITE! It's smooth and pretty!!!!!!!!

Congrats Tennessee, that is super exciting news. Please keep us updated. Babies are so exciting!

COQUI - I used aspartame for the first 2 weeks and didn't notice anything. I occasionally still use them when I'm on the road with work and can't find a pop with a Splenda sweetener! Some can use it, some can't!

Well, off on the highway to go pick up my little guy from Grandma's. He spent the night there last night. It will be slow going on the highways this morning!

JOURNEYSEND - If you're headed out today, be careful. It's not just wet, its frozen and VERY icy!

Have a great day!

Thanks for the advice...yes I have to go to Swan this morning for an 11am appointment...hope the roads aren't quite so bad by then :(
Take care!!

SJackson 11-10-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheila1971 (Post 3561958)
hmmm my coach had said brussel sprouts were ok but that is green cabbage?

My IP sheet says that brussel sprouts are on the "occasional" vege list that is restricted to 2 x a week only.

joellio 11-10-2010 10:17 AM

My list sais the same thing about brussel sprouts. A restricted veggie. I have my next official WI on Friday and I'm getting anxious. My coach was out of town last week so I didn't have a WI and I'm so curious as to what it is going to say... I have my scale at home but it is new and so I have no clue how accurate it is... The numbers are going down which is a good sign but still... I am anxious. This is my 4th week so I still have this fear that this isn't really working... my clothes are looser and I feel better but I don't think anyone is really noticing anything yet or at least they are not telling me if they are seeing a difference. 2 more days! How bad is it that I am starting to obsess about the scale when I started I just wanted to be healthier... now I am excited about being thinner.

SJackson 11-10-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joellio (Post 3562026)
My list sais the same thing about brussel sprouts. A restricted veggie. I have my next official WI on Friday and I'm getting anxious. My coach was out of town last week so I didn't have a WI and I'm so curious as to what it is going to say... I have my scale at home but it is new and so I have no clue how accurate it is... The numbers are going down which is a good sign but still... I am anxious. This is my 4th week so I still have this fear that this isn't really working... my clothes are looser and I feel better but I don't think anyone is really noticing anything yet or at least they are not telling me if they are seeing a difference. 2 more days! How bad is it that I am starting to obsess about the scale when I started I just wanted to be healthier... now I am excited about being thinner.

I share your fear and I'm totally addicted to my scale, which is not a good thing. It shows the numbers going down, but no one has really noticed yet. Not even my BF. As of this morning my scale says 14 lbs gone and I'm into my 5th week. I was supposed to have a WI yesterday, but the doctor was called away, so I'm going today. I really want to strip off all my clothes and get on her scale....LOL

lobolexus 11-10-2010 10:25 AM

Happy Hump Day!!!

Goood Morning!!

Just stopping in to say Hello!!!! Hope everyone is enjoying their week and staying on plan!!! :sunny:

sheila1971 11-10-2010 10:30 AM

joellio: I see we are the same height. When i was 198 it wasn't until I got around 175 that people were like wow!! It's because we are so darn short but don't worry it will happen.

Mamadancer 11-10-2010 10:35 AM

Morning All! Just wanted to share a NSV with you. I've been feeling a little bummed this week as the scale has not been moving as usual but I needed a new pair of dress pants for work (the baggy butt is getting embarrassing!;) ) I just got a pair Size 10! that used to be my dream size! I also got a 36D bra! :dance: Feeling better about that stupid scale.

Tennessee - congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

My coach also says to avoid all aspartame. When I was pregnant I was told to stay away from it because it wasn't good for the baby. I still won't let my kids (now teens) have anything with aspartame in it.

Mamadancer 11-10-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheila1971 (Post 3562049)
joellio: I see we are the same height. When i was 198 it wasn't until I got around 175 that people were like wow!! It's because we are so darn short but don't worry it will happen.

People still won't comment to me. I've lost over 40lbs and the only people who have commented are the ones I have told about the plan from the beginning(husband, 2 best friends) The weight loss is obvious but some people just don't want to acknowledge it. I don't know if it is jealousy, they feel uncomfortable, or they are just too wrapped up in themselves, but it is discouraging.:( How I feel is more important then what they say.

PepperGal 11-10-2010 11:02 AM

IP Daily Chat - Wed. 10 Nov. 2010

I made it through my first WI. Minus 9! :) Even if it was water weight, I sure don't miss it!

This week I will move my snack between lunch and dinner. Guess I will add lettuce for dinner also. I thought lettuce ~ and the second teaspoon of oil ~ were optional, not required. :carrot:

iowahawkeyemom 11-10-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamadancer (Post 3562073)
People still won't comment to me. I've lost over 40lbs and the only people who have commented are the ones I have told about the plan from the beginning(husband, 2 best friends) The weight loss is obvious but some people just don't want to acknowledge it. I don't know if it is jealousy, they feel uncomfortable, or they are just too wrapped up in themselves, but it is discouraging.:( How I feel is more important then what they say.

I think people are a little jealous. Especially females! Lately I have had people start to notice and say something to me. Yesterday, I had my pharmacist ask, "just how much weight have you lost"? She hadn't seen me for some time since I no longer take any meds.

I've been in that frame of mind before, when I saw other people losing weight and I would get a little jealous that they were doing it and I wasn't. Now the shoe is on the other foot!

iowahawkeyemom 11-10-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepperGal (Post 3562114)
I made it through my first WI. Minus 9! :) Even if it was water weight, I sure don't miss it!

This week I will move my snack between lunch and dinner. Guess I will add lettuce for dinner also. I thought lettuce ~ and the second teaspoon of oil ~ were optional, not required. :carrot:

NINE POUNDS! Awesome job! I try to eat my lettuce with two meals but don't always get it done. But, I've been told that we are suppose to. Helps fill you up and helps with keeping you regular.

natchamp 11-10-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Good Morning Everyone!

I am curious about drinks with aspartame. Has anyone noticed a difference in weight loss while taking these drinks vs. those with splenda? I personally use Pure Via (stevia) for my coffee, but I am not aware of any drinks out there with this ingredient.

I found a soda pop called Nevia at the store the other day. In was in the "health food isle" or section of the the snack isle. They were there with he Hansen's and Blue Sky sodas. I didn't get any, but I will next time.

natchamp 11-10-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaarin (Post 3561942)
Splenda, Stevia and sucralose are all the same thing (at least I'm 99% sure of this - oh wise ones, please correct me if I'm wrong). These latter are the sweeteners of choice.

Splenda is the brand name of sucralose with is a chemical dirivitive of sugar. Stevia is an extract of the stevia plant. They are unrelated.

wyoangel 11-10-2010 11:37 AM

amylew- the spreadsheet you are working on...is this alternative packets...not IP? I was wondering because if it is, maybe we should specify what brand they are...I order from nashua and lindora and they all have differences. If it is, I could work on it....I have quite a few boxes at home....and a few here at work. Let me know!

darn scale hasn't budged again for 4 days....I hate the nonbudge. Ugh

Went to supper last night and ordered a spicy chicken salad (it was Mexican night). It came in a taco bowl....so I dumped it out and handed the bowl down the table for others to munch on. Problem was......the salad was nothing more than a side salad with chicken. BOO!!! In my frustration/hunger, I ended up eating 2 small softshell tacos off of a friend's plate. I know, :nono: and I regretted it, lesson learned. Stick with what you know....don't depend on a salad being big! Naughty Julie!

wyoangel 11-10-2010 11:42 AM

Uh, duh....sorrry amylew....just noticed the tabs! Lol!

sheila1971 11-10-2010 12:08 PM

mama dancer: I think it is jealousy, but you also have to remember something they are jealous because of the time, effort,stress,excitement, all of that that goes into any thing in life but weight loss is a hard one.

Julie: What were you meaning by being different with the food packs? I can deal with half the price versus 90+ a week it was to the point I really couldn't afford being on the program anymore, but I do love the variety.

100ButterflyKisses 11-10-2010 12:26 PM

Hope everyone's having a great day! Linden thank you for answering about the pills. I spent way too much time trying to go back and find the post I thought I had read, and didn't want to have to try again. Oh, and thanks everyone for talking about how great the Cheese Curls are. I finally tried them last night and yum!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudoGirl (Post 3561817)

I can buy it...

Always forget to ask about them, but I believe there are 3 Recipe Books. I'm sure prices vary, but at my place you can order them for $15 each.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaarin (Post 3561942)
Good morning fellow IPers!

Good luck on your WI today! My understanding is that the only root veggie you can eat is turnip as it has less carbs than others. We had a big discussion on the difference between turnip and rutabaga a few days ago as many of us thought they were one and the same. My sheet says no green cabbage, but red is okay.
Have a great day everyone!

Thanks for pointing that out! My sheet says cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy) and I never even noticed the parenthesis! I have a head of green cabbage and no idea if its any of those. I was going to make some cabbage soup today too!

Quote:

I wonder if it doesn't make people uncomfortable. My bf's family is all short, tiny women (under 120). They are very size conscious and always comment on each others gains or losses. Well, I guess he had told his mother I was dieting and she came over yesterday. She saw the box I keep my food in and started going through it so then asked if its worked. When I told her I'd lost 15 lbs she didn't even comment and instead was like oh no, they're all packets, what are you going to eat for thanksgiving? I was really bummed and confused since they all make a big deal over 2 lbs with each other. I chalked it up to the fact that it's easier for her to ignore it, kinda like how I've gained 60 lbs while I've been with him and no one's ever commented (thankfully!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by natchamp (Post 3562133)
I found a soda pop called Nevia at the store the other day. In was in the "health food isle" or section of the the snack isle. They were there with he Hansen's and Blue Sky sodas. I didn't get any, but I will next time.

I was told to avoid carbonated beverages. Can't remember the reason why though.

tedski 11-10-2010 12:38 PM

Carbonated beverages

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100ButterflyKisses (Post 3562268)
I was told to avoid carbonated beverages. Can't remember the reason why though.

The way it was explained to me is that carbonated beverages contain carbonic acid. The IP diet is an alkaline diet, and the carbonic acid diminishes the effects of the diet.

tbf410 11-10-2010 12:55 PM

I've returned

Hello everyone, I hope you've all had a good past week. I've been gone to a conference for the past week and a half and am just getting back. I was very concerned that I was going to have problems staying on the diet while I was away. I went to Orlando and let me tell you it wasn't easy, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. I did a great job of staying on diet and getting restaurants to sub veggies for me. The thing that threw a wrench in my plans was my back went out while I was gone and I had to start medication for it. I found that if I didn't eat when I took my medicine I got loopy. I was very concerned but I called my coach and she told me that my back was more important and if I had to modify my diet to take the medicine it was no problem. After hearing that it made it easier for me and while I did have to stray a bit from the plan my goal was to come home and not have a net gain for the two weeks between my last WI and the one when I got home. Well last night was the big WI and I was so pleased. Not only did I not gain weight, but i had a loss of 4.4lbs! I also got measured last night. Yesterday was 2 months from the day I started (sept 9) and I can proudly say I've lost a total of 21.25 inches!! I am so excited about that and the fact that I didn't gain any weight while at my conference that I immediately called my parents who are also on the diet to tell them. It is a great feeling to know that I can travel and do things like that and stick to the plan. It really showed me that by sticking to the plan I see results so I was able to avoid the temptation of the cake and cookies in my office today.

If you read this far in my post, thanks. If you just skimmed my post thanks! The support from this forum really helps me stay on track.

Jess

Coqui 11-10-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedski (Post 3562295)
The way it was explained to me is that carbonated beverages contain carbonic acid. The IP diet is an alkaline diet, and the carbonic acid diminishes the effects of the diet.

Yes I was told the same thing. Too bad is a carbonated beverage. Anyway since splenda is allowed I will look for those. Thanks for the tip.

amyniagara 11-10-2010 01:03 PM

Congrats on your 4th weigh-in - I am just about to enter Phase II. I found it helpful to buy the ketosis strips and test each morning - because as long as you are in ketosis you will have tons of energy and burn fat for your fuel.

Chinese Cabbage is allowed (grilled or steamed) but not the normal cabbages.

Have you downloaded the book by Chanh Tran Tien? You can get it here: http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique28

I just love the Ideal Protein diet and I hope you are inspired as well.

joellio 11-10-2010 01:13 PM

Wow Jess that is great! Congrats on making it through you trip and staying on plan! Well I was a little bummed because I have my 5 year service appreciation supper and they are going to the chineese restaurant. They have a buffet and I knew there was NOTHING on the buffet that I could eat and stay on plan. So I respectfully declined the invitation. My supervisor just asked me why I couldn't make it so I explained that the buffet was so way off course for me... it wasn't even funny. So he is getting an exception for me... He is making the arrangements for me to get grilled chicken and steamed veggies (no onions no carrots)... dry no added sauce or MSV no spices. Will bring my own chineese spice. I am very happy that he really wants me there and is so supportive of my attempt to follow protocol! I'm thinking he is the best supervisor ever. That may change by tomorrow but for today he is my hero! LOL

amyniagara 11-10-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

The same is true with me - I've lost 34 pounds and my own SISTER hasn't said a single thing this entire time - in fact when I told her I'd lost weight she said "really? I hadn't even noticed!"

Few know how to be supportive when it comes to weight loss - most are uncomfortable and don't know what to say. I think they're afraid that if they are encouraging that they are saying we weren't good-looking when we weighed more. Others just feel bad about themselves and are too busy thinking about their own weight issues to find a way to say anything uplifting. Still others have seen me lose weight before and they are probably thinking "yeah...we've seen you do this before...you'll gain it back"

After all these years I can finally say that I don't need other people to notice my weight loss - I am my own best friend in this situation - I am the one who gets to say "yay me!"

jartiles 11-10-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Good Morning Everyone!

Sobe Life Water makes some 0 calorie drinks that are all sweetened with PureVia. And, Powerade Zero is sweetened with sucralose (aka Splenda).

jartiles 11-10-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedski (Post 3562295)

It's interesting (sometimes frustrating) how different coaches provide different information. I was never told to stay away from carbonated beverages. I drink seltzer water all the time, and was told by my coach that it was ok. I should clarify that I drink unsweeted seltzer water, but a carbonated beverage none the less. I can understand staying away from diet sodas, not just because of the aspartame, but also all of the other junk that's in them, but seltzer seems harmless IMHO. Anyway, I don't think that it's had any negative effect on my weight loss so far.

AmyonIP 11-10-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

I must say....from your profile pic, your feet look skinny!! :D Good work!

Mamadancer 11-10-2010 01:41 PM

After my little whine this morning(:cry:) I finally got a compliment! A women I used to work with told me that not only do I look great but that I'm being discussed in the staff room as in "wow! What is she doing?" People are noticing but for whatever reason just can't tell me.

My coach said I could have carbonated water. It has nothing in it but water and natural flavor. However, not a lot of taste either. I'm thinking about having it with some flavour added and maybe Splenda.

AmyonIP 11-10-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJackson (Post 3562036)
I share your fear and I'm totally addicted to my scale, which is not a good thing. It shows the numbers going down, but no one has really noticed yet. Not even my BF. As of this morning my scale says 14 lbs gone and I'm into my 5th week. I was supposed to have a WI yesterday, but the doctor was called away, so I'm going today. I really want to strip off all my clothes and get on her scale....LOL

I asked my coach if I could take off my jeans to weigh in, she gave me a funny look. I had to tell her I was kidding. :o