Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyonIP View Post
Regarding the Turnip/Rutabaga.....Last night I bought one that said turnip under it and it was white with a purple top. I sliced it into flat circles, put on Olive oil and salt and baked it. The middle of them was ok, but the outside was crunchy as in hard to eat. I might not have cooked them long enough. As far as zuchinni, I never thought I would like it, but I've done what the recipe threads say to do on baking it, and I was craving it last night really bad! I am so glad it wasn't brownies or something ick like normal! I have my WI tomorrow and I'll keep you posted. I'm worried because my scale doesn't show much of a move Hopefully things will get moving soon. Have a great day everyone!
Sounds like rutabaga. Did you peel it? Sounds like maybe a stupid question, but I wasn't sure myself. You definitely have to peel rutabaga and it's a pretty thick skin. I think you have to peel turnip too.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #77  

I just finished a little workout on my Wii and checked my weight. It says 203 lbs!!! I'm not going to jinx it by changing my ticker, I'll wait until Tuesday's official WI for that, BUT, I'm pretty damn excited!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #78  
Started IP 8/29/10

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadancer View Post
I have seen a lot of mention of "miracle noodles" but I can't seem to find them. I live in a small town so my grocery store is limited. I live near the US border so I can shop "across" but that is also a small town. I looked on Netrition but didn't see them there. Help?
Mamadancer, you can order the miracles noodles from their website: www.miraclenoodle.com. If you have a health food store in your community, you may want to check there first. I live in Saskatoon and found them at a health food store that has a small grocery section. My IP coach also carries them, but they're $2 cheaper at the store.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeQueLoca View Post
About how much do you all spend a week on IP and the food for your dinners? I noticed when I talk to the people I know on IP they never really talk about the price like its almost too much to mention. I even asked my soon-to-be coach and he didn't really give me a straight forward answer. I am guessing $120/week?
I use four packets a day, and buy four boxes total a week, which are $27 apiece. It's a slightly better deal than buying items by the packet ($4 each.)

Because my husband was on the program for several weeks too, we ended up with a variety, which was nice.

Our vegetables and meat vary and it's harder to assign a fixed cost to them since we buy grass fed meat from a farm which is more expensive than a supermarket cut.

I think if you estimate what you would spend on vegetables and meat depending on where you buy them, and then add the cost of 3-4 packets a day you could come up with a cost.

Remember that you will not be spending any money on alcohol, Starbucks, fast food or takeout, candy, treats, indulgences, and other in-between expenditures that people tend not to count in their food budget.

For us it's a wash, and we consider good health well worth the cost. The savings in future medicines that we won't have to take is also worth considering. IP is an investment in your future.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #80  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWayForGood View Post
Hey, I used a couple teaspoons of this one night when I needed it, but saw on the bottle it should be used or disposed of within 24 hours or something to that effect. Do you continue to use the bottle daily until gone? I'd prefer to go this route, but didn't know if the bottle would "last" or something would negatively happen if I kept it past the 24 hrs.

Probably a dumb question, but thanks!
I just checked my bottle and it doesn't say anything about using it within 24 hours. I have used one bottle for as long as a week. Sometimes just 4 or 5 days. But it is cheap - Wal-Mart $1.04. Cheapest thing on this diet.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #81  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
Sounds like rutabaga. Did you peel it? Sounds like maybe a stupid question, but I wasn't sure myself. You definitely have to peel rutabaga and it's a pretty thick skin. I think you have to peel turnip too.
I just took the potato peeler to it, but I must not have gone down far enough. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #82  

I'm just heading out for a nice long walk on this beautiful fall day, but wanted to post some progress pictures first. Here's the link.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ss-photos.html
Old 11-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #83  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
What a great website! I've definitely put that in my favourites. Let me add my thanks for all the research, encouragement and humour that you add to this site.

I'm not sure, but I think this might be one of those Canada/US things. Maybe it's a difference in size? I wondered about it too - Safeway (and my mom) says they are the same thing. I LOVE the turnip. I found a recipe in the recipe thread that says to slice it into 1/4 inch slices, brush with EVOO, sprinkle with sea salt and bake 20 minutes at 400. Delicious! Definitely a good alternative to potato.
"Although closely related, turnips and rutabagas are different. Most turnips are white-fleshed and most rutabagas are yellow-fleshed, but there are also white-fleshed rutabagas and yellow-fleshed turnips. Turnips and rutabagas have a different number of chromosomes. Botanical studies indicate that a rare hybridization between a cabbage (18 chromosomes) and turnip (20 chromosomes) resulted in the rutabaga (38 chromosomes), which was probably first found in Europe in the late Middle Ages.

Turnips are smooth and have several circles of ridges at the base of their leaves with white flesh and purple-tinged white skin. Small young turnips are delicate and slightly sweet; as they age, their taste becomes stronger and their texture woody. Rutabagas are larger, rounder, denser, and sweeter than turnips."

One cup of rutabagas, 140 grams, has 11.38 grams of carbs, 7.84 grams of sugar, and 50 calories. Same amount of turnips has 39 calories, 9 carbs, and 5.32 grams of sugar.

2 cups of rutabagas = about the same amount of total carbs I eat in a day.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 187/152/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
"Although closely related, turnips and rutabagas are different. Most turnips are white-fleshed and most rutabagas are yellow-fleshed, but there are also white-fleshed rutabagas and yellow-fleshed turnips. Turnips and rutabagas have a different number of chromosomes. Botanical studies indicate that a rare hybridization between a cabbage (18 chromosomes) and turnip (20 chromosomes) resulted in the rutabaga (38 chromosomes), which was probably first found in Europe in the late Middle Ages.

Turnips are smooth and have several circles of ridges at the base of their leaves with white flesh and purple-tinged white skin. Small young turnips are delicate and slightly sweet; as they age, their taste becomes stronger and their texture woody. Rutabagas are larger, rounder, denser, and sweeter than turnips."

One cup of rutabagas, 140 grams, has 11.38 grams of carbs, 7.84 grams of sugar, and 50 calories. Same amount of turnips has 39 calories, 9 carbs, and 5.32 grams of sugar.

No wonder the 2 cups of turnips that one day threw me out of ketosis for a bit
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #85  
THE ONE AND ONLY!

S/C/G: 203/203/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal88 View Post
I use four packets a day, and buy four boxes total a week, which are $27 apiece. It's a slightly better deal than buying items by the packet ($4 each.)

Because my husband was on the program for several weeks too, we ended up with a variety, which was nice.

Our vegetables and meat vary and it's harder to assign a fixed cost to them since we buy grass fed meat from a farm which is more expensive than a supermarket cut.

I think if you estimate what you would spend on vegetables and meat depending on where you buy them, and then add the cost of 3-4 packets a day you could come up with a cost.

Remember that you will not be spending any money on alcohol, Starbucks, fast food or takeout, candy, treats, indulgences, and other in-between expenditures that people tend not to count in their food budget.

For us it's a wash, and we consider good health well worth the cost. The savings in future medicines that we won't have to take is also worth considering. IP is an investment in your future.
My husband and I don't hardly ever go out to eat or get fast food so I homemake EVERYTHING which tends to get expensive with some of the recipes I use. I'm certain once on IP my grocery bill will hardly be what it was before but I still have to factor in the food my husband and daughter want to eat. I am secretly trying to get him to eat healthier without him realizing it and its working! MWAHAHAHA *evil laugh*
Old 11-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #86  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

Thanks Linden! You are always such a wealth of knowledge on this stuff. Much appreciated. So I guess I'd better give my rutabaga to my sister. Too bad - I really liked it. I'll try and find some turnip instead, but I think they might be out of season...
Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 213/196/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkyparry View Post
Happy you liked the recipe...I knew after I ate the 1st package as "cereal" UGH, I would be making it into something...we're a crea tive bunch here! Good for you being back on track...

Marilyn
Hi Pumkyparry, I missed the recipe for pancakes from cereal. Can you repeat? I'm needing breakfast ideas. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #88  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Enjoying my chocolate drink today for the first time as hot chocolate! It makes a wonderful (but expensive) hot chocolate. Yum!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #89  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbrandt View Post
Hi Pumkyparry, I missed the recipe for pancakes from cereal. Can you repeat? I'm needing breakfast ideas. Thanks!
I made myself a good treat for lunch today but could be used for breakfast or a snack. I made plain crepes, rolled them up with WF strawberry jam then drizzled WF chocolate syrup over them. YUM!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 247/208/175

Height: 5 ft. 6 in.

Default My dad gave up the fight

For the last month or so, my dad has been really struggling and suffering with COPD and alzheimer's. He has been on hospice care for some time as well. We moved him and my mom into my sister's home. My sister is a nurse and helped to take very good care of him. The last week has been really tough. He finally gave up today around noon. Please keep my mom and family in your thoughts and prayers. My mom and dad have been married for 57 years. He was a wonderful father.
Closed Thread