3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Hair Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/215794-hair-loss.html)

shrinkingsusie 10-26-2010 08:20 AM

Hair Loss

I posted in the daily thread a couple days but didn't really get a lot of input, so I will try again here...

Just wondering from those who have experienced/are experiencing hair loss...

I have been losing a LOT of hair for almost a month and a half now. Just wondering from people who have lost hair as well how long it lasted before it stopped... I started with THICK hair so I wasn't too worried, but now I'm starting to get a little worried the thinner my hair gets. Thanks.

I'm svelting! 10-26-2010 08:44 PM

Hair loss, telogen effluvium, explanation

The phenomenon is called telogen effluvium, which is the medical term for acute hair loss due to a metabolic, hormonal or drug stress. Dr. Michael Eades (the Mister Doctor of the couple who wrote Protein Power) wrote about VLC (very low carb) diets and hair loss on his blog in November 2007. This post refers to a specific diet that isn't IP but the information about the process is still useful. I can't post the link because 3FC censors the name of the diet and the Dr. Eades uses the name in the page address.

If you Google < michael eades blog "telogen effluvium" > his blog post is the first result. He responded to every commenter for 15 months! And he's very encouraging about temporary nature of the hair loss.

note: cross posted from the daily chat thread, because, that post will get buried fairly quickly.

makeitmatter 11-02-2010 11:29 AM

Hair loss and hair cut:

Saw my dermatologist this morning. For hair loss she recommends Rogaine for Men 5% solution used twice a day (yep 2 times).

Biotin supplement 1x daily.

She said Nioxin and Rogaine work differently. Nioxin is for thinning hair whereas Rogaine is for RE-growing hair.

She said hair loss caused by dieting is common and to expect at least 6 months before hair fully grows back.

So... after the appt, I had my hair all chopped off. Yep, went from hair well below the shoulders, to an extremely short, layered hairstyle. I like it, but it's completely different as I've never had short hair before. I was getting tired of the hair in the sink, on the bathroom floor, in the tub drain... those who are loosing hair know what I'm talking about. Yes, my hair is still falling out, but at least it looks fuller now with all of the layers. Plus, I figure in six months it'll be grown out anyways and my new hair will be back. Change is good!

Who ever said beauty hurts???? LOL

shrinkingsusie 11-02-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makeitmatter (Post 3549192)
Hair loss and hair cut:

Saw my dermatologist this morning. For hair loss she recommends Rogaine for Men 5% solution used twice a day (yep 2 times).

Biotin supplement 1x daily.

She said Nioxin and Rogaine work differently. Nioxin is for thinning hair whereas Rogaine is for RE-growing hair.

She said hair loss caused by dieting is common and to expect at least 6 months before hair fully grows back.

So... after the appt, I had my hair all chopped off. Yep, went from hair well below the shoulders, to an extremely short, layered hairstyle. I like it, but it's completely different as I've never had short hair before. I was getting tired of the hair in the sink, on the bathroom floor, in the tub drain... those who are loosing hair know what I'm talking about. Yes, my hair is still falling out, but at least it looks fuller now with all of the layers. Plus, I figure in six months it'll be grown out anyways and my new hair will be back. Change is good!

Who ever said beauty hurts???? LOL

Thanks!!! I can pretend the Rogaine is for Brandon, since he has Alopecia. ;) Then I won't be embarassed buying it! LOL I just don't want to be a bald bride!!! Wedding is 9 months away! I have plenty of time!

Linden 11-02-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie (Post 3549392)
Thanks!!! I can pretend the Rogaine is for Brandon, since he has Alopecia. ;) Then I won't be embarassed buying it! LOL I just don't want to be a bald bride!!! Wedding is 9 months away! I have plenty of time!

I have hesitated to mention this, even if I received the advice from a licensed source. This is what he recommends, strongly, for cancer patients who have lost most or all of their hair. And he has seen remarkably good, and quick, results.

My situation: I have extremely fine hair and lost hair when I developed hypothyroidism. I have been taking this product for 4 weeks -- weeks 14 -18+ -- the time one is most likely to start losing hair. I have NOT lost hair. If anything, it might just be a little fuller. But that could be wishful thinking.

The product is Inositol Capulets, 500 mg, produced by Now Foods. Recommendation: 2 tablets, 1-3 times a day. A b-vitamin complex. I take 2 in the morning.

I hope this helps someone. It is not a recommendation, just a recounting of my personal experience.

Calgarygirlie 11-02-2010 04:14 PM

Hey guys, I started losing my hair in the past month. I spoke with a doctor, and he sd it is a result of stress. The term he used is "shock loss." It tends to kick in about 3mths after a major stressor. It may be that the shock to ones system with this program has the same effect.
I have fine, blonde hair to start with, and a complete inability to style it at the best of times , haha. Rather glad to hear that it could be temporary, and their are a few items out there. Forgive my ignorance, does Rogaine require a prescription?

makeitmatter 11-02-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie (Post 3549723)
Hey guys, I started losing my hair in the past month. I spoke with a doctor, and he sd it is a result of stress. The term he used is "shock loss." It tends to kick in about 3mths after a major stressor. It may be that the shock to ones system with this program has the same effect.
I have fine, blonde hair to start with, and a complete inability to style it at the best of times , haha. Rather glad to hear that it could be temporary, and their are a few items out there. Forgive my ignorance, does Rogaine require a prescription?

Nope, no prescription necessary. If Costco is in Canada, they have the best prices.

Aunt Sheshie 11-09-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linden (Post 3549686)
I have hesitated to mention this, even if I received the advice from a licensed source. This is what he recommends, strongly, for cancer patients who have lost most or all of their hair. And he has seen remarkably good, and quick, results.

My situation: I have extremely fine hair and lost hair when I developed hypothyroidism. I have been taking this product for 4 weeks -- weeks 14 -18+ -- the time one is most likely to start losing hair. I have NOT lost hair. If anything, it might just be a little fuller. But that could be wishful thinking.

The product is Inositol Capulets, 500 mg, produced by Now Foods. Recommendation: 2 tablets, 1-3 times a day. A b-vitamin complex. I take 2 in the morning.

I hope this helps someone. It is not a recommendation, just a recounting of my personal experience.

Thanks for this, Linden... I've written Inositol on my list for the next time I visit my local health food store... my hair thinning seems to have slowed down a bit & now it's starting to grow back & I've got all these short fuzzy hairs sticking up on top of my head... not cute!..

I found this article from Yahoo Green interesting, although there's not a lot of new info...

Quote:

Combat hair loss naturally
By Michelle Schoffro Cook
Posted Mon Nov 8, 2010 4:05pm PST

Looking in the mirror became a difficult experience for Janet. It seemed like every day her forehead receded further and her already thinning hair became thinner. Feeling like everyone might be criticizing her appearance she became embarrassed to go out and worried what might be causing her hair loss. Her husband Thomas had many of the same concerns. Only 42, he had noticeable baldness.

While many people wrongly assume that hair loss is a men's condition, but one in four women experiences some degree of unnatural hair loss in her lifetime. But being in good company may not ease your mind about the causes of hair loss and what you can do to slow it down or stop it altogether. Hair loss of about 50 to 100 strands daily is normal.

There can be many factors linked to accelerated hair loss, including: medications and chemotherapy, genetics, fad diets, chronic stress, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, and poor scalp circulation.

Addressing Lifestyle-Related Hair Loss

Before panicking about your hair loss, talk to your pharmacist about the side effects of any pharmaceutical drugs you may be taking. Many medications are linked with hair loss.

If your hair loss started after a low-calorie or low-fat diet, you may wish to rethink your dieting strategy. Weight loss programs should not result in hair loss; instead, choose a healthier, nutritionally sound approach.

Chronic stress or serious illness can be linked to hair loss. Make a serious effort to reduce stress in your life and incorporate stress-reduction techniques, such as yoga, deep breathing, or meditation, into your daily routine.

Hormonal Imbalances

After genetics, hormonal imbalances are a primary culprit in hair loss. Excessive production of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) within the hair follicle appears to accelerate hair loss. DHT is driven by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase, which is produced in the prostate, adrenal glands or scalp.

Japanese researchers also link excessive sebum production in the scalp to high levels of 5-alpha reductase. Their research indicated that animal fat intake may increase sebum production. Reducing consumption of hydrogenated and saturated fats, along with refined sugar and flour, and processed foods may be helpful to reduce hair loss.

A study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine reported that saw palmetto (serenoa repens) may increase hair growth in men. Hair growth improved in men taking 400 mg of a standardized extract of saw palmetto and 100 mg of beta-sitosterol (from saw palmetto) daily. Historically, saw palmetto has been used by herbalists for hair loss in both men and women.

An underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can cause thinning hair. Adding sea vegetables like kelp, nori, dulse, kombu, and wakame, all of which are rich in iodine may be helpful to balance this condition. Avoid drinking tap water since it typically contains fluorine and chlorine, two chemicals that inhibit iodine absorption. You may also want to supplement with 100 mg or 1 mL of the herb bladderwrack (focus vesiculosus) daily. Medium-chain triglycerides found in coconut oil and coconut milk can help reset the thyroid gland as well.

Many menopausal women often experience thicker hair with the use of natural progesterone to help balance hormones.

Nutritional Deficiencies

Be sure to eat varied, well-rounded, and regular meals that include plenty of vegetables, beans, nuts, fish, and lean poultry. Essential fatty acids from walnuts, flaxseeds, fish, and avocado are also important for healthy hair.

Biotin encourages hair and scalp health. Dietary sources of biotin include: nuts, brown rice, and oats. Iron is also essential for hair growth and can be found in red meat but is also available in blackstrap molasses, green leafy vegetables, leeks, cashews, dried fruits, figs, and berries. To help your body absorb iron, particularly vegetarian sources, you'll need vitamin C, which you can obtain from citrus fruits, strawberries, and red peppers.

Take a broad spectrum enzyme supplement with meals to assist digestion and absorption of nutrients.

A B-complex vitamin (50 mg, twice daily) can help reduce the effects of stress and contribute to healthy hair. Additional sublingual B12 may be needed to prevent hair loss. Take 200 to 400 mcg daily.

The minerals silica and zinc are also critical for hair growth. Take 500 mg of silica two times daily and 30 mg of zinc once daily.

Scalp Circulation

Rosemary essential oil has been traditionally used to increase circulation to the scalp. Add a few drops per dollop of shampoo or conditioner. Gently massage your scalp to improve circulation to the hair follicles.

Always consult your physician if you experience hair loss or any other symptom, to rule out serious conditions. And, be sure to check with your doctor before taking herbal or nutrient supplements.

Michelle Schoffro Cook, BSc, RNCP, ROHP, DNM, is an international best-selling and seven-time book author and doctor of natural medicine, whose works include: The Life Force Diet, The Ultimate pH Solution, The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan, The Phytozyme Cure, and HealthSmart News.
hugs :hug:

natchamp 11-09-2010 12:29 PM

I lost a lot of hair during a large and suddenly weight loss (because of illness)a couple of years ago. I had to cut my hair short because it was looking stringy. It grew back. But now I IP I've had only a little bit of hair loss. It seems to get worse for most people around the 50lbs weight loss marker. My also has a texture difference. I've been on IP since June. From my roots down to about four inches my hair is smooth and almost straight. Everything below that is rougher and has more wave. So I have a demarkation all the way around my head. Grr. There isn't a flat iron in the world to make it blend and I'm not about to cut all my hair to only fours inches. I still keep it short. Just barely below my ears and shorter/stacked in the back. In a couple of months it will all be grown out. Takes time, but honestly no one else notices unless I show it to them. :)

navy mom 72 01-25-2011 10:28 PM

I am so suprised that more people aren't talking about this topic. I hope this hair loss thing stops soon! I read it lasted a month and a half.

YIKES! I think I'm going to buy the Inositol Caplets and Rogaine, asap. I dread brushing my hair. I am shocked at how much is coming out!!!!!!!!! I never heard about this side-effect when I signed up for IP. It seems not many people talk about it. I wonder if everyone experiences the same thing??

Shytowngal 01-25-2011 10:54 PM

Do you have an extemely low fat diet? I was losing hair (not a ton), but it seemed to be thinning. So I added in more healthy fats like avacado, nuts, olive oil and the problem has stopped.

showgirlaz 01-26-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy mom 72 (Post 3675796)
I am so suprised that more people aren't talking about this topic. I hope this hair loss thing stops soon! I read it lasted a month and a half.

YIKES! I think I'm going to buy the Inositol Caplets and Rogaine, asap. I dread brushing my hair. I am shocked at how much is coming out!!!!!!!!! I never heard about this side-effect when I signed up for IP. It seems not many people talk about it. I wonder if everyone experiences the same thing??

Hey Navy Mom 72,

I saw your other post to me, if you don't mind, I will just answer here for tonight. (thanks!)

The diet does have hair loss as a side effect. There are many possible reasons but, it seems to have a lot to do with the diet causing rapid weight loss that puts our hair into a rapid state of rest and with the excess release of estrogen.

To some extent it may have to do with nutrition but, it is hard to say.

Here is what is known.

It does grow back. It usually grows back better and healthy but, can take a full year after stopping the diet for your hair to complete all the cycles enough that most people see more than just a stop of the loss. (I can see a big difference in mine and it has been 6 months. I lost enough that you could see my scalp at my crown.)

It is most common in women over 40 and, if I remember correctly, effects 11% of women dieters.

It is said, that these are women who would have experience hair loss in menopause (??? ... I can't prove that it was shared on an IP conference call.) AND it was also said, those who go through this now are not likely to have this thinning or hair loss later. (remember this diet has over 27 years of background on dieters using the plan.)

There is a protocol using the omegas and anti oxy supplements from IDEAL PROTEIN that came out recently and is supposed to help with this to some extent. ( I will try and get that and put it here.)

Many have used NIOXIN shampoo (it helps some), vitamin supplements (I liked Michael's Hair, Skin, Nails), added vitamin c, or added inositol.

If it is happening, it will run it's course and you are better off losing a lot at once because it is more likely to be related to telogen effluvium (the resting phase hair loss). It will correct itself.

I know how you feel. I told my coach "I'm not trying to be the skinny, bald girl." Guess what, it felt like I would be but, it didn't happen. I did have to use sunscreen on my scalp last summer. This year, things are much better.

JOLINA 01-26-2011 12:24 AM

My hair loss was really bad. Then I went to the health food store and bought a bag of raw pumpkin seeds.
They have no shells, so they were easy to eat...like sunflower seeds.
I had to eat 2 tablespoons every day.
My hair grew in really thick, but it was about 6 months before it was noticeable.

The seeds are high in zinc, but it could be other nutrients that help also.
And if you search for 'pumpkin seeds remedies' in the internet, you will find loads of health benefits besides hair loss.

They gave me a lot of energy and my back stopped itching too. And my dry skin went away.

:goodvibes

JudoGirl 02-24-2011 07:43 AM

Ok..I am going to the store for Rogaine and Biotin....my hair is really thinning..and when I brush it its in the sink and floor...:?:
My husband talked me into stopping the program the last few weeks..
He said just give my body a rest...
I should've known better and looked up hair loss with my fellow bloggers...

I weighed in yesterday and doing well...up 3 lbs..but 1/2 of that is already off..and will be gone with a loss by next week...

Thank you everyone...I feel better now...hugs
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Coastalcrafter 02-24-2011 08:06 AM

As a liscensed professional, hair loss can occur from tramatic stress/ change in diet/ hormonal imbalance/and just about anything else a woman goes thru in her lifetime...yes B complex is fabulous along with your daily vitamins. Calcium is awesome for your nails and bones.2 Omega oil capsules daily are great for your eyes ( Dr Talamo/ eye surgeon in Boston told me this) and we all know the benefits on Vit C and all the other great vitamins and nutrients are bodies need to function . IF YOU GET TOO MUCH VITAMIN A DAILY -this cause hair loss. I have seen it first hand.. So NO ONE needs extra vit A in their diet..
When my young nephew was found murdered that put my body into shock, it held onto every pound and put back a few, cortisol levels went up...and I went off IP.. couldn't deal with it.. now I'm starting again....

this group is the BEST group of friends and support I have ever known!!!

cassieleeanne 09-24-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Are you still taking this? Did it continue to grow?

kdspirited 09-24-2013 05:09 PM

Hi I had so much hair loss that I the front of my scalp is almost starting to show. I had to stop for 6 months and in that time I took tons of biotin. My hair stopped falling out. I have been on IP again for two weeks and so far so good. I will see how it fairs out in the next month or so. Also I was told by my doctor to use ROgain. But I heard it has some serious side affects

DJ72 10-03-2013 12:29 AM

I am returning to IP after being off for 6 months. I experienced hair loss after 2 1/2 months. My hair thinned ALOT! Luckily I have thick hair but I tell you, I was SICK about it. Since being off my hair is growing back. I am DREADING hair loss again... I took Biotin, extra B vitamins, omegas... Still lost hair. I really think people should be made aware of the side effect of the diet do they are not as sick about it as I was. I bawled my eyes out over it. But I am back.
Rogain? I dunno... Will have to look into that a little more before I jump on ship with that stuff!

cassieleeanne 10-03-2013 10:59 AM

Well I am starting to get really scared here, I have lost so much hair. I have short hair as it is a bob cut, and it has always been think. The last month or so it just keeps coming out. I am taking the Biotin, Insoloin, Omega 3,6,9 and it seems to have slowed down a bit but its still coming out. I can see my scalp and I am not sure what to do. I am only 30 I don't want to lose all my hair. I started phase 2 yesterday so hopefully phasing off the diet helps if not anyone have any recommendations on what I can do????????????

shrinkingsusie 10-03-2013 11:09 AM

Wow. I started this thread my first time on IP! lol Many moons ago!

DJ72 10-03-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie (Post 4854202)
Wow. I started this thread my first time on IP! lol Many moons ago!

Well I honestly think that having my hair falling out was THE WORST part of the diet! Some people said they would rather be bald than fat. Not me!!! Sorry but not me. I am reassured, however, that it didn't get any worse after I quit the diet. I just wish there was something you could do to prevent this. I have looked into Rogaine and I am not using it. As a nurse I tend to really look at stuff like that and I am not a fan! Hair falling out is actually a side effect of it. Lol. Not saying it doesn't work, but just not the action I wanna take. I didn't lose weight SUPER fast the first go round... 7 lbs the first week and 4 the next but then only 1-2 a week after that. I have lost weight quicker than that in the past and never lost hair like that. Lol. But... That being said I did lose a lot before I left my 1st husband. And after childbirth but my hair got really thick during pregnancy.
Whadda ya do?

shrinkingsusie 10-03-2013 01:31 PM

I have noticed that it is starting to come out again, but not as fast as it was before. I literally clogged the drain in the shower every week when I did IP before. Now I make sure to brush my hair before showering so it all just gets caught in the brush. I hope it doesn't get as bad as it did last time, because it was a LOT! That was also around the time I stopped IP as well. Had me worried. But at least now I know that it is just temporary!

SummerJane 10-03-2013 02:09 PM

I asked my coach about this and she advised me to have a soft-boiled or poached egg a day (make sure the yolk is runny). This is in addition to the regular amount of protein. She also recommended an herbal supplement for hair, skin and nails. I think it has made an improvement. I've only been doing it a week or so and I have not noticed a stall in weight loss, but my hair seems to be staying put!

DJ72 10-03-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerJane (Post 4854341)
I asked my coach about this and she advised me to have a soft-boiled or poached egg a day (make sure the yolk is runny). This is in addition to the regular amount of protein. She also recommended an herbal supplement for hair, skin and nails. I think it has made an improvement. I've only been doing it a week or so and I have not noticed a stall in weight loss, but my hair seems to be staying put!

I can do the egg thing although I HATE runny yolks. But better than chemicals!
My hair didn't start falling out until about 8 weeks on IP... Just sayin'

Tuscany123 10-03-2013 03:23 PM

This is scary! I'm 5 1/2 wks in, and not seeing this yet, but I don't have any hair to spare!! I did IP 2 yrs ago for 2 months, and began seeing some hair loss right before I quit IP to go on vacation. This time I am taking biotin every day. No hair loss yet, but it is unbelievably shiny and full looking, and my fingernails have never been so long! I have weak nails and can never grow them, but they are crazy long and strong right now.

Still, I look down in the shower every day in fear that my hair will start falling out, yikes ......:yikes:

DJ72 10-03-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerJane (Post 4854341)

I can do the egg thing although I HATE runny yolks. But better than chemicals!
My hair didn't start falling out until about 8 weeks on IP... Just sayin'

cassieleeanne 10-03-2013 04:49 PM

I have been reading up on remedies and looks like you can buy a powder to blend in with your hair so it is not so noticeable. I don't know if I am desperate enough to go there yet, but soon I will be.

Lolo70 10-03-2013 05:02 PM

I suspect the hair loss is due to downregulation of sex and thyroid hormone action. This occurs on many very low carb diets because carbs are necessary for the generation of active thyroid hormone and the production of sex hormones. An egg won't help there.

DJ72 10-03-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolo70 (Post 4854470)
I suspect the hair loss is due to downregulation of sex and thyroid hormone action. This occurs on many very low carb diets because carbs are necessary for the generation of active thyroid hormone and the production of sex hormones. An egg won't help there.

That is true but I have now also read that supplementing with a little extra protein is beneficial. New hair will come in nicer because it is high in keratin and protein.
I was sure I was hypothyroid lady time I was on but my bloodworm showed otherwise. This diet messed with my TOM as well... I completely missed one month... That never happens with me
They say that fat releases estrogen so when we lose fat we free up with lots of extra... I believe that.
I dunno... I just don't like it. I tried all the vitamins, herbs, supplements and have decided that if it happens again then I have to deal with it...
Sigh

DJ72 10-03-2013 05:44 PM

BTW LOLO70.... Fantastic weight loss!
Wow!
Crazy good!

cassieleeanne 10-04-2013 01:08 PM

So I went to Sally's beauty supply store yesterday and bought some Ion shampoo, conditioner, and hair treatment for thinning and fine hair, must say my hair feels much better after washing it today. I also bought some hairspray for thinning hair and some other treatments.

I went ahead and bought some Toppik to see how that works as well, it is the color you sprinkle on your hair to make it look fuller and not so thin, hoping to try it out tomorrow....

PrettyMom09 10-04-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassieleeanne (Post 4855001)
So I went to Sally's beauty supply store yesterday and bought some Ion shampoo, conditioner, and hair treatment for thinning and fine hair, must say my hair feels much better after washing it today. I also bought some hairspray for thinning hair and some other treatments.

I went ahead and bought some Toppik to see how that works as well, it is the color you sprinkle on your hair to make it look fuller and not so thin, hoping to try it out tomorrow....

Please let us know what if the products work, I'm in desperate need of something to hide my balding head.:^:

Katluvsblues 10-04-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Is this true about weeks 14 - 18? Why? :?:

cassieleeanne 10-04-2013 04:11 PM

I will keep you informed really hoping the Topik will help hide the scalp!

Frenchy71 10-05-2013 05:37 PM

I experienced a hair loss after the first 5 weeks on IP and while it lasted for a while, I am starting now week 13 on Monday and my hair loss is not as dramatic anymore...plus my hair is growing back healthier and stronger. I guess I noticed that when one has longer hair, the hair loss is more noticeable because of the long strands on the hairbrush...

Plus when the body is going through an emotional or physical shock, it is common to see hair loss. The American Hair Loss Council points out that people generally lose about 100 to 125 hairs each day. However, hair loss occurs when hair regrowth does not occur at this same rate. The Mayo Clinic says poor nutrition can be a cause of hair loss, with fad diets often being responsible for iron and protein deficiencies. Hair loss due to dieting can affect both women and men, but healthy eating can prevent the problem.

Include plenty of protein and iron-rich foods in your diet. Diets very low in fats and proteins can cause nutritional deficiencies, which can affect hair growth. Foods that are high in protein are generally excellent sources of iron, zinc and vitamin B6, all nutrients needed for healthy hair. Natural food sources that are high in protein include beef, poultry, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, soy and tofu. Red meat, spinach, egg yolks, kidney beans, shellfish, pork roast, figs, dates and cashews are some foods, which are high in iron.
Also include vitamin E, Omega 3 and salt.

There is also a good article on the following link

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4681047...g-dieting.html

Good luck and have a wonderful IP weekend !!

dak1lls 10-05-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchy71 (Post 4855760)
I experienced a hair loss after the first 5 weeks on IP and while it lasted for a while, I am starting now week 13 on Monday and my hair loss is not as dramatic anymore...plus my hair is growing back healthier and stronger. I guess I noticed that when one has longer hair, the hair loss is more noticeable because of the long strands on the hairbrush...

Plus when the body is going through an emotional or physical shock, it is common to see hair loss. The American Hair Loss Council points out that people generally lose about 100 to 125 hairs each day. However, hair loss occurs when hair regrowth does not occur at this same rate. The Mayo Clinic says poor nutrition can be a cause of hair loss, with fad diets often being responsible for iron and protein deficiencies. Hair loss due to dieting can affect both women and men, but healthy eating can prevent the problem.

Include plenty of protein and iron-rich foods in your diet. Diets very low in fats and proteins can cause nutritional deficiencies, which can affect hair growth. Foods that are high in protein are generally excellent sources of iron, zinc and vitamin B6, all nutrients needed for healthy hair. Natural food sources that are high in protein include beef, poultry, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, soy and tofu. Red meat, spinach, egg yolks, kidney beans, shellfish, pork roast, figs, dates and cashews are some foods, which are high in iron.
Also include vitamin E, Omega 3 and salt.

There is also a good article on the following link

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4681047...g-dieting.html

Good luck and have a wonderful IP weekend !!

It's ironic that all the things high in iron are what I am eating most of these days, and yet my hair started falling out quite noticeably at about the 3 1/2 to 4 month point. Luckily I have very thick hair, so it is mostly noticeable to me. I started P2 Wednesday and will be in maintenance in a little over 3 weeks, so that should put an end to hair loss. I hope. :?:

DJ72 10-06-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak1lls (Post 4855857)
It's ironic that all the things high in iron are what I am eating most of these days, and yet my hair started falling out quite noticeably at about the 3 1/2 to 4 month point. Luckily I have very thick hair, so it is mostly noticeable to me. I started P2 Wednesday and will be in maintenance in a little over 3 weeks, so that should put an end to hair loss. I hope. :?:

Mine did!
But now I have to restart because I fell off the wagon this summer!

kdspirited 10-06-2013 09:16 PM

My hair stopped falling out as well once I went off the diet. I just started back up and taking Silica and Biotin. So far so good.

cassieleeanne 10-07-2013 11:24 AM

Well I think I will be only doing phase three for one week instead of two because of this problem. My boyfriend keeps telling me as I am on verge of tears that is will grow back, but sorry I am not wanting to go bald. I already had thin, fine hair and seeing it fall out is miserable. It doesn't seem to be slowing down either so I think my only choice is to phase off and start the next step so my hair can grow back.

DJ72 10-07-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassieleeanne (Post 4856838)
Well I think I will be only doing phase three for one week instead of two because of this problem. My boyfriend keeps telling me as I am on verge of tears that is will grow back, but sorry I am not wanting to go bald. I already had thin, fine hair and seeing it fall out is miserable. It doesn't seem to be slowing down either so I think my only choice is to phase off and start the next step so my hair can grow back.

Oh I am so sorry! I know how terrible it feels. I was sick about it too. But honestly mine did come back. I can't believe it but it is there! Chin up pretty lady!
How long have you been on IP?