Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #1  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

Default Embarrasing side effects of eating a lot of veggies during yoga!

I know it's been a while since I've posted, life's been a little busy, but I know I can always come here for support weather it's just checking out other's posts or engaging myself.

Even though I'm on maintenance I still eat like I'm on P1 with regards to the vegetables that I eat. I also eat Quest Bars and the occasional Atkins bar. I started this program back in 2012, so it's not like I've just started to eat this way, my body should be used to it by now!

I eat a lot of vegetables and I don't limit myself to the 2 cups. I have the unpleasant side-effects of gas. This also happens with some of the sweeteners too.

It's one thing in my car, home & in my office, but it's quite embarrassing during yoga class!

I've taken Beano, a generic gas relief pill (that I found in our cabinet and it's expired by a year or so).

Just wondering if anyone has had this same issue (I'm sure all of us have on this diet) and how you've combat it?

My DH suggested that I go on to a site for vegetarians and see what they do about it, but figured I'd check with the IPeeps of the world first.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Digestive enzymes?

I don't have any issues with that but perhaps those will help.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

It might be the sugar alcohols in the bars and not the veggies. SA's are notorious for causing gas & in some people, diarrhoea. Onions & garlic are often culprits since the sulphur compounds can kill bad bacteria in the gut and cause nasty smelling gas.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #4  

Canadjineh...eating garlic and onions can kill bad bacteria and cause bad smelling gas? That is great news because I love both! This is a good thing?
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/190/125

Height: 5'1"

I started Medifast a month ago and I have that problem after I eat my lean & Green meal or some of the MF meals. I do take the MF dietary enzymes and sometimes additional GasX pills. It doesn't give me a lot of relief. At my last appointment, I was told to take the enzyme before my L&G meal and avoid the MF meals that irritate me. I also stayed away from greens that give gas: i.e., broccoli. This has helped a bit. I still get bloated and gassy but not as much. the loud tummy rumbling does not help! Last night I tried something in addition to the pills. I went for a quick walk after my L&G. Once I let it all out, I felt much better.
ladyvwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #6  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
It might be the sugar alcohols in the bars and not the veggies. SA's are notorious for causing gas & in some people, diarrhoea. Onions & garlic are often culprits since the sulphur compounds can kill bad bacteria in the gut and cause nasty smelling gas.
Liana
Yes and Yes! Whew, I love garlic but it does not love me
Sugar alcohols =

Also, try Beano again with a new bottle. Since it is an enzyme, its expiration date might mean that it's inactive (unlike say, ibuprofen, which still works when long expired).

For the science-minded among you, here is a study of Beano!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Canadjineh...eating garlic and onions can kill bad bacteria and cause bad smelling gas? That is great news because I love both! This is a good thing?
"•Use natural antibiotics to kill intestinal yeasts, bacteria and parasites. Natural antibiotic foods, herbs and condiments are cabbage juice, cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli), raw garlic, onions, leeks, radishes, fenugreek, ginger, hot chili, lemon juice, turmeric, mustard and rosemary."
Quote from a liver health site. So because the cruciferous veggies and alliums kill the bad bacteria - it is the bad bacteria in the gut that are the problem and not the veggies themselves. Theoretically, if you keep it up and add in PRObiotics for healthy good bacteria it will help to reduce the problem over time.
And yeah, killing bad bacteria IS a good thing even if you are a bit 'stinky' once in a while. LOL

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #8  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

Thanks for all of this! The Beano is good for another year. I think it might take some experimentation too. I bought activated charcoal yesterday, so I'm trying that.

I'm going to try digestive enzymes and probiotics too. I was eating yogurt for breakfast everyday, but I'm back to my shakes.

I'll let you know!
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #9  

Lynnie I was having a lot of bowel stuff - not necessarily gas but some, but also just a lot of trouble with Constipation, bloating, etc.

A couple things that worked and didn't work:
1. Everyone was all about digestive enzymes, I took them religiously 10 min. before eating, didn't notice much of a change. I tried several different kinds including IP.
2. Most probiotics including IP didn't work, but a combination of FloraMax and really high quality (90,000 unit) probiotics actually did make a HUGE difference. Yogurt didn't seem to matter, though I did crave it for several months, so I ate it.
3. Magnesium made a massive difference, and still does. When I'm blocked up the gas for sure is there. My doctor actually told me in addition to taking nightly magnesium (I take quite a bit) to also every few days take the drinkable Magnesium Citrate - that is the most potent - just to make sure things don't get too backed up, because once you're really noticing it that's when things have already kind of putrified in there and the gas will be worse.
4. After about 3 months being off P1 (in P4) my enzymes seemed to be "repopulated" properly and I don't have nearly so much reaction any more.
5. Omega oils also seem to help.
6. Just so it's clear for our math-staticians out there - I was drinking all my water, and drinking one or two cups of black coffee per day. The coffee helps me stay regular, and I definitely notice things get worse if I don't drink enough water of course. Also exercise, yoga in particular, really helps with my digestion and bowels - if I miss that for more than a week or so things get much worse.
Good luck!

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 08-13-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote