Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #46  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
This is my first week on IP - I am just tired of being fat. I started at 213.2 and 5.5 days after starting the diet (had to start on 10.10.10 :-) ), I'm down 4.8 lbs and 6 inches!

Anybody know how getting sick affects your losses? I've been down with a cold for 3 days and feel like crap (from being sick). I was hoping to be down more weight this week because so many people talk about having amazing first week losses, but I'll take what I have! Am very pleased with myself for saying no to the Reese's peanut butter cups my DH insisted he wanted last night...
Almost 5 pounds is a great result and I always think the inches feel best!

I have seen varied results mentioned here when people are sick but just watch if you are taking a cold medicine that it is one of the sugar free ones--same with cough drops because the sugar in some could through you out of ketosis.

Keep your fluid up which will help get rid of the sick stuff anyway and try hard not to miss any of your food. Feel better soon!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #47  
Carol Mc

S/C/G: 115/109/107

Height: 5' 1"

Default Zevia

Newbie, here. Was wondering if any of you doing IP have drank Zevia (natural soda) and, if so, did it have any negative results? The can says zero net carbs (carbs come from erythritol). I life would be really better if I could have my Zevia.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #48  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Stitcher View Post
Hi Dave--
What an accomplishment! It sounds like you are starting to see yourself a bit differently.....not the good old fat guy, but a competent, confident guy. (Hope I didn't put the wrong words in your mouth.) I want you to know how much I have appreciated reading your posts. Your humor, wisdom, and experience help all of us.

Deb
Hey! I was never old. Just fat! And I've never struggled with confidence or competence. But my weight is definitely one area of my life that I've wanted to change, and now I have. So I have to admit that it is a confidence booster anyway. I guess hairloss will be the last bastion of hope for keeping my ego in check...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
Dave- It's not Just your DIET/eating habits that has changed.. it's your attitude about yourself ( self respect enough not to put crap in our bodies) and your whole lifestyle change! YES you should be a poster guy for IP!

( Introducing Speedo Dave as our NEW poster Model for Ideal Protein!!!)

Wishing You Continued Success!!!
Attitude determines altitude. And now that I can fit comfortably (or at least reasonably) into airplane seats, I might be experiencing more altitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
I've eaten at Cracker Barrel a couple of times while on IP. I usually get the steak with collard greens and green beans with a side salad and I bring my own dressing. I know the veggies aren't prepared ideal, but the main thing they would add is fat and I have had good weight loss the weeks I have eaten there.
Hmm...fat is generally bad, with more than double the calories per gram as carbs or protein. While fat won't kick you out of ketosis, it will generally slow weight loss, as your body has to burn the consumed fats before it can burn the stored fats. And it takes longer to burn fat than it does carbs or protein.

Personally, I would skip the collards and the green beans, and go with the side salad and ask them for some extra veggies. If you haven't had any restricted veggies this week, now would be a good time to have your tomatoes, for example. If you've ever dined at Cafe Rio/Qdoba/Costa Vida/Bajio/Chipotle, since they're all about the same, you probably understand that they'll gladly modify your salad and replace the dressing with extra pico de gallo. Nothing at all wrong with 2 cups of tomatoes, raw onions, jalapenos and cilantro, and a much better choice than greens prepared in butter or bacon. You can probably ask for a dill spear or two as well. Just my two cents.

I would think if you asked for extra raw veggies on your salad (cucumber, tomato, onions, celery, etc.) they'd probably be able to accomodate you.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedmonstar View Post
I just wanted to say hi, I started IP (on my own due to cost restraints) on Tuesday and I'm already down 4 pounds -it's amazing. I am using Dr. Tran's site and I've poured over this board taking notes for a week before I started the diet and joined the board and got a wealth of information and I thank you all for that.
greeneyedmonstar... you're doing great!.. without an available clinic/coach, I've been following the good doctor's protocol on my own for about four & a half months & it's worked wonderfully... not discounting the value of having a coach & using IP products, the evidence of that is all over this forum... but, it can be done either way, especially with the info & support found on the best forum in cyberspace!..

~~~~~~~
I've been absent for a few days, due to the death of my computer's motherboard!.. back online now with a new netbook... different, but kinda fun to use... with the stress of being computerless, I went fully bootcamp, the way ShrinkingSusie described it a couple of weeks ago -- 5 protein shakes per day (2 of them substituting for the lean meat for supper).. so far, so good... not sure I can keep this up for more than a week, but it's kinda nice to not have to cook... I could get spoiled...

hugs
Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcconnell95 View Post
Newbie, here. Was wondering if any of you doing IP have drank Zevia (natural soda) and, if so, did it have any negative results? The can says zero net carbs (carbs come from erythritol). I life would be really better if I could have my Zevia.
I've read some places online that sugar alcohols, such as erythritol, can affect blood sugar the same way regular sugar would, but I'm not really sure if that is true. I was told no soda of any kind by my coach. Her reason was because of the carbonation, not because of aspartame or any other sweetener. I believe it has to do with the acidity? Or something?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #51  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judon View Post
Good morning everyone,

Yesterday was one of the whirl wind, hang onto your hats, kind of day. Off to work in a rush and left my IDP drink on the counter - drank lot's of water til lunch. Lunch was good stuffed mushroom, zucchini pesto and salad - orange drink. Then my husband couldn't come to pick me up until 9 pm. No dinner - more water and when we got home at 10 I had a vanilla RDT and off to bed.

My question - will a day like this throw off my state of ketosis? How should I proceed today? Has this ever happened to you.

I'm a slow looser but my weight loss has been steady and I'm determined to keep it that way so I follow the plan to a T!

Thanks for any tips...Judy

I think you're doing quite well for the time you've been on the program. I also think water is the key variable and if you got LOTS you may be OK. I'd be interested in hearing the effect, as I'm sure some other people will be.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #52  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
I had my WI this morning (a couple days later than usual), and was pleased to see that I'm still losing at a good rate.

The closer I get to my goal, the more I think about phasing out and enjoying my new lifestyle. I'm only 36 lbs. from my goal, which I think is great considering I had 160 lbs. to lose. Before I started IP, losing 160 lbs. seemed like an impossible feat, something that was going to take years to achieve. What's funny is that I was introduced to IP completely on a whim while at the doctor's office. Now, 6 months later, I'm almost there and I can practically predict when I will move to Phase 2 and eventually achieve my goal and be in maintenance.

It's been a dramatic change. It's not just fitting into sizes and shopping in places that were completely out of the realm of possibility. It's not just feeling better, aching less, having more energy, and getting more out of life. It's not just the comments, compliments and genuine shock of people who haven't seen me for a while and notice how dramatic the change has been. It's not just walking down the street and not recognizing my shadow, or seeing myself in a photograph and doing a double take. It's really the sum of all of these things, but the accomplishment seems greater than the sum of all of these parts.

Of course, it's not all roses. I mean, I've never had to pee so much in all my life, and I don't know anyone else who uses four different pan sizes and three different cooking methods just to keep an omelet from becoming mundane. And there have been sacrifices that have evolved into a new way of life. The "regular fare" from a previous way of life has transformed from a vision of "occasional fare" on maintenance to "undesireable fare" in my new life. But at the end of the day, it's been and continues to be an amazing and wonderful journey to a glorious destination.
No skeptics here. MG! what a job you've done.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #53  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 224/220/150

Height: 5 foot 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
greeneyedmonstar... you're doing great!.. without an available clinic/coach, I've been following the good doctor's protocol on my own for about four & a half months & it's worked wonderfully... not discounting the value of having a coach & using IP products, the evidence of that is all over this forum... but, it can be done either way, especially with the info & support found on the best forum in cyberspace!..

~~~~~~~
I've been absent for a few days, due to the death of my computer's motherboard!.. back online now with a new netbook... different, but kinda fun to use... with the stress of being computerless, I went fully bootcamp, the way ShrinkingSusie described it a couple of weeks ago -- 5 protein shakes per day (2 of them substituting for the lean meat for supper).. so far, so good... not sure I can keep this up for more than a week, but it's kinda nice to not have to cook... I could get spoiled...

hugs
If i get more hours at work, I would definitely go to a diet coach because I think it's a valuable thing to have but for now I am doing what I can and I'm finding this diet really easy to follow so far, mostly because of everyone's ideas here. If I didn't find this board, I probably would not have had the information I needed so thank you all!!! :-)
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #54  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by courteneykay View Post
hey everyone,

I have no idea if I am posting where I should or if I am even doing it right. I am on week 3 of IP. So far so good, considering I was sick last week and didn't see the results I was hoping to see. But I have a question, I just realized about 5 minutes ago that I had only been taking 2 cal-mag's per day at dinner. For some reason I always looked right past the after dinner snack section on all the paperwork. So, do you think that missing the 2 extral cal-mags for the past 3 weeks has affected my weight loss?
I seriously doubt it. 4 calmag = 2 times the amount of calcium you need in one day and over 3 times the amount of magnesium. (1200 and 350 respectively = daily requirement.)
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #55  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post
I recently found Snack Time Sugar Free 0 - 0 - 0 jello which made me happy! Just bummed that Jello brand uses only aspartame!
I posted this in the recipe thread but I'm so enthusiastic about it thought I might mention it here. 1/2 C rhubarb made with Raspberry Jelly or something similar is out of this world good.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #56  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
"Net" carbs means that there are carbs and something has been subtracted from them.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #57  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
Good morning! Just checkin in...
yesterday before work I went for a flu shot about 11am.. walked around the pharmacy 5 mins looking at the cards..then it hit .. a wave of "am I gonna faint feeling" and nausea.. I felt embarrassed but told the pharmacist.. he sat with me 5 more mins and I left.. ( My daughter drove me home) I didn't feel right all day.. just arm ached and felt extremely tired.. but 7pm the feeling passed.. FINALLY! ..... I have never had this reaction before..weird.

Well today I am zooming, already baked my chicken and steamed my veggies for lunch ( dinner for lunch today with my son and his fiancee visiting)

have a good friday everyone.. stay strong..

Hi Carla- I signed up for 1 year at $75. so the increase at my clinic will not effect me.. good!!

What increase?...I've had company visiting for a couple of days...did I miss something?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #58  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Hmm...fat is generally bad, with more than double the calories per gram as carbs or protein. While fat won't kick you out of ketosis, it will generally slow weight loss, as your body has to burn the consumed fats before it can burn the stored fats. And it takes longer to burn fat than it does carbs or protein.

Personally, I would skip the collards and the green beans, and go with the side salad and ask them for some extra veggies. If you haven't had any restricted veggies this week, now would be a good time to have your tomatoes, for example. If you've ever dined at Cafe Rio/Qdoba/Costa Vida/Bajio/Chipotle, since they're all about the same, you probably understand that they'll gladly modify your salad and replace the dressing with extra pico de gallo. Nothing at all wrong with 2 cups of tomatoes, raw onions, jalapenos and cilantro, and a much better choice than greens prepared in butter or bacon. You can probably ask for a dill spear or two as well. Just my two cents.

I would think if you asked for extra raw veggies on your salad (cucumber, tomato, onions, celery, etc.) they'd probably be able to accomodate you.
You are probably right, Dave. It's not the place to start dining out. I have found by monitoring my numbers, that I have a little better with slightly more than the two teaspoons of fat, but that may not be true for everyone. I also found that when I when I tried dropping the restricted packets, I stagnate. Some of this may have to do with me dancing several nights a week.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 256/236/185

Height: 5 foot 9.25 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
Good morning all. I was just getting ready to order some stuff and am looking for your opinions. Has anyone tried any of the following WF products? I have only tried the ranch and thousand island dressing and I'm not too happy.
-Bacon Ranch or Creamy Ranch dressing
- BBQ sauce (hickory smoked)
-Veggie ranch dip
-Raspberry vinegrette
- mayo
-any of the fruit spreads or syrups

Thanks for your input.
Seems everyone has different tastes. I like the ranch dressing and the chipolte ranch, the honey mustard. The Asian is so so for me.
I like the marshmallow, Caramel dip, caramel sauce, the apple butter is a great treat and I've eaten and found to be okay the raspberry, and the strawberry spread. Mayo was Okay. I thought the peanut butter was icky, but okay in pudding - kind of. one of the bacon ranch dressings was icky too. My experience is if you don't expect it to taste exactly like what it represents - it is better
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I posted this in the recipe thread but I'm so enthusiastic about it thought I might mention it here. 1/2 C rhubarb made with Raspberry Jelly or something similar is out of this world good.
I can only get rhubarb when it's in season locally, possibly canned and sweetened. How do you get rhubarb at this time of year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
Welcome back! I have to agree about the thought of not cooking. There's also the shopping and prepping and putting away.
Quote:
Hey! I was never old. Just fat! And I've never struggled with confidence or competence. But my weight is definitely one area of my life that I've wanted to change, and now I have. So I have to admit that it is a confidence booster anyway. I guess hair loss will be the last bastion of hope for keeping my ego in check...
And thank goodness for that, otherwise you'd be unbearable.
Quote:
The purist's answer to your question would be that Zevia isn't a 0 cal 0 carb 0 fat product. Your weight stats in your profile show that you're 2 pounds from your goal. If that's correct, you don't have long to wait until you can add it back to your list regular items.

Pragmatist's answer: If you really can't wait another 2-4 weeks, then try one can in a 7-day period and see what the effect is on your weight loss. Sugar alcohols, such as maltitol and erythritol, affect different people in different ways.
Closed Thread