Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #31  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I have a question about measuring vegetables....Since I have been on IP, I have always used fresh vegetables, but as winter comes along, I know that the fresh vegetables will be less available, quality will be poorer and they will be more expensive. So, if I switch to some canned veggies---thinking for now asparagus and mushrooms how do I do the measurements? I know a cup of canned mushrooms is much more than a cup of raw mushrooms cooked.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #32  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWayForGood View Post
I hit my 50 lb mark on 9/25, then started eating pepperoni on my salads every day (couldn't figure out why I shouldn't have it until after my next WI!). So, the pepperoni sabotaged me physically, while I sabotaged myself mentally. . . .

Instead of pepperoni would you consider one, low fat (and hopefully,low sodium) one slice of Canadian bacon, sliced into small pieces? You get about 3-4 times as much meat as pepperoni and only 20 calories and about .4 gr fat.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #33  
Jess

S/C/G: 282.4/228.1/165

Default The start of temptation

So this weekend is the start of my biggest temptation yet, but I'm feeling positive that I can stay on program.

I am hosting my sister's baby shower and I am making her cupcake cake. I love cooking so it's not a hardship. The hard part will be not licking the bowl!

I'm also getting ready to start a new job in my company and just like others my current group LOVES any excuse to have a food day but they know how serious I am about doing this program. They were very worried so finally someone asked me if I would like on or if it would be too hard for me. It shows me how much people care about what I'm doing and don't want to accidentally mess me up. I was just like them and loved food days. I told them as long as there was a veggie tray with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumber and other IP friendly veggies I would love for them to have a food day.

I feel like now if I were to cheat on the program not only would I disappoint myself but I'd let down my friends and family that are so supportive of me. I think that is one of the best incentives a person has and considering I've only got 11 more mini-goals to go (110 lbs) I pretty glad to have the support.

Jess
Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #34  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
I have a question about measuring vegetables....Since I have been on IP, I have always used fresh vegetables, but as winter comes along, I know that the fresh vegetables will be less available, quality will be poorer and they will be more expensive. So, if I switch to some canned veggies---thinking for now asparagus and mushrooms how do I do the measurements? I know a cup of canned mushrooms is much more than a cup of raw mushrooms cooked.
I think you are MUCH better off using frozen vegetables rather than canned. One, much less or no sodium added to frozen foods; and two, frozen foods are many times slightly higher in nutrients than "fresh" because they are quick frozen at the peak of their ripeness. Also, they're much easier to weigh.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by candace5 View Post
Otherwise, things are well.. I have a question tho.. are we allowed brussel sprouts?
Yes, in limited quantities. They are the first vegetable listed in the occasional vegetable category, of which we are allowed up to 4 cups per week (2 cups 2 times per week). Also listed in the occasional category are green and wax beans, eggplant, palm hearts, peppers (all colors other than green), rutabaga, snow peas, and tomato. So you could have a total of 4 cups of these vegetables in an entire week.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 215/185/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Carla, Linden, Soon to B, and everyone else who said Hi the other day when I popped in, HI back to you! I'm going to the endocrinologist today, so it seems like I should be here sharing with you all!!! I'll come back this evening and tell you all what I find out!

I've missed you all! Talk to you soon!
Hope all is well have been wondering where you have been hope all is well. I do not frequent the boards as much but am still trying to loose the weight !!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #37  
Started IP 7/7/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I think you are MUCH better off using frozen vegetables rather than canned. One, much less or no sodium added to frozen foods; and two, frozen foods are many times slightly higher in nutrients than "fresh" because they are quick frozen at the peak of their ripeness. Also, they're much easier to weigh.
Good point, but frozen mushrooms? And still, wouldn't the volume be different because the frozen has been at least blanched?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #38  
Goodbye Forever, 300's!

S/C/G: 355/282/200

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Instead of pepperoni would you consider one, low fat (and hopefully,low sodium) one slice of Canadian bacon, sliced into small pieces? You get about 3-4 times as much meat as pepperoni and only 20 calories and about .4 gr fat.
Thanks! Yes, I use some Canadian bacon often with salads, but got tired of it for a bit. I actually switched to using mini turkey pepperoni for something different, as it's much better. Also, although the serving size is an ounce, I only use half that or less. It's been a much more successful week watching the scale move!

At least last week the inches still dropped... hopefully the same in addition to the scale tomorrow!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Quote:
Hi, Marion, I checked my Joy of Cooking and found that 8 oz. (l/2 pound) fresh mushrooms equals 3 cups equals 1 cup sliced and cooked. Also 6 oz drained, canned mushrooms equal 1/2 pound of fresh. However, I always buy the fresh mushrooms. I believe that they are available year-round. I was reading a bit on-line and canning vegetables changes their carb and protein amounts, among other things. Of course, in a pinch, I think it would be OK to use them once in a while.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #40  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Good point, but frozen mushrooms? And still, wouldn't the volume be different because the frozen has been at least blanched?
You're right, mushrooms would be different. And no matter how they're treated, they don't freeze well. But mushrooms aren't a seasonal vegetable. You should be able to get them year round. I hope so, anyway.

Edit: Bev's post says it all.

Last edited by Linden; 10-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #41  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWayForGood View Post
Thanks! Yes, I use some Canadian bacon often with salads, but got tired of it for a bit. I actually switched to using mini turkey pepperoni for something different, as it's much better. Also, although the serving size is an ounce, I only use half that or less. It's been a much more successful week watching the scale move!

At least last week the inches still dropped... hopefully the same in addition to the scale tomorrow!
Sounds to me as though you're really doing well. Cheers.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 224/207/174

Height: 4'11"

I just returned from a 3 day conference, which included an extremely decadent dessert festival presented by our Culinary Arts department. I am proud to say that I declined everything! I said no to the multitude of cheese cakes, truffles, crepes, homemade ice creams, etc!
I quietly nibbled on my low-cal protein bar, which quelled any cravings I was having. I returned from the conference with a 2lb loss. Way to go Jan!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 178/134/137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joplin View Post
I just returned from a 3 day conference, which included an extremely decadent dessert festival presented by our Culinary Arts department. I am proud to say that I declined everything! I said no to the multitude of cheese cakes, truffles, crepes, homemade ice creams, etc!
I quietly nibbled on my low-cal protein bar, which quelled any cravings I was having. I returned from the conference with a 2lb loss. Way to go Jan!
Way to go!!!! That took some heavy duty will power!!! Good for you!! I love dessert and that would have been tough. Although I don't miss it that much, kinda weird. Gotta love this IP!!! As I sit here munching on my celery and enjoying it, makes me wonder how and why we make food such a big deal in our lives!! Life is good!!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Default Parmesan cheese?

I am new and find that I am missing cheese a little. I looked on the container of Kraft Parmsan cheese and it says 0/0/0 (basically no nutritional value haha) Anyone have any thoughts if a TBSP of this on my veggies or salad "de-rail" me?
Thank you for all your experience
Old 10-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #45  
Started IP 7/7/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Hi, Marion, I checked my Joy of Cooking and found that 8 oz. (l/2 pound) fresh mushrooms equals 3 cups equals 1 cup sliced and cooked. Also 6 oz drained, canned mushrooms equal 1/2 pound of fresh. However, I always buy the fresh mushrooms. I believe that they are available year-round. I was reading a bit on-line and canning vegetables changes their carb and protein amounts, among other things. Of course, in a pinch, I think it would be OK to use them once in a while.
Quote:
You're right, mushrooms would be different. And no matter how they're treated, they don't freeze well. But mushrooms aren't a seasonal vegetable. You should be able to get them year round. I hope so, anyway.

Edit: Bev's post says it all.
Thanks Bev and Linden. I was just kind of trying to figure it out in my head. Now it looks like I might have to figure out a trip to Colorado to help my parents which would involve me being with my dad at a hospital for a week, but I've got some time to cross that bridge.
Closed Thread