Water retention-is it my medicines?

• I asked this in an earlier post without many responses, so am hoping that this try will be more successful.
    Next week I'll be 2 months into IP, have followed it to the letter, but I can tell this wk that I am retaining fluid. Last wk lost only a half lb. Have been taking Vicodin for carpal tunnel in my arm for approx. 10 days. Could this be keeping me from losing? Am drinking more water than required, and eating the same thing everyday: Berry Yogurt for breakfast, Vanilla-peanut bar for lunch, and the 5 or 7 oz portion of meat/fish along with allowed veggies. Pudding as a snack around 8. Haven't steered from this at all. When I have a salad, it's with 3 Tbsp of WF Creamy Bacon. I add Splenda to my tea and pudding. Anything here that rings a bell?
    Oh, and last wk even though I lost only a half pound, I was down almost 3 inches. I don't understand how my body works.
  • I am not on IP, but opiate pain meds are basically weight loss stallers for me. They make me retain water and waste to a degree that my weight jumps up considerably.
  • uh, how have you been doing on bowel movements? Vicodin is very constipating. Also, rx strength naproxan (Aleve) made me retain water like nobody's business - like, I gained 5 lbs in a day and my fingers and feet swelled like I was 9 months pregnant. (I stopped that immediately!)
  • Quote: I asked this in an earlier post without many responses, so am hoping that this try will be more successful.
    Next week I'll be 2 months into IP, have followed it to the letter, but I can tell this wk that I am retaining fluid. Last wk lost only a half lb. Have been taking Vicodin for carpal tunnel in my arm for approx. 10 days. Could this be keeping me from losing? Am drinking more water than required, and eating the same thing everyday: Berry Yogurt for breakfast, Vanilla-peanut bar for lunch, and the 5 or 7 oz portion of meat/fish along with allowed veggies. Pudding as a snack around 8. Haven't steered from this at all. When I have a salad, it's with 3 Tbsp of WF Creamy Bacon. I add Splenda to my tea and pudding. Anything here that rings a bell?
    Oh, and last wk even though I lost only a half pound, I was down almost 3 inches. I don't understand how my body works.
    When you're taking those your doctor should tell you to take a stool softener. All pain killers are notorious for causing constipation. Moreover, if your fingers and ankles are swelling that much call and ask for something like triamterene. You shouldn't have to suffer, twice.
  • Well... I can't find anything specifically saying vicodin causes water retention. I can find things saying vicodin can increase or exacerbate constipation. I have also found articles stating that narcotics can increase fluid retention and constipation and vicodin is a narcotic. Given that some medications react differently for different people maybe, you are having some fluid retention from it.
  • Quote: Am drinking more water than required, and eating the same thing everyday: Berry Yogurt for breakfast, Vanilla-peanut bar for lunch, and the 5 or 7 oz portion of meat/fish along with allowed veggies. Pudding as a snack around 8. Haven't steered from this at all. When I have a salad, it's with 3 Tbsp of WF Creamy Bacon. I add Splenda to my tea and pudding. Anything here that rings a bell?
    i am not sure about the meds and water retention, but (and perhaps this is an oversight in writing what you are eating), are you having vegetables at lunch with your vanilla-peanut bar? For IP protocol, you need 2 cups at lunch and 2 cups with your meat protein dinner.

Hope you get the meds thing figured out. Do talk to the doctor who prescribed as side effects need to be noted. Hope your wrist heals quickly!
  • My husband gets migraines, for which he takes Naproxin and Butalbatol. They invariably make him retain weight the following day or two. Then he'll lose it. You are not alone.
  • Quote: My husband gets migraines, for which he takes Naproxin and Butalbatol. They invariably make him retain weight the following day or two. Then he'll lose it. You are not alone.
    Naproxin (Aleve) is very common to create water weight gain. Some people gain as much as 5 pounds water after it. It is also common for people with allergies to MSG to be allergic to Naproxin.

I can no longer take it. I used to but, after developing a severe intolerance to it and MSG simultaneously it is on my NO NO list. I wonder if Naproxin is a high sodium medication??
  • Quote: Naproxin (Aleve) is very common to create water weight gain. Some people gain as much as 5 pounds water after it. It is also common for people with allergies to MSG to be allergic to Naproxin.

I can no longer take it. I used to but, after developing a severe intolerance to it and MSG simultaneously it is on my NO NO list. I wonder if Naproxin is a high sodium medication??
    Since NA is the chemical symbol for salt, I'll bet it is.
  • Quote: Naproxin (Aleve) is very common to create water weight gain. Some people gain as much as 5 pounds water after it. It is also common for people with allergies to MSG to be allergic to Naproxin.

Since NA is the chemical symbol for salt, I'll bet it is.

Just checked: "Naproxen and naproxen sodium are marketed under various trade names including: Aleve, Anaprox, Antalgin, Feminax Ultra, Flanax, Inza, Midol Extended Relief, Miranax, Nalgesin, Naposin, Naprelan, Naprogesic, Naprosyn, Narocin, Proxen, Synflex, Xenobid." Wikipedia.