Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #46  
=^..^=

S/C/G: 169 / 169 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaLynn View Post
I'm back from my WI and yayyyyy ~ I lost 8.5 lbs in my third week on IP!!! With the .5 lb from last week, I've got to change my ticker to 9 more lbs down.

Nice job, Rhonda, and so glad you are encouraged!

I have a question for my wise fellow IPers. You may remember that I am very busy at work starting today and the next 10 days because a co-worker is on vacation. I got my lunch at the right time and even had a pudding waiting for me in the fridge for my late afternoon snack (I am at my job long enough that I have my snack before I head home and then have dinner a bit later.) So, I leave because I have a regular chiropractor appointment every other Monday at 5pm and I'm riding my bike hurriedly to the doc and I realize I never ate my snack and it has been 5 hours since I ate anything and I am bummed.

My doc office has 3 little dishes with dry-roasted cashews and almonds sitting next to the water dispenser. I wouldn't be home for an hour and I had no emergency food. So, I ate 8 almonds and had a glass of water before he worked on me. When I got home, I ate my IP-protocol dinner right away and I'll have a snack later.

What would you do, eat something (not protocol, but I knew there was fat and protein in the almonds), or not eat? I wasn't sure if "not eating" or eating something small was the better choice.

Opinions?

I don't carry a purse, but I learned the hard way that I need to carry emergency food with me always. I haven't bought any bars yet; I got the chocolate soy puffs for first time last week. And I have an extra vanilla RTD in my file drawer at work. But I don't want to get caught without food again.

If you know, please tell me: when confronted with 2 not-ideal options, which would have been the better choice?

thanks, my friends
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #47  
just Rhonda please!

S/C/G: 276/274/145

Height: 5'6" Started IP Diet 7/25/11

Thanks wonder cat! And I would have had the almonds too. I wouldn't want to pass out or something! I would eat my IP dinner and maybe skip the later snack to make up for eating the almonds.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonder cat View Post
What would you do, eat something (not protocol, but I knew there was fat and protein in the almonds), or not eat? I wasn't sure if "not eating" or eating something small was the better choice.

If you know, please tell me: when confronted with 2 not-ideal options, which would have been the better choice?
Me? I would eat the almonds. But I'm on the record as in favor of eating when hungry. I know that I will eat something if I'm hungry, so I'd rather eat something slightly off protocol when it's in front of me than get hungrier and probably eat something wildly off protocol on my way home.

The most important thing is that you've identified a potential gap in your planning around the program and started thinking about how you can address it and prevent recurrences.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #49  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post

Thank you for explaining. I really enjoy reading your posts and I was able to catch the new thread on holidays. I am thinking of trying the cauliflower mashed potatoes for TG. I really get alot of great info from your posts as well as many others. Thanks, again.
You're welcome! You might try a trial run of mashed rutabaga and mashed cauliflower too. I really prefer that combination. It gives a little more flavor and a slight improvement to texture because of the rutabaga but, the nice bonus, you don't get as many of the rutabaga carbs.

I very much enjoy the faux potatoes with cauliflower too. I just tend to mix it up and get some variety.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #50  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonder cat View Post

.... I'm riding my bike hurriedly to the doc and I realize I never ate my snack and it has been 5 hours since I ate anything and I am bummed.

My doc office has 3 little dishes with dry-roasted cashews and almonds sitting next to the water dispenser. I wouldn't be home for an hour and I had no emergency food. So, I ate 8 almonds and had a glass of water before he worked on me. When I got home, I ate my IP-protocol dinner right away and I'll have a snack later.

If I were in two less than Ideal situations and part of the equation was some moderately intense exercise. I would consider the almonds.

An ounce (approx 22 pieces) of dry roasted, salted almonds is about 5 carbs
An ounce of dry roasted, salted cashews is about 9 carbs

I would definitely avoid the cashews. Drink extra water to flush the salt. And DO NOT skip your snack. It is protein and it is essential to keep the metabolism steady at night. You exercised hard so just let your body burn off the few carbs you got. Get back to the low carb foods and you should be fine. If you ate just 8 pieces you barely got enough carbs to justify skipping a necessary snack today.

In the future, definitely find a way to keep a quick snack or drink packet with you. I have learned how to drink some water from a bottle and then pour the packet into the bottle, shake, and enjoy. It is fast and easy. EVERYwhere seems to have bottled water!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Pictures, pretty please? It could make us feel as though we actually get to see the wedding.
I'll post pictures after this weekend. My fiance doesn't know I use these boards so I'm pretty sure he won't see it. I have pictures of me in the sample size, but the lady helping me is in the picture too as she is pulling the dress tight to show what it would look like fitted.

No worries....pictures will happen. Sit tight......
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #52  
=^..^=

S/C/G: 169 / 169 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
If I were in two less than Ideal situations and part of the equation was some moderately intense exercise. I would consider the almonds.

An ounce (approx 22 pieces) of dry roasted, salted almonds is about 5 carbs
An ounce of dry roasted, salted cashews is about 9 carbs

I would definitely avoid the cashews. Drink extra water to flush the salt. And DO NOT skip your snack. It is protein and it is essential to keep the metabolism steady at night. You exercised hard so just let your body burn off the few carbs you got. Get back to the low carb foods and you should be fine. If you ate just 8 pieces you barely got enough carbs to justify skipping a necessary snack today.

In the future, definitely find a way to keep a quick snack or drink packet with you. I have learned how to drink some water from a bottle and then pour the packet into the bottle, shake, and enjoy. It is fast and easy. EVERYwhere seems to have bottled water!
Thanks everyone, and Carla, I read your post (from who knows how long ago as I jump around these boards following my curiosity) just this past weekend about keeping a drink mix with you at all times and getting bottled water from somewhere because you can find it just about anywhere. You were who came to mind when I realized the situation I was in. I will get some drink mix this week at WI. THANKS!
and off to eat my snack

Can't wait to see those photos, Soon 2 Be
Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 266/253.8/166

WooHoo... I wore leather today!! Bought this skirt 8 yrs ago too tight and swore i would fit in it.....

I have worn it tight the time in the past, but today it was perfect and I looked HOT!

Tried on some more clothes that have been waiting for me, and they fit, while my regular pants are looking like BOZO's.

Was too tired to cook though, so out for salmon and salad...

You guys are all an inspiration, and I find myself hoping for incredibly bad breath, knowing that is a good thing!

Have a great week!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #54  
Started IP 9/7/10

S/C/G: 353/200/160

Height: 5'10

Today I had a great NSV at my family doctor. I was scheduled for a check up as I have high blood pressure and he likes to monitor it every 3 months. After being on Ideal Protein for just 4 weeks my bp was extremely low. He reduced my dosage and said he wants to follow up in 4 weeks and in his estimation I will not need the medication any longer!
Tomorrow is my 4 week weigh in and I'm hoping for more good news. This program seems to good to be true!!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #55  
tcswain

S/C/G: Started IP 09/26/2010

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninspokane View Post
First WI today. My first week was rough to be honest. I fought nausea/headaches all week long and cheated 3 times (on relatively harmless food.. no burgers and fries or anything). I figured out what packets make me gag and what I like, so this week should go smoother.

Down 13.8 pounds... in... one... week... dot dot dot 355 to 341.2

I am trying not to get too excited, I don't want to expect this every week and only drop like 5 this week but yea... my pants feel looser >.<
Congratulations on your first week WI One for every pound you lost:
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #56  
tcswain

S/C/G: Started IP 09/26/2010

Height: 5'4"

[QUOTE=mbswainer;3507822]Happy Monday Everyone!!!! I had the best weekend! We went to a Carrie Underwood Concert! Absolutely fantastic, if any of you have the chance to see her go!! She is amazing. My NSV some pants I wore last Sat. night to a wedding were super baggy yesterday when I wore them, I love IP. Good job to all for your wonderful successes.

I am so happy that your pants are getting baggy -- that always makes me happy It sounds like you had a great weekend
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I have stomach problems frequently, but have been much better since I started using 1 probiotic capsule per day.
BevS: Which probiotic have you been using? Is it a subsititue for the Natura "Enzymes?" I've been looking for a sub for it, but haven't found anything yet. I did find something on Amazon, but they don't match up all that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbethin2011 View Post
Today I had a great NSV at my family doctor. I was scheduled for a check up as I have high blood pressure and he likes to monitor it every 3 months. After being on Ideal Protein for just 4 weeks my bp was extremely low. He reduced my dosage and said he wants to follow up in 4 weeks and in his estimation I will not need the medication any longer!
Tomorrow is my 4 week weigh in and I'm hoping for more good news. This program seems to good to be true!!

That is so amazing -- I love hearing when people no longer need meds because of this diet. I was well on my way to a high blood pressure problem before this diet -- and it's gone down so much my doc is thrilled. Congrats!!

WI tomorrow, have been hovering at 130 at home for the last two days, and since I get weighed in the middle of the day, I won't be down there tomorrow, but maybe I'll see 129 in the morning. (Hey, a girl can dream!)

JC
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #58  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
Hey Rocky Monarch. I appreciate your honesty about the holidays. It appears that I opened a can of worms about the IP philosophy. I have a couple of comments/ concerns. I understand where you are coming from as far as transforming your mind. I believe if the diet is only to lose the weight and return to previous eating patterns, one would end up at the starting block once again in a short amount of time. But, with that said, I'm not quite sure how I see IP teaching someone how to eat healthy long term. I am only in phase one and very new to the whole system but as far as I can see, it is not healthy for one to eat out of little foil packets for the rest of their lives. ...My question was strictly in reference to the opinions of others as to whether or not to have my Thanksgiving meal with the family while on protocol ... I have done alot of work in this area of my life and refuse to go back. ... If the philosphy of IP is to eliminate carbs, including and especially healthy carbs for the remainder of my life, than this diet is not for me and would not have been approved by the FDA as a healthy option for weight loss. Our great God has given us a wide assortment of fruits and vegtables among many other beautiful things and they were meant for our enjoyment and health. Just my $0.2.
Hey Mama: opening cans of worms is what this board is for, so that is a good thing (as long as we don't have to eat them!).

You are right, Phase 1 is NOT healthy or balanced. The good news is that you will eventually eat all the fruits and vegetables and not have to eat out of foil packets (thank heavens!).

As you move into Phase 2, 3 and 4, the IP protocol will gradually transition you into eating healthy, normal meals 3 meals a day for the rest of your life. (I found it very frustrating that my coach did not teach me all that up front and somehow it was a big "secret" I had to have revealed at each step. But check out the "life after phase 1 thread for the information).

If you are asking how big a deal is it to eat some green beans? As Carla explained, you can have 2 cups (without the mushroom soup and fried onions my sister would put in them!). If you want to eat a small portion of potatoes for one meal while in Phase 1, it will be a set back but with the right mindset (which it sounds like you have) it is not a crisis, even though it can be a slippery slope...

But--not to pick nits--but your original question was
"I am starting to plan for Thanksgiving and my coach is encouraging me to phase off the protocol between Thanksgiving and Christmas and then pick back up in January."

To that question, I still emphatically advise "no". Because the philosophy of IP is to (pretty much) eliminate unhealthy carbs for the rest of your life. And unfortunately for most of us, most holiday food is about unhealthy carbs--sugar, white flour, etc. So going off protocol for a 6-8 week hiatus would not just be the set back for that period of time, it would be inconsistent with what IP is all about: finding healthy ways to eat for the rest of your life.

I don't see that my point of view and yours are inconsistent, but I think I do find a flaw in your coach's thinking if that is his/her advice. What tools would s/he offer you next year to be sure you don't gain weight back (the average weight gain in the US during that time is over 5 lbs.)? If your coach really believes this is the last diet you will ever be on, then s/he is responsible for helping you develop tools for that. Giving you a "free pass" for the holidays is not doing you a favor. (sorry for the coach-bashing)

I agree that your best bet is to proceed as it seems you are thinking: stay on protocol for the holiday season. If at one holiday meal there are some things that are important to you for personal reasons, allow yourself one cheat, knowing that the next day you are back on Phase 1. Good luck in whatever you decide...this is a hard journey and we are all here to help each other. But in the end it all comes down to our personal choices (thanks Salesgod!).
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 182/146/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciebelle View Post
Do you ever find you have days on this diet where you just don't wanna see another green veg. That is me today. I am tired, cranky, don't wanna cook and prep for myself. I found myself wanting to be snappy with people. My weigh in wasn't as good as I would have liked...but it was down about a 1.5lb..

I have been doing the cooking for my family and cooking for myself (not complaining and my husband is a huge support and would take it over if I asked..up till now I have enjoyed all the cooking for other..today..not so much.

I seem to have a day like this about once a week...not as bad as this though...I am hoping it is the diet either that or I am just a b*#!*h at heart..

Anyway..came to vent..still love the diet...am digging my heals in and not going to go off protocol.

Thanks for letting me vent..off to have a nap.

Blessings,
Cie
I know how you feel Cie sometimes it gets to be to much. when i just cook meat or fish it is easy potatoes or pasta for the family and califlower etc. for me but when they ask for things like chili or lasagna then life is a little more irratating. The other part is i am the only one that can cook, they clean but even if I don't get home from work til 6 or 7 I still have to cook. There are days when I just say Boys its cereal or chef boy r dee for you I just can't do it! We all have our stories I guess just know you are not alone. And anytime you need to vent there is always someone to listen.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

I posted this on the another thread, but realized others might like it too.

If you order from New Lifestyle Diet right now, put in the code Oct2010 at checkout, and you'll get $35 off of orders over $200. 3 cases is $202, which qualifies you for free shipping. When you enter in the code, it takes you to $197 because it doesn't give you the free shipping with an order (barely) under $200. It breaks down to about $2.75 each, rather than $5 at my clinic.

Oh, and I ordered yesterday, and it'll be here on Wednesday! WOW! Every time I order I'm really happy with how fast it gets here.

Great deal!

Last edited by JessicaCourez; 10-05-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Closed Thread