Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #76  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirlie View Post
Sorry....another question here. I've seen through posts that some have mentioned an "introduction packet". Can you tell me what exactly was in this packet? When I met with my coach (who is with a health food store), I was given 1 sheet that told me what I could and could not eat. The only other thing I got was a food journal for the week so that I could chart what I ate, water intake, exercise and vitamins. So, what am I missing out on?
Mine is 7 pages of information ... The Phase 1 instructions and food lists, a tracking page, 1 page with packet:water ratios (in case you can't read the teeny faint print on the packets. The remaining 4 are about common symptoms in the first few weeks such as headaches, fatigue, hunger and what to do about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
I do have another question-this one is rather silly, but darn it, I can't find it! How do I get a weight loss ticker like you guys have?? I have looked in my change profile and can't find it.
There is a time and number of posts requirement before the option to put a signature appears in your control panel. Read the first or second post in this thread for a link to the full details.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 10-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
You are doing great!!!! 2lbs a week is 8 -10lbs a month!!!

Hi!! I don't know if the intro. packages are different in Canada from the States or from coach to coach, but with mine...i paid $354.00..I got 2 wks worth of IP food, a months supply of supplements, the shaker, food journal, a packet with the info and my 1st consultation. We don't pay for any WIs now and my coach gives us our food journals free when we need a new one.

What did you pay??
Good morning everybody!

My costs and the package I got were pretty much identical to yours. In the folder I got there was also a sheet on how to prepare the packets (because the print is so darn small on the packets themselves!), a summary explaining a little bit about the science of why this plan works and a Do's and Don't summary. Going forward the cost of food will be about $85 weekly.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
I was not going to post this because it is NOT IDEAL PROTEIN PROTOCOL. With that caveat, here we go. My weight has been hovering around the same value for the last 2-3 weeks. (212 - 210) The last few days I have had significantly more food, carbs and calories than Phase 1 recommends. Yesterday was a particularly rogue day. Given my post earlier this week about eating off program, could we say my actions and choices have been a bit hypocritical?

At today's my NWI (naked weigh-in) at home, I did a double take, stepped off the scale to see if it was reading 0 correctly and got back on. I seemingly dropped 5 lbs overnight.
Isn't it funny how our bodies work? I keep telling myself not to weigh myself every day for just that reason, but I just HAVE to see what the scale says in the morning! As I've read on this forum, I've noticed some saying that they've added an extra packet and that's ended stalls and created more weight loss too. I can't say I understand that but I guess it's a good thing!

It's a busy day for me today. Unfortunately I have to go into the office for a few hours and get caught up on some paperwork. Then in the afternoon I am helping interview student for our Rotary club's Youth Exchange program. But in between there I'm determined to make those kale chips!

Hope everyone has a wonderful IP Day!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #79  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Great Chat this weekend - I love the motivation. I weighed today (after two weeks) and I am down another 7 pounds. Every diet I have ever been on since 1971 (I was 20) I have stopped at 160. In 21 more pounds I will be at 160. I am not going to stop this time - I am going to get healthy and I am going to live a great life.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #80  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
Ok Now I am gonna open a can of worms here of what my coach told me ( in confidence) She said it is NOT IP Protocol but worked for HER when she stalled or hovered on the scale... she said to " eat a carb loaded food, not sugar loaded JUST ONCE.. it starts the pancreas again and gets the weight loss going again" I know every coach is different.. I'm just sharing what she said..

I am glad you dropped 5 more pounds I'm Svelting! I support everyone's losses!!!

I just think we all should stick to the protocol that DR Tien designed this diet to work medically and burn fat off our bodies!

Still packing for Fla ( doing laundry now)

Angel Blessings!
Not planning on trying that, but it would be interesting to learn more about why it worked for her...

Hope y'all are having a SUPER Sonday... I've been birdwatching, a cold front blew in a bunch of new birds... high temp today, 68F... it was 46F when I got up... I think it's finally fall!.. my favorite season...

hugs
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #81  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirlie View Post
Hello my fellow IP'ers. I started the IP program a little over a week ago and just joined 3FC this morning. ...
I really would like to lose the fastest amount of weight possible in the quickest amount of time. So, would you recommend I just stick to mild cardio at this time (walking, etc) rather than doing a cardio sculpt dvd (Jillian Michael's Shred)? Also, should I avoid all of the higher carb packets (the ones that are only allowed once a day)? Would that maybe help me meet my goal a little quicker?
Welcome!!

If you have been exercising prior to this, you should be able to maintain a mild cardio activity and lose well. It is a bit individual how exercise effects each of us. Try one week without exercise, then add a day or two of mild cardio. If you are losing as well as without, then add another day, keep doing this with mild cardio until you have as many days of activity as you like. THEN slowly increase the intensity of 1 or 2 work outs and see if you body can tolerate a mix of mild and moderate. If it is still losing as well as without you are in good shape. If not, back it off to where you were losing. In general, the fastest losers were just dedicated walkers. Walking 5 to 6 days a week and 3 -4 mph pace worked for one forum member. The goal for you would be to find your optimal point. If you try a week without activity you can kind of get a baseline to work from. I wouldn't use week 1 because it is a large loss of fluids that MAY NOT be repeated again.

Regarding NOT USING restricted packets, that isn't required. You may do so if you like and yes, some people have really great success and no side effects. On the other hand, boot camp for too long may cause some people to stall out. The protocol has changed and allows for the extra packet because it is helpful for several body types, those with very large amounts of weight to lose, those prone to low blood sugar, and the already athletic to obtain and sustain the more typical losses. You can choose to use them sparingly, almost like a rotation, to keep your diet interesting and shake up your body a little. Maybe have a unrestricteds for 3 days and on the 4th day add a restricted then, go back to 3 more days of unrestricted packets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
Are you really not supposed to exercise during phase 1? My coach said no strenuous cardio or weights but that light exercise and weight lifting is fine. I don't want to mess anything up. What have your results been? Also, how do you know you are in ketosis? How many total carbs are you allowed per day and still be in ketosis? HELP. I've only been at this a week!!
Your coach's advice matches that of many coaches. I didn't exercise and lost 90 pounds and toned up.

There isn't any literature that was handed out to us, that I know of, specifically stating how many carbs per day. In general the word from coaches has been 25 -30 net or under 40grams total.

Ketosis varies for people by just a little bit. It can take 3 to 10 days to get into solidly. It leaves you very thirsty, peeing a lot, bad breath, dry mouth, strange dreams, extra energy (can causes shorter sleep patterns or insomnia), and some experience constipation or diarrhea. The most obvious signs for me are a dry, metallic tasting mouth. Some people sweat ketones so they may also have a "body odor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
Next week is gobble gobble weekend up here in Canada. I noticed that brussel sprouts aren't on the selected veggie list. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be okay, and I can't imagine Thanksgiving dinner without them. Anyone know if they are okay to have? Also, any ideas on something to make so that I don't miss the potatoes, stuffing and gravy as much would be much appreciated!
Brussel sprouts are allowed and I do them pan tossed occasionally. I have made mashed cauliflower, mashed turnip, mashed rutabaga or a combo of mashed cauliflower and mashed rutabaga. All will stand in well for potatoes. I liked the flavor and carb count of the cauliflower/rutabaga (yellow turnip) the best. I make it with salt, pepper, and a bit of skim milk. If you want you can check out this thread for a stuffing recipe I used last year it was quite good (IMHO). Gravy is a bit of a challenge. I opted to do an herbed au jus instead of true gravy. I have since learned to use just 1 tsp of arrowroot powder in a cup cold water, stir, and slowly add to pan drippings. Keep the heat low and slowly incorporate it to the meat juice and you end with a great gravy. It does take a bit of practice because too much heat will break down the arrowroot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
I have a friend that did this with him about 6 months ago and he is changing stuff on me (he told me to eat one restricted food a day-even in week 1) he said the protocal has changed. I wonder if he is not trying to extend the time that I have to go to pay him. I don't know. So what are the "Perils of exercise?" and should I not do it every night? Thank You.
The protocols have changed since this summer. Trust him! Some people don't feel there are perils of exercise as, done moderately or continued by an already active person, they do not seem to change the outcomes for many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
Ladies, I need some help with trying to eat every 3-4 hours. Everyday for me is long with three little kids. So, how do you all only eat 3 IP packets a day plus the dinner meal and still eat every 3-4 hours? Also, I eat dinner at 630 at night. How do I eat my IP snack by 8pm? Your advice is appreciated!!!
I am up and start eating at 730a, then 1030a, then 1230-1p, then 330-4p, then 6 or 7p, then somewhere around 10p. I keep nibbles already cut up and handy in the fridge. I have kept cooked sliced grilled chicken and hard boiled eggs ready. I have grilled vegetables cooked and ready to be eaten cold or warmed up. I have lettuce already chopped and a topping mix of celery, cucumber, raw onion, radish, broccoli and cauliflower ready to scoop out and drop on it. I use a slow cooker on busy days to make up what I need. I also use a george forman. I was setting alarms on my phone to remind me to eat or drink; once far enough into ketosis you sometimes don't really want to do either. I keep Ready To Drink shakes available so I have no excuse for not drinking. I kept a pre packed emergency kit in my purse (still have it). I packed a lunch bag with an ice pack for days I knew I would be away from home a lot. I bought these little containers by fit and fresh that hold 2cups and have a snap in blue ice pak in the lid. It is great to throw in a large zip loc and then in my handbag or shopping tote. It keeps veggies handy and cool without a huge lunch bag or cooler with me wherever I go. I always have drink packets in my purse or, now bars, because I can quickly buy a cold water at any market or convenience store, drink some, and have room to add in the packet powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
I was not going to post this because it is NOT IDEAL PROTEIN PROTOCOL. With that caveat, here we go. My weight has been hovering around the same value for the last 2-3 weeks. (212 - 210) The last few days I have had significantly more food, carbs and calories than Phase 1 recommends. Yesterday was a particularly rogue day. Given my post earlier this week about eating off program, could we say my actions and choices have been a bit hypocritical?

At today's my NWI (naked weigh-in) at home, I did a double take, stepped off the scale to see if it was reading 0 correctly and got back on. I seemingly dropped 5 lbs overnight.
This is part of why the IP protocol was changed to encourage and include the restricted packets each day and earlier. It was found that some people respond better having the added calories and/or carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
Ok Now I am gonna open a can of worms here of what my coach told me ( in confidence) She said it is NOT IP Protocol but worked for HER when she stalled or hovered on the scale... she said to " eat a carb loaded food, not sugar loaded JUST ONCE.. it starts the pancreas again and gets the weight loss going again" I know every coach is different.. I'm just sharing what she said..
It works. Some people really do need the shake up to get things going again. In some cases people just respond to the calorie intake going up so, by adding even a little more olive oil for a day or two is enough to bump them from a slow down.

Well, another great weekend day. Off to take a long walk through our green belt with a friend then have a coffee. We have had such a fun trip. I hate to see it ending this afternoon.

I hope everyone here has a great Sunday!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 191/155/155 -- revised to /145

Height: 5'6"

Just finally have time to check in after a looong ten days or so ...

For those who also experienced that 3rd week slump, just let me say that week 4 more than made up for it for me. Not sure what happened that week, as I was totally on plan, but I didn't lose a pound. Week 4 I lost 5 pounds.

I had a NSV I want to share. I organize community wide event as part of my job, and this weekend one of the performers I hired asked me who I was ... and actually, she and I had worked together in late June at a similar event. She said, oh, you look different! I told her I'd lost 25+ pounds, and of course, she wanted to know how. What's significant about this, is that a picture of me at this event is what pushed me over the edge and made me seek out help getting rid of these pounds. That's when I found IP.

People are finally beginning to notice my weight loss. I'm not sure why it has taken so long, but my husband says it's probably because earlier on they weren't sure. But, there's little doubt now!

I have had a week from Hades, that started with a "biz" trip to Chicago that meant two nights of eating out at a great restaurant. I thought that would be my biggest challenge, and actually stuck to plan during the first night without problems. Then we get a call that my FIL had a major setback after heart surgery and we had to go to the hospital. Spending a couple of days in the hospital, eating cafeteria food was eye-opening and difficult. Who says hospital fool is healthy? Try finding a protein that's not smoothered in gravy or sauce of some type! Anyway, it was impossible to keep up protocol. I didn't eat anything "bad", as I had control over that, but I didn't always get the veggies and water and vitamins required for most of the week.

Best thing about it, I still lost 3 pounds.

Anyway, my FIL is on the mend, the last event of the year is history, and today I am rededicating myself to IP to get these last 10 pounds off. Wow, until I wrote that, I didn't realize how close I was to goal.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #83  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I was just looking through the progress photo thread. Have you all noticed how so many of them are people doing IP and how everyone is asking what we are doing?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 195/159/140

Height: 5'3" started IP Sept 13/2010

Weigh in tomorrow...week 3..think I might be at that week 3 stall. I will be surprised if I am down at all. Following the plan, not deviating, except to sometimes change the order in which I am eating.

I am wondering though if maybe I am not getting enough olive oil.

Thanks for all the inspiration!

I am really interested in the mashed cauliflower as it looks like we will be hosting Turkey day here. I like it when we host, gives me more control on what we eat

Blessings,
Cie
Old 10-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 186/131/140

Height: 5'4

As a newbiew to IP, I'm wondering what your experiences have been with holidays? Do you stay on the protocol or do you phase off and then back on once the holiday is over? I am starting to plan for Thanksgiving and my coach is encouraging me to phase off the protocol between Thanksgiving and Christmas and then pick back up in January. Any one have thoughts? Opinions? I would like to get this done as quickly as possible. I have a total of 45 pounds to lose from today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Carla for the info about eating times. Do you find it better to eat 1/2 of an IP packet in between meals instead of veggies? I'm pretty sick of veggies and I'm only in two weeks. I was thinking of splitting one of the pre made chocolate drinks in between lunch and dinner which would give 50 cal/ 10 protein and 2 carbs. I'm worried the added veggies between all the meals would really add up. What do you think?

Last question: what is your opinion of the WF foods? Are they for real? Can we really have them during phase 1? Are they really any good? I would love for this to be true

Last edited by mama2three; 10-03-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 187/152/145

Hello everyone!
I started reading your posts from August of 2009 and enjoyed them so much, I decided to join.
I am Susan, a single shift working Mom of 2 boys 16 and 3, who recently quit smoking, gained a lot of weight, and decided I needed to do something about it.
I am on Day 3 of the IP. My best friend is my consultant and she has been amazing in helping me start out. I feel awesome, and have had no side effects.
I weighed in on September 30 at 187 Pounds, I was 160 and struggling with weight when I quit smoking, I have always been comfortable around 145. I am 5'4", and cannot wait to get back into my clothes.
I have been a non smoker for 7 months!

Am so glad to have found you!

OK, so I just went back and read the entire thread! I know someone here, the one who actually gave me the inspiration to seek out IP. THANK YOU JOURNEYSEND! Even though, I never got a hold of you, I still will I'm sure, as I will have more questions. We'll have coffee soon! PS....I did go out of town and my coach is not local.

Last edited by Medicmom734; 10-03-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 186/131/140

Height: 5'4

Medicmom734 Congrats on quitting smoking!!!! I am 5'4 as well and 145 if my goal. I just joined the group the other day and there' a lot of info and advice here. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 178/134/137

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcswain View Post
Just got back from my first WI. Lost 6.6 lbs and 3.5 inches measuring off of three different places. I am very happy about that
Great job, keep it up!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post
Hello everyone!
I started reading your posts from August of 2009 and enjoyed them so much, I decided to join.
I am Susan, a single shift working Mom of 2 boys 16 and 3, who recently quit smoking, gained a lot of weight, and decided I needed to do something about it.
I am on Day 3 of the IP. My best friend is my consultant and she has been amazing in helping me start out. I feel awesome, and have had no side effects.
I weighed in on September 30 at 187 Pounds, I was 160 and struggling with weight when I quit smoking, I have always been comfortable around 145. I am 5'4", and cannot wait to get back into my clothes.
I have been a non smoker for 7 months!

Am so glad to have found you!
Great job quitting smoking!!! Welcome to our IP family, we are so glad to have you!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
Morning everyone! Hope you all have a fantastic start to the weekend. I'm going shopping for clothes this morning. Yew haw! Last weekend I purged my closet for what I think will be the last time. Getting rid of the clothes felt good, but I now only have a small handful of items to wear. I've been extremely luckY and haven't needed to buy too many new items as my closet was filled with sizes 18 - 6. Plus, I was able to supplement with items from consignment shops. Now that I'm pretty close to my "ideal" size, I'm going to splurge on a few new things. Yes, I'm a little concerned about the whole body remorphing/reshaping which a lot of those who've gone through the later phases have forwarned about, and how this could make buying new clothes unwarranted. But gosh darn it, I've finally gotten down to a decent size and I want to wear a pair of pants which fit me and don't droop in the butt! (funny side note: 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of just about perfect jeans from a thrift
shop. Was feeling pretty good about them even though they were a tad too long, but a pair of decent Levi's for only $2, I can deal with long pant legs. Anyways, I'm wearing them and feeling proud of myself. I met up with a friend who starts laughing even before I reach her. All of a sudden my fat girl
insecurities rise up and I start chastising myself for wearing the tight jeans. After a moment I realized my friend was pointing to the lower part of the jeans. You know how when you wear a pair of jeans for a long time, the knee area fades? Well the worn knee area of these jeans on me is about 2 inches below where my knees actually are. When I tried the jeans on I didn't bother looking at the knees - I was looking at how good I thought my backside looked. Ahhhh vanity.).

So, wish me luck on finding clothes which not only fit, but aren't too expensive.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post
Good morning! It is a rainy day here in Central Illinois. I was going to close my pool today, but it looks like I will have to do it tomorrow. I have an accomplishment that I am so excited about. I put on a pair of size 14 jeans yesterday and they fit perfectly. I started in 22, and I never dreamed I would see a 14 this quickly. Yea!
RO, that is amazing! I can't wait until I go down several sizes!
Closed Thread