Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 273.8/247.5/199

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAShutterbug View Post
Mel- I'm with you on this. I too am down 13 lbs in my first month and after reading thought hey that's pretty good. The one thing my coach told me this week is the water is a must. Ketosis you might not be as hungry but you still need to drink the water. I'm doing my best and kicking that up a notch.
Thanks for the support. As far as the water goes - One solution for me is to make a mug of apple cinnamon herbal tea with splenda then pour it in a 32 oz bottle and fill the rest with cold water. This makes it easy for me to get extra water in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi74 View Post
I need to lose 50 or 60 lbs, and have been following Weight Watchers for the last month. But, the weight loss is so much slower than when I followed that plan five years ago. The scale not going down (less than 5 pounds in a month) and that tempts me to give up, but I really need to lose this weight. I assume the difference between my last effort and now is age and/or menopause and the changes that accompany aging.

I tried Jenny Craig ten years ago, and it made me a nervous wreck. The "supplements" that I had to take were not adequately labeled and my doctor took the bottle from me and threw it in his trash.

I'm seriously considering IDP. Are the vitamins, supplements and powders labeled appropriately? I don't know what was in that Jenny Craig stuff, but it scared me to death! My doctor know nothing about the IPD, but he says the Atkins diet should be fine, as well as a low calorie, low fat balanced diet with a little cardio exercise.

Anyone have problems with the food, vitamins and minerals making them hyper or nervous?

I don't really understand the process (so much "shaking" lol) but it looks like I'd find a bunch of support on this forum.

Thanks!
I have tried every diet out there with very little success. I did a lot of researching before starting this program. I am so happy I did. Some days the program is rough, but that's with anything. You just have to stick with it because it does work. I have lost 13 lbs in one month. I have never done that before. As far as vitamins go, I don' t really have a problem with them. I usually take mine at lunch and in the evening because I take thyroid medication in the morning which can not mix with the calcium supplements. This is a program you can do, I found the first few days a little tough, but you can do this. Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #47  

Thanks, Melanie.

On the topic of water consumption, I have a tough time drinking plain water...it's just too boring! Adding a lemon wedge seems to solve that problem. From what I've read on this forum, lemon is okay (but not lime.) Is there a limit on how much lemon you can consume?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #48  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I have a 'cheat' weekend planned for mid November. We are going to California to visit friends we haven't seen in a couple of years and we're visiting Las Vegas for the first time. Needless to say, being on a strict diet would be difficult. So, with my coach's blessing, this is my planned cheat. I'll have been on the program for 8 weeks by then. I'll also be thinner than I've been for over 15 years! I'm not planning on going crazy, but I do plan on a few glasses of wine and some non-protocol meals.
After reading on this board, I was getting a little worried about the going out of ketosis part. I sure don't want to feel like crap while I'm down there!
But if it only sets me back a week of weight loss, I'm okay with that.
I also have a bit of a challenge involving Las Vegas....I fly out Christmas Eve and home New Year's Eve. I will have been on the program for 17 weeks and the plan is without a single cheat. I plan on bringing my food and doing the normal breakfast, lunch, snack everyday....for dinner restaurants with meat and veggie and specific cooking instructions. But 2 days that week I want to have a few glasses of wine....but I may not....depends on my weight loss and how far I will be from goal. I am 60 pounds from goal right now. I also have a cruise booked with a crew of family members (about 12 of us). I am 100% sure that will be a cheat week, but I that is 24 weeks into the program....so maybe I will be close to goal.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 220/220/160

Height: 5'6

Happy Friday everyone!
I just returned from my meetings in Toronto. I openly admit I was frustrated with the food they served. The coordinator of the event asked if there was any diet restrictions and I openly told her what was required. At any rate the last 2 days worth of menus consisted of greasy food, cookies, pasta and bbq drenched ribs! Luckily I armed myself with my own food. And when they brought food to the table that I couldn't eat I politely excused myself from the event and went to the restaraunt where we were staying and ordered the foods that I could eat.
This whole week was filled with temptations. Food wise I had no interest in cheating or going off protocol but usually there is alot of drinking at these events. Needless to say I didn't have one! I sure wanted to and maybe more so to fit in but I just couldn't rationalize slowing down my weight loss for the need to want to be apart of the "in-crowd". I gladly sipped water or herbal tea (chamomile since it has no carbs). And when temptation and peer pressure got to great I excused myself from the event. It came at a small price as some of my friends were disappointed in me since normally I am the life of the party. But my reward came after when the next morning we had to be back at the meetings and be alert these people were barely staying awake and they reaked of the alcohol coming through their pores. While I, on the other hand, energetic and bubbly and able to pay attention at what was being said.
My other win was several people were asking me what I was doing to lose weight and I gladly told them. One girl joined prior to the meetings and while at the meetings she was in week 1 (another reason why it was so important for me to stick to protocol - to support her and lead by example). And another friend of mine is trying to book an appointment today to get started.

Like in the Biggest Loser this season I too will "Pay it Forward" and share my enthusiasm and my knowledge of this program with whoever asks. There is no better feeling than knowing you were able to help someone who needs it.

Last edited by Cinders35; 10-01-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #50  
sheila

S/C/G: 198/164/125

Height: 5 ft even

so does the lettuce in our salads count as our veggies? My coach told me but I am a bit clouded today
Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #51  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I need to lose 50 or 60 lbs, and have been following Weight Watchers for the last month. But, the weight loss is so much slower than when I followed that plan five years ago. The scale not going down (less than 5 pounds in a month) and that tempts me to give up, but I really need to lose this weight. I assume the difference between my last effort and now is age and/or menopause and the changes that accompany aging.

I tried Jenny Craig ten years ago, and it made me a nervous wreck. The "supplements" that I had to take were not adequately labeled and my doctor took the bottle from me and threw it in his trash.

I'm seriously considering IDP. Are the vitamins, supplements and powders labeled appropriately? I don't know what was in that Jenny Craig stuff, but it scared me to death! My doctor know nothing about the IPD, but he says the Atkins diet should be fine, as well as a low calorie, low fat balanced diet with a little cardio exercise.

Anyone have problems with the food, vitamins and minerals making them hyper or nervous?

I don't really understand the process (so much "shaking" lol) but it looks like I'd find a bunch of support on this forum.

Thanks!
I have been on and off weight watchers for the last 12 years so many times...each time the weight loss was slower and slower. I started this program about 2.5 weeks ago. It is very easy to follow as long as you follow it. Go to the IP website and get a doctor near you that does it. Go and start today...you will have no regrets.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila1971 View Post
so does the lettuce in our salads count as our veggies? My coach told me but I am a bit clouded today
Nope lettuce if free....eat romaine if you can, more nutrients
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #53  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Bite you tongue.
Quote:
Anyone have problems with the food, vitamins and minerals making them hyper or nervous? !
A lot of the Jenny Craig products (and some WW) have an artificial sweetener (something like Pheno-something?) that makes a lot of people jittery. Made me into a literal crazy person--like erratic behavior. Not sure if they still use it, but it was awful. There is nothing like that in IP.

regarding the supplements, I'm not sure what you are looking for in labeling? they all have the ingredients clearly labeled if that is what you are looking for?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #54  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

What a can of worms I feel I have opened by posting a no cheat weekend challenge last week.

Responses have been overwhelming to say the least! Some responses almost felt like a personal attack. I do take things personally though.

To clarify what I meant by it, I did not imply that cheating is ok. It is not ok to go off protocol if you want to reach your goals. It does slow down your progress and it costs you financially. Common sense tells us that. I merely meant that I personally need to pledge to others and myself that I plan on being true to IP. If that means, by posting that I am going to have a cheat free day, weekend, week, month, life so maybe others will join me who are also tempted to cheat, I truly hope that this helps them and me. I think that is a good thing.

Not everyone has support at home. Some of us actually have people in our lives that don’t want us to be successful on this weight loss program for their own reasons. Not all of us have strong will power. Some of us are new and still trying to break old habits. Maybe some of us need reminding that we are not alone, and if by pledging to not cheat, we will think back to our commitment we made on this forum, and it will get us through our tough days that some of us have. Not all of us have strong will power. By reaching out, and encouraging others here on this board, to stay the course, we will all arrive at our goals.

When I first started the IP program, I did have a few small slips from protocol. Now I don’t cheat and want others to join me on that promise. If that means pledging to remind each other how important it is to stay on protocol and that we are in this together, I see no harm. If others don’t agree, that is fine. But I will still reach out to others who are struggling and need the extra hand to stay with this lifestyle. That is why I came to this site in the first place. Seeking advice from others, who understand where some of us are at in our lives. Maybe these no cheat posts belong in the cheating forum, but what harm does it do to post it in daily chat to keep those who haven’t cheated from doing so? I personally see no harm. There are many posts that have nothing to do with IP. I see no problem with that either. Although some, I question where it is going with the dialogue. But I make no comment. We all dance to a different drummer.

My background as owning two successful businesses with employees has made me discover that sometimes, people need encouragement to do a better job. Everyone needs coached in different ways. Most of my employees perform better when I speak to them and in an uplifting manner instead of directly pointing to their flaws. I have also found that when we speak off the cuff, it does nothing but get their backs up and their performance slides. That is human nature.

I call it, “paying it forward.” Watch the movie, Pay It Forward, and you will understand. (I just checked the daily chat and noticed someone else just used this same phrase.) It is a phrase that I have instilled into my children when they were growing up, and who now are successful in business doing pro bono legal work, volunteering for the needy, and in their relationships with others in their lives.

Here’s to a cheat free life. And remember, pay it forward please.
Sincerely, with hope that all of us reach our goals
Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #55  
Tee

S/C/G: 172/172/107

Height: 5'2"

Great stories today!! Yeah on the weight loss and recommitment!! I recommitted last week and actually I recommit really every day. I get up get my coffee and mix it with the pudding and steva grab my salad and veggies and two more protein drinks. Dinner is becoming easier. My family decided what I was eating is what they wanted to eat. I always fixed my plate like I was a chef showing off my new recipe. WI tonight I am thinking I might have lost close to 2lbs but its cold here now so I have jeans on and that should add about another .5lbs to weight in tonight. I am good with that!!

Happy Friday everyone!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
A lot of the Jenny Craig products (and some WW) have an artificial sweetener (something like Pheno-something?) that makes a lot of people jittery. Made me into a literal crazy person--like erratic behavior. Not sure if they still use it, but it was awful. There is nothing like that in IP.

regarding the supplements, I'm not sure what you are looking for in labeling? they all have the ingredients clearly labeled if that is what you are looking for?

Thanks so much...I just want to know that all of the ingredients are on the label, just in case there's a problem. That Jenny Craig stuff had absolutely nothing abut the ingredients, although that's likely different now.

All of your positive responses are making me much closer to scheduling that first consultation (or whatever IPD calls it!) Wish I could get one scheduled today, but the first available time that I can schedule is likely almost a week away.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #57  
sheila

S/C/G: 198/164/125

Height: 5 ft even

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
What a can of worms I feel I have opened by posting a no cheat weekend challenge last week.

Responses have been overwhelming to say the least! Some responses almost felt like a personal attack. I do take things personally though.

To clarify what I meant by it, I did not imply that cheating is ok. It is not ok to go off protocol if you want to reach your goals. It does slow down your progress and it costs you financially. Common sense tells us that. I merely meant that I personally need to pledge to others and myself that I plan on being true to IP. If that means, by posting that I am going to have a cheat free day, weekend, week, month, life so maybe others will join me who are also tempted to cheat, I truly hope that this helps them and me. I think that is a good thing.

Not everyone has support at home. Some of us actually have people in our lives that don’t want us to be successful on this weight loss program for their own reasons. Not all of us have strong will power. Some of us are new and still trying to break old habits. Maybe some of us need reminding that we are not alone, and if by pledging to not cheat, we will think back to our commitment we made on this forum, and it will get us through our tough days that some of us have. Not all of us have strong will power. By reaching out, and encouraging others here on this board, to stay the course, we will all arrive at our goals.

When I first started the IP program, I did have a few small slips from protocol. Now I don’t cheat and want others to join me on that promise. If that means pledging to remind each other how important it is to stay on protocol and that we are in this together, I see no harm. If others don’t agree, that is fine. But I will still reach out to others who are struggling and need the extra hand to stay with this lifestyle. That is why I came to this site in the first place. Seeking advice from others, who understand where some of us are at in our lives. Maybe these no cheat posts belong in the cheating forum, but what harm does it do to post it in daily chat to keep those who haven’t cheated from doing so? I personally see no harm. There are many posts that have nothing to do with IP. I see no problem with that either. Although some, I question where it is going with the dialogue. But I make no comment. We all dance to a different drummer.

My background as owning two successful businesses with employees has made me discover that sometimes, people need encouragement to do a better job. Everyone needs coached in different ways. Most of my employees perform better when I speak to them and in an uplifting manner instead of directly pointing to their flaws. I have also found that when we speak off the cuff, it does nothing but get their backs up and their performance slides. That is human nature.

I call it, “paying it forward.” Watch the movie, Pay It Forward, and you will understand. (I just checked the daily chat and noticed someone else just used this same phrase.) It is a phrase that I have instilled into my children when they were growing up, and who now are successful in business doing pro bono legal work, volunteering for the needy, and in their relationships with others in their lives.

Thankyou because I personally feel that it is ok to say how your feeling about the program, and lets face it for some cheating is a reality and it may be one little thing a person posts that changes the outlook of another. NO ONE is perfect but together we all can be GREAT!!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:

Well Said!!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #59  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodomommy View Post
Linden thanks for the compliment in yesterday's post about my avatar..No need to apologize about just noticing, i only put it up a few days ago and I don't post too often. I must say, I cringe when I look at the before photo...but it's good therapy to remind me of where I came from. Have a great I.P. Friday.
You Look GREAT!! I love the new avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post

I talk about this because I find the chat changing from when I first came to the boards in July. There was a lot of encouragement all around and if you wanted to talk about cheating, you went to the thread about "cheating" and discussed it there. I think as people that have been committed to this protocol, it is important to role model the positive behaviors for the new people that are starting every day. Cheating is not an option! We shouldn't need cheat free weekends, our week should naturally include not eating off of protocol. Things happen and sometimes people do slip, but you get back up and start again. We don't hope that it is not going to happen tomorrow. We commit to ourselves and the people on this board that it is not happening - not any more.

When we let ourselves down, we lose self esteem, lose belief that we can be successful, fail at other things in our lives, and remain unhappy. Please don't give up on yourselves. Determine what it is that you can live with and go for it. Recommit to yourselves that the Ideal Protein Diet Plan can work for you.

I love you all and want everyone to be successful - Thanks for being there.
Very nice reminder that cheating should be far from our minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

Here's what I tell my writing students (repeatedly!). Use transition to smooth out your writing.
But I do believe that you can say BUT to what you were and AND to what you are becoming, and what you want to be. Does that make sense?
I like this! What a great way to look at things. I am printing this out to keep handy!

Quote:

I am not sure who has said what but for as many people as are here there are quite nearly as many opinions.

I agree with your approach and see no problem with it. Many people have commented how difficult the weekends are and that it is easier to be focused and avoid cheats when they are busy at work. I think having the support, encouragement, "challenge", or motivation to help a person focus and retrain themselves from old habits is perfectly appropriate.

Just because we acknowledge that cheats can happen and our objective is to avoid them DOES NOT mean we condone or accept them or even seek them. The challenge you presented I saw as just the opposite of encouraging cheats. I saw it acknowledging some people are struggling to change lifestyles and those lifestyles can be most tempting on the weekend. I saw it as providing a "thing" for those people to use to stay strong and build a new set of habits.

As is pointed out in the quote below, we are imperfect and some of those on IP have and will cheat in one way or another, it can be talked about in the cheat thread but, it should be encouraged away from in the daily chat. I think you were trying to do that.

I, for one, appreciated your post last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila1971 View Post
Thankyou because I personally feel that it is ok to say how your feeling about the program, and lets face it for some cheating is a reality and it may be one little thing a person posts that changes the outlook of another. NO ONE is perfect but together we all can be GREAT!!
Agreed!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #60  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Hello All!

Well, I have company in town this weekend so I am not sure how much I will be around. I will try to post when I can.

For those who like ice cream, I shared an ice cream recipe in the recipes 2 thread yesterday. It was created by a facebook pal of mine. I don't have an ice cream machine yet but, remembered a few of you have them so, give it a try! She swears it is great!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Closed Thread