I P Weekend Chat, September 25-26, 2010

You're on Page 5 of 10
Go to
  • Quote: Does anyone know where I can find the nutritional values for all the IP products? And what's the limit on daily carb intake? Is there a suggested carb intake for being on the IP Bootcamp?
    Thanks
    Have you looked at the stickies? All the information is there.
  • Quote: so i was just thinking about it and besides calories... what is wrong with say taking shots of jack daniels (calories 68, sugars 0, carbs 0) ??
    Two reasons: biochemistry and lowered inhibitions.
    Rachel, despite what you might hear or what the label says, alcohol is nothing other than carbohydrates. It plays around with the body chemistry that you're carefully managing with Ideal Protein.

Carla posted a really great answer about alcohol in the "Oops thread" here

Another good discussion

Others have posted about having alcohol of different sorts while on Phase 1, and most have reported that they had a shot of something, then another, etc. AND because they were a little less in control, indulged or binged on some old favorite carb-y foods.

There's nothing inherently wrong with bourbon, vodka, etc. but it could well compromise your results this week and could cost you a setback of between 2-5 days. For me that adds up to between $24 and $60 of packets. Is the JD $25 good? $60 good?

I've got a bottle of a good champagne that I'll open at a major event, either at my wedding next year or when I reach my weight goal. Would you consider waiting until you've let the program work its magic on you and you've reached your goal?
  • Hi all,

I'm guessing this would qualify as a NSV...I was letting my dogs out tonight and two of the neighbor men were across the street talking and one yelled over "how much weight have you lost?" and I said 49 lbs. The reply came back, "Well, you look great" to which I replied, "Well, I feel great...but I'm not finished yet"...and then the other voice from across the street said "Well, you're going to be a Cougar". Made me laugh...I'm probably more of a pussy-cat! It felt wonderful tho.

Marilyn
  • Quote: Well Good Morning Everyone!
    I have to admit that I was starting to panic about my trip to Toronto next week. I spoke with my boss to find out what was on the agenda as far as dinners go and he assured me that we were eating at a restaurant. So normally during our conferences they offer plenty of salad and veggies so I wasn't worried and then....
    I find out on the one day that we are going to a Bluejays game! Which means no restaurant for dinner instead hot dogs and pizza! I emailed my friend who has been there for support thinking that she would tell me that it's only one meal and to my surprise she had a fantastic idea. Speak to the hotel and in the morning have them deliver some raw veggies to my room and bring some ziploc baggies with me. My room has a fridge so I can store the veggies in there during the day and before we head out I can throw the baggie in my purse. That way while everyone is enjoying their greasy food I can still stay on program and I will bring an extra pack of protein with me since I won't be able to have meat!
    I felt so relieved that I wouldn't have to venture off program! And then I got mad because I didn't think of it myself! haha
    This is a great idea and quite clever! We have to make the program work while we live our lives, not making excuses. Today I went to a college football game and I just ate my snack (RTD vanilla) for lunch while at the game and then ate 2 meals later at home (with all the veggies). I was worried that security might not let me in with my Vanilla and water (my plan was to drink them right then and there if they wouldn't let me in). Security checked my bag, and didn't fuss at all, but I know some venues will not let you bring anything in. I'm going to use your plan at the next game; it would be nice to have something else to snack on while all those peanuts/popcorn/cracker-jack/hot dogs get passed around.

Quote: Are Walden Farms products available in grocery stores, or is it online only? I've been making my own salad dressings (olive oil & vinegar or mustard & vinegar with splenda) but would love to find the WF products, especially in the individual packets.
    Pinky, I hope you can find the WF at the Metro like Jacqueline and I'm svelting said. But if not, I ordered the individual packets from carbsmart.com. They do ship to Canada and I got mine in about a week (but I'm not in Canada, so....)

Quote: I'm pledging to stick to a NO CHEAT weekend. Who's with me?
    I'm in with all of the rest of you. Thanks for putting out the invitation, ihm!
  • Quote: Hi all,

I'm guessing this would qualify as a NSV...I was letting my dogs out tonight and two of the neighbor men were across the street talking and one yelled over "how much weight have you lost?" and I said 49 lbs. The reply came back, "Well, you look great" to which I replied, "Well, I feel great...but I'm not finished yet"...and then the other voice from across the street said "Well, you're going to be a Cougar". Made me laugh...I'm probably more of a kitty-cat! It felt wonderful tho.

Marilyn
    What a great NSV! You go girl.
  • Quote: I posted about this a few days ago but it is still on my mind. I only had 13 days between my periods. Having a horrible hormonal month-- and have read here that IP can mess with your cylce but I have ALWAYS been very regular (28 days) and do not take birth control. I am 35 years old.

Has anyone else had this happen to them on IP and if so does it go back to normal?

I am going to search for past discussions because I remember reading them but this has nothing to do with birth control as I do not use any.

On a good note: this second cycle seems to have gotten me past my plateau.

Had bloodwork done yesterday and hope everything comes back OK.
    Good evening! I have read many posts about IP messing up people's TOM. Also, realize that the rapid weight and fat loss you are undergoing are partly responsible too. I am a nurse practitioner, and I want to reassure you that these irregular TOMs are to be expected and not medically dangerous!! Just really inconvenient for you! Now, if someone had been menopausal, then started IP, and started TOM again, that would definitely be abnormal and that person should definitely consult their health care provider.

Debbie

Just wanted to reassure everyone....
  • Thanks for all the info on alcohol... i was mostly wondering about the nutritional value affecting this diet. i definitely understand the part about i making us make other poor choices (i alwayssss have a ton of pizza if i drink) so it's best if i stay away.. thanks!
  • Quote: Count me in !! My son same home yesterday with a big box of BIG chocolate bars he has to sell. Everyone had one except me. I told everyone if you are going to buy them please hide them. Last night while watching TV the darn Smarties were calling out my name. I kept saying to myself you can do this you can do this and I DID !! I did not give into temptation.
    Wow! You resisted chocolate bars AND Smarties all in the same day!

• Quote: Do you know about Dr. Tran's website? He's the dr behind the way the IP works. Here's his website: http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19
    You can do the diet that is on his website. He has all the Phases on the diet, except you don't use the official IP packets. You use protein powder you buy yourself and make shakes. Plus his website is packed with information and even a online book you can read for free! Don't give up!!!
    oh thank you for sharing this!!! I just need to know where I can purchases a NON sweetened with anything artificial protein whey powder?? I was searching online and found some with stevia- no no!! I want NO Sweeteners of any kind..does anyone know of any? I would need 18 grams protein per drink and low carbs and low calories like IP to ( I sound like Tim Gunn)make it work""
  • Quote: I am sitting in statistics class all day. I will be so glad to get this class over with. I hope everyone has a blessed weekend.
    Ugghh! Your post has given me a flashback to last summer when I took a compressed stats course.
    I felt the same way as you....just get through it! I hope you get Sunday to relax!
  • Boring food day...
    Hi All!

Hope your weekend is well. I love stopping by here and reading how your all doing. Hang in there everyone! Sounds like many temptations are out there for folks between cinnamon rolls and shots of whiskey.

I'm having the opposite problem this weekend. Bored with my food choices and not eating all I'm supposed to and took a day off of my vitamins for no apparent reason. Also short on my water a bit. So tom. I commit to being much much better!

I'm done a couple more pounds, yay! I was so much more comfortable in the pews at church today. I could cross my legs and kneel on one knee, haven't been able to do that in a while. I still have so far to go that I get to feeling sorry for myself sometime, but I am determined to take this to the end and I'm so grateful to have this place to check in with all of you!

See you soon!
    MJ

Never give up!
  • Oh my, I just realized I screwed up on my halloween ticker. No I have not lost 115 pounds! But I hope some day to be able to say I've lost even more then that! LOL

P.S. I fixed it, it was fun to see that number for a moment in time though!
  • Protein Powder
    Quote: oh thank you for sharing this!!! I just need to know where I can purchases a NON sweetened with anything artificial protein whey powder?? I was searching online and found some with stevia- no no!! I want NO Sweeteners of any kind..does anyone know of any? I would need 18 grams protein per drink and low carbs and low calories like IP to ( I sound like Tim Gunn)make it work""
    Hey CC,

LOTS of companies make unflavoured, unsweetened plain as plain can be protein powders. They make them protein powders from whey protein, 100% whey isolate (more expensive but better quality), soy protein, soy isolate (again more $, but better quality), rice protein, and hemp, and possibly one or two others base substances that I don't recall, and most brands will have an unflavoured, unsweetened option, because athletes who are the ones who mostly use this type of product like to make smoothies from fruit juices, add protein to soups, etc, and often don't want flavourings of any kind.

I've tried several types, and I like the 100% whey isolate from New Zealand the best. It has the smoothest texture and the least taste, and being from NZ is very pure at the source, but it is made from milk, so if you have milk or soy allergies, you might like the rice protein better. I found the hemp protein powder to be very gritty and ended up tossing it out, but only because I didn't like the texture.

You should be able to find a selection at any good healthfood store, or at a well stocked grocery store. I found several brands at my local Loblaws in Toronto, but I have also bought it at a health food store, and shops like GNC that specialize in protein powders and other supplements for athletes. The brand I have bought recently is InterActive Nutritionals Abosolute Isolate Protein. It was about $25 or so for 340g.

By the way, if it is the sweetener that is causing the migraines, some types of flavoured protein powders are now being sweetened with FOS (fructooligosacharides) which are supposedly healthy, natural low glycemic sweeteners made from chicory root fibre. I have one I haven't tried yet that I got at the Low Carb Grocery, called Chocolite Protein. It has 150 cal, 3 g fat, 24g protein, 8g carbs, but 5 g fibre, so only 3 net carbs per serving. It is made by Healthsmart Foods in Evansville Indiana, so you should be able to get it in the US. I think it was $25 for 418 g.

If you Google "unflavoured whey protein isolate" or "unflavoured protein powder" you'll find lots of choices. They even sell it on Amazon!

Jackie
  • Hiya everyone!
    I've been doing great the last few days... NO CHEATS! I've been starting to figure out how to spice things up a little bit better, which has been helping me dramatically. I found this awesome flavored water called MetroMint. The have peppermint, spearmint, chocolate might, and now berrymint. I love the chocolate mint. If you've ever had mint chip ice cream... yea.. HEAVEN! The good thing is its 0 everything. So its a nice treat than plain water. I'm excited to find the berrymint.

I know you're not supposed to do a lot of exercising at first, but I have been walking more and more and I've got to say.. I feel awesome after walking. I can totally see and feel a difference in my legs. Mind you, I'm not walking miles, but a good 20-30 minutes of a "decent" pace for me. However, the last two nights of which I haven't walked... I'm finding about an hour after I eat dinner, I feel like I haven't eaten all day. It's really weird because I tried moving up my snack to comfort the hungriness.... and it really hasn't helped. Last night I made some turnip chips to fill the void rather than cheat. I realize that most would say just have another packet, but I'm finding that is not helping much. I know it says we can have unlimited lettuce, but it that just at meal times or if I'm feeling hungry can I chow down on a salad in between as well? I'm loving this program and I really want to stick to my guns here... but gosh darn my "I'm hungry, please feed me all the time" belly.

In other news, today I found that diet rite zero cola might be something I'll get for those days when I'm really craving a soda... as its made with splenda and all zeros otherwise. It's funny, but when I was looking at drinks at my grocery store and asked my grocer about the sugar free, carb free, decaf drinks... he said " are you doing this for diet purposes? Because it's definitely showing!" My fat little heart blushed, I swear! (I live in a tiny town where everyone knows everyone.)

Congrats on everyone sticking to it throughout the weekend and all the successful wi's. Man, I'm excited for the holidays to come rolling around.. not because of the food, but because my family will finally get to see the new and improved thinner me... and I don't have to worry about a new years resolution this comming year, I've already have a lifetime resolution in the works.
  • Quote: Pinky ... that's exactly where I found mine - on an almost aisle-cap in a Metro store. I think at the store I went to, it was next to the spices.

Jacqueline Which Metro did you find the WF? I went to several before finding them at Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke.
    Hi I'm Svelting, the Metro was the one at Shopper's World at 3003 Danforth Avenue, at Danforth and Victoria Park. I only went there because someone else (maybe you?) mentioned a while back that they had found WF products at Metro. And there they were--a surprisingly good selection, too.

Pinky, if you don't have Metro in SK, you can also order it from the Low Carb Grocery or Low Carb Canada. These are both in Ontario, but you might find similar outlets out West. If you go the the "Information for Canadian IPers" sticky, Sandy gave a list of places that ship WF and Lindora products to/in Canada. Good luck on your mission! Oh, and it just occurred to me that some of our colleagues in Manitoba and Alberta may have good suggestions for outlets nearer to you--what say you ladies?

Jackie