Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #31  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
aAs you burn fat it's as if you've gained an ovary or two.
Ah-ha! So that's where those ovaries came from!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
Ah-ha! So that's where those ovaries came from!
Well you do want to get rid of them, don't you? They wouldn't look so good in either your animal print or your Santa Claus Speedos!

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 09-23-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #33  
=^..^=

S/C/G: 169 / 169 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmln3x View Post
Mornin' everyone. Today is my first official WI... wish me luck... I'm off to see the wizard.
Good Luck!

small NSV for me: just as I am starting my salad & vanilla rtd (almost same lunch everyday - but I am only on day 6). Anyway, I found a ziploc bag of Kettle baked potato chips that I brought last week for lunch (I was cleaning out my junk food by eating it!). Only slight hesitation as I tossed the ziploc in the garbage. All of YOU warning us about cheats worked. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

HI Everyone,

The last couple of weeks have been crazy busy for me! Plus, I've been dealing with some health "yuck". Grrr....

Sounds like everyone is doing great and working hard to stay on plan. Good job! Keep it up!

Last edited by makeitmatter; 09-23-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #35  

Height: 5'10"

Hello everyone! It's been a few days since I've checked in but just wanted to say hello! I was reading over today's thread and just wanted to comment to those who may be in the early weeks of the program. I was just talking with my coach last night and we were looking over my chart and how much has been lost so far. Weeks 4 & 5 I only lost about 2 pounds each week. She mentioned that sometimes your body can give you some resistance when your body is switching over from burning carbs to burning fat. I know that some coaches say that you burn that down the first 3 or 4 days. But for me, who wants to lost 100+ pounds, it was about week 5 before I really started to notice some substantial loss from week to week.

Hang in there, keep following the protocol and it will kick in!!

Last edited by Kristiv88; 09-23-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 195/159/140

Height: 5'3" started IP Sept 13/2010

Good Morning All!

I have a couple of questions:

1. I tried linking several quotes so I could respond to individuals, and I did look at the sticky about it. I got the part about hitting the multiple links but when I go to do my post I cannot find the button to press to make them show up in my post.

2. Yesterday I mentioned that my coach said celery and cukes are unlimited and someone commented that they are...I think that is what she said..so are they or aren't they.

3.Rhubarb? Is it allowed as a non restricted? I am only in week two. I keep hearing people talk about it but not sure where it fits in.

4.Thank you all for your answers and encouragement and sending out encouragement to you all today and hugs to those who need it today. I appreciate you all. Coming here helps so much and if I am tempted to cheat I come here and read some posts and think about what I would be giving up if I did cheat.

Blessings,
Ciebelle
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #37  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatnFunky View Post
Dear IP friends, I need a PEP talk! I am drinking over 100 oz of water per day, I am weighing and measuring, and I haven't even come close to cheating. The only thing I do have trouble with is my schedule doesn't allow me to eat every 4 hours. Breakfast drink is at 7, lunch is at 12, Dinner is at 5-5:30 and my snack is at 8. After a nice first 2 weeks, (14 pounds), I have stalled. My scale at home has only moved .5 pounds in 2 weeks. I am feeling so discouraged. Inches have slowed too. I have added walking every other day. TOM is completely messed up, used to be like a clock--last month 5 days early, this month 5 days late and still waiting! PMS is OOC, and I need some help! I am also at the weight where I stall at every diet I have ever done. Please help me get past this road block!!!! I am getting desperate. How can I possibly consume less than 1000 calories a day for 14 days and see such small results when others do so well? I am sure I am not the only one that has faced this -- Any suggestions?
If you are not hungry don't worry about the 4 hour requirement. REALLY... if you are hungry you should eat but, if you aren't you are ok. Some people need to eat every 2 to 3 hours others can go 6 very easily. Just make sure you get in all your food each day.

If the scale is moving, you are slowed down NOT stalled. I hate to say that but, it is true and it happens. Your body will make adjustments as you do this program. DO NOT expect that you will have a linear weight loss it is rare and very few people lose the same or close to the same each week.

There are many things that effect weight loss. One of them is stress so, first things first, free yourself of the expectation to meet a certain weight loss goal each week or a mini goal by a certain date. If you are doing the program as written, your body may fight you but, you will win!

Another issue is menstruation. Women are unlucky enough to have to deal with it and for some women it can really slow you down for 1 or 2 weeks. If that is your case, look at a 4 week window of loss before you worry. I literally slowed down 2 weeks out of every month because of the way my hormones and related water weight effect me.

If your TOM is effected you are probably experience a major hormone shift. Let your body adjust to the changes. Keep doing what you are and it will eventually give you the results.

If you are not eliminating your bowels well, the BIG C, then you can have these issues too. Make sure you are talking with your coach. There are several techniques or products you could try to get things moving.

Are you getting enough oil? Are you taking omega oil too? Some people can't lose if they don't have at least 30% fat in their diet. It might be worth exploring.

If you are sure you are measuring and weighing everything, not adding any extra foods not on the program, watching your portions, getting in all of your salt, water, and supplements, then I can't think of any other considerations.

Do be patient with yourself. It is HIGHLY NORMAL to hit points our body was comfortable at before and just "hang around for awhile". Remember YOU want to lose weight but YOUR BODY wants to create homeostasis. Homeostasis is basically your body trying to create a state of equilibrium, where all body systems are working and interacting in an appropriate way to fulfill all the needs of the person and/or the body. It allows the cellular structure and bodily needs to be met consistently DESPITE or IN SPITE of whatever external forces are being exerted on them. That said, overtime you will win but, the body generally will get the upper hand to begin with. You are forcing many changes on your body -hormones, metabolic processes, reduction in fluid and blood volume, changes in energy sources and changes in blood pressure. If your body needs time to adapt, relax and let it happen. Continue to "coach" it to how you want it to respond by staying on the plan. Let it figure out how it can do that an still maintain what you need on a cellular level. It became "happy" and comfortable at a certain level of body fat and was familiar with how to operate there. As you lose, you may find your body recognizes certain points it operated at fairly easily and just wants to hang around awhile.

I know, I personify this a little too much perhaps but, really, it isn't just about you and your will power. We are a highly complex machine that self-regulates. It isn't like we can control it all!

You are doing great! Just stay to the plan and look at your results on a monthly basis instead of day to day or weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Jayne View Post
Good morning all !

Can Carla or anyone give me clear information on exactly why we cannot have pop/soda on this plan? I have some info in my manual but it is really unclear and complicated. Is it the pancreas that is put into action or is just that it changes the alkalinity of the body? Thanks in advance for any clear, simple info you can give me.

Thanks and have a great day everyone !
Elizabeth gave a great reply. No, part of it doesn't apply to diet soda, you don't get the sugar rush but the other parts still matter.

Related to this diet, the caffeine push is not the concern, we are allowed coffee and tea.

The big reason for not having soda is the phosphoric acid. The phosphoric acid robs your body of essential nutrients and changes you from a more alkaline PH to a more acidic PH. It essential has a negating effect on the calcium and magnesium we take each day.

Soda also can stimulate appetite for some people. So, it might be removed to prevent a trigger for a craving.

I know several people on this plan that have lost successfully and large amounts while drinking soda. It is not the plan, it is not preferred but, for some people it isn't a problem. Also, I know some coaches that will allow it in moderation if it means a person is able to stick to the plan and get the overall results as opposed to going off and using foods that aggravate the pancreas, upset ketosis and weight loss.

Some may say it is the citric acid which can cause an insulin spike. Yes, for a very, very small number of people it is possible that may happen.

I have read that some dislike soda because of a theory that the citric acid kicks off the krebs cycle (normal energy production in the body) and removes us from the Cori Cycle which we are in for ketosis. I have not yet found anything that strongly proves that belief.

Others may say it is the aspartame. It isn't. This diet was originally designed around, and obtained great results, using Stevia in one country and Aspartame in another country. The sweetener is not the problem many people successfully manage ketogenic diets with aspartame, saccharin, or sucralose amongst other sweeteners. The problem is moderation. If you use to much of most artificial sweeteners you begin to get sneaky carbs. And, some of these other sweeteners do create a measurable insulin impact in SOME people.

Another consideration is soda is a chemical. Chemicals are processed by the body differently than water. They must be broken down and flushed out in our liver and kidneys differently. The impact to the kidneys from the metabolism of soda has been studied and it isn't favorable.

The biggest reason I see and have heard outside of the phosphoric acid issues is MODERATION. Many people will forfeit water in favor of a flavored drink. A little soda won't present a problem to how your body flushes toxins or metabolizes fat but a lot of soda, to the point you stop drinking or have too little free/available water, will create an issue.

Your body requires water to remove fat and toxins. The liver can not effectively process fat without the presence of water. There is a logical reason. When the kidneys do not have enough water the liver kicks in to help process toxins. Removal of toxins is a bodily function that takes priority over fat metabolism. Because the liver is the organ that both backs up the kidneys and processes fat, fat metabolism slows down. Having that soda actually gives your body a double whammy. It INCREASES toxins and DECREASES available water. The end result is an added load on the kidneys which, if they can't manage that load causes the liver to slow down metabolism.

Some people try to justify and ask "isn't soda made with water?" Sure, and there is water in vegetables too. The problem is it isn't "freely available". SODA is a chemical. It is several things bonded to water. It must be broken down to obtain the water. In the process of breaking it down our body is still using water so we never really get the full value of "water" from soda. Justify it all they like no one has yet been able to show me we get the same value of water from soda.

Water is one of those essential elements along with food and air. I think the reason the diet discourages other drinks including soda is the more "sweet" drinks tend to cause people to substitute away from water.

Here is an interesting overview about water, bodily function and colon health. http://www.colonhealth.net/free_reports/h2oartcl.htm

I hope that helps some!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 09-23-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #38  
=^..^=

S/C/G: 169 / 169 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
Sounds like everyone is doing great and working hard to stay on plan. Good job! Keep it up!
Sounds like YOU are doing a great job and working hard to stay on the plan. You joined 3FatChix in June, but did you start IP then? Starting weight of 237 and today at 127 is absolutely phenomenal.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #39  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
I am not hungry and don't have cravings (except maybe for a glass of wine after work, but that's just habit because it was my comfort, relax thing). I can't say I have a lot of energy though. I've been sleepier than normal the last two evenings. The last two mornings I've had a very mild headache first thing and I rarely have headaches.

kaarin, The good news is that my scale says that I've lost almost 4 pounds as of this morning. I just wonder what this ketosis feeling is?
Ketosis is when your body starts burning the fat for its source of energy (which is the premise behind IP). When you hit ketosis you often get a bad or metallic taste in your mouth and sometimes you see a slightly different look to your urine. Since you are on day 4 you are probably already in ketosis or will be reaching it any time now. Your energy should start increasing now and headaches decreasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox824 View Post
Waking up to a great day and feeling positive about this lifestyle change. The pounds may not seem to be moving, but the inches are! Hmmm, does that mean the fat is just migrating around and eventually I'll have 36" ankles?
rox824, LOL! I seem to have a good weight loss week with a low inch loss week alternating with a good inch loss week with a lower weight loss week. As long as you see improvement yourself that is all that matters!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatnFunky View Post
After a nice first 2 weeks, (14 pounds), I have stalled. My scale at home has only moved .5 pounds in 2 weeks. I am feeling so discouraged. Inches have slowed too. I have added walking every other day. TOM is completely messed up, used to be like a clock--last month 5 days early, this month 5 days late and still waiting! PMS is OOC, and I need some help!
FatnFunky, First, stop stressing. I think I slow my weight loss when I start overchecking and worrying about my losses. Let it happen as it happens. My TOM was messed up too the first month...badly, but things seem to be back on track the 2nd month. Estrogen is stored in your fat which is why TOM is getting screwed up. Hang in there and don't give up. Give it another week or two and be sure to discuss with your coach. They often have ideas on what is causing or what might boost you out of the lulls. Good luck and you are doing great. Don't let 2 slow weeks upset you...persevere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal88 View Post
After being stalled, I finally dropped 1 1/4 pounds overnight and am now down 20 pounds! YAY!

When I first started this program I couldn't even visualize myself having a waist or thin legs, it had been so long. Now I can imagine it, which is delightful, and seeing it starting to happen in the mirror, is even better.

Today I put on a blouse that I bought a few years ago - it was kind of aspirational even then, because the sleeves were tight. So I never wore it, since my arms looked terrible in it. Today, it's loose around the arms. (The arms still need some shape but I'll take the progress!)
Crystal88, Congrats on 20 lbs!!! I totally understand the arm thing. Mine are in a major jiggle phase at the moment but I'm trying to ignore it and look at the big losses everywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
tbf410[/B];3492471]I'm still pretty new to the IP diet. I'm in week 3. But today I had a moment that makes all the salad and vegetables worth it. While I've only lost 8.5 lbs I'm sure the inches are coming off faster as I have baggy butt syndrome in all of my pants. Today I opened up my jeans drawer and pulled out that pair of "someday I'll fit into them" jeans. THEY FIT!!! Not only did they fit they were a bit loose. I have never been happier. It's the motivation I needed when I was starting to feel down about this diet. For those of you that have been doing this for a while, you know what I mean. So thanks 3FC for being there for me in the good times and bad!
tbf410, I had this same moment/revelation last week. It is an awesome feeling, isn't it? Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
On a related note, I find myself wondering if Carla or anyone else has access to a revised Phase 1 sheet that could be posted.
salesgod, Here is a link to the post with it http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3054810-post7.html I can scan my official IP copy and send it to you if you'd prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Jayne View Post
THANKS ! for your quick reply......Would this be for 'diet' soda as well?
Emma Jayne, The phosphates in soda prevent your body from absorbing calcium which is already strained while on IP which is why you have to take the calcium supplements. It also contains other chemicals that can eat away at your stomach and intestines causing stomach and intestinal irritation (and now that you are not ingesting all the fatty and carb-filled foods to buffer this some, you may feel the effects of what they are really doing to your body 10fold).
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #40  

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciebelle View Post
Good Morning All!

1. I tried linking several quotes so I could respond to individuals, and I did look at the sticky about it. I got the part about hitting the multiple links but when I go to do my post I cannot find the button to press to make them show up in my post.

2. Yesterday I mentioned that my coach said celery and cukes are unlimited and someone commented that they are...I think that is what she said..so are they or aren't they.

3.Rhubarb? Is it allowed as a non restricted? I am only in week two. I keep hearing people talk about it but not sure where it fits in.

4.Thank you all for your answers and encouragement and sending out encouragement to you all today and hugs to those who need it today. I appreciate you all. Coming here helps so much and if I am tempted to cheat I come here and read some posts and think about what I would be giving up if I did cheat.

Blessings,
Ciebelle

Hi there Ciebelle! According to the paperwork I was provided from my coach, cucumbers and celery and ok as well as rhubarb (if I'm not mistaken - I will check my paperwork tonight to make sure and let you know). I know that some people have added artificial sweetener to the rhubarb when they've prepared it. I also know that there are some clinics that alter the protocol and remove some item from the list of "okay foods". Make sure that you check with YOUR coach on what he/she permits. I have eaten cukes and celery almost every day since day one and I continue to lose.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #41  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciebelle View Post
Good Morning All!

Blessings,
Ciebelle
I have never heard of celery or cucumbers being unlimited. I know they are of very little impact to the diet in terms of calories, good in fiber and water content. They are still listed along with all other normal "unrestricted" veggies but that doesn't mean you can have an unlimited volume/quantity of them in a day.

Rhubarb is not a restricted veggie. It is unrestricted HOWEVER, test how it works for your body. Some people find it can be too many carbs if used often enough in large quantities.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #42  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

So I have definitely had a better week this week. I have had the occasional weak moment where I had a handful of cheetos but they have been few and far between and I made sure I made up for it later.

I'm pretty excited because I think my mom is going to join IP and since I am going to start Phase 1 for a few weeks I will be able to be her accountability partner.

Its a daily choice! I am committed to getting up in the morning and choosing life. If I have a little slip up, I don't decide to throw myself under the bus completely. I start over immediately, not days later after I have gained weight. Its an interesting journey to be on, and I'm glad I have you guys for support.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbf410 View Post
I'm still pretty new to the IP diet. I'm in week 3. But today I had a moment that makes all the salad and vegetables worth it. While I've only lost 8.5 lbs I'm sure the inches are coming off faster as I have baggy butt syndrome in all of my pants. Today I opened up my jeans drawer and pulled out that pair of "someday I'll fit into them" jeans. THEY FIT!!! Not only did they fit they were a bit loose. I have never been happier. It's the motivation I needed when I was starting to feel down about this diet. For those of you that have been doing this for a while, you know what I mean. So thanks 3FC for being there for me in the good times and bad!
Congratulations! That's a great milestone!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 260.5/253/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmln3x View Post
Mornin' everyone. Today is my first official WI... wish me luck... I'm off to see the wizard.
Best of luck at your weigh-in!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 260.5/253/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
FatNFunky
So I think by my calculations you have averaged -4.67 week, total down 14.5/4 weeks???? whooop whhoopppp..... that is fantastic. A true plateau is no movement for 30 days, yes your body will adjust at certain times but if you a following the program it is working do not get discouraged, dont base your journey on others results. Are you going to the bathroom? Water, salt, oil, veggies..... what has changed since the first 2 weeks, it can be something as simple as sugar free gum or mints that can have a negative affect, really look at your journal, weigh and measure everything and write down everything. My motto is dont fail the program it wont fail you, it is tried, tested and true. PS I love your name but soon you will have to change your name to ThinNFunky
This is very helpful info about the plateaus - thank you!
Closed Thread