Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #76  

Default just noticed something odd

I just noticed something today. It seems as if I'm not hungry one day and the next I am, lather, rinse and repeat. I wonder what drives that. The meals I have aren't that different one day to the next. Certainly my breakfast and lunch have been exactly the same. I have read that the amount of sleep you get can affect appetite and weight.

A quick web search on "lack of sleep and weight" turned up interesting articles on the role of two hormones, leptin and ghrelin. FYI: one is from the NY Times, April 26, 2010. My simplistic understanding: Leptin is made in my fat cells and signals the brain when I feel full. Ghrelin, made in the gut, stimulates appetite. Lack of sleep decreases leptin and increases ghrelin which means I feel less full and want to eat more. Guess I better post this and go get some beauty sleep!

from below
Quote:
Originally Posted by kju View Post
I too find the cereal blech - and I tried the Splenda and cinnamon trick - no go.

Can't wait til next week when I get to try some restricted food...
Early on in my IP adventure, one of my friends on IP gave me a tip for he cereal: Use a spicy herbal tea, chilled instead of the water. She gave me one of her faves, Classic India Spice tea by Yogi teas. I tried it and loved what it did for the cereal. To my tastebuds the cereal resembled a sweetened cinnamon-y cereal that I used to wolf down several bowlfuls at a time. I liked it so much I bought a box of the tea! There used to be a Celestial Seasonings tea called Mandarin Orange Spice that had a lot of cloves flavor. That might be worth trying.

Just a note, my first opinion of the cereal was exactly the same as yours "blech!" Just this week I ran out of the tea and had the cereal plain. I was shocked to discover that I found it sweet and enjoyable. You just never know. Good luck!

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 09-17-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #77  
kju

S/C/G: 192/182/150

Height: 5'6"

I too find the cereal blech - and I tried the Splenda and cinnamon trick - no go.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #78  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanok View Post
Hey I have a question for you all. There were a few of you talking about making soup. How do you measure the exact meat and veggies that you should eat? ie 5oz and 2 cups of veggies. Do you make it is single servings or double it and maybe get more in one day and less the next.
Re:measuring. See my post to CC below and measuring, and use this website. It's foolproof. (That's a reference to me, not you.) http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 241/190/125

Height: 5'1 ... started IP 08/13/10

HI all!

Plain cereal -- super gross!! I so do NOT like it! On a bright note, I tried 1/2 vanilla pudding 1/2 orange drink today and it was dreamy!!!

COngrats calebsgramma on the size 14's! I ll be doing that happy dance in the dressing room too one day soon!

To everyone else, have a great weekend, and happy IP!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 197/153/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! A small NSV here I was going through my closet and I can now wear some of the size 12 jeans that I bought last year when I thought I was going to lose this weight! I guess I'm a positive thinker...it just took my a while to find IP and do this! Down 23 lbs. and feeling so GREAT!!!!
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #81  

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
I just noticed something today. It seems as if I'm not hungry one day and the next I am, lather, rinse and repeat. I wonder what drives that. The meals I have aren't that different one day to the next. Certainly my breakfast and lunch have been exactly the same. I have read that the amount of sleep you get can affect appetite and weight.

A quick web search on "lack of sleep and weight" turned up interesting articles on the role of two hormones, leptin and ghrelin. FYI: one is from the NY Times, April 26, 2010. My simplistic understanding: Leptin is made in my fat cells and signals the brain when I feel full. Ghrelin, made in the gut, stimulates appetite. Lack of sleep decreases leptin and increases ghrelin which means I feel less full and want to eat more. Guess I better post this and go get some beauty sleep!
I believe this wholeheartedly... both Tue. & Wed. nights, I woke up about 4:00 a.m. & couldn't go back to sleep... so, I was tired all day Wed. & Thur., but in addition, I was hungry!.. couldn't stop looking in the fridge & the pantry... I was able to keep from eating anything extra, but I sure wanted something... this was something new for me since starting IP, so I couldn't figure out what was the deal... now I know why I was hungry, just wish I could keep from losing sleep...

Thanks for the post...

hugs
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #82  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Fascinating. I experience the same thing (esp. after the last 2 short nights of sleep. Thanks for sharing what you found. It makes sense now.

PS. Thanks for doing such a great job organizing/moderating on the forum. You are truly appreciated for your time and effort.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #83  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaKate View Post
Should i be monitoring ketosis stuff? I don't know much about it. There's so much talk about getting strips etc. i'm wondering if thats something i should be doing.
I wouldn't waste the money. It's probably better to train your head to recognize ketosis than to rely on the strips AND, if you're drinking lots and lots of water, they probably won't even record anything. AND if I hear you complain about losing 16 pounds in 17 days ever again, I'm going to walk across the Pacific Ocean and snatch it from you. (Sorry, Novak, you can have your job back now. It's just that I spent hours yesterday re-reading the After Phase 1 sites, and you're wonderful, wonderful posts. I guess something rubbed off, in a BIG way.)

Last edited by Linden; 09-18-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
www.waldenfarms.com/wwja/

Buy one, get one through November. About 3.39 each, shipped, when you get 10
Thanks so much for the heads up! I just placed my order. Great price at $3.39 with freight.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #85  

Default Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
... AND if I hear you complain about losing 16 pounds in 17 days ever again, I'm going to walk across the Pacific Ocean and snatch it from you.
Walking on water and bodysnatching! When Linden's determined, watch out!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #86  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
He can taste all the 'forbidden fruits'..
Speaking of which, and I'm just asking because I'm curious, could someone please tell me how in the world I can have a fruit fly battering it's brains against my screen when there hasn't been a single fruit in this house for over 3 months?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #87  
kju

S/C/G: 192/182/150

I will have to try that I'm Svelting - thanks!

Just getting ready for the football game - no snacks but should be a good game!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #88  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
I've had a geat day today: Went shopping because my coworker (who waged her own battle of the bulge 7 years ago and looks great) told me that I needed to get some new pants because I had "baggy ***." Woo hoo! Went to Kohls, and slipped on (easily!) a pair of 14s. I was in 18s. Never again. I'm sure the other women in the dressing room wondered what was going on when I gasped and then started doing a happy dance!
That was me yesterday! I went to Kohl's because my 14s were getting too big (I started in a 16) and I am officially in size 12s! Every pair of pants I tried on fit, so I bought them all. I'm thinking a couple of them will probably go back, depending on how they fit a couple of weeks from now.

But darn, that was a great feeling -- that every pair fit and I looked great in them.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #89  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Speaking of which, and I'm just asking because I'm curious, could someone please tell me how in the world I can have a fruit fly battering it's brains against my screen when there hasn't been a single fruit in this house for over 3 months?
Well from here in the Toronto area, I can tell you without a doubt that that particular fruit fly doesn't have the brains that Chronos gave fruit flies.

Aunt Sheshie, EatAnts and kju It's kind of good news and bad news isn't it. It might explain some things -- good news. Yet another thing to track -- bad news, maybe.

Now I really need to turn off this PC and get to bed!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoangel View Post
It's a great IP day!!!!! I am so happy to report that I LOVE this LIFESTYLE! I was nervous about heading to the UW/Boise State football game....but, I CAN DO IT! I packed my food, with some restricted.....haven't let myself have them yet, but these are going to keep me from cheating! So excited! Down 17 lbs! This is sooooo awesome!
You will do great...Go Boise St.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju View Post

The cereal needs REALLY cold water. Also, your tasebuds change on the diet dramatically. Things you don't like now you will like later. I hated the chocolate pudding at first, but now its my favorite. Didn't like cereal at first, but now its one of my favs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylew View Post
That was me yesterday! I went to Kohl's because my 14s were getting too big (I started in a 16) and I am officially in size 12s! Every pair of pants I tried on fit, so I bought them all. I'm thinking a couple of them will probably go back, depending on how they fit a couple of weeks from now.

But darn, that was a great feeling -- that every pair fit and I looked great in them.
Careful, don't buy too many clothes, they'll be too BIG soon! Congrats!!

All, just got back from Minneapolis a little bit ago. Whew. First, planning was great, everything worked out perfectly -- had enough veggies, etc. They even had a crudite tray at the meeting! I will say, the servers to a person were a little 'irritated' with my requests. It was so bad at one place, that my co-workers were like, whoa, its like she's pissed you asked for something else. And here I thought everyone in the Midwest was so nice!
Closed Thread