3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Skeptical? read this (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212460-skeptical-read.html)

Judon 09-15-2010 05:33 AM

Skeptical? read this

I'm two weeks new to the IPD and had misgivings when I started but nothing else has worked. I eat healthy and have tremendous will power - all to no avail.

I started IPD because I had seen my friend drop 40 pounds in 6 weeks and decided if she could I could!

I have been on prednisone for 2.5 years (2 mg/day) and synthroid for 10 yrs. so I still needed my MD's support. (New doctor for me.)

One week into the diet I had an appointment for him to go over bloodwork and I said I need to tell you something...I started to tell him about the IDP diet and he got all excited, said "It is cutting edge medicine." He believes we could never get the concentrated amount of protein needed to burn fat from our food. That if everyone who was obese followed a similar protocol we could cut the medical costs in our country by 3/4's. He then told me he runs a similar program through the practice he's in, Medifast, but encouraged me to stay where I am and see it through.

He said he'd support me in any way I needed through the process - then I told him I had stopped my prednisone - low dose no harm he replied.

So in 2 weeks I have gone from being ravenous all the time to being rarely hungry, and am lowering my thyroid med slowly but surely.

Today is my 2nd WI - it doesn't really matter how much I've lost, I feel great.

Thanks to all on the forum who have helped with so much information and encouragement.

Judy

paygirl 09-15-2010 07:25 AM

Yeah for you! Although IP is really great YOU decided to give it a whirl. So I say again....YEAH FOR YOU!

Linden 09-15-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judon (Post 3481231)

Thanks to all on the forum who have helped with so much information and encouragement.

Judy

YES!Please keep posting. Many of us have been in similar positions. But not necessarily with the backup support. :hug::hug::hug:

Journeysend 09-15-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judon (Post 3481231)
I'm two weeks new to the IPD and had misgivings when I started but nothing else has worked. I eat healthy and have tremendous will power - all to no avail.

Today is my 2nd WI - it doesn't really matter how much I've lost, I feel great.

Judy

Judy That is so awesome!!! It is nice to hear that a Dr. would be so supportive of IP and especially for you. Please keep us posted. I also feel sooo much better on the plan, IP is wonderful. Have a great day :hug::hug:

LBM 09-15-2010 11:49 AM

Hmm. From my reading, severe low carb/high protein diets damage the kidneys when followed for a long time. Be careful. I'm on a modified version, down 12lb in under 3 weeks. I just discovered I am allergic to whey as well. Which is what the diet is based on.

salesgod 09-15-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBM (Post 3481641)
Hmm. From my reading, severe low carb/high protein diets damage the kidneys when followed for a long time. Be careful. I'm on a modified version, down 12lb in under 3 weeks. I just discovered I am allergic to whey as well. Which is what the diet is based on.

Yes! You're absolutely right! High protein/low carb diets are bad. I'm going to go back to my high carb, high fat, high sodium diet. It wasn't dangerous at all... :halfempty

Wait a second! Before I do that, maybe I better consider that:

Proteins (and ketosis) are not hard on the kidneys. In fact, ketones are the primary fuel of the kidneys (as well as the heart, liver and skeletal muscles). Most of the nitrogen from the protein is converted to urea in the liver and excreted by the kidneys, and the carbons are oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. The amino acids in the protein are, of course, utilized by the body. In fact, in most cases they're converted to glucose that is utilized in the digestion of the protein itself, having almost no effect on blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrates, not protein, are hard on the kidneys. High blood glucose levels place excessive stress on the kidneys. That is why diabetes is the single greatest cause of kidney failure in the U.S.

Just sayin'...

WannabeIP 09-15-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salesgod (Post 3482223)
Yes! You're absolutely right! High protein/low carb diets are bad. I'm going to go back to my high carb, high fat, high sodium diet. It wasn't dangerous at all... :halfempty

Proteins (and ketosis) are not hard on the kidneys. In fact, ketones are the primary fuel of the kidneys (as well as the heart, liver and skeletal muscles). Most of the nitrogen from the protein is converted to urea in the liver and excreted by the kidneys, and the carbons are oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. The amino acids in the protein are, of course, utilized by the body. In fact, in most cases they're converted to glucose that is utilized in the digestion of the protein itself, having almost no effect on blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrates, not protein, are hard on the kidneys. High blood glucose levels place excessive stress on the kidneys. That is why diabetes is the single greatest cause of kidney failure in the U.S.

Just sayin'...

I am gonna make this into a bumper sticker :p ..... geez Dave, you would think you have heard alot of nay sayers...... :D

I also had a complete physical after being on the program for 4 months, all my blood, lipids, electrolytes and what ever else they looked at was perfect.... I am sure far better than when I was 70 pounds overweight.....just saying:)

Kristin135 09-15-2010 06:01 PM

Judy..I'm so glad your DR. is supportive of this program. That makes it easier knowing you have his support. IP is a great program.

Great post Dave. If more people would just realize that this type of program is so much healthier than the alternative high carb low fat plan. I was a WW junkie for years and never lost the weight, my cholesterol and other values remained high on a low fat high carb diet. After 2 months on IP my cholesterol has gone down over 70 points.

loves2swim 09-15-2010 06:21 PM

Hey, Judy.

I ran the IP diet by my endocrinologist (thyroid doc) as well as my oncologist. The oncologist looked through everything and all my supplements (none of which interfere with my cancer med) and said, "Go for it!" My endocrinologist was already familiar with IP and said, "I wish everyone who is overweight could afford to go on this diet." Those were two resounding endorsements from my docs whom I very much respect. When I hear from the naysayers I tell them I'm listening to my doctors' opinions...not yours. BTW, my blood pressure returned to normal after only 2 weeks on IP. I think this diet is a miracle. Love that my voracious appetite has gone bye-bye.

Wishing you much success!

biggirl86 09-15-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Just sayin'...

This answer is very very helpful as well as smart Dave, Thanx

Traveling Stitcher 09-15-2010 08:52 PM

And just to add to Salesgod's excellent physiology lesson--IP is NOT a high protein diet....it is a very low carb and low fat, moderate protein diet. My diabetes educator said the proteins are of the very highest quality and are very bioavailable. I have worked with a doctor for years who talked about these principles, and especially the importance of high-quality protein while dieting. :)

Judon 09-16-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Just sayin'...

Thanks Dave - I thought I'd pass LBM's post by - you answered beautifully. I'm copying your reply into my info folder for reference.

The 'ketosis is bad for you' thinking is left over from the 60's whipped cream and bacon diet where you went into ketosis but ate all the fat you wanted, ala earlier Atkins! My older sister tried to lose weight for her junior prom on that and almost missed the dance.

Having to lose weight (and most importantly learn how to eat to maintain the weight loss) is somewhat new for me. I started gaining about 10 years ago and then put on another 45 pounds when I went on prednisone 2 1/2 years ago. I was beginning to feel like life as I knew it, energetic, engaged and enthusiastic, was over. I was becoming a recluse!

So the IPD came to me serendipitously and I believe as an answer to my prayers!

Thanks all for your kind words and encouragement.

Judy

LBM 09-16-2010 10:43 AM

Well I feel like I just got lynched.

salesgod 09-16-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBM (Post 3483122)
Well I feel like I just got lynched.

It's not a lynching. Your post is simply based on information that, while widely dispersed and commonly quoted, is either inaccurate or out of date.

As has been pointed out, IP is not a "high protein" diet. In fact, on IP you consume your "ideal" amount of protein -- not additional protein and additional fat. Our bodies, by design, need and can, therefore, easily process (without issue or damage) the amount of protein consumed on IP. We're not replacing carbs with added protein. We're eliminating carbs and maintaining protein.

You're correct that many of the IP packets are based on whey protein, but this is not the case with all of them. Those who can't tolerate whey protein can still be very successful on IP.

Keep in mind that the human body is very adaptable and is capable of digesting what is taken in. There are long term issues with consuming excess sugars and carbs, as well as excess fat and saturated fats that are far more dangerous than a short term, unbalanced diet can ever be. And digesting protein is not as much of a concern on IP as what goes missing when dairy, fats and complex carbs are eliminated, as well as what needs to be added to aid in the elimination of waste created from using up fat stores.

Fortunately, the IP protocol addresses all of these issues.

showgirlaz 09-16-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBM (Post 3481641)

Agreed. Low carb/HIGH protein diets are bad for you. That is the agreed on position by the doctor who designed this diet. THAT IS WHY...

IDEAL PROTEIN IS NOT HIGH PROTEIN :) Isn't that GREAT! :) Ideal protein is a low carb, low fat, moderate protein, controlled calorie diet.

It is specifically balanced and designed to avoid and prevent, as much as possible, the kidney issues many high protein dieters experience. Unfortunately, even those on low protein diets can get kidney issues so, it is not entirely avoidable.

This diet by the way in NOT whey based. It is based on 5, yes five, separate proteins because the doctor realized that there are many allergies out there that people experience. This diet may actually lean about equally on whey and soy.