Old 09-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273.8/247.5/199

Height: 5'5"

Question Hypothyroidism and IP

Hello Fellow IPers,
I was just wondering if any IPers out there have hypothyroidism? If so, how successful have you been on the program? How long you have been on the program? What has been your average weight loss? Has anyone made it to any other phases?
I would appreciate any information you could provide. I am into my second week on IP. Week 1 I lost 6.6 lbs - I have never lost 6 lbs in one month so I am very happy I am hoping I have finally found the answer I been looking for.
I love this site!!
nursemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemel View Post
Hello Fellow IPers,
I was just wondering if any IPers out there have hypothyroidism? If so, how successful have you been on the program? How long you have been on the program? What has been your average weight loss? Has anyone made it to any other phases?
I would appreciate any information you could provide. I am into my second week on IP. Week 1 I lost 6.6 lbs - I have never lost 6 lbs in one month so I am very happy I am hoping I have finally found the answer I been looking for.
Mel, a fair number of posters have been diagnosed with hypothyroid conditions. Here is a thread to check:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...hyroidism.html

I thought there was at least one other one. I couldn't see it in the top 70 search results. I think I consolidated a number of links to other posts in that thread. A fair number of the people who posted in that thread are still around; they read and post in the chat thread so you might catch them and some answers there as well.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 09-13-2010 at 07:58 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #3  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I just got off the phone with my doctor to review my thyroid results. I told her that I had also lost some weight. She asked how much some was and when I said 55 pounds she was quite animated about how great that was and pointed out to me that 55 pounds is more than "some". She had not heard of IP, so I gave her the brief synopsis and left it at that.

As for the thyroid numbers they were better than they have been in 5 years. She's going to email me the actual numbers but she was very pleased. We chatted a little about whether it might be possible to go off thyroid if I continued to lose weight. She explained to me that normally the people that are able to go off thyroid are those that have thyroid issue that develop as the result of adrenal fatigue (I had my thyroid issue before the adrenal fatigue) and those that have very high antibodies which are indicative of how the thyroid is functioning. Those can change with some circumstances, but from her experience most people's antibody numbers don't change a great deal. For me, the antibody numbers are the only thing that still seem a little lower than we'd like.

Her recommendation was to keep my current dose of compounded t3 and they synthroid for t4, along with the selenium and iodine supplements I'm taking and add some Vitamin D drops and I probably don't need to worry about retesting for 6 months which hopefully by then, I'll have a local doctor. (Very long story) I know our multi-vitamins have some Vitamin D but it's a pretty low dose and since I live in a state that will be crazy cold and keep me out of those little doses of sunlight we get in the winter that seems like a good idea anyway.

I'm happy to be clear that the fact that I'm a little low in energy is more related to my diet and the fact I had a broken foot for 12 weeks than my thyroid going wacko because of the diet. I think my energy will come back up now that I'm out of the boot cast.

She ended our conversation by saying keep up the good work. Duh!
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #4  
Started IP 07/22/2010

S/C/G: 257.4/205.8/175

Height: 5'7"

Smile

Quote:
how successful have you been on the program? How long you have been on the program? What has been your average weight loss?
I had Grave's Disease and went through radioactive iodine in my early 20's, as a result I am hypo and take replacement meds. I have been on IP for eight weeks, my weigh in was today and I have lost a total of 40 lbs to date som my average loss is 5lbs per week. I tested my levels at -30 lbs, and my tests came back "normal". Although I am kind of in a different place, since I essentially no longer have a thyroid, this program is great and works! I have so much more energy and feel fabulouse, stick on plan and you'll do great!
Tminus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 166/139/140

Height: 5'6"

I have had hypothyroidism since the birth of my second child 3 years ago. I had never struggled so hard to lose weight! I felt like it was hopeless. But on this diet, the thyroid problems seemed like a non issue. I have only been on the program for 8 and a half weeks and met my goal for a loss of 27 lbs. During my first 5 weeks I lost 20lbs, which I never dreamed possible with my struggles on other weight loss programs. Prior, a loss of 3 lbs a month was a big deal. I haven't had my thyroid numbers checked since being on this program, but I'm excited to.

My "alternative med" doc who got me started on this program said sometimes the TSH numbers can be high as a result of liver issues (Conversion of the t3/t4) and the liver can be not functioning it's best because of insulin saturation. He actually suggested this diet to me because I mentioned my high TSH numbers to him. He thought the pancreas "reboot" could help my liver and maybe help the numbers to go down.

KelleyAnn
KelleyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyAnn View Post
I have had hypothyroidism since the birth of my second child 3 years ago. I had never struggled so hard to lose weight! I felt like it was hopeless. But on this diet, the thyroid problems seemed like a non issue. I have only been on the program for 8 and a half weeks and met my goal for a loss of 27 lbs. During my first 5 weeks I lost 20lbs, which I never dreamed possible with my struggles on other weight loss programs. Prior, a loss of 3 lbs a month was a big deal. I haven't had my thyroid numbers checked since being on this program, but I'm excited to.

My "alternative med" doc who got me started on this program said sometimes the TSH numbers can be high as a result of liver issues (Conversion of the t3/t4) and the liver can be not functioning it's best because of insulin saturation. He actually suggested this diet to me because I mentioned my high TSH numbers to him. He thought the pancreas "reboot" could help my liver and maybe help the numbers to go down.

KelleyAnn
Kelly,
Your response is sooo encouraging. As you are well aware, trying to lose weight with hypothyroidism is hard. Prior to staring IP, I ate healthy, worked out 3-4x/wk and would still gain weight. When I would see my doc, she couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight. My "numbers" were always good. It was very frustrating to say the least. So when I research the IP program, I thought it was too good to be true. I have been on the program for only two weeks and I have already lost 9 lbs!! Some days are hard as I am still navigating the program, but at last I feel encouraged. The support found on this site is amazing.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #7  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
have been on the program for only two weeks and I have already lost 9 lbs!! Some days are hard as I am still navigating the program, but at last I feel encouraged. The support found on this site is amazing.
Good for you. I hope you've read all the stuff about hypothyroidism and soy, and taking calcium within 6 hours of taking you medicine??

Last edited by Linden; 09-19-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #8  

Thanks Linden for the info. I checked w/my doc and I space my Synthroid and calcium at least 4 hours apart.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Thumbs up Encouraged by this forum. I have done the research and am ready

I have been reading this forum for a while. My gyno's office posted info for an IP seminar.

I had my thyroid removed last week.

I figure now's as good a time as any, especially since I have a few drs checking in on me ( or me with them)

Looking forward to sharing in your successes.
Diane
in4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4life View Post
I have been reading this forum for a while. My gyno's office posted info for an IP seminar.

I figure now's as good a time as any, especially since I have a few drs checking in on me ( or me with them)

Diane
Good thinking. But please do work closely with them, especially if you get really tired, not just a little tired.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #11  

Hi Guys

I am new to IP, this is my 7th week and I have had not much success on this diet so far, I have hypothyroidism and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Is this the cause. If there are other people with the same problem and are having good results, please tell me what I can do different.
mahreen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #12  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahreen86 View Post
Hi Guys

I am new to IP, this is my 7th week and I have had not much success on this diet so far, I have hypothyroidism and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Is this the cause. If there are other people with the same problem and are having good results, please tell me what I can do different.
We have quiet a few of us that are hypo and some that have PCOS. I, myself, is hypo and have had wonderful success on IP. Can you share what you are eating in a day with us to see maybe if you are missing something so we can give you suggestions? How much do you want to lose?
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

I have Graves Disease and had my entire thyroid surgically removed about 4.5 years ago. I had great success on the diet the 6 weeks I was on it, losing almost 30 lbs. I'm now waiting to get my shipment of products and am excited to start losing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tminus80 View Post
I had Grave's Disease and went through radioactive iodine in my early 20's, as a result I am hypo and take replacement meds. I have been on IP for eight weeks, my weigh in was today and I have lost a total of 40 lbs to date som my average loss is 5lbs per week. I tested my levels at -30 lbs, and my tests came back "normal". Although I am kind of in a different place, since I essentially no longer have a thyroid, this program is great and works! I have so much more energy and feel fabulouse, stick on plan and you'll do great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4life View Post

Diane
Wow, it's interesting to see how many people have had their thyroid removed or ablated here. Usually when people find out (I have a very thin, light scar) they're surprised because they don't think you can live without one. WTG Tminus on your losses and in4life good luck getting started on the program!! It has done wonders for me, and is so simple I can't believe it.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 276/270/185

Height: 5'8''

I am hypo, too. I have been on IP for 7 weeks and have lost 23lbs (officially, but I WI today so it's actually more). I take my thyroid medicine in the morning and my calcium in the evenings. I have soooo much energy on this plan it is unbelievable!! I had blood work done when I was in week 4 and my numbers came back normal so I guess everything is ok. I feel fine and do not have any thyroid-related issues.
Best of luck to you!!
rbtemplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #15  

I heard about IP through my mom's friend, so I am actually not registered through this program.
I read the EAS Advanedge protein shakes available in stores are a good substitute for IP foods and drink.

I can not afford IP right now, it is just not affordable in my budget.

So what I have been doing is substituting IP foods for the EAS shakes.

This is what I eat everyday
Breakfast
- 1 EAS shake

Lunch
-1 EAS shake
- 2 cups salad

Dinner
- 1 EAS shake
-2 cups salad
- a protein (either, chicken, fish, or beef)
mahreen86 is offline   Reply With Quote