Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
Okay, here's my advice:

If your coach says something that doesn't make any sense, just look at them and reply, "Hey! There's a ferret sitting on top of your head!" when they look back at you with a puzzled expression, you can say, "You just told me something completely illogical, and I felt obligated to respond in like fashion. Isn't this great? I think we're really connecting here!"

Bwahahahahahah!!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #62  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchamp View Post
I'm terrified. I never thought I would feel these emotions. I broke through my 200lb mind block last week and I weigh in today. I hope I lose another pound, but I'm scared that I will fail. So frustrating and illogical. I haven't weighed this in ten years, I shoudl be excited.

I also pulled out a pair of "goal" jeans last night. I couldn't zip them last month and last night I was able to with just the slightest muffin top. I could easily wear them in public. Muffin top is so small, but I don't want any when I decided to finally wear them.

Then crazy thing is after almost 40lbs lost I hadn't gone down an size (I'm tall). All my petite friends are dropping sizes like crazy. I got used to saying, "No, I still haven't dropped a size." And now here I am so close to actually doing so. Logic says they will be very excited for me and I should be excited for myself. My brain says, "don't tell anyone because you're a fake." Whatever brain! No one can fake fitting into a smaller size. You just can't put 20lbs of potatoes in a 10lb sack. I'm not faking.

So weird. I just don't know what to do with myself. I guess I will just weigh in and move on. In the long run I don't want to be a thin person that still sees a fat person. I want to love my body.

There, I'm done and now I can breath. Thanks for reading.
Okay, I've been silly all day. It's time to be serious for a minute.

I've lost over 100 pounds since I've been on IP (I started in April). There are times when I've felt like I wasn't losing, or didn't notice a change in inches, or whatever. But when you're not carrying around an extra 100 lbs., people notice. Everyone around me notices. One of the guys I work with was skeptical at first when I started IP. Now he's said, more than once, that the difference is "night and day." When I run into neighbors and friends, they all say the same thing: "You've lost a lot (a ton, a bunch) of weight. How?"

I don't always feel it, but the change is there in little ways. I can shop in regular stores now, instead of heading into the Big & Tall and feeling like a fat a**. The steering wheel in my Mom's car doesn't rest on my legs anymore (because my legs are smaller). When I look in the mirror, my face looks different, and my body does too. When I'm out in public, people don't look at me the same way they used to. I'm still overweight (I have 55-60 lbs. left to lose), but I'm not the morbidly overweight guy I used to be. My feet don't hurt from carrying 2.5 bags of softener salt around with me every minute of every hour of every day.

We talk a lot about NSVs and not slipping, not cheating, avoiding temptations on this site. We talk about what's allowed and what's not allowed. But we also talk about how IP works, better than any other diet.

But there's something more. As some of you know, I'm not currently on the protocol at the moment (I'm taking a Dr. directed hiatus for a few days due to some social events that would make following the protocol difficult and somewhat rude). It's been said before, but I'll say from my recent experience that I wonder why in the **** I ever ate some of the stuff I ate before. It's nasty. It lacks flavor. It makes me feel sick. And I feel genuinely tired for the first time in months. I used to hate salad. After a couple of days off of IP, it's one of the only things that really sounds good to me right now.

My point is this. I know how to get fat. I've been successful at that for many years. It's not difficult. It's quick and easy and happens one french fry and one double cheeseburger at a time. But I've also learned how to lose fat. And it happens one salad at a time, with the added benefit of finding healthier, more creative ways to eat. If someone had suggested I try shiritaki noodles a year ago, I would have mocked them. Same goes for WF dressings and syrups. Guys don't eat that crap. Guys eat raw meat and scratch themselves in public. It's what we do.

But I'm a guy who's become accustomed to getting what I want in life. I have a successful career built on years of skillful experience. I pursue things in life that make me curious. I'm constantly trying to master new things, and become better at everything I do. So why should losing weight be any different?

When it comes to managing the protocol and the cheats (and I know it's off the topic of what you posted), I am NOT tempted to be an unhealthy fat a** ever again. I don't like that guy. That's not the guy I want to see in the mirror. I don't want to be the guy that people stare at, or the guy who is out of breath after climbing a few stairs. I'm more afraid of being that guy again than I am of what the scale is going to read this week or next week or the week after, because I've proved that IP works and works well.

It's really as simple as that. So when you say that you don't want to be a thin person who still sees a fat person, I can relate. I used to look in the mirror and wonder where that fat guy came from, because it surely wasn't who I really was. Now I look in the mirror and I can still see that fat guy, but I also see the guy I was so convinced was gone forever that I was ready to put his picture on milk cartons to see if someone could help him turn up.

I guess that stuff really works! Maybe I'll put a picture of a check for a million bucks on there and see what happens.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 148/111.5/115

Height: 5'4"

GREAT post, Dave. You're a true inspiration. I'm so glad you're here. Good luck on the next few days off and see you at the salad bar.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #64  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchamp View Post
I'm terrified. I never thought I would feel these emotions. I broke through my 200lb mind block last week and I weigh in today. I hope I lose another pound, but I'm scared that I will fail. So frustrating and illogical. I haven't weighed this in ten years, I shoudl be excited.
You are doing wonderful. I know how you are feeling though. My boyfriend and I are both doing IP together. In 5 weeks he's dropped over 30 lb. and the change is drastic. I on the other hand have only lost around 20 lb. Everyone sees the drastic change in him and constantly comments on it. When they notice it on me, I shrug it off b/c it isn't the drastic change he has. I'm wanting to fast-forward and be at my goal, but I need to focus on smaller goals and celebrate them. I got down to size 8 jeans this week (well, most of my old ones at least). I decided to set my next mini-goal to the weight I was before I started my current job (4 yr. here put 35+ lb. on me. I lost the first 15 working out and improving my eating habits and the last 20 lb through IP.) So in another 8 lb. I'm going to celebrate that and be happy. I know it takes awhile to reprogram our minds to be happy with every little bit of progress we make, but maybe focus on the small goals and treat yourself to a new something for yourself to celebrate. Find reasons to be happy with your changes. You are doing great and a great inspiration to us all.

PS. My mom is starting IP next week and she is hoping for weightloss similar to your own. Keep up the good work to encourage people like her that this works and will change your life.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #65  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Dave, you are a great inspiration and entertainment too. I enjoy your silliness and keeping the boards lively.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 149/123/110

Height: 4'11"

Wow, I love this thread! So inspirational! I was so thinking about quitting IP after a few (of what I consider) bad weeks of not much weight loss. I'm totally going to keep at it though and I'm going to try to post here regularly

Keep up the good work everyone!

- Paula
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 148/111.5/115

It never bothered me when I had a low weight loss week. I knew I was sticking to protocol and the diet was easy, that there was light at the end of the tunnel (thanks, Novak!) and the weight WOULD come off. And so it has. Check my weekly weight loss in my ticker. It's varied from fairly slow (1.4, couple of 1.6 pounds a week) to solid 3's. It averages out. This morning I am down another 3 pounds (though it's unusual for me to weigh myself between weigh-ins). Keep your eye on the prize and don't obsess about numbers. I can't imagine a diet more worth giving an extra chance to than this one.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #68  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Dave - your heartfelt and honest post was awesome. Hit home to me! I loved the humor too!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #69  

Salesgod not only are you witty (i like the chicken/ferret/2 c of veggies joke), you are very inspirational. That was a great post. Thanks for being so honest...you keep me motivated..
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy mom 72 View Post
I officially joined Ideal Protein today! Got all my food for the week. I am starting with the food on Monday because I'm going out of town this weekend and I want to start this program STRONG!

I am excited to read through and get advice from you all who have been on this new way of life.

Am 164 lbs now, want to get to 120 lbs. Here I go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
navy mom Welcome to the wonderful IP Eating Plan!!
You will do great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
hi all

I have been absent for a few weeks and with 8 days left until my wedding chances are another checkin may not happen.

Congrats to everyone on the losses, welcome newbies..hello to my fellow old posters..miss u all, I will be back and back on IP after the wedding.

keep it up everyone
sassykimann Welcome back and Congratulations on your up coming wedding|!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDWS View Post
On a down note I am somewhat discouraged....I believe I have only lost 2 lbs this week....for a total of 7lbs in two weeks!!! I am noticing 6lbs and 5 lbs weight losses per week losses. My gf lost 7 more lbs this week that makes her average 7lbs a week ...and she CHEATS almost everyday!!! I know "just focus on myself"..."at least I lost something"...Intellectually! I understand all that...but I wanted fast dramatic results..at least in the first three weeks!! I mean I could do WW and lose 2lbs a week! and not spend as much money! One more week....
OK end of vent...

On a more positive note:
I tried Beacon Light Steam Series...the tilapia....delish!!! Had 2 cups of spinach...very yummy!!!
Also took someone's advice and just try some items you might like them...I really liked the vanella pudding...would have never guessed! Liked the soy/garlic nuts too...never would have thought I would like them!!

Week Three starts Monday..this is it for me unless I am happy with results!

KDWS Just be careful you aren't eating too many restricted items. You could be very carb sensitive, I am and the 1st 3 months didn't have any restricted...so that is the way I am going again. Hang in there, you will have great WI's. BYT. does your coach measure you at every WI, sometimes when i didn't lose lbs. I lost inches!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Dave Great post...

BTW...are you still in for the 20 lbs by Hallowe'en Challenge? If so we need your starting weight!!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
I used to look in the mirror and wonder where that fat guy came from, because it surely wasn't who I really was.
Dave I can relate with that ! (although obviously I'm not a guy ) I knew it wasn't who I was - but others couldn't see past the weight.

Now when I look in the mirror I see me. Sure there is more of me to 'go' but I am feeling like my real self again.

Thanks for putting down the tootsie roll for a minute and being real - much appreciated !
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #73  
Began IP 8-18-10

S/C/G: 179.7/152.9/130

Height: 5'3'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDWS View Post
On a down note I am somewhat discouraged....I believe I have only lost 2 lbs this week....for a total of 7lbs in two weeks!!! I am noticing 6lbs and 5 lbs weight losses per week losses. My gf lost 7 more lbs this week that makes her average 7lbs a week ...and she CHEATS almost everyday!!! I know "just focus on myself"..."at least I lost something"...Intellectually! I understand all that...but I wanted fast dramatic results..at least in the first three weeks!! I mean I could do WW and lose 2lbs a week! and not spend as much money! One more week....
OK end of vent...

On a more positive note:
I tried Beacon Light Steam Series...the tilapia....delish!!! Had 2 cups of spinach...very yummy!!!
Also took someone's advice and just try some items you might like them...I really liked the vanella pudding...would have never guessed! Liked the soy/garlic nuts too...never would have thought I would like them!!

Week Three starts Monday..this is it for me unless I am happy with results!
I was initially disappointed with my weigh ins, but I have found the program to be working for me. I have lost 12.3 pounds in 3 weeks and feel awesome. I have only had 2 restricted items during the 3 weeks and that was due to heavy exercise days. Otherwise I stick to 3 packets per day that are not restricted. Don't give up, you may need to just make some adjustments!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Dave, Thanks for the super post. Hearing from those like yourself who are also doing this in a big way is really helpful. And the humour is a big booster too! Your posts and everyone's riffs on each others' posts have had me chuckling regularly as I've been reading through the dailies. So thanks to everyone for both the inspiration and the laughs.

I've been struggling with migraines most of this week, so the going's been a bit tough. When I have a headache I really crave carbs and I seem to be hungry all the time, and this has been going on since Saturday--very frustrating. Hearing everyone's successes is incredibly motivating to stay on program, so thank you everyone. We all have our own challenges, so it is so heartening to see all the achievements of Onederland, and big weight loss numbers--yay Kelsey and Dodomommy. The 700 lb cumulative loss for the August 20 lb challenge is AMAZING--a very clear indicator of how well this diet works. And I especially want to congratulate MotherduckMJ on breaking the 300 barrier--I still have a ways to get there but I'm following in your footsteps!

In early October I have several family events: 2 significant birthdays- 50 for me and 80 for Mom; and Canadian Thanksgiving too, all in the same week, which also means two 5 hour car trips with just me and my tape-deck (old car, but thank heavens for recorded books). It's been interesting to watch the shift in my thought processes around handling these events. I haven't gotten to the point that MDMJ did, with staying on program in spite of a major birthday, but things are shifting. I'm thinking of ways to stay in ketosis for as much of the week as possible, while still celebrating. I'll be discussing strategies with my coach as the date approaches. Thanks for the support all--this is so much easier because of this group!

Jackie
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #75  
Ideal Protein 5/20/14

S/C/G: 204/195/130

Any tips for staying on IP protocol when working nights. I am struggling with planning out my days when I sleep most of the day the work all night.

I also need advice on the caffeine front. I love diet coke but I know I need to give it up. I don't like coffee, but feel like I need caffeine to stay awake all night. Any suggestions that are IP friendly?

Thanks

Kristin
Closed Thread