Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #1  

Default Carb sensitive?

One of the ladies mentioned I may be carb sensitive? What does this mean? Is it relevant that my sister and her husband have done catkins...he lost weight she GAINED weight! She switched to WW and lost 60lbs!
KDWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #2  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

hmm..i have never heard 'carb sensitive' before. For myself I know I need to eat certian carbs - i have to stay away from pasta and rice and bread - it gives me a serioius high and I always wind up gorging on it if I eat it. But everyone needs good carbs in their diet, you may just need to eat a little less. Why did she say you may be carb sensitive?
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!!
It was I who posted about being "carb sensitive". By that I mean you can have UP TO--40 grams of carbs OR 30 grams of net carbs per day. If you are having too many restricted items that are higher in carbs they add up very quickly. I found that I just couldn't have the restricted items as they seemed to stall my weight lose. I found the best thing was to follow the Phase One protocol exactly..then I did great!!
Soy nuts are restricted!!

Note: carbs - dietary fibre = net carbs

Hope this helps
Journeysend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #4  

I am just not losing the weight I thought I would lose barely 8lbsin two weeks my gf has lost 15 and cheated everyday I have noticed 5 and 6 lbs averages just discouraged and someone mention ed I might be carb sensitive.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You're losing quite rapidly, and much more quickly than most people do. An average of 5 to 6 lbs a week is an amazing loss, especially if you're under 600 lbs. Most people of any starting weight do not acheive that. You really can't compare your loss to anyone's but your own, because people lose at such tremendously different rates depending on so many factors.

As for carb sensitivity, it isn't a medical term, it's an umbrella term used to describe symptoms/tendencies that include everything from insulin resistance, metabolic symdrome and diabetes (which are medical diagnoses), to people who notice that they lose better and are less hungry when they limit carbohydrates to some degree.

My doctor recommended a low-carb diet when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome and eventually diabetes, and even though I've learned that low-carb dieting works best for me, I did not do very well on Atkins, because I ate too much. Anyone can gain weight on Atkins if they eat too many calories (even the Atkins books mention portion control being important. You are not supposed to eat when not hungry or feel overstuffed after eating, and I did both).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #6  

Default Thanks

Our coach was very nonchalant about restricted foods! We only get packets...so I don't have the boxes to know the carb count..I keep meaning toreasearch but can't find time...will do today though! Thanks again for advice and encourage,net!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #7  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDWS View Post
I am just not losing the weight I thought I would lose barely 8lbsin two weeks my gf has lost 15 and cheated everyday I have noticed 5 and 6 lbs averages just discouraged and someone mention ed I might be carb sensitive.
Since you haven't posted any relevant information, such as height and weight, it's a little hard to predict what you might be likely to lose in two weeks. But in anybody's book averaging 4 pounds a week is remarkable. And please check the stickys for the breakdown of nutrients, etc. in each packet. There's no reason for you to duplicate work that has already been done. Check I'm Smelting's! post.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #8  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Since you haven't posted any relevant information, such as height and weight, it's a little hard to predict what you might be likely to lose in two weeks. But in anybody's book averaging 4 pounds a week is remarkable. And please check the stickys for the breakdown of nutrients, etc. in each packet. There's no reason for you to duplicate work that has already been done. Check I'm Smelting's! post.
Good advice, Linden... as usual!
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #9  

Quote:
Check I'm Smelting's! post.
Do we use Roberts Rules of Order around the 3FC IP forum? Regardless ...
Hey Linden I post on a point of personal privilege: There's typo in my name there. Smelting occurs in the spring around these parts. Svelting is a year round delight!
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #10  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Do we use Roberts Rules of Order around the 3FC IP forum? Regardless ...
Hey Linden I post on a point of personal privilege: There's typo in my name there. Smelting occurs in the spring around these parts. Svelting is a year round delight!
Hysterical. In Alaska, we called it the hooligan run, which is even more fun than smelt from a linguistics perspective... anyone (you know who I'm talking about) want to weigh in on the annual event along Turnagain Arm?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #11  

Default Smelt's a protein ...

so probably off topic for this thread. Ooops.

I'm outta here.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #12  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
so probably off topic for this thread. Ooops.

I'm outta here.
You hooligan, you...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #13  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Hysterical. In Alaska, we called it the hooligan run, which is even more fun than smelt from a linguistics perspective... anyone (you know who I'm talking about) want to weigh in on the annual event along Turnagain Arm?
I feel obliged to get on my high horse.

Obviously, you two didn't grow up in iron, steel, and coal country. I retract my compliment.

"Smelting allows a character to process raw ore into purer bars."

(And lord knows you're both characters.)

Last edited by Linden; 09-10-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #14  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
I feel obliged to get on my high horse.

Obviously, you two didn't grow up in iron, steel, and coal country. I retract my compliment.

"Smelting allows a character to process raw ore into purer bars."

(And lord knows you're both characters.)
Nope... goin' for the little silver fishies. Metal is so boring... can you eat it on a salad with two cups of veggies? I think not...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #15  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Nope... goin' for the little silver fishies. Metal is so boring... can you eat it on a salad with two cups of veggies? I think not...
But pure bars of what? That is the question. Chocolate, caramel covered hazelnuts with lavender?