Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #301  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCrewzer View Post
Thanks, Stacey! Yes, I can handle soy milk. I've never heard of goat's milk yogurt. I'm going to look for that. Thanks for the ideas. I'm so glad to hear that the big breakfast doesn't have to be forever, I love the thought of just a protein bar again! Although, I do like the IP chocolate drink every morning!
My sister gets the goat's milk yogurt at a health food store. I know it's a bit more expensive than regular yogurt, but, I would think it's worth it.

My experience has been that I don't need to continue with the big breakfast in maintenance. Everyone's different and you need to find what works for you. Normally I have a protein bar for breakfast, a lunch made up of a whole-wheat grains and lean proteins, a snack of fruit, and a dinner of veggies and lean protein. This is different than may be dictated by protocol, but, it works for me.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #302  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post

anyway, search under my name in this thread and then moving forward you will find lots of great ideas including "breakfast sandwiches". My new fave is a whole wheat english muffin with a pre-made "egg scramble" (using the idea of a microwave and a round dish so they harden into the right size/shape to hold together on the muffin), then you can either add cheese or other stuff to the scramble, and an apple or half a banana, etc. All very portable and good stuff for this trip and in the future.

Which island are you on btw? keep meaning to ask...
I'm on the Big Island -- Hilo -- and love it. And thanks. I'm not as concerned about carrying breakfast, egg sandwich, Canadian bacon, yogurt and apple. But I'll have to carry all three meals, probably, at least one day. Still, I take this as an endorsement to go for it? I am really ready for a good breakfast.

Last edited by Linden; 10-22-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #303  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey41 View Post
It's just a meal, move on.
Right! Actually breakfast is my favorite meal.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #304  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I'm on the Big Island -- Hilo -- and love it. And thanks. I'm not as concerned about carrying breakfast, egg sandwich, Canadian bacon, yogurt and apple. But I'll have to carry all three meals, probably, at least one day. Still, I take this as an endorsement to go for it?
heck yeah! you've already mastered ("mistressed"?) all the other meals, so you've got it covered!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #305  

S/C/G: 188/153/138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I am sooo there with you! When I was getting ready to move into phase 3 I posed this same question and got some great advice which I am happy to pass on. Even if it seems awful now, it is imperative that you implement this breakfast as outlined. It is a key part of the pancreas reset.

I was still a bit unconvinced. I have NEVER been a breakfast eater--my protocol has been to be awake at least 3-4 hours before I can think about any kind of food other than a cup of tea (so even phases 1 and 2 were a bit of a "forced situation" to drink a RTD shake or eat cereal). Day one, phase 3...woke up, gave myself a talking to...waited about 30 minutes and made breakfast. I ate it but it was not necessarily delightful. Same on Day 2 and Day 3. Day 4? I woke up and I was HUNGRY. Like, I thought, "wow, I need to eat some breakfast". Never thought that would happen! But like all the other IP things, it will shock you to learn what your body wants and what it can do, if you give it a chance.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear there are others who had to work at this part of the plan and were able to do it, and successfully!

Quote:
My sister gets the goat's milk yogurt at a health food store. I know it's a bit more expensive than regular yogurt, but, I would think it's worth it.

My experience has been that I don't need to continue with the big breakfast in maintenance. Everyone's different and you need to find what works for you. Normally I have a protein bar for breakfast, a lunch made up of a whole-wheat grains and lean proteins, a snack of fruit, and a dinner of veggies and lean protein. This is different than may be dictated by protocol, but, it works for me.
I will definitely look into finding some of that yogurt. I love yogurt so that would be great to be able to have that again (probably in December or January). I agree with you, everyone has to find a way to make the lifestyle change work for them. The whole idea is to get the weight off and learn to keep it off! You are doing great!

A big THANK YOU to all of you on maintenance for still posting! You guys are such great mentors! It is so nice to finally be on a diet that works and to know that you can maintain the loss!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #306  

Quote:
This is definitely different than the IP Phase 4 protocol! My sheet says that you have to continue with the big breakfast from Phase 3 and add fats and protein at lunch and carbs and protein at dinner. I never even thought about eating less food...it's amazing how focused you become on following protocol to the letter! Do other Phase 4 maintainers follow the same approach as Stacey? I've gained 3 of the 4 last weeks without really cheating, so I'm wondering if I cut back on some of the extra food at each meal if it'll make a difference? I've begun to enjoy the breakfast though, I must admit.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #307  
Getting it Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstina View Post
This is definitely different than the IP Phase 4 protocol! My sheet says that you have to continue with the big breakfast from Phase 3 and add fats and protein at lunch and carbs and protein at dinner. I never even thought about eating less food...it's amazing how focused you become on following protocol to the letter! Do other Phase 4 maintainers follow the same approach as Stacey? :
I started cutting back on breakfasts my 2nd week in maintenance. I try to get something from each "group" (protein, fat, fruit, carbs) but I eat a lot less than what is called for (but I'm happier that way). So, I may have one poached egg and a slice of toast with a little butter and a tsp of whole fruit jam. Lunch may or may not include any fats of significance--might just be a big salad with a couple hardboiled egg or some chicken. Sometimes it's an RTD if I'm on the run and I know I'm planning a big dinner--and then I may grab a salad mid-afternoon if I feel munchy.

I've been in maintenance just about 8 weeks now and am at the exact weight and measurements I was when I hit phase 4. Still taking multi-vitamins, omegas, etc which just make me feel better.

So, I guess I keep to the spirit of protocol (keeping carbs and fat separate, balancing meals, etc.) but not "following" it like a prescription anymore. I try to stay mindful all day of what I am eating and how it balances with what else I have had that day and in the preceding couple days. I step on the scale once each morning and if it has gone up, I may do a boot camp day.

Last edited by Rocky Monarch; 10-24-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #308  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Couple of observations about phase 3 after my first week and a few days:

*My lowest 'home' weight was 126.6 right before I started phase 3. I've bounced up and down this past week, as high as 129 but mostly around 127.

*Thursday or Friday, I started to 'feel' fat. Literally. I felt like my body was swelling. It was also the day I hit 129. I thought back, and realized I'd only gotten about 60-70 oz of water that day. I upped water intake to my normal 'way over 120 oz' rule and it went away. I know we all say water is key, but ... water water water water.

* I really do love breakfast, so I thought i'd be a eggs, bacon girl, but honestly, I love the Nature Valley example on the paperwork. The Alpen Swiss Museli, no sugar added is available on Amazon.com (not in my stores) and it comes in a 4 or 6 pack. It's WONDERFUL! I actually haven't ventured too far from the Nature Valley because I'm so in love with the greek yogurt, Museli, fruit combo.

*Um, the Trader Joes Almond butter (I got the one with sea salt) is amazing. Why did I ever eat Jiff? Why? I love it dearly, and it has two ingredients -- almonds and sea salt. Wow.

*I found high fructose corn syrup in my bread (I'd had it in the freezer from before the diet)! Ack!! It went straight to the compost bin, and I bought new bread yesterday. Lordy! The thing I've found about bread is that the 'health food' brands don't come in low anything (too many calories, carbs, etc), and I haven't been able to find 'Carb Balance' ... but I know others have.

* Overall, although I'm looking forward to being able to have a drink again (Friday...currently deciding between red wine and champagne, a REALLY REALLY nice one) I'm not as excited as I thought I would be about a cheat day/recovery day. Honestly, I love the way I'm eating now, and other than eating out and not to give the waiter a version of the Spanish Inquisition, I'm not all that excited about adding pasta to dinner. Wow!

* Like Novak said would happen (can I just say that I totally miss her on these boards?) ... I'm still losing inches, as well. I'm staying 127 or so, but my clothes are getting bigger. Still. It's wonderful.

* My 'hungry' feeling a few days in did go away with a little extra protein, and it didn't impact me (thanks Rocky and Christina for talking off the ledge on that one). If I do feel hungry now, its because it's past time to eat...which...hello, is why or bodies do that...!

JC

Last edited by JessicaCourez; 10-24-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #309  
Getting it Done!

hey Jessica,
try Dave's Killer Bread here in Portland. I get it at new seasons. They are also in Safeway, but not all the different varieties. If you live eastside, you can go to their bakery outlet in Milwaukie, and I think you can get tastings there. To non-Portlanders: this is great bread and you can order it online, just google the name.

There are a few varieties, some are really good. I just bought the "Powerseed" and it's a little flat tasting. You can have 1-2 slices of this for breakfast (depending on which one you buy).
Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #310  

Quote:
hey Jessica,
try Dave's Killer Bread here in Portland. I get it at new seasons. They are also in Safeway, but not all the different varieties. If you live eastside, you can go to their bakery outlet in Milwaukie, and I think you can get tastings there. To non-Portlanders: this is great bread and you can order it online, just google the name.

There are a few varieties, some are really good. I just bought the "Powerseed" and it's a little flat tasting. You can have 1-2 slices of this for breakfast (depending on which one you buy).
You are the BEST! I love New Seasons, I live not that far from the Hollywood location. I normally buy my fish and steak there...but veggies from TJ's because it's cheaper. As soon as I'm done with this loaf, (Orowheat, light) I'll go get it.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #311  

Linden: How did your trips go? Did you move to phase 3?

I posted this on the other thread, but I had an odd day where I got sick at the doctors office and had to eat some saltine crackers (6) to recover enough to even leave...ugh. I seriously thought of refusing them, but honestly, I just wanted to go home and knew that was my fastest route. It DID help.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #312  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Did anyone have their hair loss start in phase 4? I didn't lose hair any more than normal during phase 1-3, and now all of a sudden, it's coming out in handfulls. What's up with that?? I thought once my diet was more balanced again, I'd be in the clear.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #313  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus80 View Post
Did anyone have their hair loss start in phase 4? I didn't lose hair any more than normal during phase 1-3, and now all of a sudden, it's coming out in handfulls. What's up with that?? I thought once my diet was more balanced again, I'd be in the clear.
The hair loss seems to be a time related thing -- how long you've been on a very low calorie diet. The Mister of the couple (Doctors Eades) who wrote Protein Power has a blog post discussing hair loss and how and why it happens. You should be able to find it by a web search.

adding best way to find it by web search-- use these search terms (heck, copy & paste into the search terms )
michael eades blog "telogen effluvium"

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 10-26-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #314  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
The hair loss seems to be a time related thing -- how long you've been on a very low calorie diet. The Mister of the couple (Doctors Eades) who wrote Protein Power has a blog post discussing hair loss and how and why it happens. You should be able to find it by a web search.
Found it! Very interesting and reassuring - thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #315  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Linden: How did your trips go? Did you move to phase 3?

I posted this on the other thread, but I had an odd day where I got sick at the doctors office and had to eat some saltine crackers (6) to recover enough to even leave...ugh. I seriously thought of refusing them, but honestly, I just wanted to go home and knew that was my fastest route. It DID help.
I saw you post about the lightheadedness and nausea. Scary.

I don't leave for Germany until the 14th of December. I should say we don't leave; an 18-year old cat and a year old puppy. Talk about scary.

Anyway, Sunday a week ago the puppy and I were at an agility class; a pit bull broke its lead and came after the 6 pound puppy. Fortunately, Papillons are wonderfully agile. I threw myself over the puppy and the pit bull landed on me. (I dream I still have slobber in my hair.)

Everything happened so quickly. All I know is that almost instantly there were people pulling the pit bull off of me. Thanks to IP I didn't crush the puppy. And I ended up with some badly torn muscles and sciatic nerve problems. (Heavy painkillers are **** on a diet.) Finally, am flying to Oahu on Thursday for some much needed remedy.

I'm hoping to get back on track soon. Since I can't move around much, cook, stand, etc., I'm back to phase one and hoping to hold my own until I can ditch the painkillers. Meanwhile I'm trying to learn to hand train the puppy. He's the white and black blob with the white and fawn cat wrapped around him in my avatar.

And thanks for asking.

Last edited by Linden; 10-27-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Closed Thread