Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #181  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
I agree with all that has been said , I made the mistake with vit c, so there could be something in those meds & suppliments, does your coach have a scale that measures fat % & muscle mass? This could be a sure fire way to determine if you are actually losing fat but gaining muscle (= out) do you get measured ? Are you still losing in inches? Has your coach seen your journals? Are they at a loss? Have they tried to help you? I would think that they should get in touch with there regionals and send in your food journals for examination? Carb cycling does seem to work for some people, maybe you should throw in a bar every now and then see if it changes things up... do you generally eat the same IP packets and veggies, I always say mix it up I know you have to stay away from soy but your body has a memory (I think) for food just like it does for exercise, maybe you should try to have your biggest meal in the morning...... lets get this party started.... if its broke ..... lets fix it I am glad you were down.... oh one more thing you going to the toilet ok forgot to ask? It has to be something
Between the pain medicine and low fiber, the Big C would be a problem if I didn't drink so much water and regularly take Novilax and stool softener.

I am pretty well stuck in the groove of strawberry pudding and cappuccino drink to avoid soy although I vary dinners a lot. Re: scale. Good point. I do my own weighing and measuring -- good scale and taylor's measuring tape because it's more consistent. I've lost a total of 20" with 6 measuring points. Not a lot, but I'll take it. Here's where things get interesting.

June 15th my % of fat was 40.1; lean muscle 45.3. Today % fat was 32.1; lean muscle 52.3 AND, are you ready for this? I gained 3 inches -- chest, waist, and hips. Cripe on a cracker, if you'll please pardon my vulgarity. But I'm getting tired of this and would like to get on with my life. A thinner, and healthier life. And while IP isn't the most important thing in my life, it's the one I can't seem to get a handle on and it's driving me batty.

If someone could just tell me how in the world I can "lose fat" and gain inches, I'd sure love to hear it. I'm not retaining fluids; I'm by no means exercising enough to be building muscle weight. What's left?

And just please know how much I appreciate your listening as I try to make sense of this. It sure is a great morale booster. Hugs aren't adequate.

Last edited by Linden; 09-24-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #182  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstina View Post
Bev - The way I read the Phase 3 sheet is that the totals refer to breakfast only (30g or less of grain carbs, 20g or less of fruit carbs, 15g or less from dairy carbs, 25g of protein and less than 15g of fat.) Are you sure we're only allowed 15g fat per day?? This doesn't seem right to me. Actually, if you look at all the Phase 3 sample breakfast menus provided, they all seem to contain approx. 15g of fat. Now I'm really confused!

Linden - So sorry to see you going through such a rough time. If you haven't done it already, I think maybe you should try changing it up and having restricteds. It's worth a shot. Good luck!

JessicaC - Congrats on reaching Phase 2!
Ok sorry to jump in here, I think that maybe a typo on the sheet as we are allowed 10 oz lean protein per day which has over 20gr fat alone, or maybe its not more that 15gm of extra fats, ie butter, oil ect. I never worried about fats as I always make lower fat choices now where ever possible, but I followed the menu sheets for phase 3 sweetstina and still lost in phase 3, dont get to stressed.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #183  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Linden - So sorry to see you going through such a rough time. If you haven't done it already, I think maybe you should try changing it up and having restricteds. It's worth a shot.
I have 2 restricted packets left over from the first two weeks, and I'm going to try that. It sounds definitely worth trying, especially since I've raised the level of carbs I've been taking the past few days.

I
Old 09-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #184  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Between the pain medicine and low fiber, the Big C would be a problem if I didn't drink so much water and regularly take Novilax and stool softener.

I am pretty well stuck in the groove of strawberry pudding and cappuccino drink to avoid soy although I vary dinners a lot. Re: scale. Good point. I do my own weighing and measuring -- good scale and taylor's measuring tape because it's more consistent. I've lost a total of 20" with 6 measuring points. Not a lot, but I'll take it. Here's where things get interesting.

June 15th my % of fat was 40.1; lean muscle 45.3. Today % fat was 32.1; lean muscle 52.3 AND, are you ready for this? I gained 3 inches -- chest, waist, and hips. Cripe on a cracker, if you'll please pardon my vulgarity. But I'm getting tired of this and would like to get on with my life. A thinner, and healthier life. And while IP isn't the most important thing in my life, it's the one I can't seem to get a handle on and it's driving me batty.

If someone could just tell me how in the world I can "lose fat" and gain inches, I'd sure love to hear it. I'm not retaining fluids; I'm by no means exercising enough to be building muscle weight. What's left?

And just please know how much I appreciate your listening as I try to make sense of this. It sure is a great morale booster. Hugs aren't adequate.
Well hoorraaayyy on the fat loss, thats great.... have you had you bloodwork done since you started IP? have any of your meds been adjusted? MAybe they need to be? I would try finding out whats in those meds & suppliments, maybe take them all in to your pharmasist and ask them to help you out, I love my pharmasist, he is a wealth of info, do you have 3 IP foods per day? what do you normally have for vegs? eating lettuce? Hey I would hope someone would help me get to the bottom of it if I was in you position
Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #185  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Well hoorraaayyy on the fat loss, thats great.... have you had you bloodwork done since you started IP? have any of your meds been adjusted? MAybe they need to be? I would try finding out whats in those meds & suppliments, maybe take them all in to your pharmasist and ask them to help you out, I love my pharmasist, he is a wealth of info, do you have 3 IP foods per day? what do you normally have for vegs? eating lettuce? Hey I would hope someone would help me get to the bottom of it if I was in you position
Except for having three autoimmune problems, she said, waving her hand airily, my blood work ( done most recently 3 weeks ago) and bone density, especially, are all good. I had a teleconference with the head pharmacist on Oahu and we went over every single prescription and supplement vis a vis the diet. Took an hour! His only suggestion was to take 2 fish oil tablets instead of one.

I eat at least 4 cups of romaine a day with cider vinegar and olive oil (because I love salads). Occassionaly I'll add vegetables and chicken for dinner. I eat a wide variety of vegetables on the allowed list, some days 1 cup of 4 different ones to get balance.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #186  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

So you dont normally have your own protein and veggies for dinner?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Bev - The way I read the Phase 3 sheet is that the totals refer to breakfast only (30g or less of grain carbs, 20g or less of fruit carbs, 15g or less from dairy carbs, 25g of protein and less than 15g of fat.) Are you sure we're only allowed 15g fat per day?? This doesn't seem right to me. Actually, if you look at all the Phase 3 sample breakfast menus provided, they all seem to contain approx. 15g of fat. Now I'm really confused!
Quote:
Ok sorry to jump in here, I think that maybe a typo on the sheet as we are allowed 10 oz lean protein per day which has over 20gr fat alone, or maybe its not more that 15gm of extra fats, ie butter, oil ect. I never worried about fats as I always make lower fat choices now where ever possible, but I followed the menu sheets for phase 3 sweetstina and still lost in phase 3, dont get to stressed.
I think you both are right. I went over the sample breakfast menus, and there is no way they don't have about 15 grams of fat in each of them. It has to be a typo on the explanation sheet. Between that page and the Phase 3 single sheet showing protein containing 1 egg and a slice of ham for breakfast, I was getting confused--easy for me to do at times. Thanks for straightening out my thinking.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 148/111.5/115

Height: 5'4"

Where's Novak??? She's misappeared...
Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #189  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Where's Kelsey?????
Old 09-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I think you both are right. I went over the sample breakfast menus, and there is no way they don't have about 15 grams of fat in each of them. It has to be a typo on the explanation sheet. Between that page and the Phase 3 single sheet showing protein containing 1 egg and a slice of ham for breakfast, I was getting confused--easy for me to do at times. Thanks for straightening out my thinking.
I was confused by this when reading the sheet, also. I'm glad there seems to be a consensus that it is probably a typo, because I was seriously wondering how to keep my whole day under 15 grams of fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie View Post
Where's Novak??? She's misappeared...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Where's Kelsey?????
Yes, where are they??

Quote:

So I weighed in tonight and was down another 2 lbs, which puts me 1.5 lbs under my goal weight. Yippee! After 3 weeks of Phase 2, like Katie I'll also be enjoying my first Phase 3 big breakfast tomorrow!! Thanks for all the tips on how to pick and plan menus, as well as reassurance that it's doable! I have tomorrow's meal all planned out...1 slice multi-cereal toast with WF strawberry spread, 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1 cup strawberries and 3/4 cup greek yogurt. BLISS!
How was your breakfast??
Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #191  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Day 1 of phase 2 in the books! I went for my shaker then realized, NO, you have your eggs in the fridge. I normally waited until 3 to have my lunch shake so I could make it between lunch and dinner, but I was still full feeling at dinner time tonight, so we'll see if I can't have lunch at one sitting. Did others feel more full on phase 2? It could be that I'm in a really good ketosis, because I had to remind myself to down my morning shake around 9:30 today.

Actually, I had to force the food down at dinner, and I even ate late. It shouldn't make that much of a difference having animal protein for lunch...so I thought it was odd.

Still having big C problems, but I was 133 on the scale this morning. I'll take it!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #192  

Height: 5'8"

jessica look at you all in phase 2!! i'm so proud of you!!!!! and you! kplus!! oh it's good to be back to my friends!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #193  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus80 View Post
How was your breakfast??
I definitely enjoyed it, especially the berries and yogurt. However, I must admit that it's a lot more work than downing a pre-made shake! Thankfully I stay home until 8 a.m. to put my son on the school bus and have time for it!

To make things easier, I created 6 breakfast menus that hit all the targets on the Phase 3 sheet and stocked up on all the items required. I also portioned out my own greek yogurt cups (1/2 cup) with berries (1 cup) and put them in those 1 cup Ziploc containers in the fridge so that I can grab them in the morning. This is similar to what I used to do with the IP puddings and jelly. The key to success on this diet for me has been planning and preparation. I still prepare all my salads ahead of time too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
oh it's good to be back to my friends!
Glad you're back Erin!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
I definitely enjoyed it, especially the berries and yogurt. However, I must admit that it's a lot more work than downing a pre-made shake! Thankfully I stay home until 8 a.m. to put my son on the school bus and have time for it!

To make things easier, I created 6 breakfast menus that hit all the targets on the Phase 3 sheet and stocked up on all the items required. I also portioned out my own greek yogurt cups (1/2 cup) with berries (1 cup) and put them in those 1 cup Ziploc containers in the fridge so that I can grab them in the morning. This is similar to what I used to do with the IP puddings and jelly. The key to success on this diet for me has been planning and preparation. I still prepare all my salads ahead of time too!
Would you mind sharing some of your phase III breakfast menu's with me? I am having trouble getting my head around it. For example, why can you have both eggs and bacon, aren't they both protein?

JC
Old 09-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 183/145/140

Height: 5'4.5"

Here are the notes I took form a "Keep It Off" seminar last weekend given by my chiro and the IP regional director.

How to Keep It Off

The purpose of Phases 2 and 3 is to gradually add back in calories.
• Phase 1 is 850-900 cal/day
• Phase 2 is 1200 cal/day
• Phase 3 is 1500 cal/day
During Phase 1, we have increased our muscle:fat ratio (by loosing fat) and therefore we have increased our metabolic rate.

Phase 3 is the most important part of the protocol:
• It “re-boots” the pancreas
• It teaches the body to alternate between two energy compartments: 1. Insulin-mediated (fat storage) and 2. Glucagon-mediated (burns fat)
o Phase 3 adds carbs to breakfast, which stimulates insulin. Then you go back to Phase 2 for the daytime (use glucagons)
• Provides the transition from the weight-loss protocol to the weight-management protocol
• Replenishes the glycogen stores in the body
o These glycogen stores weigh about 2.5-5 lbs, so expect to see a one-time weight gain. So, you may want to loose 3-5 lbs more than goal
• In Phase 3, the only meal that changes from Phase 2 is breakfast
o Breakfast must be eaten all at once
o All of the food groups must be eaten, but the protein size may vary
o Guidelines for Phase 3 morning meal
 Grains: no more than 30 grams (subtract fiber from the total). If a piece of bread has less than 3 grams of fiber, don’t buy it!
 Fruit: 20 grams (example is ½ cup berries)
 Protein: 20-25 grams of whole, lean protein (1 ounce of meat has 7 grams of usable protein, so about 3 ounces of protein. Example: one egg has 6 grams or 1 ounce of usable protein). An IP packet is okay
 Fat: less than 15 grams
 Dairy: No more than 120 calories (8 oz. yogurt or low-fat milk)
 Total calories: 400-500

If gaining weight during Phase 3 is a concern, consider that: it takes 3,500 calories to gain one pound IF you have no metabolism at all [which we all do—it takes calories for us to breathe, our hearts to best, etc.]. An average basal metabolic rate is 1,500 cal/day, so really we would need to eat 5,000 calories to gain a pound (3,500 + 1,500).

Phase 4 protocol
• Have a protein at every meal
• The morning meal is like Phase 3, but you can have less
o If you don’t want all of the food groups, you can skip, except the protein which you must have
• Stay away from the combination of carb + fat except at breakfast (aka morning meal)
• Avoid carbs at lunch, except for veggies. The worst time for carbs is daytime because carbs cause a spike in insulin, then it falls too low and you’ll have no energy (so carbs only at breakfast and dinner)
o Can add more fat to lunch than in previous phases
• It is MANDATORY to have a “cheat day” followed by a low-carb day once a week, for two reasons
o Psychological
o Physiological: Your metabolic “set-point” won’t re-set lower if you have a cheat day once a week

Non-IP-protocol comments
• Some fruits or carbs are better for us than others. [Some people are more insulin-resistant—ie carb-sensitive-- than others and they should eat low glycemic-index carbs.]
o An insulin-resistant person should eat apples, berries, cherries as fruits
o A person who is insulin-resistant should have 3-5 bites of carbs as a serving, whereas a person who is not can have 7-10 bites. [I believe this is very similar to The Metabolic Effect, “The ME Diet”]
• Exercise
o Not important in Phases 1 and 2. The most important part of exercise is actually the recovery period after the exercise. The body can’t properly recover when there’s excess body weight because of cortisol release which increases fat storage. [There also aren’t enough calories being eaten]
o Exercise is important in Phases 3 and 4
 Aerobic exercise
 Interval training (±30 seconds of intense exercise then about a minute of relative rest). This uses more calories and raises the basal metabolic rate for 6-8 hours afterward, which in turn increases fat-burning. [This is also the premise behind the “Metabolic Effect” workout]
 Dr. Wichin’s “Body-Centric” workout: 5 min warm-up, 20 mins (no more) of whatever you like, during which you go as hard as possible as long as you can (should be less than 30 seconds), then rest until you can do it again. [Example: run at max X 30 sec, then walk or slow jog until can do another 30-sec max.] Finish with a 5-minute cool-down. Do this 3-5 times per week
 The two things that work best are 1. Change in intensity and 2. Variety every few weeks or can mix it up every workout

Mary
Closed Thread