Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/185/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hiya Everyone old and new! Wow how the forum has grown - how fantastic!!

It seems like everyone is doing wonderfully on program, I'm kind of jealous and miss it everyday. Today would have been my restart day to get back to phase 1 and get the rest of the weight off so I'm feeling a bit saddened that I will have to wait until after the baby is born and I'm finished breast feeding to get back at it. I suppose at least I know I have a wonderful program to get back to and I know it works like a charm!

Speaking of baby - I'm excited and nervous today because I have an ultrasound to see if we're having twins...TWINS!! Can you believe it? I still think there is only one in there, my doctor isn't sure, and my husband is fully convinced there are two. Being that I have a 15 month old, twins seems a bit daunting... 3 babies under the age of two....GULP!!

Anyway I hope everyone is well, again I will try my best to stay in touch but life seems to be flying by these days and before I know it I'm laying my head down ending another busy day
Jordanna so nice to hear from you !!

Happy everything is going well !!!

Look forward to hearing the news about the twins !!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #17  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:

It seems like everyone is doing wonderfully on program, I'm kind of jealous and miss it everyday. Today would have been my restart day to get back to phase 1 and get the rest of the weight off so I'm feeling a bit saddened that I will have to wait until after the baby is born and I'm finished breast feeding to get back at it. I suppose at least I know I have a wonderful program to get back to and I know it works like a charm!

Speaking of baby - I'm excited and nervous today because I have an ultrasound to see if we're having twins...TWINS!! Can you believe it? I still think there is only one in there, my doctor isn't sure, and my husband is fully convinced there are two. Being that I have a 15 month old, twins seems a bit daunting... 3 babies under the age of two....GULP!!

Anyway I hope everyone is well, again I will try my best to stay in touch but life seems to be flying by these days and before I know it I'm laying my head down ending another busy day
Twins!! Wow! You are truely blessed Jordanna! Congrats!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #18  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

[QUOTE=jordanna;3438640... 3 babies under the age of two....GULP!!

If anyone can handle it, you can. You are missed here and a total inspiration to anyone who has the pleasure to follow your story...keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #19  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

Do you recommend I try to get rid of my "sweet tooth"? I have a friend who completed the IP program and he thinks I would be better off trying to retrain my taste buds while I'm losing the weight. I understand what he is saying, because those are the things that I really like to eat.

Please let me know what you think. I do like to ramp up the flavor of my pudding shakes with DaVinci sugar free syrup's or Walden Farms.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 217/210/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxigirl View Post
I finally got someone to take a photo worth posting as my avatar. This was taken Sat evening at a 90th bday party for my grandmother.

Have a great day!
very nice pic. someday I may figure out how to post one, lol
Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #21  

Wish me luck, first day back with the trainer. My kids all got back from their camping trip so yesterday had 13 of my grandkids plus their parents running everywhere. My almost 3 year -old streaker had us in stitches (3x) we had to catch him to get him dressed. So I was feeling tired by time sent them all home, then the wind wakes me up way to early. Not always a good thing when heading to the gym.

Tomorrow is my first week WI so I'm excited to see what has happened this week.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 211/166/140 started: 5/25

Height: 5'5"

New research on Calcium supplements and Cardiovascular disease.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...n=2&uac=8127CR

you may need to set-up a free account to view the article, but it is worth it.

Calcium Supplements Boost Heart-Attack Risk: Meta-Analysis
Fran Lowry

August 12, 2010 (Auckland, New Zealand) — The use of calcium supplements without coadministered vitamin D is associated with an increased risk of MI [1]. The finding, from a meta-analysis encompassing 15 randomized trials and up to 11 921 participants, warrants a reassessment of the role of calcium supplements in the management of osteoporosis, researchers report online July 29, 2010 in BMJ.

Most guidelines for the prevention or treatment of osteoporosis recommend the use of calcium supplements, despite the fact that they reduce the risk of fracture only marginally, write Dr Mark J Bolland (University of Auckland, New Zealand) and colleagues.

Studies have yielded conflicting results about their use, with some observational studies suggesting that high calcium intake is protective against vascular disease, and others showing that calcium supplements speed vascular calcification and increase mortality in patients with kidney failure and increase cardiovascular events and MI in women.

Senior author Dr Ian R Reid (University of Auckland) told heartwire that women should discuss the finding from his study with their doctors, but that in most cases, "discontinuation of calcium would seem appropriate."

The researchers had previously found an adverse effect from calcium supplements in a clinical trial, which they published in BMJ in 2008 [2], Reid explained. They repeated electronic database searches in March of this year to consolidate those findings.

Their current meta-analysis looked at randomized trials of calcium supplements that supplied at least 500 mg/day of elemental calcium vs placebo. Each of the trials lasted for at least a year and had at least 100 participants with a mean age of 40 years or older. Cardiovascular outcomes were obtained from self-reports, hospital admissions, and death certificates.

In a combined analysis of the five studies that had contributed patient-level data, the investigators found that calcium supplements were associated with about a 30% increase in the incidence of MI (hazard ratio 1.31; 95% CI 1.02–1.67; p=0.035) and smaller, nonsignificant increases in the risk of stroke and mortality.

The findings were consistent across trials, and the risk of MI with calcium supplements tended to be greater in those with higher dietary calcium intake. The MI risk was independent of age, sex, and type of supplement.

A similar analysis of 11 trials that contributed trial-level data showed a 1.27 relative risk of MI (95% CI 1.01–1.59; p=0.038) associated with calcium supplements.

"Clinicians should tell their patients that, for most older people, the risks of calcium supplements outweigh the benefits. Changing to calcium-rich foods may be appropriate," Reid said.

Calcium Supplements Causing Heartburn, Not MI?

In an editorial accompanying the article [3], Dr John Cleland (Castle Hill Hospital, Kingston upon Hull, UK) and colleagues wonder why calcium supplements should increase cardiovascular risk, as found in this meta-analysis. "Accumulation of calcium in the arterial wall leading to reduced compliance would be expected to take years, but the increased risk of myocardial infarction reported by Bolland and colleagues occurred early after calcium supplementation (median follow-up of 3.6 years)."

Cleland et al suggest that the increased risk of MI may not be a true effect, because the increased risk of MI was not accompanied by an increase in mortality. "Calcium supplements could simply be causing gastrointestinal symptoms that could be misdiagnosed as cardiac chest pain," they write, adding that even if the supplements are safe, the neutral effect on mortality "casts doubt on whether they are effective prophylaxis for fractures."

Until more becomes known about the best way to prevent osteoporotic fractures, the editorialists conclude that "patients with osteoporosis should generally not be treated with calcium supplements, either alone or with vitamin D, unless they are also receiving an effective treatment for osteoporosis for a recognized indication." They add that research on whether such supplements are needed in addition to effective osteoporosis treatment is "urgently required."

Dr John Schindler (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA), who isn't a coauthor of the study from Bolland et al, told heartwire that the increased MI risk in the study, although quite modest, is concerning because of the large numbers of people who take calcium supplements. He also questioned whether vascular calcifications could be the cause, because of the trials' relatively short follow-up times.

Gender Differences May Be Important

For Schindler, research into gender differences may yield answers to the increased risk of MI seen in this meta-analysis.

"In this analysis, 88% of the participants were women, and we know that cardiovascular disease in women is radically different from cardiovascular disease in men. The same holds true for cerebrovascular disease. There is something we need to get at, and at this point, no one has really been able to do so."

Schindler also said that the real risk of MI appeared to be in people who took calcium supplements on top of high levels of dietary calcium. "I think the safest thing to tell your patients right now is if you can get your dietary calcium from good dietary sources, such as yogurt, sardines, and skim milk, that potentially might be all you need to ward off the risk of osteoporosis. Then we don't have to deal with this increased cardiovascular risk."

He added that it is important to consider the potential safety concerns along with the benefits of bone health. "The benefits of calcium supplementation in older women with a low risk of fracture may not outweigh the potential cardiovascular risk."

Finally, Schindler noted the absence in the meta-analysis of the Women's Health Initiative, a large study that looked at the role of calcium supplementation with vitamin D in reducing osteoporotic fracture. "There are a lot of data that show that vitamin D is protective from a cardiovascular standpoint. They excluded studies with vitamin D probably because they are trying to isolate one variable. They didn't want to cloud the picture."

This study was funded by the Health Research Council of New Zealand and the University of Auckland School of Medicine Foundation. Bolland, Cleland, and Schindler have reported no relevant financial interests. Reid reported financial relationships with Fonterra.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #23  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Tracy -nice picture!!!!

Jordana
- 'Double' hugs!
PLEASE let us know what the ultrasound shows, we are so excited for you!!!

My gyno doc thought my "son" ( whi is 25 now) was 'twins' cause my belly grew so fast! Didn't he take into consideration I am only 5ft tall. Of course I was gonna pop out fast!! My hubby was relieved my ultrasound showed 1 bambino..

OK... now my weigh in... week #5....drum roll please.....
DOWN another 2.2 pounds and 3 MORE inches!!!!

Doing the "getting skinny dance"
Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #24  

S/C/G: S: 236/C: 188/G: 125

Got my exercise ball this weekend and actually had fun "playing" with it - my coach wants me to bring one to work to sit on throughout the day. I don't think that would fly very far!

Weigh/measure tomorrow evening - but my DH also brought home a new set of scales, which turned out to be exactly like the ones at the clinic. Last night, they weighed me at 213, this morning at 210. IF they run close to what the clinic's say, he weighed me at 217 last Tuesday, which means I'm still going down, down, down!!!

Got rid of a few more things this morning when trying to get dressed - I LOVE saying "Oh, that's much too big, I can't wear that!" Hee, hee!!

Have a glorious day, everyone!

Barbara

One for every five pounds lost:

WI#1: -8.2 lbs, -19.75 in.
WI#2: -2.4 lbs, -10.00 in.
WI#3: -6.0 lbs, -3.25 in.
WI#4: -1.0 lb, -5.75 in.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #25  

S/C/G: S: 236/C: 188/G: 125

Just checking for my ticker -
Old 08-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #26  
Start Date: 2/8/10

S/C/G: 207.1/155.1/134

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Glad you stopped in. Everyone misses you. I posted to you way back when you first found out you were PG. I said Congrats then, and I'll say it again now - Congrats! Maybe I should double up on that! When are you due?

I don't know if you got to read my post, but I was on fertility drugs for 6 years. If they only paid closer attention to my thryoid I probably wouldn't have gained all the weight I did, and been lucky enough to have a 2nd baby. I'm blessed with my Son, and I can't imagine my life without my adopted Son, so things happen for a reason. But I truly believe that being heavy impedes being able to get PG.

Best of everything.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
I'm a couple days into week 3 and am beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong. I lost 2 pounds in week 2, and so far this week, the scale is not budging. I follow protocal strictly, my only "add-in" is the Target Market Pantry 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 fat drink mixes.

My veggies consist of broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, onion, mushrooms and cauliflower and celery. Once a week I may have a couple of slices of tomato or a cup of green beans. If I have a flaw, it's my use of salt (both the provided salt and my own shaker)

I am currently using the omlet, chocolate drink, vanilla pudding, cappiciuno, packets.

I have stayed away from strenous exercise, with an occassional walk or bike ride or gardening.

Am I doing something wrong? Or just have too high expectations? Any help from the seasoned veterans out there would be appreciated.

many thanks!
Since I've been doing the IP protocol all along without a coach, I might have a bit of a different perspective on weigh-ins... I have no idea of what I weighed when I started & don't know what I weigh now... but I am THRILLED TO PIECES with this program!.. I've dropped from a size 16W to a size 12 in two & a half months, faster & easier than with any other weight loss method I've EVER tried... I feel younger than I have in 25 years... I have scales, stashed away in the closet, so someday I might decide to dig them out & see what I weigh, but for now, how I feel & how my clothes fit are WAY MORE important to me... I'm not trying to tell you not to weigh, if you're using a coach, you will once a week, & that's how the coached program works... what I'm suggesting is don't let the number on the scales be the ONLY gauge you use to know if the diet is working... it WILL work, so hang in there!..

Best wishes...

Quote:

Great to hear from you, Jordanna!.. WOW!!!... TWINS!!!.. how cool & absolutely precious!.. please let us know as soon as you can... we miss you too...

lots of hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietfrenzy View Post
New research on Calcium supplements and Cardiovascular disease.
Thanks for this great article!.. it does make some sense... this isn't the first time I've heard something about this, so I had already been thinking of weaning myself off calcium supplements... (might as well finish the bottle)..

hugs to ALL
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/145

Height: 5'6

JORDANA: Twins would be awesome! Definitely a gift from GOD for a wonderful person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
Tracy -nice picture!!!!
[B]

OK... now my weigh in... week #5....drum roll please.....
DOWN another 2.2 pounds and 3 MORE inches!!!!

Doing the "getting skinny dance"
Thanks for the compliment and GREAT weigh-in!

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the new avatar. When I started on this forum, I had no intention of ever "revealing" myself. Somehow the members here make you feel comforatable enough to do that! What a compliment for our IP'ers. THANKS!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkyparry View Post
Do you recommend I try to get rid of my "sweet tooth"? I have a friend who completed the IP program and he thinks I would be better off trying to retrain my taste buds while I'm losing the weight. I understand what he is saying, because those are the things that I really like to eat.

Please let me know what you think. I do like to ramp up the flavor of my pudding shakes with DaVinci sugar free syrup's or Walden Farms.

Don't that you have to get rid of it, but maybe retrain it. I find their bars give me enough sweet that I can deal with my wanting more. Good luck with it.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #30  

Jordanna - So glad you stopped by! We've missed you and were hoping that all is well with you and your pregnancy. Best wishes at the ultrasound...so excited for you! Wishing you much love, laughter, health and happiness!

ShrinkingSusie - Just wanted to say "WAY TO GO, GIRL!" You are doing so fantastically well! Your fiancé is going to be so surprised when he sees you at the end of the month. You must be so excited and anxious. Keep up the great work!

CoastalCrafter - You're doing great! Keep it up!

Doxigirl/Tracy - Great photo!

I weigh in tonight after work and am hoping for a big loss. I've been so close to my goal and to moving on to Phase 2 for a while now...I'm starting to wonder if I'm deliberately sabotaging myself because I'm afraid to move on from the "comfort" of Phase 1. As people are returning to work from holidays today and seeing me for the first time in a few weeks, I've been getting all sorts of comments and compliments...but they always seem to end with "You're not planning on losing any more are you? You'll be too skinny." Grrr...I'm almost done...need to finish this already so that I can move beyond Phase 1 and start the rest of my life. As usual, I'm looking to this site for motivation and inspiration...thanks ladies and gents!!

Last edited by Sweetstina; 08-16-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Closed Thread