Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

Holy Shmoly...guess what.

I totally wore a size 10 pencil skirt to church today! That's right- size 10. I've had it in my closet since freshman year of college...with the tags still on it. I decided this morning that I was going to try it just for kicks. Well, it fit. It really fit! I looked tiny in it. Even the fiance noticed. He said, "Babe- you look fantastic". He says that to me anyway, but this time he was truly shocked. I've been wearing my normal clothes so they've only been getting bigger....not showing off curves.

Take that horrible week! Even without losing an ounce this week, I'm still in a size 10! WOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #92  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post

I totally wore a size 10 pencil skirt to church today! That's right- size 10. I've had it in my closet since freshman year of college...with the tags still on it. I decided this morning that I was going to try it just for kicks. Well, it fit. It really fit! I looked tiny in it. Even the fiance noticed. He said, "Babe- you look fantastic". He says that to me anyway, but this time he was truly shocked. I've been wearing my normal clothes so they've only been getting bigger....not showing off curves.

Take that horrible week! Even without losing an ounce this week, I'm still in a size 10! WOOOOOOOO!!!!
OH AWESOME HONEY!!!!!
when's the wedding????
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #93  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2 B MrsT View Post

YEY! see? we should focus on inches more than weight, I swear!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 221/165/155 started 8/10/10

Height: 5' 8 1/2"

Hi, everyone. From the little bit of reading I've done here, you are all such an inspiration. I'm new to this site and am going to be starting the IP diet this week. I have my first appointment set up at a health and wellness center for tomorrow night. My sister has been on this diet for 3 months and has lost 40 lbs. Her daughter has been on it for 2 weeks and has lost 13 lbs. I'm sold and can't wait to start. I have a lot of weight to lose...I think around 60 lbs. Seems daunting right now and I'm a little nervous, but am excited to start this journey and am hoping it really will be my last diet.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #95  
getting back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2swim View Post
Hi, everyone. From the little bit of reading I've done here, you are all such an inspiration. I'm new to this site and am going to be starting the IP diet this week. I have my first appointment set up at a health and wellness center for tomorrow night. My sister has been on this diet for 3 months and has lost 40 lbs. Her daughter has been on it for 2 weeks and has lost 13 lbs. I'm sold and can't wait to start. I have a lot of weight to lose...I think around 60 lbs. Seems daunting right now and I'm a little nervous, but am excited to start this journey and am hoping it really will be my last diet.
You have taken the first and most important step! Now work it as it specifies and you will see results...GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #96  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
You have taken the first and most important step! Now work it as it specifies and you will see results...GOOD LUCK!
Thanks, Elizabeth. Have so much to learn about the diet as well as this site. First question, where does everyone find the weight chart milestone bars that are in your signatures? They're great!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #97  
getting back on track

...well I woke up this morning feeling like crap... run down and achy body...had an AWFUL carb loaded weekend (no excuse for it, out of towner celebrating Bday and all) and I did climb Stone Mountain yesterday... so don't know what of everything (if any of it) did it...but I believe I will now be hating pizza LOL...and top it with hormones? ahhh the joys of womanhood... Woke up CRYING! how about THAT? yeah, had a bad dream and then woke up and remembered and started sobbing! Head cold too... ugh... so not feeling well.

Well tomorrow starts another week and I am on track today so lets hope I can turn this around cause LORD it SUCKS!

Last edited by deinekatze; 08-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #98  
Started IP March 1, 2010

S/C/G: 201.6/150.6/140

Height: 5'8"

lovs2swim.....I had 60lbs. to lose, too. I have lost 48. It has gone fast. I have found so much help on this board and I'm sure you will, too. You will be so glad you started IP. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!!! Good Luck to you and welcome.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Quote:
...well I woke up this morning feeling like crap... run down and achy body...had an AWFUL carb loaded weekend (no excuse for it, out of towner celebrating Bday and all) and I did climb Stone Mountain yesterday... so don't know what of everything (if any of it) did it...but I believe I will now be hating pizza LOL...and top it with hormones? ahhh the joys of womanhood... Woke up CRYING! how about THAT? yeah, had a bad dream and then woke up and remembered and started sobbing! Head cold too... ugh... so not feeling well.

Well tomorrow starts another week and I am on track today so lets hope I can turn this around cause LORD it SUCKS!

Ugh, sounds like you're a mess! Herbal tea, a good book and a nap sound in order. Also, lots of water to flush your system out. Hope you feel better soon!!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #100  
getting back on track

Quote:
Thanks, Elizabeth. Have so much to learn about the diet as well as this site. First question, where does everyone find the weight chart milestone bars that are in your signatures? They're great!
You have to be on the board I believe 21 days and also have a certain a mount of posts before it will allow you to add a signature weight tracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey41 View Post
Ugh, sounds like you're a mess! Herbal tea, a good book and a nap sound in order. Also, lots of water to flush your system out. Hope you feel better soon!!
Well tonight we are going to the movies and meeting with our cousins so no can do... I really hope the sweating at the gym helped too... Tell you what, definitely stayed on my Fat Burning zone FOR SURE... I was dizzy otherwise LOL

Thank goodness I don't have to get up early to go to a job tomorrow... Hopefully I will heal by then... It's just I have not been sick in a while...ugh!

Thanks for the good thoughts and advice... absolutely pounding on the water today

Hugs back
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #101  

Coastalcrafter - Also can we have fresh tomatoes daily on our salads?? They are in season and sooo good! Thanks in advance!![/QUOTE]

My protocol says we can have tomatoes twice a week - so I have one whole (smaller) tomato at a meal twice a week, along with raw cuke and/or cauli to make up the 2 cups. I treasure these times as the tomato gives the salad such a nice flavor. Our season is so short here that I will enjoy them as much as I can !

Quote:
Loves2Swim - welcome !! I too, have a substantial amount to lose and I started with 40 pounds. That to me is doable ! Anymore to me was overwhelming to comprehend. Now I've passed this first goal...I start over. 40 again, ahhh a cinch ! You can do this too ! All the best to you !

Last edited by Emma Jayne; 08-08-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #102  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Quote:

WELCOME!!! I HAVE A LOT TO LOSE TOO, BUT TIME GOES BY FAST AND IF YOU DONT CHEAT, INCHES FLY OFF YOU! I HAVE WEIGH IN 4 TOMM...

FOR YOUR WEIGHT TRACKER, YOU HAVE TO BE A MEMBER 20 DAYS WITH SO MANY POSTINGS, AND THEN ON DAY 21 IF YOU CLICK ON YOUR USER CP, YOU WILL SEE 'EDIT SIGNITURE, AND CLICK ON THAT AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS...
Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #103  

Quote:
You have to be on the board I believe 21 days and also have a certain a mount of posts before it will allow you to add a signature weight tracker.

Thanks, Elizabeth. My niece just gave me a list of foods for the jump start, so I'm off to the store so I'll be ready to start first thing Tuesday morning. Hope you feel better.

Thanks for the welcome, WyoSun! Can't even imagine being 48 lbs lighter. You must be feeling on top of the world. I'm off work for the next 5 weeks and would love to be able to go back there 15 to 20 lbs lighter. Not sure if that's possible. Actually had a coworker tell me Thursday: "You need to get control over your eating." She's a good friend and meant it in a positive way, but still....

Thanks to you, too, Coastalcrafter and Emma Jayne, for the welcome. What a friendly, supportive place this is.

Last edited by loves2swim; 08-08-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #104  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

My inlaws invited us over for a bbq today (last minute) so I baked some cookies as I'm always expected to bring dessert. No big deal, I made espresso chip cookies as I hate coffee. Hehe. I'm also expected to cook ALL the veggies but I'm sending my husband over early to do it. I'm really exhausted from hiking yesterday and this morning and I have more errands today. I'm bringing pretty much my own food as I feel bloaty and don't want to guess on what might be there. I've gone up a bit this week but since I've been so strict I'm pretty sure it is just water weight from the massive heatwave we are having.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #105  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by damgi View Post
I have to go back and catch up on the last few days, but I had to share this:

DH weighed in yesterday and was down 6.4 for a total of 16.8 in 17 days. (MEN! Why do they get to lose so much so fast...) Anyway, the clinic owner / his coach said to him "What have you been doing?"

Danielle
That does seem odd, even as a cute quip. She knows men lose 5 to 7 pounds a week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatsFan View Post
I have been lurking reading alot of everyone's posts. Great information! I weighed in today and lost one pound. My coach basically says in so many words not a great week. I have been on the program for 4 weeks and have lost 14.8 pounds. I don't have a lot to lose. I actually only want to lose about another 8 pounds.

Weekends are very hard for me!

I have to really focus the next few weeks. On 8/21 my husband is throwing me a 40th B-day party.
Sorry you coach responded that way. Sometimes, I think they forget how the littlest change can effect results for some of us. They also forget that there enthusiasm can effect the next week in some cases.

I hope you have let it go and are focusing on doing well between now and your birthday. You have already seen such great results! Just think what a great birthday gift you are giving yourself losing the weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post

what is the significance of fruit in phase 3? fruit is just sugar. i have NEVER been a fruit person, fruit and fruit juices have always given me massive headaches. should i adjust my breaskfast to include more dairy or whole wheat toast to compensate for this? i can sometimes get away with a couple of gulps of orange juice if it's absolutely necessary but i'd really rather stay away from fruit :/

thanks for any explanations/advice!
My understand is fruit is added so that your body begins to learn how to respond to a healthy sugar. It causes an insulin spike which, means the pancreas has to be awake. I don't think you can avoid it unless you have a true allergy to fruit.

Although a fruit headache isn't rare, it is more on the uncommon side. Some people who experience fruit headaches actually develop migraines. There are a couple of "suggested possibilities" for what causes this reaction. Some sources say it is a chemical in the fruit. Others say it is the rush from the insulin because of how "sugar loaded" fruit is. Or, another possibility is that the acids in the fruit cause the headache. These are all in addition to people having intolerances or allergies to fruits.

Foods commonly reported to create this reaction are: citrus, bananas (these do it for me), dried/preserved fruits like raisin, craisin, apricots, dates ... look for sulfites in the label, papaya, mango, passion fruit, fig, dates, avocado, raspberries, red plums, black or red grapes, apples, and pears. Some people react to melons and stone fruits (peach, nectarines, apricot, cherry).

In general reactions to raspberries, red plums, papayas, passion fruit, figs, dates, eggplant, figs, grapes, oranges, pineapples, plums, prunes, and raisins, banana and avocado are because they contain tyramine (amino acid), although at levels lower than aged or preserved cheese/meats. Tyramine can cause blood vessels to dilate, and this may be what starts the migraine chain-reaction in some people. If that is your cause, you most likely also get headaches with salami, pepperoni, soy sauce, sauerkraut, aged cheeses, terriyaki sauce and nuts.

Fruits such as apples, avocados, blueberries, dates, kiwi fruit, peaches, raspberries, figs, grapes, plums, strawberries, cherries, grapefruit, and prunes contain salicylates which can cause multiple symptoms depending on degree of intolerance and can cause headaches. IF you were allergic to salicylates you might also react to: alfalfa, cauliflower, cucumbers, mushrooms, radishes, broad beans, eggplant, spinach, zucchini, broccoli, and hot peppers AND Aspirin. This is just a short list as salicylates are in many foods, spices, cheeses, tomato paste/sauce, and other chemicals right down to toothpaste.

There are other reasons for fruit intolerance, mostly related to inherited tendencies for food intolerance and allergies, or lack of enzymes to digest. There are rare fructose malabsorption issues but the symptoms of this are so severe a person is diagnosed with this very early.

If it is that the fruits are too high in acid, try eating them on the less ripe rather than overripe side. A trick, for phase 4, is to have anything very acid like banana or orange with a bit of honey, the sugar helps many people. If it is an enzyme issue, start taking essential enzymes with your breakfast or when you take fruit. It is possible that you are lacking an enzyme or coenzyme to help break down a sugar in the fruits (think lactose intolerant as a comparison). Getting the added enzymes will be good for you anyway as a complete essential enzyme has elements to break down fats, proteins, carbs, and several other elements much more efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelliemom View Post
I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but my new job is at a chiropractic clinic. I mentioned to the doctor that I recently lost 50lbs and they were pretty interested in hearing the details. They've been very awesome and supportive so far. I'm secretly hoping that they'll bring IP into the office sometime when they witness me drop the last of my weight and maintain. This week the doctor took all of the staff out to lunch at a mexican place. ... Everyone was impressed with my self control. ...
Congratulations!! a new job in such a perfect setting, I hope they do get the IP program in. You should encourage it. Maybe he can use you as his coach.

Wonderful NSVS and in the 180's! You must be on !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn5419 View Post

NSV ALERT! Tried on a pair of jean capris that I haven't worn in at least a year and they fit and I didn't even have to take a deep breath to button them!

And the scale finally ready in the 30's!!!!! I'm only 28 lbs away from my wedding weight and I was a size 14 for that and I remember the self confidence I had even at a size 14, what a difference that makes on the outside and the inside..... So exciting! I love this diet..
Congratulations on the capris! You must be so pleased!! Scale result too! WOW. And, didn't I hear you were going to get new wedding pictures someday! You better start thinking about having the dress sized if you keep going like you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyputty View Post
well just finished making a soup with some spinach all blended up... think now I can get all the veggies and salads down without feeling like I am eating soo much. Does it seem like inches are falling off in one or two areas rather than others? My waist is shrinking, but arms and calves are not... hmm time to lift wieghts I guess. Have a great week all!
I lost all my inches from upper body first. Once in awhile my hips or thighs would respond but it was mostly neck, shoulders, back, ribs, arms, and torso (abs/waist/tummy) areas. Only in the past month have hips been started to go and I think that is because it where the most of what I have left (butt, thighs, calves) resides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I just got back from a 3.5 mile walk/run before lunch. ... He didn’t slow down at all, but when he got right up beside me, he said something. It took a few seconds for the words to register, and by the time I realized what he said, he’d just about disappeared from view.

At that point, I laughed out loud. It’s not every day a lean, 30-something athlete tells an old lady like me that she’s got a “great butt.” Made my day.

I love IP.
ROFL!! TOO COOL! I love that. I wish we had a way of keeping all these amazing but true stories. Some thread or something to look back at. THIS is going to be a classic So happy for you Novak! You deserve that kind of compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
... I'm doing kettlebells for strength training & I'm lovin' what they've done for my arms & shoulders...

hugs
Kettlebells. I have been starting to get interested in them. Do you find they are too strenuous for this program? Do you do them at home or somewhere else? What do you use, a tape, dvd, book, print out of exercises? TELL ME MORE, PLEASE!

Quote:
workout #3 just now...i know i said i'd start with 2x per week but i'm hooked, will probably do again monday to make 4x this week. oh 6 pack! ready or not, here i come

oh and the plank kicks my arse but i love it.
Just be careful Erin. If you stall out or lose little this week, remember you made a big change. Back it back down to 3x a week and see if results improve. If that is still too much of a stall. Go back to 2x a week. REALLY, I have it on good authority that someone was stalled losing, was doing Zumba 4x a week. When they backed her back down to 2x a week it was a sudden lose of weight again. Find your tolerance level

Quote:
had a vanilla pudding shake for the first time in a month or so after my wokout. now stomach is killing me. is there something in the vanilla that's not in the chocolate that may be causing this? i usually make chocolate pudding shakes...
It is the acesulphame K (ace K) it is very common to have sensitivity to this. I get a little crampy, gassy, and headachy but not enough to make me stop using it. I just use it very rarely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
Steph, I know EXACTLY what you mean and I so clearly remember being at that same point: "will my life just be horrible food choices from now on and will I always feel deprived???". here is what I can tell you happened for me, and maybe others can say if they have had this same "aha" or not...

...I started to look at food very differently. Now when I go out, I look at the menu before I go in (or check it out online before I go) and I either figure out something I can eat, or I find somewhere else to go which will give me choices I like. Sometimes this is very hard, especially when you are with a group or its a work thing...but after awhile you just get other methods in place (carrying packets, etc.)

... But I realized NOBODY in my house was benefitting from sugary snacks or white rice, etc. Why would I want my daughter to be developing habits and preferences for foods that will destine her to future insulin resistance and possible weight issues? So, I have been changing the way we eat as a family.

...if she is going to eat it, it should be a "treat" not something available and at hand every day. We can have it when we go out.

All of this is a long way of saying I have finally learned WHY this is the last diet you will ever be on...because if you can use this time on IP to re-learn how to shop, how to eat and how to cook, you WILL solve your weight issues for the rest of your life. If you only do IP as a "sideline" from your other food life, then when you quit the program it will be almost impossible to keep the weight off.

IP has changed how I cook and what I cook and THAT in the long run is what will make this stick for the rest of my life.

Rocky, I completely agree with you. I kept the parts of your post (above) that I had gone through or related to. I have learned to approach a grocery store differently. I don't need anything that isn't on the edges and most of what I get, including eggs, meat, and fish can be found at the farmer's market. I look for recipes that are low carb/low sugar/gluten free/vegetarian/raw/paleolithic or something that I can modify to that.

I look at restaurant menus differently. I review them online if I can. If not, eating out is now about going out and being in the company of someone I enjoy and not about the food. I KNOW I am eating a protein, veggies, and a salad. It will be the simplest and most boring thing on the menu or that I can get the kitchen to prepare and it will probably be the same thing I had last time. WHY? because I have come to realize that a healthy way of eating is much less exciting and marketable in a restaurant. Most people want all the extras. I am ok with enjoying my social time and not the food.

I am much more vocal to my family about why I won't eat things now versus in the beginning. My nephew and niece (both age 8) are now telling their moms and friends.. we can't eat that it isn't healthy. it has to many carbs or sugars.. whatever. It is cute. My little niece says "I can't have that tomato.. I already had some and I want some strawberries later." She is starting to understand that even healthy foods have carbs and sugars and can be "not good" in the wrong quantities. I like watching my sisters look at food differently and my dad and his wife too. ALL of them are starting to change their diets because of how changing my diet benefited me.

For me, the aha moment occurred after a cheat. I realized several things. The food didn't taste like I remembered ; very disappointing. It left me feeling sick; also disappointing. It left me hungry. It left me tired after about 20 min. That all made me realize, I was never going to be going back to how I ate. MY body was not designed to eat that diet and, it loves this one. I know I won't always eat as strictly and I know dessert will be an option. I also know, cheats will be allowed. I just realize that my future diet is more like what I eat today that what I use to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tle1103 View Post
It is so true that IP changes the way you think about eating and your lifestyle. Yesterday, I went grocery shopping with my husband. We started in the produce section and I put cabbage, cauliflower, mushrooms, spinach, rommaine lettuce, celery, and broccili in the cart. As we left the produce section, I said to my husband, "This is all I need, except for some lean meat like chicken, fish and turkey." Wow, what a change from before IP. I'm loving it!
Have a blessed Sunday!
I do the same. I can really do all my grocery shopping at the farmers market. They don't have skim milk but that is the only thing I need that I can't get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDear View Post

The food is expensive at first ... I am saving some money on food now. Instead of the breakfast bars for a quick breakfast, I boil 6 eggs to make deviled eggs. I throw out the yokes, and fill the eggs with fat free rocotta cheese, and mustard with spices. I put them in the fridge and when I am in the need for a protein for breakfast or snack I eat two halves of deviled eggs. I can continue to eat like this after I get to my target weight.

And I know that I will get to the target weight, But this time I am not hungry getting there.
Lynn, I know you are doing the Lindora plan and foods. I know they are a little different in their program. I think they allow fruit and bread earlier. Do they also allow cheese, like the ricotta? How far does 1/4 cup of ricotta go to filling up the 6 eggs? I ask only because Ideal Protein doesn't allow for the cheese or the added dairy fat til much later in the program. Also, not sure what brand you are using but I was trying to compare the exchange of egg yolk for cheese. It seems all you really gain is the lower fat and related lower calories. A good choice for phase 3 or 4 if you are on IP though.

1 egg yolk boiled is 0.8g carb, 0.8 g sugars, 2.4g protein, 5g fat

Frigo fat free ricotta has 3g carb/3sugar, 6 g protein in ¼ cup
Sorrento fat free ricotta 5g carb/4g sugar, 10 g protein in ¼ cup
Sargento fat free ricotta has 5g carb/2g sugar, 5 g protein in 1/4/cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
I had a bar for breakfast each morning this past week since that's what my coach told me to do, so my blood sugar levels wouldn't flucuate so much.. I have not eaten the bars before, since they are higher in carbs and sugars.. will it slow down my weekly weigh loss if I do have them daily???? Has anyone noticed??

Also can we have fresh tomatoes daily on our salads?? They are in season and sooo good! Thanks in advance!!
The restricted bar use is an individual response issue. Some people can only do every other day. Others people show no problems with everyday. You can only have spaghetti or chili 2x during the week. Other than that the others can be used daily if you tolerate them.

TOMATOES... they are an occasional food. You are suppose to limit them to 2x per week. NOW, that said. Tomato in small... REALLY, I mean small, quantities will not hurt you. If you chopped 3 grape tomatoes on a salad every day just to get the color and taste of tomato it would not be a problem. The problem is North Americans have a diet that will encourage over eating of tomatoes. That creates a problem because of sugar and acid. If you can control the tomato usage, you are fine. Just use it like you would a spice, add just to enhance the flavor of something not to be the whole flavor.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-09-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Closed Thread