Ip Weekly Chat August 1st to the 7th 2010

You're on Page 2 of 34
Go to
  • Go for the strappy ones.

You're a shoe-in for that job, Kelsey.

• I'd have to say the strappy's... but they both look good!
  • Quote: The nightmares are back. I was dreaming about eating food again last night. I hate that! I always wake up thinking I really did it. I wonder if that will ever go away?
    One afternoon I dozed while sitting at the computer, I woke reaching for food on a plate I had been dreaming I was eating. This same week I found I had been hungrier than usual and having cravings. I don’t know why, TOM had passed and it had been just another week. I guess the dream was caused by the other and maybe my reaction of “oh no(!)” will help me in the future (“that’s my story and I’m sticking to it”, hopefully).
    Quote: Weigh-in #3, down 5.7! That's 14.8 lbs in 23 days. I've lost at least an inch on the bra band and maybe 4 off my waist. (Clothes I wore for initial weigh-in are at dry cleaners, so I can't do an exact comparison)

Color me convinced -- I'm hooked on IP!
    Fantastic Loss!!! Congratulations!
    Quote: I haven't read the posts from yesterday and today yet, but I thought I'd send this out first. On Friday I got extremely hungry in the afternoon at work, so I ate the emergency IP bar I keep stashed in my purse. Went ahead and had my regular dinner and IP snack, so I ended up having 4 packets that day rather than 3...better than cheating I guess. Same thing happened to me yesterday. We were at a birthday bbq lunch (for which I brought my own IP-friendly salad) all day and I once again got extremely hungry in the afternoon. I had forgotten to replace my emergency IP bar, so I ended up eating about 15 tortilla chips. Not good. Has anyone else had this happen? This wasn't about giving in to a craving, it was more like hunger shakes! This is the first time I've had this happen since I've been on IP. So weird!
    I’m curious about this also. I was feeling poorly for a couple of weeks with the “shakes” or “weakness”. I thought it had to do with coffee, so I cut back and the feelings have subsided. But, I noticed you have lost in the 30lb range and I was wondering if others when reaching this range experienced the same.
    Quote: I'm new at this thread thing and don't know where to find the recipes for certain IP items. Specifically vanilla pudding recipes. I've been just mixing it with cold coffee (more than it calls for) to make a very tasty coffee drink for my morning out the door drink.
    At the top of the IP page (if you are within this thread and want to get to the main IP page, scroll to the top, at the left above the purple bar going across the page, there is the path leading to where you are, select the second to last item “Ideal Protein Diet”, this will load the main page) there are Stickys, there are two for recipes. You can do a search for “Vanilla Pudding”. When you select search at the top of the page, select advanced search from the drop down, in key words enter “Vanilla Pudding” (with the parentheses) go to the bottom, under “show results as” select “posts”, in the box to the right under “search in forum” scroll down to “Ideal Protein Diet” highlight it with a single click, at the bottom click on the “search now” button. Hope this helps. Rosie
  • Quote: [COLOR="DarkGreen"]VOTE: STRAPPY (THE FIRST ONES) OR SLING BACKS (THE BOTTOM ONES)
    Job interview - sling backs. (Unless your office is extremely fashion forward, which it sounds like Jef(?) is, but are the rest?) Either shoe you choose will look good, but the important question; which shoe are you most comfortable in? You definitely don't want to be trying to answer questions while your feet are uncomfortable...

Kelsey you look amazing! I can't believe you're old enough to have kids in college - you definitely don't look old enough!

I woke up this morning to sore arms... I've got a good cardio and pilates routine, but no resistance/strength training. So.... yesterday when I finished with pilates, I did some free weights targeting the arms and lovely bat wings. I'll be heading out for my morning run in a little bit which should help loosen the muscles. Hopefully...

Have a great Sunday everyone! TaylorMade, hope the move yesterday went smoothly!
  • Bruising

Originally Posted by pitakitten
    Seriously though, anyone out there ended up with this problem? As of say 10 days ago my left inner thigh is dark blue, is it the blood vessels and since I list weight I can see them now or have I injured myself? My left leg muscles are way more in pain than right and I've beenthunking it's the squats and lunges since left has always been weaker.

I don't know if it is the same or not but, I remember complaining to my coach about bruising on my right leg, around week 16, that wouldn't heal. I had about 5 spots between 1 and 2 inch long and approx 1/2" wide. They lasted quite awhile then, gradually went to the yellow look. Since then I found I bruised very easily, I did some research and found that if certain nutritional elements drop too low people report bruising as a side effect.

" Dieters who have lost a substantial amount of weight are also at risk of developing bruises. This is due to the fact that they have many capillaries that were needed to supply blood to their body, but that body is no longer there, leaving the capillaries exposed.

One of the main causes of bruising seems to be a deficiency in certain nutrients, primarily vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, bioflavonoids, and zinc. A vitamin C deficiency may be caused by several factors:

• eating too few fruits and vegetables (remember the problem sailors used to have centuries ago with scurvy outbreaks on long voyages? It was caused by a lack of vitamin C)

A deficiency in hesperidin, one of the bioflavonoids (sometimes called vitamin P), naturally occurring nutrients usually found in association with vitamin C, has been linked with abnormal capillary weakness. These bioflavonoids, including hesperidin, Citrin, Rutin, Flavones, Flavonals, Calechin and Quercetin, were found to be essential in correcting the tendency toward bruising." http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_bruis.htm

Other research indicated, B12, Folic acid, and Iron deficiencies can contribute to bruising.

Based on our diet and what we DON'T eat, I have been adding a vitamin c with bioflavanoids daily. (also, I was already taking a lot of B vitamins because of the hair issue.) We should be getting plenty of our dark green veggies so, in theory, vita K should be enough. Also, we do get zinc in our veggies and supplements and it does seem to be adequate (at least in my case). We get vita E in our supplements and plenty of omega oils so, I didn't think to go there first. I asked why we don't supplement Iron in our multi vitamin and was told it is to maintain some chemistry/algorithim of the diet. I have not altered the iron, Yet!

My body tolerates 4000mg a day right now; actually I can tolerate much more close to 7000mg if I spread it through the day. That is high for me compared to what I use to take. Vitamin C is not a stored vitamin in our body and flushes away very easily. You can tell how much you can tolerate by taking a dose and then watching how your intestines respond. As you reach tolerance you become gassy. When you exceed tolerance/need you develop diarrhea. Back the dose down so that you are no longer gassy and you are fine.

Since starting the vitamins I have seen a definite change in the frequency of bruises. I still bruise, and somewhat easily, but I can always remember the painful event that caused the bruise AND I am healing much faster now.

JUST saw this part:
    Quote: >5 inches diameter. I'll call doc on Monday I don't want to stop doing what I am doing. I tried last night and the pain was massive when I tried to do side lunges to my left.
    That is BIG! See a doctor. It could be a torn muscle or other vessel, especially with pain. I have seen that on my dad's leg recently. A very large bruise happened after he tore a muscle on his inner right thigh.

Also, if you have more than the normal bruised pain under a bruised area and you also have a feel of pressure building around and under a bruise, you want to rule out a rare thing called compartment syndrome. It is when increased pressure on the soft tissues decrease the supply of vital blood and oxygen to the tissues. Very rare but, very serious. You don't mention having a feeling of pressure so, I don't think this is the case but, sharing anyway.
  • Quote: You may have bruised it!

I have never noticed such a thing so you may want to have it checked out. How extensive is it?

>5 inches diameter. I'll call doc on Monday I don't want to stop doing what I am doing. I tried last night and the pain was massive when I tried to do side lunges to my left.

Quote: slingbacks
    woo hoo...bikini!

KELSEY: I like the strappy ones the best, they are just sexier but have a feeling might not be as comfortable as the arch looks higher. Me being a comfort freak would go for the comfortable one since both look nice.

CARLA: I google it and you know I saw notes from folk who have lost weight who are going through the same thing, specially on inner thighs, they see blood vessels. I already take 500 mg of C in the mornings but even though I am in phase 3 I probably am not getting enough of the other things. Especially Vit B, I take one multi a day and maybe should amp it to 2 or just take a separate one.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS.
  • Quote: Ooooo, love the outfit, you look great. I really like the strappy ones, where did you find them? You are going to do great!
    DSW - clearance! $28

Quote: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Job interview - sling backs. (Unless your office is extremely fashion forward, which it sounds like Jef(?) is, but are the rest?) Either shoe you choose will look good, but the important question; which shoe are you most comfortable in? You definitely don't want to be trying to answer questions while your feet are uncomfortable...

Kelsey you look amazing! I can't believe you're old enough to have kids in college - you definitely don't look old enough!

I woke up this morning to sore arms...
    Good luck on sore muscles. I need to try that sometime. LOL

Good point about how they feel. I'm not sure which I feel better in yet. I'll have to keep that in mind though. and yes, I am old enough, hey, I'm a grandmother already. My daughter who will be 23 in a few days gave me the greatest gift ever, my Alyssa. She will be 2 in October. She is my sunshine.

• Quote: My daughter who will be 23 in a few days gave me the greatest gift ever, my Alyssa. She will be 2 in October. She is my sunshine.
    she is so cute!!!! Congrats! and no you do NOT look like a grandmother!
  • Kelsey, your grandaughter is beautiful. I like the strappy, but I think the sling back are more professional looking. You look amazing!!

Christina, I was very hungry in the beginning(mostly in the afternoon). I made it through with celery and Walden Farms Peanut Butter. I used celery as a free food(not everyone agrees). I also sometimes just ate some of the salt. Also try drinking about 8-10 oz. of your water.

The street dance last night was a lot of fun. A bunch of us girls did the cotton eyed joe. Had a ball. One of my friends is on IP also and has lost 50 lbs. We were both getting lots of compliments and wide eyed stares. Loved it!!! Also, lots of questions about how we did it.
  • Quote: DSW - clearance! $28
    My daughter who will be 23 in a few days gave me the greatest gift ever, my Alyssa. She will be 2 in October. She is my sunshine.
    I wonder if there is a DSW in Texas, I'll look them up in a minute. Your granddaughter is a doll, so sweet, thanks for sharing.
  • Weird hunger not like a craving
    Quote:
    I haven't read the posts from yesterday and today yet, but I thought I'd send this out first. On Friday I got extremely hungry in the afternoon at work, so I ate the emergency IP bar I keep stashed in my purse. Went ahead and had my regular dinner and IP snack, so I ended up having 4 packets that day rather than 3...better than cheating I guess. Same thing happened to me yesterday. We were at a birthday bbq lunch (for which I brought my own IP-friendly salad) all day and I once again got extremely hungry in the afternoon. I had forgotten to replace my emergency IP bar, so I ended up eating about 15 tortilla chips. Not good. Has anyone else had this happen? This wasn't about giving in to a craving, it was more like hunger shakes! This is the first time I've had this happen since I've been on IP. So weird!

I had this happen starting around week 12. In my case, I had lost about 30% of my ORIGINAL body weight so I am not certain which was doing it.

I know exactly what you mean by the hunger. It is definitely not a craving. You actually don't care to eat anything in particular and the idea of the added protein packet (restricted is just fine) or another protein meal is GREAT! You really are feeling hungry. I found it really did get bad physically if ignored it.

I know that around this time frame those in ketosis make a major adaptation to using ketones for fuel and it can cause some chemistry to change. You are also more efficient at burning the fat from what I have read. This can cause your body to balk a little because "you are taking to much" and it starts to send signals for you to supply something else. The problem is, if you don't take care of yourself, if your metabolism is a bit faster, you could burn some protein you want to keep i.e. muscle.

At the time that was going on with me, I spoke with my coach and was told not to alter anything. Now, keep in mind I was having NO occasional veggies and NO restricted foods and hadn't cheated at all even though I was on week 12 of the program. I stuck it out, didn't change a thing, suffered horribly, and went into a slow loss afterward.

My advice to you, eat the extra packets, try not to add too many of them as restricted items. Try not to have any other variations to the week. Track your results and see what happens. If you are still losing steadily, as you were, you are fine. If not, you are better off than having cheated. If you stall, back the packets off a bit. Maybe a 1/2 packet portion would be the key or a packet every other day? You could, instead of packets, choose to add a hard boiled egg or small slice of lean meat (no more than 3oz). This would add animal protein which is less bio available than the packet proteins but it will also be a little more cost effective.

I increased my omega oils a lot during that time. It was a good substitute but, when I look at it, I was still adding about 120 calories a day in the added oil and NO protein. Maybe packets would have been better.
  • Quote: HAHAHAHAH... and that was only the stretch!!!
    Thank goodness... I can stop now.

Quote: Go for the strappy ones.

You're a shoe-in for that job, Kelsey.

You're as corny as I am. (No, that wasn't supposed to be another foot joke.)
  • Quote: I wonder if there is a DSW in Texas, I'll look them up in a minute. Your granddaughter is a doll, so sweet, thanks for sharing.

there's a dsw in georgetown off of highway 29 if you're ever out that way
  • Kelsey: They both look great! but I like the slingbacks just a touch more. -dina
  • Quote: there's a dsw in georgetown off of highway 29 if you're ever out that way
    Thanks!!! I will be going to Waco in a couple of weeks, I cut through to IH35 by way of 29. I'll have to leave a couple of hours early to have a look. I also found I can order online if I need a fix before or after then.