Birth Control And IP

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • here ya go, chat away about this subject here now

    i'm on implanon, bled for 3 weeks straight, it has now started to get less frequent and heavy. there is hope!!
  • Oh my... this is not what I'm wanting to hear! BC keeps me nice and regular (and short). I've heard hints of people having monster weeks, but this bleed-for-days-on-end is scary!

    I need to know what to expect... other experiences please?!
  • Yes I also said while burning the stored fat you are releasing toxins and hormones that are trapped in there...Estrogen being one of them... so it is quite normal that your cycle will be all thrown out of whack but patience as it will regulate itself without having to use BC pills (if you so chose)
  • I am on BC but still it is out of wack. This last time though it started only 2 days early, maybe its because I was on phase 2??
  • I was just thinking about this topic the other day and wanted to ask about something and totally forgot until I saw this topic. I personally haven't had any change in TOM since starting IP. I am not on any form of bc so I was curious if maybe being on bc has anything to with experiencing irregularities with TOM. Maybe it's completely unrelated and I've just been extremely lucky, but it made me wonder what other people's experiences were.
  • I've had Mirena (IUD) since the end of January 2009. I haven't had a regular period since late February 2009. My second week on IP I actually had some spotting and discharge, but not a full period. Since then I've been period-free again.
  • I've had three periods since I've been on IP -- first two started about 5 days early, were heavy and lasted longer than ever...this one started early, but has been really light.

    I said this in the other thread, but my OBGYN was really supportive of the diet itself. (It was nice reassurance) He also echoed concerns about BC pills, but said that a NuvaRing or IUD would be effective. Said that a pill has to metabolize and that a more 'local' delivery system shouldn't be as susceptible to the changes in estrogen, etc. Not sure if that makes sense, I have no medical background or skill...
  • I haven't been on any BC. For me, my cycle on IP has been crazy! I used to be a 27-29 day gal. Now, I am a 21 to 28 day girl. I can't find a regular schedule. Lots of pain and cramps. And, I go forever! Usually, 10 days. It makes it seem like I am always... ON!
  • i also forgot the mention the fact that with the implanon(which i've had since 6 weeks after my son was born so about april 09) i had my period for about 6 months out of the first 9 months i was on it. non-stop periods. then it became regular-kind of. and then when i began ip, it got all crazy again. now that i'm in week 14, i have significantly less heavy periods and much shorter ones, but they do come more often, like every 2-3 weeks. to me, this is much better than a full blown period for months on end
  • I thought i was the only one! Since i have started IP, my periods have been ridiculous. I've been on Seasonique since November, and started IP in April. I just had a period that lasted ten freaking days and it was ****. I'm not supposed to ovulate (ovarian cysts) and my gynecologist wants my period suppressed as much as possible (endometriosis). I'm thinking IP isn't helping those two situations. Is there a chance i'm ovulating even on birth control?
  • Quote: I thought i was the only one! Since i have started IP, my periods have been ridiculous. I've been on Seasonique since November, and started IP in April. I just had a period that lasted ten freaking days and it was ****. I'm not supposed to ovulate (ovarian cysts) and my gynecologist wants my period suppressed as much as possible (endometriosis). I'm thinking IP isn't helping those two situations. Is there a chance i'm ovulating even on birth control?
    It is highly likely only your doctor or other trained medical person can answer this accurately.

    Based on what I have been told in the past by my GYNO, the answer for me was YES. If my BC was wrong, the wrong dose or hormones for my body, then it would not be supressing ovulation. I also develop cysts and they tried for years to correct it. (Unfortunately I can't use BC to control the cysts or endometriosis. After trying all of the hormonal BC, developing severe headaches, seeing neurologist and rheumatologist, then allergist, we learned I am unable to tolerate birth control of any kind. I can't even use the IUD because of what they impregnate it with chemically.)
  • Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering about this just yesterday because I noticed a change. I don't track TOM because its been so inconsistent since I switched to Mirena a year ago...
  • Quote: It is highly likely only your doctor or other trained medical person can answer this accurately.

    Based on what I have been told in the past by my GYNO, the answer for me was YES. If my BC was wrong, the wrong dose or hormones for my body, then it would not be supressing ovulation. I also develop cysts and they tried for years to correct it. (Unfortunately I can't use BC to control the cysts or endometriosis. After trying all of the hormonal BC, developing severe headaches, seeing neurologist and rheumatologist, then allergist, we learned I am unable to tolerate birth control of any kind. I can't even use the IUD because of what they impregnate it with chemically.)

    I really have to call my doctor now. I'm a little un-nerved lol. Do you know if when we enter and stay in phase 4 if the effectiveness of our BC goes back to normal?? My IP coach did tell me when i was signing up that the diet tends to make people really fertile. I thought it was kind of funny then, now, not so much. Eek!
  • Quote: I really have to call my doctor now. I'm a little un-nerved lol. Do you know if when we enter and stay in phase 4 if the effectiveness of our BC goes back to normal?? My IP coach did tell me when i was signing up that the diet tends to make people really fertile. I thought it was kind of funny then, now, not so much. Eek!
    I don't know. I haven't reached phase 4 yet which leaves me "waiting to see" as well. Maybe Novak, BevS, ChaplainsWifey, or one of the others who have gone to phase 4 would know? I'd say ask Jordanna but, I think we all know how lucky she has been!
  • I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I was at the gyno today, and told her that BC is less effective on this diet, and she was totally stumped. She completely gets that it would make someone more fertile if they weren't on BC, but doesn't understand how BC wouldn't work as long as it's absorbed (she said those with gastric bypass, etc., have a harder time absorbing).

    Is there any scientific data that proves that BC is less effective due to this diet? She didn't say the info was wrong, but was curious to see the medical explanation that's been given. I told her if I found it, I'd send it her way.

    Anyone?