3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Birth Control And IP (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/208415-birth-control-ip.html)

mamaerinb 07-28-2010 04:12 PM

Birth Control And IP

here ya go, chat away about this subject here now :)

i'm on implanon, bled for 3 weeks straight, it has now started to get less frequent and heavy. there is hope!!:lol:

OnMyWayForGood 07-28-2010 04:17 PM

Oh my... this is not what I'm wanting to hear! BC keeps me nice and regular (and short). I've heard hints of people having monster weeks, but this bleed-for-days-on-end is scary!

I need to know what to expect... other experiences please?!

deinekatze 07-28-2010 07:32 PM

Yes I also said while burning the stored fat you are releasing toxins and hormones that are trapped in there...Estrogen being one of them... so it is quite normal that your cycle will be all thrown out of whack but patience as it will regulate itself without having to use BC pills (if you so chose)

pitakitten 07-28-2010 08:40 PM

I am on BC but still it is out of wack. This last time though it started only 2 days early, maybe its because I was on phase 2??

yelliemom 07-29-2010 12:07 AM

I was just thinking about this topic the other day and wanted to ask about something and totally forgot until I saw this topic. I personally haven't had any change in TOM since starting IP. I am not on any form of bc so I was curious if maybe being on bc has anything to with experiencing irregularities with TOM. Maybe it's completely unrelated and I've just been extremely lucky, but it made me wonder what other people's experiences were.

Sweetstina 07-29-2010 12:46 AM

I've had Mirena (IUD) since the end of January 2009. I haven't had a regular period since late February 2009. My second week on IP I actually had some spotting and discharge, but not a full period. Since then I've been period-free again.

JessicaCourez 07-29-2010 02:31 AM

I've had three periods since I've been on IP -- first two started about 5 days early, were heavy and lasted longer than ever...this one started early, but has been really light.

I said this in the other thread, but my OBGYN was really supportive of the diet itself. (It was nice reassurance) He also echoed concerns about BC pills, but said that a NuvaRing or IUD would be effective. Said that a pill has to metabolize and that a more 'local' delivery system shouldn't be as susceptible to the changes in estrogen, etc. Not sure if that makes sense, I have no medical background or skill...

showgirlaz 07-29-2010 02:53 AM

I haven't been on any BC. For me, my cycle on IP has been crazy! I used to be a 27-29 day gal. Now, I am a 21 to 28 day girl. I can't find a regular schedule. Lots of pain and cramps. And, I go forever! Usually, 10 days. It makes it seem like I am always... ON!

mamaerinb 07-29-2010 10:40 AM

i also forgot the mention the fact that with the implanon(which i've had since 6 weeks after my son was born so about april 09) i had my period for about 6 months out of the first 9 months i was on it. non-stop periods. then it became regular-kind of. and then when i began ip, it got all crazy again. now that i'm in week 14, i have significantly less heavy periods and much shorter ones, but they do come more often, like every 2-3 weeks. to me, this is much better than a full blown period for months on end:)

BrittStar027 07-29-2010 10:57 PM

I thought i was the only one! Since i have started IP, my periods have been ridiculous. I've been on Seasonique since November, and started IP in April. I just had a period that lasted ten freaking days and it was ****. I'm not supposed to ovulate (ovarian cysts) and my gynecologist wants my period suppressed as much as possible (endometriosis). I'm thinking IP isn't helping those two situations. Is there a chance i'm ovulating even on birth control?

showgirlaz 07-30-2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 3411203)
I thought i was the only one! Since i have started IP, my periods have been ridiculous. I've been on Seasonique since November, and started IP in April. I just had a period that lasted ten freaking days and it was ****. I'm not supposed to ovulate (ovarian cysts) and my gynecologist wants my period suppressed as much as possible (endometriosis). I'm thinking IP isn't helping those two situations. Is there a chance i'm ovulating even on birth control?

It is highly likely only your doctor or other trained medical person can answer this accurately.

Based on what I have been told in the past by my GYNO, the answer for me was YES. If my BC was wrong, the wrong dose or hormones for my body, then it would not be supressing ovulation. I also develop cysts and they tried for years to correct it. (Unfortunately I can't use BC to control the cysts or endometriosis. After trying all of the hormonal BC, developing severe headaches, seeing neurologist and rheumatologist, then allergist, we learned I am unable to tolerate birth control of any kind. I can't even use the IUD because of what they impregnate it with chemically.)

lookin for loss 07-30-2010 10:18 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering about this just yesterday because I noticed a change. I don't track TOM because its been so inconsistent since I switched to Mirena a year ago...

BrittStar027 07-30-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3411427)
It is highly likely only your doctor or other trained medical person can answer this accurately.

Based on what I have been told in the past by my GYNO, the answer for me was YES. If my BC was wrong, the wrong dose or hormones for my body, then it would not be supressing ovulation. I also develop cysts and they tried for years to correct it. (Unfortunately I can't use BC to control the cysts or endometriosis. After trying all of the hormonal BC, developing severe headaches, seeing neurologist and rheumatologist, then allergist, we learned I am unable to tolerate birth control of any kind. I can't even use the IUD because of what they impregnate it with chemically.)

I really have to call my doctor now. I'm a little un-nerved lol. Do you know if when we enter and stay in phase 4 if the effectiveness of our BC goes back to normal?? My IP coach did tell me when i was signing up that the diet tends to make people really fertile. I thought it was kind of funny then, now, not so much. Eek!

showgirlaz 07-30-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 3411754)
I really have to call my doctor now. I'm a little un-nerved lol. Do you know if when we enter and stay in phase 4 if the effectiveness of our BC goes back to normal?? My IP coach did tell me when i was signing up that the diet tends to make people really fertile. I thought it was kind of funny then, now, not so much. Eek!

I don't know. I haven't reached phase 4 yet which leaves me "waiting to see" as well. Maybe Novak, BevS, ChaplainsWifey, or one of the others who have gone to phase 4 would know? I'd say ask Jordanna but, I think we all know how lucky she has been! ;)

OnMyWayForGood 08-09-2010 10:06 PM

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I was at the gyno today, and told her that BC is less effective on this diet, and she was totally stumped. She completely gets that it would make someone more fertile if they weren't on BC, but doesn't understand how BC wouldn't work as long as it's absorbed (she said those with gastric bypass, etc., have a harder time absorbing).

Is there any scientific data that proves that BC is less effective due to this diet? She didn't say the info was wrong, but was curious to see the medical explanation that's been given. I told her if I found it, I'd send it her way.

Anyone?

:)

sillyputty 08-09-2010 10:11 PM

I'm not taking BC and when I first started IP my period was barely nothing... I started again and again barely anything... I am okay with this coming from someone who is normally heavy for several days. Interesting how this has changed my period hmmmm.... good thing I am not worried about getting pregnant or that would be pretty stressful.

I'm svelting! 08-09-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnMyWayForGood (Post 3429176)
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I was at the gyno today, and told her that BC is less effective on this diet, and she was totally stumped. She completely gets that it would make someone more fertile if they weren't on BC, but doesn't understand how BC wouldn't work as long as it's absorbed (she said those with gastric bypass, etc., have a harder time absorbing).

Is there any scientific data that proves that BC is less effective due to this diet? She didn't say the info was wrong, but was curious to see the medical explanation that's been given. I told her if I found it, I'd send it her way.

Can't help with a medical reference. IMO, this is a question for an endocrinologist. The endocrine glands and hormones are interconnected and interdependent: pituitary, pineal, thyroid, pancreas, adrenal, ovary/testes. A hormone from one gland creates a reaction in another gland which then adjusts its hormone, and so on.

If you alter what's going on with one, e.g. decreasing insulin release from the pancreas on IP, it's not surprising that something will happen with the other glands and the hormones they secrete.

Midwifemom 08-10-2010 08:53 PM

Carla,
Have you considered the Paragard IUD? No hormones, so no chemicals. Just a thought.

kplus80 08-10-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnMyWayForGood (Post 3429176)

Anyone?

:)

My coach (when I had one), had an RN do our initial meeting and she said it was due to the extra estrogen released from the fat. Don't know if that's right or not.. :shrug:

showgirlaz 08-11-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midwifemom (Post 3430937)
Carla,
Have you considered the Paragard IUD? No hormones, so no chemicals. Just a thought.

I may look into that although, truthfully, I haven't been on birth control in nearly a decade and I like how I feel. I also haven't had any issues or scares. And, I wouldn't be unhappy having children.

My sisters are in the same place as me with their birth control sensitivity issues. They each have 2 children spaced 8 years apart, none of whom were surprises. Even my mother managed to have four of us 4 years apart and then none for 19 years after the youngest and, prior to her hysterectomy. It seems possible to be sexually responsible and to not need the added medication. Given how much better I feel and knowing I don't want any unnecessary medical risks, I might just leave well enough alone. :)

nitenic 08-12-2010 11:54 AM

Here we go again...

I'm in week 14 of IP. My period started today with 10 days of active pills left. Yay. That's the first time it happened this early (month 3 it was with 7 pills left and lasted for 8 days) and in consecutive months. Month 1 my period was longer than usual (10 days) and month 2 was normal with painful cramps.

I originally typed more but apparently forgot to hit post last time so I'm keeping this one short!

deinekatze 08-12-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitenic (Post 3433470)
I'm in week 14 of IP. My period started today with 10 days of active pills left. Yay. That's the first time it happened this early (month 3 it was with 7 pills left and lasted for 8 days) and in consecutive months. Month 1 my period was longer than usual (10 days) and month 2 was normal with painful cramps.

I originally typed more but apparently forgot to hit post last time so I'm keeping this one short!

Well I too had an excruciatingly painful time this month so... you just never know when your body kicks in lol

nitenic 08-12-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deinekatze (Post 3433491)
Well I too had an excruciatingly painful time this month so... you just never know when your body kicks in lol

Ain't that the truth lol!! I'm almost excited this time though cuz I've finally realized that each time this happens, I see a significant change in my body composition -- body fat percentage does a major drop, clothing size changes, and at the very end a decent number of pounds go away. I've flown through the 240s and can already see the changes in my body so I'm sure that's why my body is freaking out. After an extended stay in the 250s I will gladly take it! :carrot:

deinekatze 08-12-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitenic (Post 3433512)
Ain't that the truth lol!! I'm almost excited this time though cuz I've finally realized that each time this happens, I see a significant change in my body composition -- body fat percentage does a major drop, clothing size changes, and at the very end a decent number of pounds go away. I've flown through the 240s and can already see the changes in my body so I'm sure that's why my body is freaking out. After an extended stay in the 250s I will gladly take it! :carrot:

Makes sense. the pain is because of the hormones going wild (being released from the fat FINALLY) so yeah, BRING IT! hahahaha

nitenic 08-19-2010 01:55 PM

Okay, I'm on day 8 of the cycle that started early, with 2 birth control pills left in my current pack. (My TOM should've been next week but it started last week when I had 10 pills remaining.)

Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and start my next pack of pills on Sunday instead of being off for a week. I usually have the most cravings the week I don't take the pill so I think it might be a good way to avoid that. But who knows? I'm just typing out loud here. :?:

showgirlaz 08-19-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitenic (Post 3444150)
Okay, I'm on day 8 of the cycle that started early, with 2 birth control pills left in my current pack. (My TOM should've been next week but it started last week when I had 10 pills remaining.)

Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and start my next pack of pills on Sunday instead of being off for a week. I usually have the most cravings the week I don't take the pill so I think it might be a good way to avoid that. But who knows? I'm just typing out loud here. :?:

I don't know. I might call the gyno and ask her or her nurse practitioner/PA/nurse.

I know it is a pain to have your cycle changing and doing weird things. Boy do I know, I just had mine 2x this month and both are 10days :(

am not on BCP so I can't skip it the next time. Even if I were, I just hate to interfere with what my body might be trying to correct or change. Just me and what I am thinking for my body. If I were on BCP, I might talk to the doctor and get her feedback before making my decision.

I'm svelting! 08-19-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitenic (Post 3444150)

There are women, who with their doctor's knowledge and okay, do back to back packages of BCPs. It depends on the pills and your body. I can't remember what the protocol is called. When I remember I'll edit the post so you can google it.

nitenic 08-19-2010 08:56 PM

Thanks Carla! I may try to give them a call tomorrow and see if someone actually calls me back. Does PMS drive you crazy? I find myself very hormonal right now.... angry, sad, angry, angry. After a brief crying jag, everything/one gets on my nerves :devil:

LCW - I have in years past taken pills continuously for 3-4 months to prevent TOM from coming because it used to cause debilitating back pain (endometriosis). Since my body is kind of doing what it wants to right now anyway, I doubt it will make much difference. Or maybe it will get me back on schedule. :?: Thanks for the feedback!

OnMyWayForGood 08-20-2010 02:44 PM

I was never regular before bc, so my gyno ok'd me to take two pill packs back to back, as it creates a more normal flowing time. Sometimes, when I need to make it convenient, I even take three, but usually my symptoms come on stronger and sooner that way, so two is good for me. It depends on your body and doctor, of course.

I am on my sugar pill week right now after three packs... although I have been spotting daily for the past three weeks, and today should (typically, non-dieting) be my heaviest day, I have nothing. Maybe it's over after three weeks! Either way, I'm going to do two packs this time and see if IP does anything different with that.

I realize I contributed no answers to anything here. Just my experience!

Midwifemom 08-20-2010 03:36 PM

As a women's healthcare professional, I will just kick in here and say that so much depends on which pill you're taking, if you're taking it the same time every day, how long you've been on it for, etc. Back to backing OCP's has been around forever, and again, depends on your pill and your body as to what will happen. Very individual. Sorry no real answers, but your health care provider can help there, they know you best.

nitenic 08-20-2010 04:41 PM

Just got off the phone with my ob/gyn's office and they said I could start the new pack on Sunday. The lady who called me back said I should probably come in for an appointment because a low carb diet shouldn't affect my cycle. :rofl:

She then put me on hold to schedule that appointment. Let's just say we got disconnected after that. :dunno: :D

I'm svelting! 09-08-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deinekatze (Post 3408817)
Yes I also said while burning the stored fat you are releasing toxins and hormones that are trapped in there...Estrogen being one of them... so it is quite normal that your cycle will be all thrown out of whack but patience as it will regulate itself without having to use BC pills (if you so chose)

This came up on the daily chat recently ... CUSU's coach told her that belly fat is mostly "brown fat" and holds a lot of estrogen. Tough choice ... lose the belly or have BC work as expected. :?:

Tues. Sept. 7

deinekatze 09-25-2010 02:11 PM

BUMP

People are asking about this again

elle12 09-25-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deinekatze (Post 3408817)
while burning the stored fat you are releasing toxins and hormones that are trapped in there...Estrogen being one of them... so it is quite normal that your cycle will be all thrown out of whack but patience as it will regulate itself without having to use BC pills (if you so chose)

It is a relief to know others have had similiar experiences and gotten back to normal because I only had 13 days between my periods this month. Have been on IP for approx 3 months and this month has been a hormonal mess--I have ALWAYS been very regular (28 days) and do not take birth control.

On a good note: this second cycle seems to have gotten me past my plateau.;)

the wonder cat 11-13-2010 08:48 PM

>bump<

Medicmom734 11-13-2010 09:04 PM

I am one of those that take back to back pill packs and let myself get a period about every 4 - 5 months. It works well for me. I was having some hormone concerns and had taken my pill normally for 3 months prior to starting IP and got a regular period each time. 4 days, every 28.
5 days into IP, I started spotting mid cycle, then got my full blown period, the bleeding continued for 2 weeks, then 3 days off, then I began bleeding again. I started a new pack to try and stop it, but it didn't work and I ended up with bleeding for 5 of my 6 weeks on IP so far.
I am now 2 days period free.......and hoping that it stays away for a little bit, and praying to god its not gone for another reason! LOL!

queenmimi 11-14-2010 05:55 AM

I'm a nurse and I think that if anyone has any concerns about the diet and periods, questions would be best answered by your PCP. I agree with midwife, there are so many different kinds of BCP that effect your body (and each body is different) in many different ways. Yes, losing fat will release estrogen (since estrogen is stored in fat cells) and estrogen released can effect your periods for sure.

wuv2bloved 11-09-2011 12:46 AM

I've noticed over the last few days people concerned with TOM, I found this thread in the older threads but thought it might help some who are having issues. so I bumped it

auntdee 11-09-2011 10:06 AM

The way that IP changes our TOM, I would call your Doctor. Having PCOS makes my TOM come maybe 3-4 times a year, and now it's every 3-4 weeks. And they are very heavy. I'm not on BCP, but if your starting early it could be messing with ovulation also. BCP work too ways, they don't allow eggs to be released, but if they do the BCP also controll your lining to be too thin for the egg to implant it self. If you want to make sure you don't get pregnant CALL you DR to discuss.

Chix 01-30-2012 10:56 PM

Okay...here's my question...is my birth control, which is an oral contraceptive, going to be LESS effective while on this diet?!?! I had weird spotting when I did the Dukan Diet (low fat/lowcarb) and I understand why that was happening but to hear that and OC might not be AS effective is just mind boggling. Especially since people are saying OC might not be as effective but nuvaring etc is. I had two friends in the past two weeks tell me that they had a dream I was pregnant so now I'm extra paranoid! I'm afraid I won't even know when I'm ovulating bc my usually very regular cycle, is going to be all messed up. I am going to go to my OBGYN but I am just curious if there are any health professionals who can chime in.