Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #346  

S/C/G: 148/111.5/115

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph26 View Post
I made it through day 2 despite to delicious array of homemade baked goods at my meeting this morning. I never realized how much I loved carbs, or really just food in general. I have a weigh in on Monday...hopefully its good!
I feel your pain, Steph, and wish for you a good weigh-in. I am surrounded here by leftover cupcakes, baklava and other goodies from my son's birthday yesterday. I'm freezing a few in small batches to have as a treat when I reach my goal. Of course by then I probably won't be interested in junk anymore.

Right. Ha!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #347  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsnwv View Post
Hadn't thought about my BP before - I walked over 2 miles last night including hills and a little bit of jogging. After my cool-down stretching, I got soooo lightheaded! If my husband had been there, I would have asked him to check my BP - I'm sure it was very low. I wish I had thought to have my bloodwork done before I started this diet - I bet I would have seen some real improvement there.
Yes, several of us have reported on improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc. The blood test I had right after the diet showed a significant drop in cholesterol levels (down 64 total.) Problem was the HDL (good cholesterol) was also down. The nutritionist said that was normal for the diet, and it would bounce back up. Just had blood work done at the office, and can report that two months later, it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4972 View Post
I got very confused as I was reading all of the posts about avoiding restricted foods the first two weeks and/or to lose more quickly b/c I was never told this and my Phase 1 sheet has no mention of it - only to limit restricted foods to 1 per day. I am currently on Ideal to Go b/c I do not have a clinic nearby, so I emailed my coach. I feel his response has a lot of pertinent information that I wanted to share with all of you. Here is his response...I hope it helps:

On the message boards some people will say all types of different things. There are some people who will do no restricted for a week to help more with cellulite. It is not our protocol and really is a complete deviation from the program. There was a period of time when we were endorsing this for a brief time frame but come to find out it actually was sending certain folks into an arrhythmia and even caused some heart palpitations. I would not recommend doing this. Also, please don't weight yourself everyday or even every other day. The number can become something to obsess over when really the program shows the most in the inches lost. With giving your body the proper amount of very good protein most people's muscles actually get a bit larger or denser which will offset the scale to make you think you think you are not progressing as you should be when reality is, you are right on schedule. More over, there will be weeks when you will have less loss then others and some when you will lose a lot so really you should average out your weeks. With stress and female cycles effecting water retention truly the best thing you can do is continue to follow the program, weigh and measure yourself and the rest will take care of itself. PROMISE : )
Interesting. Not sure I agree that folks reporting the delay on restricteds should be classified as "people saying all types of different things," or that it is a "complete deviation from the program." I'm sure many received the same direction I did: "Please Note: For maximum results, it is strongly recommended that NO RESTRICTED FOODS are consumed during a dieter’s FIRST 2-3 WEEKS." I know the program is "tweaked" from time to time. For example, the Phase 3 protocol for some used to say that all vegetables (even restricteds) could be added back at this point. My nutritionist/coach said she pointed out to the IP folks that this flew in the face of trying to achieve a single insulin spike after breakfast only, so they removed that from the Phase 3 protocol sheet. So it is quite possible that we don't have the latest protocol posted. Perhaps someone can get it... Jordanna used to do that for us.

I have mixed feelings about the weighing in, and would say that I think it's up to the individual. For some (myself included), it's a motivator, for others it just adds stress. I've said before that there is nothing magical about a "week" in this diet. If you weigh daily, you can start the seven day count from any day you choose, and your loss for that "week" may be more or less than your official weigh-in.

You need to look at where you started, and where you are at any given time. Pounds lost per week is a metric... one of many on this diet. Inches lost, how your clothes fit, your BP and cholesterol levels, how you feel, your ability to do things you couldn't do before... these are all important results, and it doesn't really matter what day you notice or achieve them. This isn't "Biggest Loser," and no one is going to hand you a bucket of cash for losing faster than other people on the boards, or for hitting a certain number for the week. Your body will respond to the protocol (and any deviations there from) in a manner that is optimal for you. It's more impressive to tell someone you've lost 20 pounds since you last saw them, than to report how much you lost this week. WE watch those metrics because we are all heavily engaged in this weight loss activity, but they don't matter much in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyputty View Post
OMG WannabeIP! You are sooo close to your goal WOW EXCELLENT! You are my inspiration!
Let's give Wannabe her due... she's lost MORE than her goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
did you read the part that every year he does 2 weeks of phase 1, I had either read that somewhere and forgotten or never heard it before but thought it to be interesting.
Yes... I have posted that approach in a couple of places recently. If you Google Mike's name, he has several really good articles out there, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Hey everyone! HELLO! I've missed you all while I was gone. I am back and trying to catch up. I will do my best but, WOW, Ya'll had a lot happening!

Here is a bit of the latest on me for those curious

I have lost my "travel weight of 13 pounds.. and an extra 1.5 to boot." "WHEW" I am rather amazed that I had so much to drop. I am equally delighted that IP did it again and, 4 short days later, I am at a weight less than when I left. I can't wait for my next weigh in.

I have been in ketosis strongly for over a week now. I finally am feeling the way I did when I first began the plan. YEAH!! I am so happy to not be in that rut of a place still.

SO, for all of you who haven't been on the program 8 months yet but might need to be, my tip for you is, be patient with yourself. The going does become a bit dull and very slow but steady. It seems that if you can get past it, you do get that zippy burning feeling again. At least, I have had it since July 17 and nearly 2 weeks later, it isn't fading yet.

My body is happily losing and, my real victory! My size 10 pants are too lose, my size 8 slide on nicely and I finally look nice in my size 28 Paige shorts and jeans. Those were my last... gonna make this work things.

I know I still have the pounds to drop and I know that some of the change to come will be from toning and exercise. I am just so grateful that I found something that worked at helping me improve my health, diet, weight, and choices.
Really good to hear, Carla. I'm so pleased for you! Honestly, you are so close. The motivation of your recent results will have you there in no time.

And I'm glad you had a great vacation, but I'm happy that you've returned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie View Post
Well, I survived. Whew. Surrounded by whipped sweet potatoes, honey-dipped chicken wings and ribs smothered in sauce, I stuck to my "heart" salad with grilled trout on top. Then home and while everyone else is devouring celebratory cupcakes, I am drinking my virtuous water with lemon and ice and enjoying my raspberry/chocolate bar. One tempting dinner down, several more in the next few weeks to go.

I just hope it gets easier. Right now I would KILL for one of those cupcakes.
You can have your celebratory cupcakes in Phase 4, and they will taste that much better.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #348  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Good morning all- every time I read the newest pages of the postings I am so inspired by you all! (GROUP HUG!!!!)
I checked by BP last night before bed and it was 96/65.. I quickly drank 2 glasses of water with sea salt, and went to bed.
Took My BP just now and it went up to 112/78!! whew!!! I feel SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I'm just sharing this in case someone else experiences a drop in BP..
When I was heavier, a year ago my BP was 140/90 and felt it... whew! glad that's over!! I can't wait for my chol levels to drop ( 190 Hdl Chol at present)

have a great day everyone! ~Rosemary~
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #349  

S/C/G: 173/162/140

Height: 5'7"

Default First Weigh IN yesterday

My first week is down and so is my weight! 7.5 So excited but a little scared about my weekend. I did kind of hold up last week not planning outings etc but this weekend will be full of temptation. UG.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #350  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Interesting. Not sure I agree that folks reporting the delay on restricteds should be classified as "people saying all types of different things," or that it is a "complete deviation from the program." I'm sure many received the same direction I did: "Please Note: For maximum results, it is strongly recommended that NO RESTRICTED FOODS are consumed during a dieter’s FIRST 2-3 WEEKS." I know the program is "tweaked" from time to time. For example, the Phase 3 protocol for some used to say that all vegetables (even restricteds) could be added back at this point. My nutritionist/coach said she pointed out to the IP folks that this flew in the face of trying to achieve a single insulin spike after breakfast only, so they removed that from the Phase 3 protocol sheet. So it is quite possible that we don't have the latest protocol posted. Perhaps someone can get it... Jordanna used to do that for us.
I don't think it was meant the way you are interpreting it. I think they are basically saying that on the boards, there are some people that deviate from the protocol (whether it is an individual decision or the clinic's decision). The information I posted was straight from the company, so I thought some of you might like to know that the protocol was changed about 2 months ago. Here is the Phase 1 document
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #351  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4972 View Post
I don't think it was meant the way you are interpreting it. I think they are basically saying that on the boards, there are some people that deviate from the protocol (whether it is an individual decision or the clinic's decision). The information I posted was straight from the company, so I thought some of you might like to know that the protocol was changed about 2 months ago. Here is the Phase 1 document
I understand. It is correct that a lot of information and misinformation flies around the boards--without question. But I think the direction re: restricteds is a different case. The guidance was stated by IP to lots of people who followed the guidelines to the letter, and then it was changed by IP. Having not seen the new version (as I am off Phase 1), I was surprised to see it characterized as a deviation from the protocol; it wasn't a deviation from MY protocol!

I believe IP continues to tweak and improve the protocol as more people are on the diet and they amass more data. I consider that a good thing. But it does get confusing when different versions are in circulation. Perhaps they should date the revisions when they come out...

Thanks for posting the new one.

As I go back and look at the language again, I think they are referring to offshoots of the program that occasionally crop up, such as the cellulite and boot camp variations that people mention. I think the "To-Go" coach is saying that these are NOT official protocols endorsed by IP. This is ALSO confusing, because the Phase 3 Explanation Jordanna posted on June 21 (attributed to Mike Ciell), does mention a Cellulite Protocol. So, go figure!

Last edited by Novak; 07-30-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #352  
:)

S/C/G: 222/195/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Hey everyone! HELLO! I've missed you all while I was gone. I am back and trying to catch up. I will do my best but, WOW, Ya'll had a lot happening!
Carla, remember when I came home from the cruise and had the same issues! I think it was mostly water, but like you, 4 days later on PH1 and I had dropped over 10 lbs! So welcome back. We missed you.

Quote:
Well, I survived. Whew. Surrounded by whipped sweet potatoes, honey-dipped chicken wings and ribs smothered in sauce, I stuck to my "heart" salad with grilled trout on top. Then home and while everyone else is devouring celebratory cupcakes, I am drinking my virtuous water with lemon and ice and enjoying my raspberry/chocolate bar. One tempting dinner down, several more in the next few weeks to go.

I just hope it gets easier. Right now I would KILL for one of those cupcakes.
Meggie, My daughter is getting married in April. Last night we had "bridesmaid dress shopping" one of the girls (size 4) showed up with cupcakes for everyone. It was hard not to join into the celebration, after all this is my baby girls wedding. However I NEED to look GREAT for that wedding, and that cupcake WAS not the way to get there, so I kept my eye on the prize, and didn't touch them (other then to pass them out of course). I feel ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoSun View Post
Weigh in today. Down 2.2 lbs. This year I can't wait to go downtown tommorrow night. I'm hoping to get plenty of excersize dancing!!!
Congrats to everyone on the losses.
Hi my long-time friend! It's so nice to see you. It nice to hear about your lifestyle changes! You're still doing great, you're an inspiration to everyone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
NSV: Today, for the first time ever in my adult life, I wore a skirt which only came to the top of my knees. This site is such an incredibly supportive place to be! Thank you everyone for sharing your NSV's!
Love it! Great NSV! You must be very proud. We're all proud for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyroo View Post
My first week is down and so is my weight! 7.5 So excited but a little scared about my weekend. I did kind of hold up last week not planning outings etc but this weekend will be full of temptation. UG.
Great 1st week, you'll do fine. If/when you feel any temptation, just remember how you felt when you saw your weight down 7.5 lbs, and it will keep you strong.

I've now lost 44.75, every time I feel the urge I think of how great I feel when I get on that scale it has moved DOWN, and if I cheat a little I'm sure it will not go DOWN, but UP, and I can't afford that in any sense of the word.

Last edited by Kelsey; 07-30-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #353  

Quote:
Meggie, My daughter is getting married in April. Last night we had "bridesmaid dress shopping" one of the girls (size 4) showed up with cupcakes for everyone. It was hard not to join into the celebration, after all this is my baby girls wedding. However I NEED to look GREAT for that wedding, and that cupcake WAS not the way to get there, so I kept my eye on the prize, and didn't touch them (other then to pass them out of course). I feel ya.
Thanks, Kelsey! Wish you had been at dinner with me! I know you will look terrific for your daughter's wedding--what great motivation. I hate those size 4 chickies right now, but one day I hope to be one of them. And then, bring on that cupcake! (Notice I didn't say "THOSE" cupcakes!)
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #354  

Quote:
The guidance was stated by IP to lots of people who followed the guidelines to the letter, and then it was changed by IP. Having not seen the new version (as I am off Phase 1), I was surprised to see it characterized as a deviation from the protocol; it wasn't a deviation from MY protocol!
This reminds me of the Second Vatican Council, when all of a sudden it was okay for Catholics to eat meat instead of fish on Fridays. George Carlin had a field day with that one.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #355  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I feel bad that I haven't been posting much but things are going really good. I got back on track and I have my eye on the prize. I decided this week to not eat fake meats, just tofu and eggs. It is really working.

However, this is mostly because I decided to add sugar free metamucil which is 5 darn carbs a serving. It was working, then I had a 3 day *nothing* then it worked again. I like to give things a full week. I'm going to order some Calm on the 1st when my GNC membership goes 20%. I was using psyllium husk but it stopped working after awhile and I didn't really want to take it more than once a day. That might be an option too.

I'm hoping to get a few more hikes in this weekend, I'm really enjoying going out to new places and getting my heart rate up. We have a lot to choose from in MO, so I drive to random parks and hit the trails.

My husband has been really supportive, though I would like for him to not eat ice cream and pretzels for dinner. That man is so lazy, ugh. He told me yesterday he thinks he's carb sensitive because he came back from eating Chinese at lunch and couldn't keep his eyes open. There might be hope yet that he wants a change in his life. I said I would make double veggies and he could prepare some meat or something, but I'm not sure he's ready for that. I'm going to try though. I had to also explain that ice cream was carbs too, and he was kind of upset about that. Heh.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #356  

S/C/G: 247/208/175

Height: 5 ft. 6 in.

Good morning,
Well I made it through 1 day of my family time without too much temptation. However, we did go to the local fair and there were many tasty treats that I passed up. My husband enjoyed a corn dog and my son's girlfriend had an ice cream cone right in front of me! I made it!
Tomorrow will be the big challenge. First I have to go through two gruelling interviews. One at 11 with a community forum and one at 3 with the board. I am sure I will be stressed out. Then after that we will be going to a wedding reception where all kinds of "goodies" will be. Please keep me in your thoughts. I hope I can make it!
As a side note, I am now not taking my diabetes medicine, my arthritis nor my blood pressure medicine. I am feeling great! So it is all worth it.
Have a wonderful day!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #357  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
This reminds me of the Second Vatican Council, when all of a sudden it was okay for Catholics to eat meat instead of fish on Fridays. George Carlin had a field day with that one.
How funny... I thought of exactly the same thing! And I happen to have George Carlin's album (yes, vinyl) with that routine on it... hysterical!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #358  

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts about the protein bars Shine thought were so great... clearly, Shine's standards are different from ours!!!.. I wasn't thinking about trying any of the bars, I've made it this far without using any & the IP protocol is working for me...

Speaking of that, all this talk about restricteds that some coaches allow & others don't, I wonder if maybe I'm sometimes better off without a coach... when I first started, I printed off the protocol from Dr. Tran Tien's website & have been trying to follow that to the letter... I'm not trying to be smug about it, that's not my nature, so please don't think that I think my way is better or that I'm advocating dumping your coaches... the ONLY reason I didn't start out with a coach is that I couldn't find any in my area... I certainly don't know it all, I'm just doing the best I can & with the help of you wonderful folks, I've had the best information & the best support in the world!.. thank you, thank you, thank you!!!..

hugs
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #359  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tle1103 View Post
As a side note, I am now not taking my diabetes medicine, my arthritis nor my blood pressure medicine. I am feeling great! So it is all worth it.
Have a wonderful day!
That's a HUGE motivation to keep it up, even with your very stressful day ahead! If anything, pack a restricted bar or nuts in your purse. If you feel the need to cheat, go with IP if you can!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #360  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
Since I'm doing alternative IP, no IP products, I was wondering about the soy nuts... are they just like regular toasted soy nuts like you can get at the health food store, or are they prepared some special way to fit better with IP?.. I probably shouldn't even ask, I love toasted soy nuts & would probably go overboard if I ever got my hands on them...
They are the same. And a big bag costs just a few dollars at the local health food store. I can't believe I bought a box from IP that contained 7 oz. for $27 when I first started the diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
7 Energy Bars That Deliver - on Shine...

I haven't been using any protein bars, so I clicked on this link to see what they had listed... way, way too much sugar, looks like to me...

Your thoughts?..
Way too high in carbs, which aren't listed in the article (only lists the sugar). The lemon Luna bar has 26 carb grams (23 net), for example. You can order bars from Lindora. Their caramel nut bars are identical to IP's (same manufacturer), although those particular bars are on backorder right now. This week I went to the health food store and the local CVS and bought some energy bars to try out:

Nature's Plus Ultra Energy Acai Bar, which contains 200 calories, 6 fat grams (inc. 3 saturated), 13 carb grams, 1 fiber gram, and 21 protein grams.

Atkins Advantage Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat Bar, which contains 170 calories, 11 fat grams (inc. 6 saturated), 19 carb grams, 11 fiber grams, and 10 protein grams. This contains a lot of fat, maybe too much for Phase 1. Plus I have half a whey protein isolate drink with it to get in my protein.

Clif Builder's Lemon Bar, which contains 270 calories, 8 fat grams (inc. 4 saturated fat), 31 carb grams, 1 fiber gram, and 20 protein grams. This is a very big bar, so if you split it in half, it compares more closely with an IP bar. Have half of a whey protein isolate shake with this one as well.
Closed Thread