Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #1  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Question regarding meds

For those of you that have been doing this awhile or maybe even reached your goal and were on medication for thyroid, have you noticed your dosages change or maybe even gone off of it? This was something that was mentioned by my nutrition counselor, but quite frankly, I've always hear thyroid meds were for life. I'm also wondering if I need to pay attention to symptoms that might indicate changes.

Just FY reference, I started at 285, I'm now at 271 and my goal is 185.

Thanks in advance!
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/148/130ish

Height: 5"3

I am new to this diet too but I am also on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism. I was taking a pretty lose dose I think (75mc) after testing and testing that is what was settled on. When I first started taking the meds I was told it would help with my metabolism and I would have an easier time losing weight... NOT... I didn't lose anything! I stopped (ok I know this is bad) taking my meds when I started this diet less than a week ago. I plan to go for some bloodwork after being on the diet for maybe another week or so to see if there are any changes.... I want to hear from my doc what the change or results of my tests are before I tell her I am on this diet. I am skeptical of everything sorry.
I am interested to hear the expert opinions on this one too... I shall keep you posted!
sillyputty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #3  
Started IP 7/7/2010

It's going to be pretty difficult to convince me to stop taking my thyroid meds. I've been taking them for at least 10 years and should have been taking them for 5 or so before that when I was just miserable and disfunctional. I'm pretty good at knowing the signs that something is changing with my thyroid but my energy is a little lower now but I don't know if that's a med issue or a diet issue. That's why I was wondering what others found as they went along.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 239/176/145

Height: 5'7"

I take medicine for thyroid (.175) and it has never helped me with losing. I started the diet June 09, lost 70 pounds, kind of went crazy and gained back 20. Even when I lost the weight my meds have stayed the same. In fact I had to have it adjusted up while dieting but now is pretty stable. But definitely not been able to go down at this point. I suppose it could happen if you were borderline hypothyroid, but that hasn't been the case for me. On a good note, I was able to lose weight. First time in a long time. Now I just need to get this last 25-30 off.
lkreutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
For those of you that have been doing this awhile or maybe even reached your goal and were on medication for thyroid, have you noticed your dosages change or maybe even gone off of it? This was something that was mentioned by my nutrition counselor, but quite frankly, I've always hear thyroid meds were for life. I'm also wondering if I need to pay attention to symptoms that might indicate changes.

Just FY reference, I started at 285, I'm now at 271 and my goal is 185.

Thanks in advance!
You definitely need to get bloodwork done while on this diet to monitor your dosage. Your body weight is changing so drastically that your medication will be off. Since you generally have to wait 6 weeks inbetween thyroid medication changes to see if they work, I'd request maybe a blood panel every 2 months, but talk to your doctor first. You might not be off the meds (I won't be because I don't have one at all) but you will probably need a lower dosage. If you start feeling hyper symptoms, I would call your doctor asap because you might be getting too much.
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #6  
Started IP 7/7/2010

Thanks, Xanthia. 6 weeks into this program will actually be a good point for me to check thyroid again, so I'll do that.