3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   What do you wish your coach had told you??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/205991-what-do-you-wish-your-coach-had-told-you.html)

lauran 06-09-2013 08:29 PM

What questions do you wish you had asked your coach before you started IP?

My doctor (who is not affiliated with the program) recommended IP. I have researched like crazy, read all of your stickies, attended my local IP coach's introduction seminar, and I am now ready to commit to the program.

I appreciate all the info on this site on alternatives and I like the variety and cost savings, but I need the one on one support of a coach. But... I am a little leery after reading some of the negative experiences on this board. Before I commit (ie, hand over my money) I think I would like to have a second meeting with my local coach and discuss their style of coaching, nutritional expertise, and stance on alternative products. Additionally, I think I am going to ask them how they coach through slow/low losses and gains.

What other questions would you ask? You all seem to have a wealth of experiences, so I am looking to harness some of that to avoid any bad experiences (uninformed, unengaged, or unmotivated coaches) and to maximize my chance of finding the right coach.

Thank you!
~L

Sansfilter 06-09-2013 09:08 PM

My coach is a dietician,and she has been good. However, I don't ask many questions, because I've learned so much on here. I like the accountability, and because I'm seen in a doctor's office, the in-house doctor keeps track of my labwork.
By the way, I think someone else started a similar thread to this a few weeks ago and got a lot of responses. If you have time, you may need to go back several pages, but you should find some good answers in there.

lauran 06-09-2013 09:16 PM

Thank you so much Sansfilter! I read all the stickies and searched for keywords, but I didn't think to just check the last few pages of posts!

lauran 06-09-2013 11:46 PM

Here is the link for the thread with the other "things I wished I had known/asked" thread. Thanks for directing me to it!.

Iolani 06-10-2013 02:40 PM

I read all about IP on this forum, so when I joined IP, I didn't have many questions. My coach is not associated with any doctors' offices and usually she schedules half an hour per person.

France35 06-11-2013 01:41 PM

Couple questions and any advice is helpful

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sansfilter (Post 4767917)
My coach is a dietician,and she has been good. However, I don't ask many questions, because I've learned so much on here. I like the accountability, and because I'm seen in a doctor's office, the in-house doctor keeps track of my labwork.
By the way, I think someone else started a similar thread to this a few weeks ago and got a lot of responses. If you have time, you may need to go back several pages, but you should find some good answers in there.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Hello, I am new to the site and have a couple of questions, if you don't mind answering them. When I started IP I was a couple of pounds more than your starting weight and my goal is 115. I was wondering if you can tell me how long it took you to lose the weight, what you experience was like and any advice on how to be successful at IP. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks. :)

LexiChanel1 06-11-2013 04:57 PM

Took me about 3 months to go from 154 to 115. Everybody's different though:)

bluegirl9 06-18-2013 02:38 AM

This is an AWESOME thread! I'm on my 4th week, and learning a lot here.

I have to say my coach (who is a veteran IPer) has done a really good job. And when I have questions, she always gets back to me quickly.

What I wish she'd told me at the beginning:

* That the Walden Farm's products are allowed, BUT should be used in moderation/not every day. Same for Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (actually she did warn me about this, but I forgot!)

* That we can use PAM/olive oil cooking spray.

* That if you're having trouble getting in all your veggies, you can liquefy 1-2 cups spinach & water in the blender & then add your drink packet (I have used Chocolate, Peach Mango and Piņa Colada). It may be an interesting color, but it won't taste like spinach. I am not a vegetable person to begin with, and this has really helped me.

* That this forum exists! It's a great resource and source of encouragement & support!

barri1970 06-18-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegirl9 (Post 4774321)
This is an AWESOME thread! I'm on my 4th week, and learning a lot here.

I have to say my coach (who is a veteran IPer) has done a really good job. And when I have questions, she always gets back to me quickly.

What I wish she'd told me at the beginning:

* That the Walden Farm's products are allowed, BUT should be used in moderation/not every day. Same for Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (actually she did warn me about this, but I forgot!)

* That we can use PAM/olive oil cooking spray.

* That if you're having trouble getting in all your veggies, you can liquefy 1-2 cups spinach & water in the blender & then add your drink packet (I have used Chocolate, Peach Mango and Piņa Colada). It may be an interesting color, but it won't taste like spinach. I am not a vegetable person to begin with, and this has really helped me.

* That this forum exists! It's a great resource and source of encouragement & support!

You can use Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing? I have NEVER heard this anywhere...I just looked it up and yes there are no carbs but there is a lot of calories and fat...What did she say about having it and has anyone else heard of this?????

bluegirl9 06-18-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barri1970 (Post 4774618)
You can use Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing? I have NEVER heard this anywhere...I just looked it up and yes there are no carbs but there is a lot of calories and fat...What did she say about having it and has anyone else heard of this?????

Barri -- I'm not entirely sure if this is Standard IP, or just my clinic. (It is confusing to me from what I've read on here that some IP clinics/coaches can have slightly different guidelines -- however, I have to say so far my clinic seems pretty good about adhering to current IP protocol.)

This is what my "Getting Started Tips" sheet says: "You can use Briana's brand French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing. This is the only one from Briana's and use it in moderation."

I usually make my own salad dressing out of olive oil, apple cider vinegar & lemon juice, but when I go to a friend's house for dinner I take a bottle of Briana's FV with me.

Margaret

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-bl...5/136/188/.png

SeattleNP 06-18-2013 02:46 PM

Probably just 'house rules' but curious at to whether your clinic told you to count a serving of the salad dressing (2 TBSP) as your 2 tsp oil. If you do it should be okay because it is equivalent in fat grams and does not contain any 'forbidden' ingredients (well except that canola oil is not your best choice). But I would not use it as an 'extra' due to the fat content. There is no MAGIC in WF products, so there is no reason to assume that dressings by other manufacturers cannot be IP appropriate - but it takes careful review of the ingredients and if it contains fat, you need to count it IMHO!!!!

bluegirl9 06-18-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleNP (Post 4774683)
Probably just 'house rules' but curious at to whether your clinic told you to count a serving of the salad dressing (2 TBSP) as your 2 tsp oil. If you do it should be okay because it is equivalent in fat grams and does not contain any 'forbidden' ingredients (well except that canola oil is not your best choice). But I would not use it as an 'extra' due to the fat content. There is no MAGIC in WF products, so there is no reason to assume that dressings by other manufacturers cannot be IP appropriate - but it takes careful review of the ingredients and if it contains fat, you need to count it IMHO!!!!

Good points. You know, I just assumed it would be *instead* of my daily 2 tsp olive oil -- but I'll ask my coach, because she didn't really say.

stacerp 06-18-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegirl9 (Post 4774321)

This is brilliant! I can't believe I didn't think of this myself - I like spinach smoothies. Thank you! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

lisa32989 06-18-2013 11:08 PM

go to the first page of Daily Chat and find the link to the Fun with Veggie Puree thread

MANY ideas for pureed veggies there!

stacerp 06-19-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4775070)
go to the first page of Daily Chat and find the link to the Fun with Veggie Puree thread

MANY ideas for pureed veggies there!

Thank you! Those are awesome ideas :D