Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #16  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Default IP protein and isoflavones

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthia View Post
I'm unsure if IP removes the isoflavones (the problem child) from their soy protein, but many have been successful and not had any extraneous issues with their thyroid when on IP, even with pre-existing conditions.
Here's what my coach says about isoflavones in the IP protein. She's a bit circuitous, if not downright obscure. Still. . . .

"The soy that is in the Ideal Protein is majority just the protein from the plant, not the isoflavones.
It really is complicated.

Raw soybeans (1/2 cup or 34 g) have 176 mg isoflavones
Soy Protein (1 oz or 26 g) have 57 mg isoflavones

Ideal Protein uses a soy protein isolate, this is NOT the whole protein powder (like above)so most of the isoflavones have been filtered out.

So the IP packets (soy) really have a small amount of isoflavones, in a nutshell, pardon the humor.

Example: Puddings with soy protein: 20 grams of soy and milk protein. So 10 grams from soy = 22 mgs isoflavones IF it came from the whole soy protein which it does not. IP uses an isolate so it is in fact much lower."

Last edited by Linden; 08-28-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #17  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

Well, I became hyerthyroid about 4 years ago, ended up in a fetal position on the sofa until my daughter found the correct endocrinologist for me. He put me on propylthiouracil (50 mg) and has ny thyroid down to a normal level....now I will get in contact with him (he sees me every 4-6 months) and ask would he like to take another blood test since I've lost over 30 lbs. since the last one. I'd hate to think that my pill, plus the soy products would bring down my thyroid to a sub-normal state....don't think that would help my weight loss....always something, isnt it?

Marilyn
pumpkyparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi All,

Thyroid issues run in my family, so it's something I try to stay aware about. I posted this earlier on the daily forum:
Quote:
Also, in addition to the soy issue, it should be noted that our thyroid glands are dependent on iodine and the Great Lakes Basin has NO natural iodine in the soil. So for those living in this area, both in the US and Canada, since we've stopped using table salt, which has iodine added to it for this reason, we may be iodine deficient because there is no iodine in sea salt.

I was concerned about this before IP, because I have been using sea salt for years and noticed my eyebrows sort of disappearing. I have been supplementing with ground kelp (seaweed) for the iodine for several months and my eyebrows have filled in nicely!

Just a thought.
Jackie
Jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #19  

From the Sept. 3, 2010 thread: 2 important pieces of info
- symptoms of low thyroid
- new (2003) -- and controversial -- guidelines for TSH levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypeter View Post
My GYN treats hypothyroid by symptoms because she believes that the TSH test doesn't adequately reveal thyroid gland function (think Type II diabetics who produce enough insulin but their bodies can't utilize it). Here is her checklist:

Low Thyroid Symptom Check Off List

Mild Moderate Severe
Fatigue _____ _____ _____
Weight gain _____ _____ _____
Depression _____ _____ _____
Anxiety _____ _____ _____
Memory Issues _____ _____ _____
Focus Issues (ADD) _____ _____ _____
Migraines _____ _____ _____
Poor Sleep _____ _____ _____
Cold Intolerance _____ _____ _____
Heat Intolerance _____ _____ _____
Low Body Temperature _____ _____ _____
Hot Flashes _____ _____ _____
Cold Hands/Feet _____ _____ _____
Dry/Itchy Skin _____ _____ _____
Dry Eyes _____ _____ _____
Hair Loss _____ _____ _____
Water Retention _____ _____ _____
High Blood Pressure _____ _____ _____
Cravings _____ _____ _____
Constipation _____ _____ _____
High Cholesterol _____ _____ _____
Nasty Periods _____ _____ _____
Irregular Periods _____ _____ _____
Fertility Issues _____ _____ _____
No Sex Drive _____ _____ _____
Achy Joints _____ _____ _____
Achy Muscles _____ _____ _____
Tingling _____ _____ _____
Sensitive to Medicines _____ _____ _____
Sensitive to Coffee _____ _____ _____

In 2003 the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) called for doctors to "consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.0," rather than 0.5 to 5.5. The statement also said: "AACE believes the new range will result in proper diagnosis for millions of Americans who suffer from a mild thyroid disorder, but have gone untreated until now." Most labs and docs still use the wider range, though, and it remains controversial.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #20  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Default Thanks!

I'm Svelting! You sure did your (our?) homework. Thanks a million.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #21  
:)

S/C/G: 222/195/135

I will make an appointment with the Endocrinologist first then Tuesday morning! Thanks, ladies, for the information.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #22  
age 57

S/C/G: 170/ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I've been taking Levoxyl (25; then 50; now at 75 & holding) about 5 yrs. It cleared up the foggy brain fatigue I had but nothing else. Hair is still thin (genetics is a factor); some joints hurt (but I am 57 & arthritis runs in the family); eyebrows thinner but I still have to shave my legs. As for weight: I've lost 5 pounds a time or two (and regained it back) just as I always lost it: by eating less. In other words I haven't seen any effect on my weight.
I was never told to cut down or cut out soy or the raw vegetables mentioned in this thread. Until about a month ago I was eating soy products like crazy because many times meat just doesn't taste right to me. I'm aware of beans and nonmeat protein I can eat, but sitting down to beans just doesn't cut it for me. Sometimes I like a soy burger or soy crumbles. Qu'orn products is a favorite. BUT I realized I was overdoing it, so I cut it out. Now I have tofu every other day, if that often. After reading this thread I wonder if I was a big fool for eating all of that processed soy for so long.
AuntBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #23  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

I called my Endocrinologist and they asked if I was feeling alright. When I said I was feeling great they said just make sure I didn't eat soy within four hours of taking my propylthiouracil...so I have orange drink for breakfast and then have my soup for lunch and my pudding shake for snack....works for me. Was really happy they didn't seem in the slightest concerned.

Marilyn
pumpkyparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkyparry View Post
I called my Endocrinologist and they asked if I was feeling alright. When I said I was feeling great they said just make sure I didn't eat soy within four hours of taking my propylthiouracil...so I have orange drink for breakfast and then have my soup for lunch and my pudding shake for snack....works for me. Was really happy they didn't seem in the slightest concerned.

Marilyn
Which of those items has soy? The soup?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #25  

Default Some potentially helpful references

Some references on Thyroid:

The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem MD. (associate professor of medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and chief of endocrinology and metabolism at Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, Texas)
Ballantine Books (August 8, 2000) | ISBN-10: 0345429206 | ISBN-13: 978-0345429209
I read this several years ago and found it very informative about the role of the thyroid in one's well-being. Although it was published 10 years ago, it will probably give you a good understanding of how the thyroid works, what to watch for, what questions to ask, and what you can do. The author has published other books and work books since 2000. You may want to investigate those.

Another one that is getting some attention is written by a chiropractor who has a DHSc (not the same as an MD or a PhD in anything) is Why do I still have thyroid symptoms when my lab tests are normal? Author has a website thyroidbook [dot] com. He also provides referrals to practitioners across the US who have trained on his program.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post

The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem MD. (associate professor of medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and chief of endocrinology and metabolism at Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, Texas)
Ballantine Books (August 8, 2000) | ISBN-10: 0345429206 | ISBN-13: 978-0345429209
I read this several years ago and found it very informative about the role of the thyroid in one's well-being. Although it was published 10 years ago, it will probably give you a good understanding of how the thyroid works, what to watch for, what questions to ask, and what you can do. The author has published other books and work books since 2000. You may want to investigate those.

Another one that is getting some attention is written by a chiropractor who has a DHSc (not the same as an MD or a PhD in anything) is Why do I still have thyroid symptoms when my lab tests are normal? Author has a website thyroidbook [dot] com. He also provides referrals to practitioners across the US who have trained on his program.
Thanks so much for these!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #27  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm actually kind if interested because I just did a thyroid test on Friday and I am waiting for the results. I've been on compounded t3 for about 10 years and a low dose of synthroid. Over that last year, as we have worked through other hormone issues including adrenal fatigue, we have had to adjust my dosage a little so this will be interesting. I probably won't hear until the end of this week or early next week though.

I have tried to limit the soy for many years because of potential problems, but I'm kind of in the mode that some isn't bad, but I'm not going to eating tofu and edamame at every meal. The soy that is in IP and the Sucralose are both compromises for me because I am pretty strongly against artificial sweeteners; however, I am more against being fat and shortening my lifespan, so I can compromise for the 7-9 months it will take me to lose weight.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #28  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post

Thanks so very much. I sure wish Borders hadn't closed last month.

Last edited by Linden; 09-07-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

bump
Journeysend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #30  
Started IP 07/22/2010

S/C/G: 257.4/205.8/175

Height: 5'7"

I would only add that you should also consult your Dr. and Pharmacist. How and when you take your Rx can also impact the absorption. My Rx label states to take it in the morning, before breakfast on an empty stomach, and with plenty of water.

This is a great thread. I had Grave's in my mid-20's and after radioactive iodine, I have taken a generic for Synthroid ever since. While prego with my youngest three years ago my dosage was gradually increased and has remained at 175mcg/day since. I test regularly, have been on IP for 7 weeks, eat lots of broccoli, and have lost 35 lbs to date. I even had my levels tested upon reaching -30 lbs and my levels were "normal." I am glad I found IP and I am so happy with the results I am seeing for all my hard work (albeit mostly mental work starving (excuse the pun) off my cravings).
Tminus80 is offline   Reply With Quote