Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post

I'm thinking of starting body-weight type strength training. I'd love to be able to do push-ups! One thought about how to get strong and agile was yoga. Any recommendations?
Are you talking about using your body weight for resistance? Years ago I would occasionally see an incredibly buff boxer at the gym, doing amazing body resistance moves. I'll admit I was always more in awe of his body than the actual moves he was doing - so I'm no help. Though, I can personally attest to doing push ups and rear tricep dips and seeing positive results.

Just today I bought a new yoga DVD. I've struggled with yoga in the past because of how sssssssssllllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww it is. Duh, I know most yoga practices are suppose to be slow and relaxing... Which are two words not in my daily vocabulary.

Anyways I'll let you know next week (after I've used the DVD a few times) if I'd recommend it.
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #167  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Linden Thanks for the cold floor tip. It'll be good to have that as a backup if my thumbs aren't strong enough.

I'm thinking of starting body-weight type strength training. I'd love to be able to do push-ups! One thought about how to get strong and agile was yoga. Any recommendations?
Yoga or Pilates would work for you... Good luck on the push ups too... don't go too crazy right off the bat... start with easier push ups and work your way up...easier as in an incline where your upper body is higher than your feet... as opposed to the floor ones....maybe on a railing? Let me know how it goes
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #168  

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
Are you talking about using your body weight for resistance? Years ago I would occasionally see an incredibly buff boxer at the gym, doing amazing body resistance moves. I'll admit I was always more in awe of his body than the actual moves he was doing - so I'm no help. Though, I can personally attest to doing push ups and rear tricep dips and seeing positive results.

Just today I bought a new yoga DVD. I've struggled with yoga in the past because of how sssssssssllllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww it is. Duh, I know most yoga practices are suppose to be slow and relaxing... Which are two words not in my daily vocabulary.

Anyways I'll let you know next week (after I've used the DVD a few times) if I'd recommend it.
I've been using Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga DVD... if you can get used to his skin-tight bike pants (TMI!), I think it's a good one... (I just take my glasses off, & it's all a blur!).. it's what I started out with when I first took up yoga a few months ago, so it's the only one I can tell you about... it was easy enough for this total beginner, but still challenges me... I'd like to try something else eventually, though... what's your new one?..

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #169  

Ah, finally getting back to doing almost my whole workout, after my week of laziness... thanks again, y'all, for the kick in the seat of the seat of the pants... I feel so much better than I did last week... boy, is it true that we lose cardio faster than strength!.. (see posts 108 & 109 in this thread).. I was able to pick up almost where I left off with the kettlebells, but the cardio portion of my workout was a struggle... yoga was a joy as usual, although I still haven't quite gotten all my limberness back...

hugs
Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 273.8/247.5/199

Height: 5'5"

Question Exercise after Week 2

I beginning the second week of the IP diet. Can I start exercising after week 2?
nursemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #171  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemel View Post
I beginning the second week of the IP diet. Can I start exercising after week 2?
Start out slow but, yes, you should be able to do light cardio and other exercise. The reason to go slowly is to assist your body in learning to exercise using the ketones as a new energy source and not the former glucose.

The goal is to keep your heart rate below 75% so focus on staying between your resting heart rate and that mark. Remember our goal is to burn fat and not need carbs/glucose/glycogen. If you go above the suggested range, your body will stop functioning as well at fat burning and may even want more carbs thus creating craving.

Here is a links to explanations posted by Elizabeth about why this is best.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3300581-post83.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3416465-post71.html

Last edited by showgirlaz; 09-11-2010 at 03:44 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #172  

I'm glad you posted this, Carla... I always like knowing the science behind things... I've read many times in this forum that the only reason to not exercise is because it will make you hungrier... it never affected me that way (& I've been exercising from the very beginning), so I always wondered... what you wrote, & what Elizabeth has posted before, makes tons more sense to me... I'm not doubting that some people's experiences have been that they were hungrier when they exercised, but maybe they were really, as Dr. Tran Tien says in his book, thirsty instead... we often mistake hunger for thirst, & that's probably one reason this diet & many others emphasize drinking lots of water...

Here's the quote from the doctor's book (p. 105):
What if I’m hungry after a workout?

You’re probably more thirsty than hungry. It’s normal to drink lots
of fluids after exercising, because your body has lost a great deal of
water. The secret is to avoid overly sweet beverages and to go for
those that are just sweet enough to provide energy. Salty drinks are
better, because they replenish the salts your body has lost through
perspiration.
He continues with this:
As for appetite, you’d better rethink your preconceived notions.

Experiments on rats revealed that an active rat that became inactive
sought solace by gobbling down food and getting fat, perhaps out of
inactivity or to compensate for it. It turns out that the same is true
for people. A sedentary lifestyle increases food intake more than
regular physical activity does. When you’re active, you eat fewer
calories and the calories you do eat are burned faster and better.

There’s an added benefit: regular exercise tends to delay weight
gain, as shown by an experiment conducted in 1995. Two groups
of obese women were put on a diet, but only one group exercised.
The women who exercised had an easier time sticking to their diet
and once their diet ended, 90% of them maintained their new
weight, compared to just 34% of the women in the group that did
not exercise. An excellent example, don’t you think?
Which leads me to this article I found on SportsGeezer.com:
Exercise Makes You Want to Eat Less

Hungry again? Perhaps you didn't run far enough, or frequently enough. The Scientific American reports that, contrary to the widely held conviction that the more calories we burn, the more calories we want, exercise makes the stomach grow less fond of food. Hunger, it turns out, is a complex sensation, determined in part by neurons which send signals to the brain telling it that you're either hungry or sated. Those neurons get their message from hormones, including insulin and leptin. The magazine reports that researchers found that "physical activity reorganizes the set point of nutritional balance through anti-inflammatory signaling."

To find out how the researchers did it, read more in the Scientific American.
The Scientific American article referenced can be found at http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...creases-hunger...

hugs
Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 273.8/247.5/199

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, Carla.
You are a wealth of information. I plan to start working out next week. I have a heart rate monitor to stay within the 70 - 75% zone.
nursemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #174  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post

The Scientific American article referenced can be found at http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...creases-hunger...

hugs
Wow, this is such a lucid post. Thank you so very much. And if anyone is interested in these topics, do read the whole article from Scientific American.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #175  

You're very welcome, Linden... glad you liked it!.. what got me started thinking about all that was that the good doctor mentions in his book that he had worked with athletes -- boxers, triathletes, marathon runners -- & I thought, would a boxer lay off working out for a couple of weeks while he was on this diet?.. I doubt he would, & probably no other professional athlete would either...

I got my entire workout done today, so I think (I hope) I'm finally back from my lazy week... feels good...

hugs
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #176  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
Yoga or Pilates would work for you... Good luck on the push ups too... don't go too crazy right off the bat... start with easier push ups and work your way up...easier as in an incline where your upper body is higher than your feet... as opposed to the floor ones....maybe on a railing? Let me know how it goes
makeitmatter and deinekatze Thanks for your replies to my request for recommendations. I'll start doing some research on yoga and pilates studios near me.

I came across an interesting set of videos online that lays out beginner to advanced progressions for doing 5 different bodyweight exercises: push up, squat, plank, and yikes -- pull ups and overhead presses. I'm not going to start any of this until I'm eating more normally, phase 3 maybe. Just thinkin' ahead.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #177  
Began IP 8-18-10

S/C/G: 179.7/152.9/130

Height: 5'3'

I just had my week 4 WI yesterday and I exercised before I started the diet and have continued to exercise since I started the diet. My coach did not have an issue with the exercise as long as I feel good. I do 3-4 Spin classes per week, i also jog and walk on my treadmill and have have added in weights.

I am actually exercising more now on the diet and feel that the exercise has helped me with my weight loss. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, but either way I am pleased with my progress on IP.
Starrfish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Here's the name of the yoga dvd I bought last week: Shape Lean & Strong Yoga.

So far I'm finding it beneficial in terms of stretching and flexibility (which is exactly what my physical therapist is recommending I incorporate more of into my exercise routine). The routine is easy to follow and the moves flow easily (it's a Yinyasa routine).

The dvd was cheap ($10) and also included a free 1 year subscription to the Shape magazine - this is a dvd I recommend if you're just getting into yoga or need a simple stretching routine.

If you're wanting a good, core workout program without having to watch a dvd, then print out: A Core Workout, A Simple Routine for Time-Pressed Runners, by Dimity McDowell (7/7/2008). Go to runnersworld.com and enter, "A Core Workout" in the search engine. This is a great routine for time pressed individuals which works your entire body in a simple routine. And no, you don't have to be a runner to benefit from this workout. Core workouts are great for the non-atheletes also (great for improving your posture - which helps you stand/sit taller - which helps you look thinner (and healthier).

Aunt Sheshie - I have Rodney Yee's Yoga: Core Cross Train dvd. His shorts don't bother me as much as his hair; he plays with his hair more than any girl I know!

Last edited by makeitmatter; 09-16-2010 at 11:25 PM.
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #179  

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
Here's the name of the yoga dvd I bought last week: Shape Lean & Strong Yoga.

So far I'm finding it beneficial in terms of stretching and flexibility (which is exactly what my physical therapist is recommending I incorporate more of into my exercise routine). The routine is easy to follow and the moves flow easily (it's a Yinyasa routine).

The dvd was cheap ($10) and also included a free 1 year subscription to the Shape magazine - this is a dvd I recommend if you're just getting into yoga or need a simple stretching routine.

If you're wanting a good, core workout program without having to watch a dvd, then print out: A Core Workout, A Simple Routine for Time-Pressed Runners, by Dimity McDowell (7/7/2008). Go to runnersworld.com and enter, "A Core Workout" in the search engine. This is a great routine for time pressed individuals which works your entire body in a simple routine. And no, you don't have to be a runner to benefit from this workout. Core workouts are great for the non-atheletes also (great for improving your posture - which helps you stand/sit taller - which helps you look thinner (and healthier).

Aunt Sheshie - I have Rodney Yee's Yoga: Core Cross Train dvd. His shorts don't bother me as much as his hair; he plays with his hair more than any girl I know!
too funny!.. I hadn't noticed him doing that in mine, but now I'll be watching for it...

Thanks for the other recommendations...

hugs
Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #180  
Started IP 07/22/2010

S/C/G: 257.4/205.8/175

Height: 5'7"

While on IP has anyone (who was not really exercising before) begun to "crave" exercise or activity?

Around IP week 5-6, I found that my body/mind (I don't know which) was actually craving activity. Since then I have started walking in the evenings and on weekends. My coach approves of the level of activity and I feel great, even better because of it. I just found it so strange that instead of ice cream or cookies, I began to crave exercise.
Tminus80 is offline   Reply With Quote