3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Exercise (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/205608-exercise.html)

Aunt Sheshie 08-19-2010 04:17 PM

I mentioned yesterday that I follow my own workout with kettlebells, so I thought I'd post my routine... it's been tweaked several times since I started using kettlebells last October, & it will probably be changed lots more times in the future... feel free, anybody, to offer suggestions on how to make it better...

I start with about 5 minutes of slow cardio to warm up (on my old NordicTrack ski machine), then the first set of kettlebell lifts/moves/whatever you call them... then 3-4 minutes cardio, then another set of KB, alternating like that through 5 or 6 intervals, ending with 6-7 minutes of cardio... & then yoga after that... the whole workout takes about an hour...

Kettlebell sets:
1. Two-arm swings, one-arm swings
2. One-arm thrusters, triceps extensions
3. One-arm snatches, overhead presses, bicep curls
4. Sidestep with curl, halos
5. Two-arm swings, one-arm swings

Sets 2 thru 4 are followed by more swings & each set, 1 thru 5, is finished out with a few body circles...

Using the heavier 25 lb. KB the past couple of days has really made me aware of how important using my legs & glutes & the rest of my core & getting that "hip snap" right is to doing a good & safe KB swing...

hugs :hug:

deinekatze 08-19-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie (Post 3444419)
I mentioned yesterday that I follow my own workout with kettlebells, so I thought I'd post my routine... it's been tweaked several times since I started using kettlebells last October, & it will probably be changed lots more times in the future... feel free, anybody, to offer suggestions on how to make it better...

I start with about 5 minutes of slow cardio to warm up (on my old NordicTrack ski machine), then the first set of kettlebell lifts/moves/whatever you call them... then 3-4 minutes cardio, then another set of KB, alternating like that through 5 or 6 intervals, ending with 6-7 minutes of cardio... & then yoga after that... the whole workout takes about an hour...

Kettlebell sets:
1. Two-arm swings, one-arm swings
2. One-arm thrusters, triceps extensions
3. One-arm snatches, overhead presses, bicep curls
4. Sidestep with curl, halos
5. Two-arm swings, one-arm swings

Sets 2 thru 4 are followed by more swings & each set, 1 thru 5, is finished out with a few body circles...

Using the heavier 25 lb. KB the past couple of days has really made me aware of how important using my legs & glutes & the rest of my core & getting that "hip snap" right is to doing a good & safe KB swing...

As long as you are watching your posture that's all I would care about... I like that you are doing interval training, that's good and effective :D

Aunt Sheshie 08-19-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deinekatze (Post 3444436)
As long as you are watching your posture that's all I would care about... I like that you are doing interval training, that's good and effective :D

Thanks, Elizabeth!.. I don't know if I've always consciously watched my posture during exercise, probably not, but I'm convinced doing kettlebells has improved my posture... so I do pay more attention to it now than I used to...
When I told my son I was doing interval training, he reacted just like you did... it's nice to get that kind of encouragement!..

Aunt Sheshie 08-23-2010 01:50 PM

Thanks, LCW, for giving this a nudge back up...

Several months ago, I bought a couple of exercise DVDs, "10 Minute Solution," both dance workouts... but after giving them one try & not being able to keep up, I put them away thinking I'd never be able to do them... well, today I got them back out & tried one... if it weren't for my two left feet, I would've been able to do it easily... (it also didn't help that I was trying to dance on a carpeted floor).. what a difference the last 3 months have made!.. of course, my smaller size since starting IP has made a huge difference in my endurance, but I think just having a renewed confidence in myself helps me to not be afraid to try something new & a little challenging...

So, I think I'll start including the dance workouts in my routine a couple of times a week... a little change from my sometimes-boring NordicTrack cardio... plus, I just might end up coordinated after all!..

I love IP!!!..

Midlife Meggie 08-23-2010 02:52 PM

Looking for shake weight updates

The search engine on this site is a disaster. :mad: I KNOW there have been discussions on the shake weight, and some people are using it regularly, and I've been trying to find some updates. But no matter WHAT combination of terms I put in, I get the "no results found" page. GRRRRRR. Am I doing something wrong? :?::?::?: And can anyone with any experiences to share about the shake weight check in please? Thanks!

Novak 08-23-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie (Post 3449612)
The search engine on this site is a disaster. :mad: I KNOW there have been discussions on the shake weight, and some people are using it regularly, and I've been trying to find some updates. But no matter WHAT combination of terms I put in, I get the "no results found" page. GRRRRRR. Am I doing something wrong? :?::?::?: And can anyone with any experiences to share about the shake weight check in please? Thanks!

Elizabeth said in this very thread that she would buy one and review it, but I never saw any report back from her.

Oh, and I think it was Coastalcrafter who uses one, so you can check her posts or PM her....

makeitmatter 08-23-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie (Post 3449612)
And can anyone with any experiences to share about the shake weight check in please? Thanks!

Sorry, can't help you out with Shake Weight info. I've been using a set of good ol' fashioned 10 pound dumb-bells the past few weeks to work on my bat wings and have already begun to notice a difference. The nice thing with dumb-bells is you can add additional weight to them as your muscles get stronger (or at least with my set of hand-me-down weights I can).

Journeysend 08-23-2010 08:34 PM

Hi...I just got my shake weight so just started to use it...the test result will be on Aug. 30 when I get measured again!!! So hopefully there will be a difference :)

Aunt Sheshie 08-23-2010 08:41 PM

I got a Shake Weight about a month ago, but I'm ashamed to admit I haven't used it much yet... after kettlebells, my arms are just really tired, & I just didn't think I was doing the Shake Weight very effectively... maybe I'll figure out a better time to use it...

kristaljewel 08-24-2010 03:59 PM

This is my first post! I love this forum, lots of questions I had are being answered here! Here is one for Elizabeth if she has time. I see how important strength training is, I am wondering if Yoga is a good comparable to that? I really enjoy yoga and feel like I am working muscles just as hard as weights when I do it..... but I am not sure if it is an appropriate substitute? I just started the diet on July 28 and I am excited that I am finally losing weight!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...H1B/weight.png

Aunt Sheshie 08-25-2010 10:05 AM

Scientifc American article...

From Scientific American online
August 24, 2010
Can Exercise Make You Feel More Full?
A study of fat swimming and running rats indicated that exercise induces brain chemistry changes that decrease appetite
By Katherine Harmon

By a simple food-in/energy-out model, a run on the treadmill or swim in the pool should make you want to eat more. But recent findings have suggested that exercise can actually help to slow overeating. And a new study presents evidence that the body's physiologic response to exercise can help retune the nervous system's cues and make the body feel less hungry, rather than more so.

Hunger is a complex sensation, but it is determined in part by neurons located in the hypothalamus, which send signals to the brain telling it that you're either hungry or sated. Those neurons get their message from hormones, including insulin and leptin. When the body develops a resistance to these messengers, people become more prone to overeating and weight gain. And scientists have begun to suspect that cellular inflammation might be at least partly responsible for allowing these signals to get out of whack.

Researchers behind the new work found that "physical activity reorganizes the set point of nutritional balance through anti-inflammatory signaling," they reported in their paper, which published online August 24 in PLoS Biology.

The key to the signaling seemed to be interleukin-6 (IL-6) and IL-10, which are proteins secreted by immune cells. The compound IL-6 gets released from muscles when they contract and has been found to "play a central role in the regulation of appetite, energy expenditure and body composition," the researchers noted. But just how these compounds might be acting on the nervous system's components, such as the hypothalamus, remained murky.

To further explore this association, the Brazil-based research team examined energy use in both lean and obese rats that swam or ran on a treadmill. After the exercise, both the lean and the obese rats had lower insulin levels, but the rats that had been fed to become obese went back to eating more like their lean peers. By sampling the biological profiles of some of these animals, the scientists found that the exercise had changed the obese rats' hypothalamic chemistry, which included boosting IL-6. Rats that were given an antibody to inhibit IL-6 before exercise did not show the same biochemical or feeding patterns afterward.

"These molecules were crucial for increasing the sensitivity of the most important hormones, insulin and leptin, which control appetite," José Carvalheira, of the Department of Internal Medicine at the State University of Campinas in São Paulo and coauthor of the new study, said in a prepared statement.

Although the intense bursts of exercise seemed to spur these noticeable shifts in chemical profiles, in this study the activity only reduced the food intake in rats that were already obese, and the activity did not seem to directly relate to immediately apparent weight loss. But this chemical change alone suggests that physical activity "could help to reorganize the set point of nutritional balance and, therefore, aid in counteracting the energy imbalance induced by overnutrition-related obesity," Carvalheira and his colleagues noted in the study.

makeitmatter 08-25-2010 02:55 PM

Hi Sheshie! Congratulations on getting collarbones!!! Love your stats at the bottom of your posts!

Have you had anymore dizziness?

Aunt Sheshie 08-25-2010 03:04 PM

Thanks!.. not only can I feel my collarbones, I can see them too!.. I love IP!..
No, no more dizziness since I upped my salt to 3/4 tsp/day...

Linden 08-25-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie (Post 3452264)

Super post. Thanks so much for sharing.

deinekatze 08-26-2010 11:11 AM

Sorry all I was out of town.

I did buy the Shake Weight but have not used it yet so give me a couple of weeks to see how it feels and all.

to kristaljewel on Yoga... it works your muscles Isometrically so you are working them... would I consider that enough? maybe not, but as long as you are doing something is good!