Old 02-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

I've decided on my first mini-goal reward - a food processor!
Doing some research now to pick a good one - I want it completely multi-functional. I bought an Oxo mini-chopper this weekend, and it is great for garlic...but the cilantro didn't chop so well. Also, now that I've discovered cauli-rice, well, the blender did ok but I know a processor would be better.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #62  
started IP 7/23/14

S/C/G: 264.4/161.4/164

Height: 5'3''

Today marks 7 months of Phase 1 for me so I got myself a FitBit as a gift.

Last edited by loser58; 02-24-2015 at 08:40 PM.
loser58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

At 60 pounds lost- I bought new living room chairs. It was a year ago and I still love them! I say plan in some big rewards too. On my year anniversary of maintenance, I plan on getting something fantastic- maybe a new IPad.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser58 View Post
Today marks 6 months of Phase 1 for me so I got myself a FitBit as a gift.
Awesome!

My big goal - a cruise / trip to the Caribbean for hubby and I on our 20th Anniversary (& a tattoo )
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #65  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser58 View Post
Today marks 6 months of Phase 1 for me so I got myself a FitBit as a gift.
Which model did you get? I am about to order one too- my original has died.... The question is clip style or wristband...?
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #66  
started IP 7/23/14

S/C/G: 264.4/161.4/164

Height: 5'3''

I got the Charge. I wanted the wristband as I'd had the clip on before and lost it twice because it fell off. I tried the cheaper wrist one (can't remember the name), but it didn't have a read out on the device. I don't use a smart phone, so I needed to have a readout for when I am not near my computer. so far, so good, though I spent some time last evening huddled under a blanket reading a book and the fitbit thought I was sleeping!
loser58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

I have a Charge because I wanted the watch readout. I got my husband a One, since he already wears a watch. A few times he's said he wished I had just gotten him a Charge - the One tracks sleep, but you have to slip it in a wrist band and remember to push the button.

The Charge is a little sensitive, I've noticed, to sleep and stairs. One thing I'd recommend with any version is to set your stride instead of just using the default, it's more accurate.
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

For another data point in the tracker discussion: I have a Misfit Shine. It shows your progress when you tap it twice, and then it has a clock. You can wear it as a necklace, on your wrist, on your shoe, or wherever, and it's actually kind of pretty.

Here's one of the colors ("topaz") in the necklace (sold separately of course):

I went with the Shine because it's waterproof (so I don't have to remember to put it back on after my shower, and if I take up swimming or water aerobics again, I can wear it during that!) and because I wasn't sure I was willing to give up a bracelet spot every day. Also, it uses a watch battery and doesn't require recharging every day (another way I ended up forgetting my Fitbit).

It's still a little newer of a product, so it doesn't have the interaction with other services (MyFitnessPal, FitRPG, Fitocracy) that some of the others (Fitbit, Jawbone) do. I know it's coming, but if that's a showstopper for you, maybe hold off.

Then again, if "pretty" is important to you, maybe you should see their newest design (which I have not bought, but am considering for a big milestone reward):

It does its synchronization via a smartphone (iOS or Android), and as far as I know there's no way to sync with a computer. Something I dislike about their service is that there's no website (like Fitbit has) where I can go to see my stats or whatever; I can ONLY interact with it on my phone. I'm hoping that's coming eventually, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
I have a Charge
Does the Charge have any kind of progress display? I used to have a One, and my favorite thing about it was that it had a flower that "grew" as you walked more.
the_magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_magpie View Post
Does the Charge have any kind of progress display? I used to have a One, and my favorite thing about it was that it had a flower that "grew" as you walked more.
Not exactly like that, but I have my daily goal set at 8000 steps, so when I hit it, it buzzes my wrist and flashes on the display.
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #70  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Thanks to all for the tracker conversation. I have the biggest wrists, and I stopped wearing bracelets, wristwatches, etc., some years ago. Since my recent weight losses, my wrists have trimmed down to about 8 inches... Still large but not as huge as they were, and one can get larger sized bracelets.
So maybe I will go for the Charge.... I should find a store that carries them so I can try one on.

I do want to be able to use the MFP or other online tracking software/apps. I have the Aria scale so my weigh ins at home along with fat percentage readings are already sync'ing every morning. And Fitbit's database of foods includes IP items as well as a pretty good array of other common foods with nutrient stats. I need to get into posting my food and watching my carb vs protein intake. I think thise habits are going to be critical success factors for maintenance....
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote