Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #496  
Senior Member
 
cmsgrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 276

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Default

Mrs. Diettrich,

My advice is to live you life how you want to. IF you can get right back on the "wagon" and eating off plan does not affect you getting back to IP protocol go for it. Since IP packets are expensive I would substitute them with EAS Carb control RTD and pure protein bars until you get back into ketosis. You might need up to four a day until your hunger goes away, but it can be done!

I've gone off plan twice since 10/17/10 and as of today I have lost 30.6 lbs.

Hope this helps!
cmsgrrl is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #497  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!
 
Mrs Diettrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 756

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsgrrl View Post
Mrs. Diettrich,

My advice is to live you life how you want to. IF you can get right back on the "wagon" and eating off plan does not affect you getting back to IP protocol go for it. Since IP packets are expensive I would substitute them with EAS Carb control RTD and pure protein bars until you get back into ketosis. You might need up to four a day until your hunger goes away, but it can be done!

I've gone off plan twice since 10/17/10 and as of today I have lost 30.6 lbs.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the input Christine - I know you read the daily threads, so I'm sure you can understand why I was hesitant to ask this there. Like I said before, I'm not looking to go completely nuts this weekend - I just wanted to know that a little freedom wouldn't mean I'm a bad weak person. :-)
Mrs Diettrich is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #498  
Senior Member
 
cmsgrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 276

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
Thanks for the input Christine - I know you read the daily threads, so I'm sure you can understand why I was hesitant to ask this there. Like I said before, I'm not looking to go completely nuts this weekend - I just wanted to know that a little freedom wouldn't mean I'm a bad weak person. :-)
I completely understand! I did not go hog wild either, I just did not follow protocol to the tee. I still lived to tell the tale.

Anyway enjoy yourself, but don't overdo it!
cmsgrrl is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #499  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!
 
Mrs Diettrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 756

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsgrrl View Post
I completely understand! I did not go hog wild either, I just did not follow protocol to the tee. I still lived to tell the tale.

Anyway enjoy yourself, but don't overdo it!
Oh, I won't - I still have a goal to hit by Christmas!
Mrs Diettrich is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #500  
Senior Member
 
ladyvrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bonney Lake,WA
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I need some advice and there seems to be some hostility in the daily boards about this, so I'm asking this here rather than there - my husband and I are leaving tomorrow for a long weekend with friends to celebrate my birthday. This has been planned for long before I ever started the program. Since I began, I had talked to my coach about taking a weekend "off" for this and she was okay with that.

At this point, I'm not really interested in "cheating" the whole weekend - we're staying at a B&B and breakfast is actually the thing that I'm most concerned about. I'm taking RTDs with me and figure that I can get veggies & meat later in the day. If anything, it might be more of a phase 2 weekend.

My question is this - if I have a waffle or something for breakfast (no syrup - I've never liked it), or a latte with SF syrup during the day, will it derail me the way that it would if I was totally off program all weekend? Should I just have the birthday cake? :-) Or will it not completely screw me over to have a latte?

My feeling is that if the case is that if I have a waffle or a cup of coffee and it will be as though I had potatoes/bread/cake/etc and throw me off for 2 weeks, then I won't do it. However, if it is just the kind of thing that will affect me for the day (or two), then I can live with that.

Advice? Was that clear at all? I'd ask my coach (and probably will still talk to her about it in the morning), but she's pretty new and you guys are often better sources of information! Thanks!
I understand why you would NOT bring this up in the daily thread haha. It can get a bit............................well you can insert your word here.
I think the phase 2 thing is a great idea.
As for the waffle etc how long that will put you out of ketosis is really up to your body. How sensetive are you? Test time!
I had hot wings, real ones, with blue cheese dressing but I did NOT eat the wonderful looking chips. Too much fat that is for sure but it did not kick me out of ketosis. I do know that carbs have a different effect on ketosis.
Keep us posted. Have a GREAT time.
ladyvrod is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #501  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!
 
Mrs Diettrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 756

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I understand why you would NOT bring this up in the daily thread haha. It can get a bit............................well you can insert your word here.
I think the phase 2 thing is a great idea.
As for the waffle etc how long that will put you out of ketosis is really up to your body. How sensetive are you? Test time!
I had hot wings, real ones, with blue cheese dressing but I did NOT eat the wonderful looking chips. Too much fat that is for sure but it did not kick me out of ketosis. I do know that carbs have a different effect on ketosis.
Keep us posted. Have a GREAT time.
Thanks ladyvrod! We're going to Leavenworth - have you ever been? It's GORGEOUS this time of year...
Mrs Diettrich is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #502  
Re-started IP 9.7.11
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 2,589

Height: 5' 4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
My question is this - if I have a waffle or something for breakfast (no syrup - I've never liked it), or a latte with SF syrup during the day, will it derail me the way that it would if I was totally off program all weekend? Should I just have the birthday cake? :-) Or will it not completely screw me over to have a latte?
I don't eat off program so I can't tell you from personal experience whether or not one waffle will throw you out of ketosis. But I can, in a clinical way, give you the figures.

One buttermilk waffle, 33 grams, has 102 calories and just under 16 grams of carbohydrates. About 3 grams of fat and only 1.36 grams of sugar. If you can eat low carb vegetables, and no fruit, cheese or milk for the rest of the day, you should be able to keep carbs for the day under 40. I don't think that will throw you out of ketosis, especially if you get some exercise, walk, etc. [Wine has LOTS of carbs.]

Latte. Does that have to have milk or cream? (I'm allergic to coffee so no expert here, either.) Just coffee with WF, da Vinci, or Torani no carb additions are perfectly OK. Starbucks uses the latter and they are supposed to stock the no carb, no fat, no calorie syrups.

But to the point. No matter where you eat or what you eat you should be able to calculate, if even roughly, total carbs for the day. If you stay below 30, you should never have a problem -- if you aren't loading up on fat. I think 40 or even 50 as a one off deal will probably be OK. I can't go that high because I have a very low metabolism. But you know better what you can tolerate.
Linden is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #503  
Senior Member
 
ladyvrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bonney Lake,WA
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
Thanks ladyvrod! We're going to Leavenworth - have you ever been? It's GORGEOUS this time of year...
oh yes. I have been to Leavenworth in every season. One year we got there just after it had just snowed a little over 2 feet and the kids were sledding down the hill in the center of town by the Christmas tree. (that was 2007 I think) I like to stay at the Icicle Inn. We manage to take the motorcycles over every summer at least once.
ladyvrod is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #504  
Start date: August 19/10
 
Mamadancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 296

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Default

Mrs Diettrich, I'll give you my personal experience. I decided (and talked with my coach) to have an "off" weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving. I had been totally faithful to IP for 7 weeks. For me, it wasn't just Thanksgiving. We live 4hrs away from all our family so a holiday visit is a big deal with many dinners to attend. It is also a chance for us to have 'fast food' that is not available in our small town. (Tacos are our favourite) No one in my or my husbands family knew I was on IP. I decided to have my regular shake for breakfast each day and an IP guided lunch. I ate at restaurants but tried to make healthier choices.(had the chicken fajita and left some of the wrap) I continued to drink all my water and take supplements. For Turkey day...full out incl. dessert.

This was more of a Phase 4 approach, but on the day I returned home I went straight back to Phase 1 with no problem. At my next weigh in (2 weeks since last) I was down 5lbs. I'm sure I was out of ketosis but my body jumped right back and recovered.

I'm not recommending this approach, just giving my personal experience. I enjoyed the weekend with my family and had absolutely no regrets.

Decide to do what you can feel good about. Are you going to enjoy the weekend while following IP or would you rather take a break, deal with the results and have no regrets?

Last edited by Mamadancer; 12-10-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Mamadancer is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #505  
Member
 
losingitbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SOMD
Posts: 55

Height: 5'4.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I need some advice and there seems to be some hostility in the daily boards about this, so I'm asking this here rather than there - my husband and I are leaving tomorrow for a long weekend with friends to celebrate my birthday. This has been planned for long before I ever started the program. Since I began, I had talked to my coach about taking a weekend "off" for this and she was okay with that.

At this point, I'm not really interested in "cheating" the whole weekend - we're staying at a B&B and breakfast is actually the thing that I'm most concerned about. I'm taking RTDs with me and figure that I can get veggies & meat later in the day. If anything, it might be more of a phase 2 weekend.

My question is this - if I have a waffle or something for breakfast (no syrup - I've never liked it), or a latte with SF syrup during the day, will it derail me the way that it would if I was totally off program all weekend? Should I just have the birthday cake? :-) Or will it not completely screw me over to have a latte?

My feeling is that if the case is that if I have a waffle or a cup of coffee and it will be as though I had potatoes/bread/cake/etc and throw me off for 2 weeks, then I won't do it. However, if it is just the kind of thing that will affect me for the day (or two), then I can live with that.

Advice? Was that clear at all? I'd ask my coach (and probably will still talk to her about it in the morning), but she's pretty new and you guys are often better sources of information! Thanks!
My advice is to guesstimate how many carbs are in the things you're eating. If you want the waffle, use a calorie count-type site and figure out approximately how many carbs you're eating. I know a lot of people talk about sugar slowing down or throwing you out of maintenance, but I think it really boils down to how many EXTRA carbs are you eating on those off days. Those extra carbs are the ones that put that water weight & bloat back on your body. If you can tangibly count and limit how many extra carbs you're eating on your off weekend (which I believe everyone deserves once in a while) you will have an easier time getting back OP monday morning :P
losingitbaby is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #506  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!
 
Mrs Diettrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 756

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I need some advice and there seems to be some hostility in the daily boards about this, so I'm asking this here rather than there - my husband and I are leaving tomorrow for a long weekend with friends to celebrate my birthday. This has been planned for long before I ever started the program. Since I began, I had talked to my coach about taking a weekend "off" for this and she was okay with that.

At this point, I'm not really interested in "cheating" the whole weekend - we're staying at a B&B and breakfast is actually the thing that I'm most concerned about. I'm taking RTDs with me and figure that I can get veggies & meat later in the day. If anything, it might be more of a phase 2 weekend.

My question is this - if I have a waffle or something for breakfast (no syrup - I've never liked it), or a latte with SF syrup during the day, will it derail me the way that it would if I was totally off program all weekend? Should I just have the birthday cake? :-) Or will it not completely screw me over to have a latte?

My feeling is that if the case is that if I have a waffle or a cup of coffee and it will be as though I had potatoes/bread/cake/etc and throw me off for 2 weeks, then I won't do it. However, if it is just the kind of thing that will affect me for the day (or two), then I can live with that.

Advice? Was that clear at all? I'd ask my coach (and probably will still talk to her about it in the morning), but she's pretty new and you guys are often better sources of information! Thanks!

Not sure if you have already left but, maybe, you will check in by mobile phone (some here do) while you are gone.

In my opinion, if you have this worked out with your coach it isn't a problem.

You have choices. You can count your carbs, take an Atkins, Zone, or South Beach approach and stay in ketosis. OR you can eat like a phase 4 and plan a day this weekend that is off plan then jump back to phase 1. Or you can try a modified approach of eating one meal a day of plan and doing the rest as phase 1/2.

The waffle will have probably 20 to 33 carbs depending on if it is homemade or box brand. You will add fat and carbs when you add butter.

The lattes very but, a tall latte can be 11 to 14 grams of carbs. A skinny latte of the same size is 9 to 11 carbs.

WHY have what you don't like? If you like cake and the reason for the weekend and relaxed eating is the birthday, enjoy the cake. It will be the highest carb item you touch. It will likely make you feel sick(either headache, hangover feeling or, to your stomach) from the added sugar and fat which you aren't used to. You'll live! If you don't like it, don't eat it. If you do, once you have eaten enough to take you out of ketosis, enjoy the day, be aware of what you eat so you aren't over eating, but, you may as well, enjoy what you eat if you are thinking of having a planned weekend off IP and taking yourself out of ketosis.

Personally, I think you could do this weekend and stay in ketosis.

I think you could have a breakfast with eggs and vegetables scrambled, and share a waffle with someone (remember our ip pancakes? they are 13 carbs) Treat it as you would a restricted packet.

Then for lunch, do a phase 2 lunch (like dinner)

Have a normal ip dinner.

If you want to add some extras, go for things that won't add carbs. Cheese, caesar dressing or blue cheese dressing on the side, real cream in your coffee, or (for some carbs) some peanut butter or almond butter (no cashews), a small amount of avocado.

You can have some fruits. Think low glycemic... berries, green or yellow apples, pears, melon, and apricots. DON'T use dried fruit.

There are lots of ways to make this work.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I don't eat off program so I can't tell you from personal experience whether or not one waffle will throw you out of ketosis. But I can, in a clinical way, give you the figures.

One buttermilk waffle, 33 grams, has 102 calories and just under 16 grams of carbohydrates. About 3 grams of fat and only 1.36 grams of sugar. If you can eat low carb vegetables, and no fruit, cheese or milk for the rest of the day, you should be able to keep carbs for the day under 40. I don't think that will throw you out of ketosis, especially if you get some exercise, walk, etc. [Wine has LOTS of carbs.]

Latte. Does that have to have milk or cream? (I'm allergic to coffee so no expert here, either.) Just coffee with WF, da Vinci, or Torani no carb additions are perfectly OK. Starbucks uses the latter and they are supposed to stock the no carb, no fat, no calorie syrups.

But to the point. No matter where you eat or what you eat you should be able to calculate, if even roughly, total carbs for the day. If you stay below 30, you should never have a problem -- if you aren't loading up on fat. I think 40 or even 50 as a one off deal will probably be OK. I can't go that high because I have a very low metabolism. But you know better what you can tolerate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadancer View Post
Mrs Diettrich, I'll give you my personal experience. I decided (and talked with my coach) to have an "off" weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving. I had been totally faithful to IP for 7 weeks. For me, it wasn't just Thanksgiving. We live 4hrs away from all our family so a holiday visit is a big deal with many dinners to attend. It is also a chance for us to have 'fast food' that is not available in our small town. (Tacos are our favourite) No one in my or my husbands family knew I was on IP. I decided to have my regular shake for breakfast each day and an IP guided lunch. I ate at restaurants but tried to make healthier choices.(had the chicken fajita and left some of the wrap) I continued to drink all my water and take supplements. For Turkey day...full out incl. dessert.

This was more of a Phase 4 approach, but on the day I returned home I went straight back to Phase 1 with no problem. At my next weigh in (2 weeks since last) I was down 5lbs. I'm sure I was out of ketosis but my body jumped right back and recovered.

I'm not recommending this approach, just giving my personal experience. I enjoyed the weekend with my family and had absolutely no regrets.

Decide to do what you can feel good about. Are you going to enjoy the weekend while following IP or would you rather take a break, deal with the results and have no regrets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by losingitbaby View Post
My advice is to guesstimate how many carbs are in the things you're eating. If you want the waffle, use a calorie count-type site and figure out approximately how many carbs you're eating. I know a lot of people talk about sugar slowing down or throwing you out of maintenance, but I think it really boils down to how many EXTRA carbs are you eating on those off days. Those extra carbs are the ones that put that water weight & bloat back on your body. If you can tangibly count and limit how many extra carbs you're eating on your off weekend (which I believe everyone deserves once in a while) you will have an easier time getting back OP monday morning :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Not sure if you have already left but, maybe, you will check in by mobile phone (some here do) while you are gone.

In my opinion, if you have this worked out with your coach it isn't a problem.

You have choices. You can count your carbs, take an Atkins, Zone, or South Beach approach and stay in ketosis. OR you can eat like a phase 4 and plan a day this weekend that is off plan then jump back to phase 1. Or you can try a modified approach of eating one meal a day of plan and doing the rest as phase 1/2.

The waffle will have probably 20 to 33 carbs depending on if it is homemade or box brand. You will add fat and carbs when you add butter.

The lattes very but, a tall latte can be 11 to 14 grams of carbs. A skinny latte of the same size is 9 to 11 carbs.

WHY have what you don't like? If you like cake and the reason for the weekend and relaxed eating is the birthday, enjoy the cake. It will be the highest carb item you touch. It will likely make you feel sick(either headache, hangover feeling or, to your stomach) from the added sugar and fat which you aren't used to. You'll live! If you don't like it, don't eat it. If you do, once you have eaten enough to take you out of ketosis, enjoy the day, be aware of what you eat so you aren't over eating, but, you may as well, enjoy what you eat if you are thinking of having a planned weekend off IP and taking yourself out of ketosis.

Personally, I think you could do this weekend and stay in ketosis.

I think you could have a breakfast with eggs and vegetables scrambled, and share a waffle with someone (remember our ip pancakes? they are 13 carbs) Treat it as you would a restricted packet.

Then for lunch, do a phase 2 lunch (like dinner)

Have a normal ip dinner.

If you want to add some extras, go for things that won't add carbs. Cheese, caesar dressing or blue cheese dressing on the side, real cream in your coffee, or (for some carbs) some peanut butter or almond butter (no cashews), a small amount of avocado.

You can have some fruits. Think low glycemic... berries, green or yellow apples, pears, melon, and apricots. DON'T use dried fruit.

There are lots of ways to make this work.

I hope you have a great weekend.
Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I had planned to do this as a phase 2ish weekend, but that pretty much went out the window when we sat down to dinner last night and there was not a SINGLE THING that I could have eaten and stayed on program. It's always harder when with other people, because I can't pick where to eat each time! We are spending the weekend with another couple in a little bavarian themed town - lots of sausage, kraut, german potatoes, next to no salad. So, I decided to just enjoy myself this weekend (within reason) and will be right back to bootcamping it as soon as we get home tomorrow. It's basically 5 meals off program (though tonight I think I can stay on because of where we are going). I am okay with this, my coach is too and I'll take the consequences as they come. But guess what?! I got to meet AmyonIP here and that was fun.

Oh, and I did feel a bit sick to my stomach yesterday night. :-) The other funny thing was that when I took my blood sugar last night (my husband is diabetic and I like to check my sugars every once in a while), it was definitely reflecting the higher carbs. *shrug*
Mrs Diettrich is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #507  
Senior Member
 
ladyvrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bonney Lake,WA
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I had planned to do this as a phase 2ish weekend, but that pretty much went out the window when we sat down to dinner last night and there was not a SINGLE THING that I could have eaten and stayed on program. It's always harder when with other people, because I can't pick where to eat each time! We are spending the weekend with another couple in a little bavarian themed town - lots of sausage, kraut, german potatoes, next to no salad. So, I decided to just enjoy myself this weekend (within reason) and will be right back to bootcamping it as soon as we get home tomorrow. It's basically 5 meals off program (though tonight I think I can stay on because of where we are going). I am okay with this, my coach is too and I'll take the consequences as they come. But guess what?! I got to meet AmyonIP here and that was fun.

Oh, and I did feel a bit sick to my stomach yesterday night. :-) The other funny thing was that when I took my blood sugar last night (my husband is diabetic and I like to check my sugars every once in a while), it was definitely reflecting the higher carbs. *shrug*

I am jealous. I want to go to Leavenworth with you and AmyonIP how fun!! Did you watch the Christmas tree lighting??
ladyvrod is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #508  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!
 
Mrs Diettrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 756

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I am jealous. I want to go to Leavenworth with you and AmyonIP how fun!! Did you watch the Christmas tree lighting??
Yes, we did see it! And then went back to the B&B to warm up and dry out. I was so happy to realize that I've lost enough weight that I could wear leggings under my new jeans and they weren't too tight! Leavenworth got a foot and a half of snow in the 8 hrs we were gone. My car is such a mess... I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get home (I'm on my blackberry right now).

One more thing - I was looking at my driver's license tonight and realized that I'm 9 lbs away (or I was on Friday morning!) From my DL weight... That's closer to it than I was when I GOT the license! Hehehe. Night all.
Mrs Diettrich is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #509  
Member
 
MaryKate89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: delmar, md
Posts: 73

S/C/G: 216/206/168

Height: 5'5

Default

funny you mention your DL weight its my goal weight for now! i dont think ive ever really weighed that except when I got it when I was 16 haha
MaryKate89 is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #510  
Come on Spring!
 
Ruthxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Delta, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 26,840

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default

This thread has now exceeded the 500 post limit and has been closed.
Ruthxxx is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.