Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #346  
Sandra

S/C/G: 210/168/145

Height: 5'7"

Sweetshiela, tomorrow is another day and you can go back on plan starting again. I went off for a few days two weeks ago when my son got married. there was wedding cake, chocolate grooms cake, brownies, potato salad, wine , you get the picture. I did try to restart for three days, only to fail each time. but finally distracted myself with activities and planned out a sensible way back on plan. suffered through the headaches again too.
I know that I will probably cheat again, but I plan to do it smartly from now on. this may not work for you but I decided that since I am a carb addict I would find a few comfort cheat foods that woul not totally sabotage my diet. I bought some Atkins indulge bars that taste like snickers and mounds and if I feel like I need something sweet or car by I have half of one of those. It satisfies the craving for me and yet I am not getting the sugar rebound for more, Sometimes if I am really hungry I have another shake or some Greek yogurt with a tsp. Of peanut butter. These seem to not result in me wanting more carbs. Also I mash up cauliflower with some olive oil, lemon and garlic and I swear I am having garlic mashed potatoes!
Don't give up just get more motivated to find solutions!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #347  

SweetSheila - I went through a hungry phase a few weeks back. Not cravings, just hunger. I made sure to drink a ton of extra water and, if I needed to eat, had a salad or an extra IP protein packet or an egg. As long as you're making smarter choices when you feel this way I don't believe it will do irrepairable harm. I had a few weeks of low losses but then had two bigger losses in a row. Good luck to you!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #348  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

well, last night was my first planned "cheat".

I hit my original goal this week and even though I have decided I want to go lower (maybe 130?) I really wanted to celebrate. So, I made up "low carb margaritas"
1/4 c fresh squeezed lime juice (5 carbs)
1/4 c water
dash of orange flavor/oil
1/4 t xlitol
tequila to taste
(I put it in my IP shaker to get the xylitol to dissolve and besides it wouldn't be a meal if I didn't use my shaker!)

Then I had some low carb corn chips (bob's red mill) and my DH made fresh tomato-free salsa (5 kinds of hot peppers, cilantro, lime and onion), and sat on the deck with my feet up and felt like a princess. And had 2 more!

Dinner was a grilled tenderloin (I had planned on a juicy ribeye, but New Seasons was out!) sliced over an arugula salad tossed with fig balsamic vinegar, roasted hazelnut oil and olive oil and topped with red onion and soy nuts. And a bag of chocolate soy nuts for dessert.

Here is the interesting part...none of those "changes" in what would have been my old "recipes" (no triple sec, regular corn chips, tomato salsa, fatty rib eye, ice cream) felt like I was deprived. I felt hugely satisfied and pampered, but I bet the calorie/fat/carb levels were 1/2 or less of what that meal would have been in my previous life.

So, on the one hand I know I've set myself back on weight loss this week but on the other I am very excited that I have really learned (through this IP plan) how to eat better even when I am TRYING to overindulge. Fascinating.

I don't know yet if I kicked myself out of ketosis or not...I've only been awake (Pacific coast) for about an hour and I feel fine so far.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #349  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Ugh. Ordered a vodka soda lime last night. Had about 10 sips of it. Left 80% of it on the table. Then came home and ate an egg instead of the bar I wanted at 2:45 in the morning. Guess I should be happy that it was a minor cheat, but it was a totally emotional reaction. Back in the saddle.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #350  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
(I put it in my IP shaker to get the xylitol to dissolve and besides it wouldn't be a meal if I didn't use my shaker!)
Baaaaahhhhaaaaahhhhaaaa, I love the use of the IP shaker
Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #351  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietfrenzy View Post
struggling, i am.

well, i'm not sure why but i've been craving all kinds of nuts... not crazy people but the peanuts, and the cashews, walnuts, pistachios. i'm not sure how to control it! yesterday I almost finished off a big bag of dry roasted salted cashews all by myself... talk about fat, carb and calorie overload. i wake up and go to sleep thinking about them nuts. help! - dina
This is normal for how long you are on the program. Increase your omega 3 oils some. Also, on those days, add an extra amount of protein. GENERALLY, what I am reading says dieters who start to crave protein are doing it because 1) it adds healthy fats 2) it adds selenium 3) it adds protein 4) the part your body is sneaky about, it adds carbs.. somewhat healthy if you use fresh ground peanuts and not processed pb.

Walnuts, almonds, pistachio and peanut are the best choices for these nuts/butters. Cashew has about the HIGHEST amount of carbs of all these choices.

Try using the vanilla peanut restricted bar, even 1/2 of it, instead of having a pb cheat. OR, increase your oils a bit and add some low carb protein think another jello, pudding, or soup. It will keep you on track and add the missing nutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSheila View Post
Help I am going crazy........
Day before yesterday I completely lost control and had a pizza pocket, a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats, cheese, and several granola bars. Yesterday I got right back on it until afternoon hit and I had a blizzard, Dr. Pepper, and pizza. Told myself I would get right back on it today and I ate three granola bars for breakfast. I have not had this much trouble at all. I do not know what is going on. I am just hungry and wanting everything. I plan on doing a different phase to maintain for a month or two but I don't see my coach until Wednesday. What do I do? Do I change phases now and if so to what phase? Since I blew it.....if I do go to a different phase will I gain anything? Do I exercise and if I do will it affect me when I come back? What do I eat the rest of the day? Do I eat like phase one? Ahhhhhhhh
I just want to cry I have come so far
This is normal for people between 3 and 4 months in the program. I think you are in this window. What I have read is your body has adapted at that point to ketogenic processes and has become efficient at gluconeogenesis.
Gluconeogenesis (abbreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids.

It is one of the two main mechanisms the body uses to keep blood glucose levels from dropping too low (hypoglycemia). The other means of maintaining blood glucose levels is through the degradation of glycogen (glycogenolysis). [1]

"Gluconeogenesis is a ubiquitous process, present in plants, animals, fungi, and other microorganisms.[2] In animals, gluconeogenesis takes place mainly in the liver and, to a smaller extent, in the cortex of kidneys. This process occurs during periods of fasting, starvation, low-carbohydrate diets, or intense exercise and is highly endergonic. "

It actually becomes too good for some people at making "new sugars" and, you kind of get that "hungry" feeling again. Go back to phase 1, the first week when this happens and you should get back on track.

If you have a cheat, always do the next day as a strict phase1. But, if after an extended cheat you have issues getting back to the program ADD extra protein packets the first few days or week, just like in the beginning. It is worth the extra packets to get back where you want to be.

As your coach when you can but, my opinion is go back to phase 1 then use your coach to guide you thru phase2, 3 and on to maintenance. Do lose the benefits you have created for your body and make it harder to get back to this later by phasing off improperly. YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB SO FAR! Reap the rewards of your efforts by ending it properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
well, last night was my first planned "cheat".

I hit my original goal this week and even though I have decided I want to go lower (maybe 130?) I really wanted to celebrate.
Congratulations! Your menu sounded great! I am so happy you reached your weight goal!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #352  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

Default Gum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin for loss View Post
I miss GUM! I quit smoking 10 years ago and developed a heavy gum habit in its place. Whenever I was having a bad sweet tooth day, I would grab for the gum. I saw someone mention tic tacs so I got some and that poor little box didn't last the day! Anyone else struggling with this? Is it the sweetner that is a no-no. Maybe there are gums with splenda

I'm into week 3 but I find it's getting worse rather than better.

Sorry if this is a repeater - I have a terrible time trying to search this board.
Whole Foods Market has gum sweetened with xylitol...it's called Spry..$.99 a package...they also have the Spry mints $9.99 a jar (240 mints) Come in peppermint, spearmint, etc.

Marilyn
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #353  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

After 6 weeks of no cheats, I started having CRAVINGS!! Specifically for ice cream! I tried curbing the cravings by just having an extra bar....I figured having two high carb packets a day would be better than completely getting off protocol. Well, after a couple of days of this, I decided to go out to eat and splurge. I had steak, sweet potato french fries, and brusters ice cream....not just any old brusters, but chocolate caramel explosion with twix!! It tasted so good, but man does my stomach hurt now! Plus, I feel like I have taken a sleeping pill from the carb and sugar overload!!

For those of you who have gone off IP and then got back on, did you just start over as if it were day 1? I want to lose this weight and get back on track!! I am really hoping that this does not set me back too far!

Thanks!
Lisa
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #354  

S/C/G: 256/236/185

Height: 5 foot 9.25 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4972 View Post
After 6 weeks of no cheats, I started having CRAVINGS!! Specifically for ice cream! I tried curbing the cravings by just having an extra bar....I figured having two high carb packets a day would be better than completely getting off protocol. Well, after a couple of days of this, I decided to go out to eat and splurge. I had steak, sweet potato french fries, and brusters ice cream....not just any old brusters, but chocolate caramel explosion with twix!! It tasted so good, but man does my stomach hurt now! Plus, I feel like I have taken a sleeping pill from the carb and sugar overload!!

For those of you who have gone off IP and then got back on, did you just start over as if it were day 1? I want to lose this weight and get back on track!! I am really hoping that this does not set me back too far!

Thanks!
Lisa
I had one of those days - started with just a few tortilla chips and salsa and ended in eating a bunch of stuff. I got right back on program the next day, avoided restricted foods and vegies and kept loosing. Eating like that helped me realize that none of the food tasted that good, I still have disordered eating to deal with and that phasing back in food is inspired. Good luck getting back in the saddle again.
Jean
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #355  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordash View Post
I had one of those days - started with just a few tortilla chips and salsa and ended in eating a bunch of stuff. I got right back on program the next day, avoided restricted foods and vegies and kept loosing. Eating like that helped me realize that none of the food tasted that good, I still have disordered eating to deal with and that phasing back in food is inspired. Good luck getting back in the saddle again.
Jean
Thanks Jean! You are exactly right...the "bad" foods are so not worth it! My stomach is still not happy with me!! BUT I am back on track today and staying away from the restricted foods this week. Hopefully, I will still see a loss on Saturday!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #356  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

I had planned on not cheating at all while on IP, but that didn't turn out to be true after this weekend. My husband and I were out of town and were invited by friends to come over for dinner. I was worried about it since they didn't know I was doing this diet, but decided I could probably find something to eat.. just have the meat, etc. Well, they served spaghetti and spaghetti only.. except for the side of garlic bread. I decided to eat it to not be rude, and also decided that if I was going to cheat, I should enjoy it instead of worrying. Well, I did enjoy it.. I enjoyed it so much that the next night I ate white cheddar mashed potatoes and Cold Stone ice cream with chocolate chip cookies, caramel, and fudge in it!! I didn't feel too good after eating those things, but it did taste good. Cheating really is a slippery slope!

I'm back on plan today and I'm motivated to push through to the end!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #357  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus80 View Post
I had planned on not cheating at all while on IP, but that didn't turn out to be true after this weekend. My husband and I were out of town and were invited by friends to come over for dinner. I was worried about it since they didn't know I was doing this diet, but decided I could probably find something to eat.. just have the meat, etc. Well, they served spaghetti and spaghetti only.. except for the side of garlic bread. I decided to eat it to not be rude, and also decided that if I was going to cheat, I should enjoy it instead of worrying. Well, I did enjoy it.. I enjoyed it so much that the next night I ate white cheddar mashed potatoes and Cold Stone ice cream with chocolate chip cookies, caramel, and fudge in it!! I didn't feel too good after eating those things, but it did taste good. Cheating really is a slippery slope!

I'm back on plan today and I'm motivated to push through to the end!
I agree Katie...cheating is a slippery slope!! Were you able to stay on track yesterday? I thought for sure that it was going to be very difficult, but I didn't haven't any issues staying on track and staying away from the restricted packets! Thank God too b/c it only took one day for me to get back in ketosis!!!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #358  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4972 View Post
I agree Katie...cheating is a slippery slope!! Were you able to stay on track yesterday? I thought for sure that it was going to be very difficult, but I didn't haven't any issues staying on track and staying away from the restricted packets! Thank God too b/c it only took one day for me to get back in ketosis!!!

Have a great day everyone!
Yes, I did stay on track! It surprised me, too, that it wasn't too hard to do so. Glad you were also able to stay on track! Ketosis only took me a day as well, which made me very happy!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #359  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

oatmeal raisin cookie. on maintenance but still, really?!?!? was so not needed. Heading to gym in a bit so hopefully it will cancel each other out, unless the insulin spike is making my lunch turn into fat so sitting here willing my body not to do that in the next 2 hours till I work out.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #360  

I ended up having pizza last night I felt awful afterward and still feel sick today!!! SO not worth it!!! I am so mad at myself!!! Somebody please knock some sense into me!!! I want to be back on track like I was the first week with no cheats!!
Closed Thread