Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

A new tip my coach gave me today and I tried ... Yummy!!
Add 2 tbsp of the IP onion and garlic soy nuts and 2 tbsp of the IP sour cream and onion soy puffs to your salads, give a crunch and added flavor and doesn't add that many carbs!!!
Be sure to use a measuring spoon...2 tbsps of the soy nuts are: 46 Cal., 2grs fat, 3 carbs and 4gr. protein
2 tbsps of the soy puffs are....32 cal., 1 gr. fat, 2 carbs, and 4 grams of protien.
I loved the additional crunch in my salad!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #47  
Senior Member 2/12/2010

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranstonchicky View Post
Hi Everyone! I am new! My good friend Calgarygirlee told me about the site and IP! My first week I lost 15 pounds! I am feeling great! I am determined to win this battle this time! We were out for dinner last night and people were ordering nachos and calamari for appies and pastas etc for their dinner. I was so proud of myself- I ordered ice water with lime wedges, a salad with only cucumbers and lettuce (I brought my Walden Farms dressing from home) and dry cooked chicken breast with only zuchinni and mushrooms for my side- I felt so satisified and happy!
I look forward to "talking" with many of you and travelling on your journey's as well!
Welcome Cranstonchicky. We are happy to have you. You will get plenty of great tips from Calgarygirlee but we don't mind adding our two cents too. It's so helpful to chat with others in the same situation...
Mamaerinb I want to know when you have a Breyers bar and if there are any consequences. I am the original sugar addict and they would be a great treat for a few weeks from now.
kkjensenI felt lousy on and off about the first 3 weeks. especially low energy. Then it was suddenly over. I agree with your coach and seattle sunshine about an extra packet when needed. Extra olive oil helped me too.
Natural girl-- it was probably aspertame in the soda. I am always trying to avoid it but this was a moment when everyone was having much worse drinks and the diet orange crush sounded good. Who knew that diet soda could do so much damage??? Reminds me to ALWAYS read the labels, no matter what.
Elizabeth-Welcome home! hope you had the perfect honeymoon. Your pictures are just beautiful.
Journey'send-- You did it. congratulations!!! Now we all have to do a dance for Jordanna.... It will be soon. I just know it.

Last edited by HopefulTricia; 06-14-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
Add 2 tbsp of the IP onion and garlic soy nuts and 2 tbsp of the IP sour cream and onion soy puffs to your salads, give a crunch and added flavor and doesn't add that many carbs!!!
Be sure to use a measuring spoon...2 tbsps of the soy nuts are: 46 Cal., 2grs fat, 3 carbs and 4gr. protein
2 tbsps of the soy puffs are....32 cal., 1 gr. fat, 2 carbs, and 4 grams of protien.
That sounds yummy!! Like croutons or something. So you would count that as your IP Protein for lunch or just as a little extra? There is only 8 g of protein but 5 g of carbs so I guess it wouldn't be considered your package...?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #49  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
OH MY GOSH...I MADE IT THIS MORNING!!!! I AM IN ONEDERLAND...(just, but the scale said) TaDAAA 199.6 I did the happy dance all over my bedroom!!!!
You are on fire!!! I am so happy for you! I bet you have a great day ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Carla:

I'm a newbie here, but watched the spiral of the first post with no way to categorize and organize it like you so beautifully did. Thanks for your wisdom and perspective.

Jess
Thank you. I am glad to see you hear with all of us. Hopefully, despite the occasional "events", you will find this to be a very encouraging place. Say what you think, ask what you need. There will always be someone her who "gets" you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxigirl View Post
Thanks to all for the support on the bad hubby yesterday. I actually said "That is okay, at least I have my chat room" when he hurt my feelings. I have to say that he did spend the rest of the day trying to recover. Almost to the point of nausea! I don't think he even thought before he spoke. Maybe he will next time. Dieting is a very personal and sensitive process. I have tried and failed so many times that I am especially touchy. I know it is difficult for a naturally thin person to understand the constant battles of a compulsive overeater. I try to accept that and keep moving forward for myself.

I WILL MAKE IT THIS TIME!
You are so right!! Dieting is a very personal sensitive process! I don't know how many times that my BF and I have got into it over my diet. I usually just have to tell him, until he does it with me he doesn't get a say! He isn't a thin person by any means (6'5 and near 300 pounds) but, he is not a compulsive over eater and, although he loves good food, he isn't with a foodie's passion, doesn't think about food much at all. He just doesn't get why other people do. And, when I do this diet, all he sees is me obsessing on food. I try to explain but to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
Morning ladies!

Just wated to pop in and say good morning before I head off to work. Im excited today because the scale finally moved. Im down 4 pounds! It seems that perhaps I finally found the right balance between my work outs and my food to stay in ketosis and still work out as hard as I am doing. There may be a light at the end of this tunnel afterall.

Carla, as always, your posts say it all and say it the perfect way
Sassy!!! Great JOB!! 4 pounds, You amaze me with your success! You truly are being diligent in your efforts. Bravo!

And, Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed my "editorial"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSheila View Post
Novac and Carla,
Thank you for letting me know how to get to the new IP forum. It is awesome! I found this site by asking a question in google. Then when I signed up I couldn't find anything on ideal protein. I had to go back to google and that is how I found it. I am learning.......slowly but surely. Anyways thank you again!

Sheila
You are so welcome! I actually found this site by googling Ideal Protein too! The first post it took me to was one of Torchlakers!

Quote:
Showgirlaz: I love your quote!!!

I was at a Women's Rally on Sat. and they had the most amazing speaker there, she talked on the Joy of Living. She said that the way we talk to ourselves and how we treat ourselves makes so much difference in our lives.
Every morning we should get up look in the mirror and say "Good morning Beautiful!! We are going to have a wonderful adventure in life today!!" She also said that we should look at our bodies in a positive way, to love our bodies and ourselves. It was so up lifting!!!. If you are interested in checking out her website here is the addy: www.getitdunn.ca
Definitely going to read that site! I agree! What better way to change our lives than to change the way we see and treat ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
Thank you soooo much!

I am thinking of asking my fiance, I mean my husband ;-) as a reward for reaching my goal weight to take new pics in the wedding gown...hope he goes for it LOL
I love that idea!! Wont' it be an interesting comparison if nothing else!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Jayne View Post

@Carla - is there a thread about this? I am using Solstic (slim and energy both) (on advice of my coach) and I noticed the first non medicinal ingredient is maltodextrin. Can you give me more info? How much needed to cause insulin to spike? I notice weightlifters actually use it to GAIN weight but that is in the form of about 1/2 cup or so.
There is nothing on this that I know of. I got the info from the regional director in my area when we were taking about hidden issues in non carb foods. After that, I googled insulin glycemic load and maltodextrin.

http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php GREAT information here and relates it back to PCOS for those who suffer from it on the forum.

"Effects of maltodextrin on blood sugar
Maltodextrin is a carbohydrate and will have an effect on your blood sugar. It contains the same amount of carbohydrate and calories as sugar (4 calories per gram). It's easily digested and is absorbed even more rapidly than glucose. Maltodextrin has a glycemic effect of 106 - 136 (depending upon what chart you read) as compared to table sugar (sucrose) which has a glycemic effect of 65 and glucose which has a glycemic index of 100. So obviously, maltodextrin will affect your blood sugar, and in turn, your insulin levels. However, the degree as to how maltodextrin will affect blood sugar depends upon the quantity of it in the food product. Here's the problem - maltodextrin is included in the total carbohydrate content, so you really can't tell how much maltodextrin is in the product."

Here is a definition I found on a body building page:

Maltodextrin is a very low cost ingredient derived from corn. Although it is considered a complex carbohydrate and a glucose polymer, it has a very high glycemic index rating (this is a rating which determines how your blood sugar and hence insulin responds after ingesting carbohydrates). In fact, maltodextrin's rating on the glycemic scale is right up there with maltose which is glucose + glucose. That means it can cause a large insulin response which would be beneficial after a weight training workout but not beneficial other times of the day.

http://optimalhealth.cia.com.au/gi17.html was a very informative site.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa5.htm simple explanation of glycemic index and load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Sunshine View Post
Some advice please...
Here is an item I found on the menu...If I count the red peppers and the tomatoes as my "special no more than 2 times a week veggies" and ask for them to hold the artichokes do you think this might work?

Spiedini alla Pesarese
Grilled skewers of tiger prawns, scallops, red and yellow bell peppers; served over sautéed organic spinach, artichokes, fresh tomatoes and lemon
It could work! Just don't over eat! This sound so delicious I wouldn't know when to stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
I'm so excited, I got an email back from a local farm and after 2 years of waiting a spot came up in their community shared agriculture program, so for the rest of the summer I'm going to get fresh picked, organic veggies delivered to my door weekly!! Hooray! As an added bonus we can go work on the farm and learn more about where our food comes from which I think is a great thing for my little guy to grow up knowing! I already get all of my dairy, meats & poultry fresh from local farms....if only central Alberta had could provide all of my fruit needs I would be able to sustain my family 100% locally )
That is so great!! Tell me how it goes! I buy through our local farmers markets here and have just started looking into some of the CSA programs for fall. We have several farms that sell direct and do you pick it programs which are great! It has been a slow change but, I have really been working to get a more organic and healthy way of food in my diet. Do you know, does your CSA have Rhubarb??

Quote:
has anyone ever found a grate-able veggie/soy cheese? All I can find is cheese slice type veggie/soy cheese...it would be nice to have something I could grate over taco salad or in to soup or something.

Hey Lady5andy - where have you disappeared too? I miss your cute french accent
I have. It is a tofu based product.. GOSH, can't remember the name... HMMM. I thought I had some in my fridge but I don't. I will go by the store when out and get the package name for you. It is the best I have tried and it grates and melts down well. I got it initially for my sister, she has whey/cassein/milk allergies and this worked well for her and the kids.

AGREED!!! I miss you Sandy!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 151/133/125 (ID-June2nd)

Height: 5'3"

here's a weird healthy thing that's happening to me that I should mention! My whole family and I sneeze throughout the day at random times, and we have running noses all year round. When I wake up every morning, before I even touch my toothbrush, I need to blow my nose. It ranges from a little to very runny. Before noon, I find myself grabbing a tissue a handful of times and it slows down for the rest of the day. When I went to Mexico in April where it was very very humid, I decided to take note to see if I had improved - nope, it was all the same. I sneeze randomly that when I was doing my 2nd scuba diving lesson in the pool and I was underwater, I sneezed right into my regulator lol I had no warning at all so it was just a little startling but funny that I giggled a bit.

Even after 1 week into ID, I noticed an improvement! I'm not as stuffy, and I don't reach for my tissue packet from my purse as often! I'd say the sneezing, stuffiness, and runny-bit has decreased by 1/3! I might be a little more optimistic and say by half. It makes me wonder what kind of junk i was eating to cause all that
Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #51  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpchamp View Post
RE: MALTODEXTRIN Does Maltitol have the same bad affect or is maltodextrin about the worst? I think showgirlaz/Carla mentioned that xylitol was okay to have (sorry if I'm wrong about that) but how bad is maltitol????
According to the schedule of glycemic loads and glycemic index.

maltitol is just slightly better than table sugar and maltodextrin is one of the worst.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nut...a/maltitol.htm

the link below has a table showing the sugar alcohols in order increasing to table sugar by glycemic index value it doesn't go over maltodextrin because it is over the table sugar level.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #52  

A long long time ago there was a link for Dr. Tran Tien's book and for a website of his that had a bunch of recipes on it...I used to have the links and the book saved but when my hard drive crashed I lost all my links. I was wondering if anyone had them?

Thanks in advance!

Never mind - instead of being lazy I googled it and found it for myself

Last edited by jordanna; 06-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #53  

S/C/G: S/C/G -- 240/183.5/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieEH View Post
here's a weird healthy thing that's happening to me that I should mention! My whole family and I sneeze throughout the day at random times, and we have running noses all year round. When I wake up every morning, before I even touch my toothbrush, I need to blow my nose. It ranges from a little to very runny. Before noon, I find myself grabbing a tissue a handful of times and it slows down for the rest of the day. When I went to Mexico in April where it was very very humid, I decided to take note to see if I had improved - nope, it was all the same. I sneeze randomly that when I was doing my 2nd scuba diving lesson in the pool and I was underwater, I sneezed right into my regulator lol I had no warning at all so it was just a little startling but funny that I giggled a bit.

Even after 1 week into ID, I noticed an improvement! I'm not as stuffy, and I don't reach for my tissue packet from my purse as often! I'd say the sneezing, stuffiness, and runny-bit has decreased by 1/3! I might be a little more optimistic and say by half. It makes me wonder what kind of junk i was eating to cause all that
Yay! That is awesome! Something similar happened with me, I didn't have sneezey trouble, but I did notice that my night sweats are going away. I used to literaly wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat with no blankets and the A/C blazing, now I wake up and it is not nearly as bad as it was if I was sweating at all, saves me alot of time in my life, cause now I don't have to wash my hair everyday anymore
Old 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #54  

Even after 1 week into ID, I noticed an improvement! I'm not as stuffy, and I don't reach for my tissue packet from my purse as often! I'd say the sneezing, stuffiness, and runny-bit has decreased by 1/3! I might be a little more optimistic and say by half. It makes me wonder what kind of junk i was eating to cause all that[/QUOTE]

I'm interested in hearing more of these kinds of things from others. Not necessarily clothes fitting better, etc. but for instance - the pain in my knees has already significantly improved (I'm in week 3 with a loss of 13.4 pounds) as well another one that I noticed right away was getting into and out of the bathtub. Much easier - less pain - more flexible. Yes, I do have a significant amount to lose but these are things that I have noticed so early and it gives me great hope for the future. My main goal is to increase my physical health (I refuse to weigh and measure constantly) and I am very pleased to see some of these improve from the start.

Anyone else want to share?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #55  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
I really wanted croutons this weekend so I did this but I used the soy bbq nuts and I used the whole pack as my IP pack for lunch. Worked out perfect. Restricted so I wouldn't do it every day, but it was a nice change to have something salty and crunchy in my HUGE salad
Old 06-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #56  

Journeyend WOW !! THAT'S CRAZY ! You're the best keep up the good work

Kate You are beautiful !! And I think that's a really good idea to take pictures again ! We never have too much pictures of great times

Quote:

Hey Lady5andy - where have you disappeared too? I miss your cute french accent
Je suis là, je suis là !! Missed you all too

I read all your 3 blogs, and BF read the one with you little guy too. Your writing is amazing, and you have a lot to tell. You're truly an inspiration for me. I hope someday I'll have a beautiful family like you. I'm looking forward to read more and more of what you write

Quote:
That being said - I'm not positive but I don't think you're allowed to send PM's until you've been on the boards for 20 or more days and have a certain # of posts. (might be wrong, but that's what I think it is...)
Yes, for me it was 20 days, and something like 20 post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post

AGREED!!! I miss you Sandy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthia View Post
I really wanted croutons this weekend so I did this but I used the soy bbq nuts and I used the whole pack as my IP pack for lunch. Worked out perfect. Restricted so I wouldn't do it every day, but it was a nice change to have something salty and crunchy in my HUGE salad
With some chicken and big romaine leaf + WF cesar, it's making a really good cesar salad

I just totally got crazy sunday, I don't know what happened but let's just say that I went crazy and gained like 3 pounds Not happy about myself at all, so I'm doing a ''no cheat challenge'' for myself, does anyone want to join ? Kinda like the 10 pounds challenge Jordanna, but without excel sheet because I don't know how I can really keep track of that... I'm trying to keep myself focused, but today is my little (and only) brother 18 birthday (majority here in Quebec), and I'm feeling kinda sad about the fact that I cannot drink a beer for the first time legally with him..

Last edited by 1FCuser; 06-14-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Default Nsv

Just got back from a four day camping trip to watch a NASCAR race. I was so nervous about going and being on IP. I took lots of shakes, veggies and a couple of chicken breasts that I grilled one night the week before. It was really hard to see everyone eating track food and drinking beer. I love beer. But I'm so proud to say that - I DID IT! I made it through the trip without cheating. I did have more protein bars than I normally do because they are easier to haul around than the shakes, but that was it.

Stacey

Last edited by Stacey41; 06-14-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post
[B]
Je suis là, je suis là !! Missed you all too

I read all your 3 blogs, and BF read the one with you little guy too. Your writing is amazing, and you have a lot to tell. You're truly an inspiration for me. I hope someday I'll have a beautiful family like you. I'm looking forward to read more and more of what you write

I just totally got crazy sunday, I don't know what happened but let's just say that I went crazy and gained like 3 pounds Not happy about myself at all, so I'm doing a ''no cheat challenge'' for myself, does anyone want to join ? Kinda like the 10 pounds challenge Jordanna, but without excel sheet because I don't know how I can really keep track of that... I'm trying to keep myself focused, but today is my little (and only) brother 18 birthday (majority here in Quebec), and I'm feeling kinda sad about the fact that I cannot drink a beer for the first time legally with him..
Thank you so much for the compliments on my blogs - I love writing them so it's nice to know that once in a while people read them too!

Sorry to hear you had a hard day on Sunday, at least you got right back on program today and didn't let it get the best of you. That sucks that you can't drink a beer with your brother...some people have said that vodka & diet soda doesn't effect the diet (other than it being empty calories) so I suppose it would be a good alternative
Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 159/148/125

Height: 5.5

(
Quote:
That is rough. I had to go to a work party where everyone was drinking (I know - not the same thing) but I had a club soda with a splash of cranberry - and I mean only a splash cause I watched the guy like hawk - and a lemon wedge. It tasted really good and looked like I was just having my fav mixed drink. Just a thought to get you through.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post
I'm trying to keep myself focused, but today is my little (and only) brother 18 birthday (majority here in Quebec), and I'm feeling kinda sad about the fact that I cannot drink a beer for the first time legally with him..
I wonder how bad it would be to have a shot glass full of beer to celebrate? That way you can still celebrate (a little) and not feel so sad. It's so much harder to stay motivated when you're feeling down.

Does anyone know if that amount would cause a problem? Just looking for an idea to keep you happy AND on track.

Stacey
Closed Thread