Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 164.2/164.2/130

Height: 5' 6 3/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
For breakfast, I usually have 2 eggs, 2 slices toast, and 1 cup low-fat, plain yogurt mixed with 1 cup blueberries or other fruit. If I don't want to deal with eggs, I mix half a scoop of protein powder with the yogurt and fruit. I take a multi-vitamin, 2 fish oil capsules, a probiotic, and a potassium pill with breakfast.

For lunch I might have a pork chop or chicken, veggies, cheese, and a large salad with 1 tablespoon olive oil mixed with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and basil. I take 2 fish oil capsules with lunch.

I usually have a bar for a snack.

For dinner I might have meat, veggies, and baked potato and/or bread or 5-7 ounces cooked spaghetti with meat sauce and veggies. If I have less noodles, I might also have a piece of bread. I usually have some fruit for dessert. I take a multi-vitamin and 2 calcium/magnesium pills with dinner.

I take 2 calcium/magnesium pills at bedtime.

What kind of protein powder have you gone to? My Mom passed away quite young from breast cancer, and I am a bit concerned now that maybe I shouldn't be using the soy protein? Any info/advise from anyone?

Thanks!
/Lori
Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #92  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
UGH I can't wait until phase 4 - I was watching my husband eat a baked potato last night and couldn't help but think...5 more days, 5 more days!!
Did you start phase 4 yet???
Old 07-04-2010, 05:50 AM   #93  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Novak: What you say totally makes sense -- and I'm guessing that you're right, and that's why some of the phase IV materials say that a cheat day is mandatory. However, sometimes I think that their materials leave a lot to be desired -- telling people the reasoning behind it might make them more likely to do it.

Question for the (lucky!) Phase IV folks...can you give me some examples of what your day's meals look like, if you're following the 'maintain' plan like they suggest? It'll be awhile before I'm on it, and although I get the concept, I have a little trouble seeing what actual meals might look like.
I follow the general maintenance (Phase 4) guidance: go out and enjoy your life in your new body. I have the protocol on my refrigerator and the basics in my head, but I don’t stress if I don’t do everything exactly as written on the paper. Rather, I try to eat healthy, eat only until I am satisfied, separate the fat and carbs, get in protein 4 times a day, consume my carbs at dinner rather than lunch, and incorporate a cheat/recovery cycle each week. I consider myself to still be in learning mode, and adjusting to how differently my body responds to food now.

I try to have a good breakfast, similar to what I ate in Phase 3, though sometimes I don’t get all components in. For example, I may do the 2 eggs, toast, veggie cheese and bacon, fruit and yogurt. Or I may only have time for fruit, yogurt and muesli all mixed up in a big bowl. At work I stick with that, but usually add a piece of toast with peanut butter. I always have coffee... Starbucks half-caf on work days, and brew my own on the weekends.

At lunch, I may have a salad or just veggies with a protein. I may have tuna salad, or egg salad, or a salad with shrimp or salmon on top. I keep fruit in my office, yogurt, and premade drinks. Sometimes I only get a chance to grab peanut butter on an apple and a premade protein drink at my desk, but that was often the case before the diet, as well. I stay away from sandwiches. I may have a piece of fruit in the afternoon, or not. I still drink mostly water - no soda or juices.

In the evening, I often whip up some kale chips before dinner, and settle in with a glass of wine or perhaps a cocktail. Dinner is usually a bowl of pasta with veggies and a good commercial marinara-type pasta sauce, with a small portion of grated Romano (or other) cheese. I do not generally measure my food, except the protein (fish, scallops, etc.) I sometimes use tofu as the protein, and either stir fry or incorporate into the pasta sauce with fresh veggies – spinach, mushrooms and asparagus are favorites this time of year. I do rice and stir fry some evenings, using the same proteins and whatever seasonal vegetables are available. If I want dessert, I usually stick with something fruit-based.

I still have an evening protein snack, per the protocol. I keep the premade vanilla, mocha and chocolate drinks on hand, though sometimes I’ll grab a handful of nuts or cucumber and hummus. I dropped the morning potassium supplement per the Phase 4 protocol, but still do the multi, cal-mags, and fish oil; I also have enzymes and anti-oxi.

As I mentioned previously, I was concerned that I was still losing before I started incorporating a cheat scenario, so I pushed the envelope to see what it would take to gain some back. Then my sister came to visit and I was moving her into Phase 2, so I largely went back to that phase for a few days – though I enjoyed a lovely birthday dinner out, dined al fresco with a good bottle of wine, and consumed more than my share of bread. (In deference to her continued weight loss protocol, we had Lindora chocolate cake for snack later that night.)

I lost the weight I’d gained, and more. I am going to step back into maintenance a bit while she’s still here, but not the dinner pasta. Still, it was very interesting to see how quickly I got back into ketosis and immediately lost the weight. The whole notion of retraining your body is very true for me, and I like the control I now command over managing my weight. I think that's really the beauty of this diet.

Does that help?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #94  
:)

S/C/G: 222/195/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I follow the general maintenance (Phase 4) ... I lost the weight I’d gained, and more. I am going to step back into maintenance a bit while she’s still here, but not the dinner pasta. Still, it was very interesting to see how quickly I got back into ketosis and immediately lost the weight. The whole notion of retraining your body is very true for me, and I like the control I now command over managing my weight. I think that's really the beauty of this diet.

Does that help?
As you know, you've been one of my biggest motivators since I started here in March!!! Well, when I saw your name, as the last one to post in this thread I had to come read, and what do you know, you're still inspiring to me. I'm glad you all have this "Life After Phase 1" thread however, I miss you on our main thread! So I will come here and check in on you all from time to time until I can join you here!!! I'm so glad you're doing well. Congrats and Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I thought I post here since I started phase II yesterday.

I feel so guilty actually having a lunch. I know I am NOT eating more than I should but feel so full. It doesn't really help that I can't have nicotine sticks while with parents either. Everything seems to be over whelming me basically. I did come fully prepared though, I actually went to trador joes prior to coming up here and bought many of their already packaged and ready to microwave vegetable packs.

I am not going to ramble anymore but I tell you if I haven't gained by the end of this week I'll be surprised.

Really hope I don't.

me.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Wow, Novak and BevS, thank you so much for the help. I can absolutely see myself eating that way in the future, although after this it just seems like so much food!! And the breakfasts in phase III!

I appreciate the help, thank you!

JC
Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #97  

Hey everyone - moved to phase 4 over the weekend while I was away which basically turned in to a giant cheat weekend...blurg.

Today I'm going back to phase 1 for a day to hopefully mitigate my damages.

Clearly I'm not cured of my fat kid ways.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #98  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hey everyone - moved to phase 4 over the weekend while I was away which basically turned in to a giant cheat weekend...blurg.

Today I'm going back to phase 1 for a day to hopefully mitigate my damages.

Clearly I'm not cured of my fat kid ways.
But now you have the tools to manage the problem. Just keep flexing that splurge/recovery muscle and your body will get accustomed to the cycle without thinking it has to store the "damage."
Old 07-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #99  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Would anyone like to start a recipe thread for Phase 3 and Phase 4 eating? It would make for an exchange of recipes that don't work in phase 1 and 2. I noticed we don't have any recipes in the threads that are for later phases, perhaps with somewhat higher carbs or other elements that come in to play later?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJHA View Post
What kind of protein powder have you gone to? My Mom passed away quite young from breast cancer, and I am a bit concerned now that maybe I shouldn't be using the soy protein? Any info/advise from anyone?

Thanks!
/Lori
I use NOW natural-flavored whey protein isolate, which doesn't change the taste of whatever you add it to. You can make it any flavor you want by adding the Walden Farms syrups. I buy it from netrition.com, 5 pounds for $48. They charge $4.95 shipping and handling, no matter how much you order.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #101  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
As you know, you've been one of my biggest motivators since I started here in March!!! Well, when I saw your name, as the last one to post in this thread I had to come read, and what do you know, you're still inspiring to me. I'm glad you all have this "Life After Phase 1" thread however, I miss you on our main thread! So I will come here and check in on you all from time to time until I can join you here!!! I'm so glad you're doing well. Congrats and Thanks!
Nice of you to say

I do swing by the chat thread every so often to check on you and a few others, but rarely do I find that I can offer up much Phase 1 information that others don't have to share. Guess that's a good thing. Still, know that I am watching... and when it's time for you to transition, I hope you find the info and support here that you need to succeed with managing your weight over the long haul! IP is truly is quite remarkable in that regard, and I know you will not squander the opportunity!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #102  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Would anyone like to start a recipe thread for Phase 3 and Phase 4 eating? It would make for an exchange of recipes that don't work in phase 1 and 2. I noticed we don't have any recipes in the threads that are for later phases, perhaps with somewhat higher carbs or other elements that come in to play later?
Hmmm... interesting thought. Perhaps others have some recipe ideas, but here's my position:

Phase 3 is Phase 2 except for the breakfast, which is mostly combinations of food for me... no special recipes. And my still evolving characterization of Phase 4 is that there are no "IP diet recipes" per se. I am back to eating normally within the general guidelines I've discussed here before, along with making healthier choices than I had before the diet. Where I'm going with this is that the internet is loaded with low carb, healthier choice type recipes, and I can also adapt old favorites by applying these same principles. And when I have "cheat days" I can eat what I want, though somehow I don't seem to "want" the same things I used to want.

I think the other issue with trying to capture later phase recipes in a separate thread, is that most "graduates" move on, and there is not a large pool of potential contributors.

So maybe those of us still around can post what they come across: good web sites to find recipes, specific tips or meals, or whatever they have discovered as they take on the maintenance phase...

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

day 5 of phase II and at least 2 pounds lighter since day 1. Yeab... happy.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #104  

Loving maintenance. It's so nice to just feel normal again I felt hungry the other afternoon and had an apple...and took so much pleasure in just getting to have an apple because I wanted one

The only thing about maintenance I'm still working on is a)wrapping my brain around no sandwich at lunch time and b)deciding what to have as a carb for dinner (it still feels wrong lol).

Welcome to phase 2 pita
Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 173/164/144

Height: 5'2

Default Phase 3 Stumble

Hi Everyone,

I have been on IP since May and I have been reading your posts regularly. My coach offers minimal information, so your knowledge and experience has been greatly, albeit quietly, appreciated.

I have lost 23 pounds and I have entered Phase 3 a week ago. When I started Phase 2 the pounds flew off (I was a very slow loser in Phase 1). Now that I am in Phase 3 I am having physical and pyschological issues about adding carbs and eating all that food for breakfast! The scale hasn't moved this week so that doesn't help me get over my fear of eating more food. (Just to clarify, I don't have an official eating disorder, I'm just a little neurotic by nature )

I am managing to eat 2 eggs, 1-2 ounces of cheese and 1/2cup of berries at breakfast. Lunch & supper follow protocol. I haven't been faithful with my snack. Sometimes it is IP, other times it is nothing and last night I had SF jelllo with a bit of cream. The last few days I can feel that I am out of ketosis. I have been having cravings for junk food, low energy and a fuzzy mind. I am tempted to go back to Phase 2 for a few days and then try Phase 3 again and force myself to eat the full breakfast as prescribed. I am going on a long road trip in 3 weeks and had planned to be in Phase 4 by then!

I feel like I have worked so hard and stuck to the program without fail and now I have managed to mess it up as I am on the home stretch. Yikes!

I would value your input, ideas and opinions. Thanks.
Jen
Closed Thread