Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Definitely. Because you're starving your body since you're not in ketosis for that one day, but you're having half your normal calories (or less).
thanks, that makes perfect sense. I really want to do this but I guess I didn't plan it correctly. I'll have vegetables and salad for lunch and save my shake for couple of hours before GYM and we'll see how it goes. It will be a tough day but its only one day I assume.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #407  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I would count it like I do Greek yogurt... as my protein. I'm just not that obsessed in Phase 4... I'm learning to live with the "uncertainty."
Tooo true my friend, hard to switch the brain out of IP phase 1,2 & 3 (certainty) mode... I dont have a scale this week, so this is going to be a true test, see how things go on my return, I am not stressed about it, just making good choices, getting in exercise and enjoying my family, I am not really even tempted by much but then I do the cooking so I can make sure there are lots of good things to eat. I will have the cottage cheese for my lunch protein tomorrow.....
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #408  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
Tooo true my friend, hard to switch the brain out of IP phase 1,2 & 3 (certainty) mode... I dont have a scale this week, so this is going to be a true test, see how things go on my return, I am not stressed about it, just making good choices, getting in exercise and enjoying my family, I am not really even tempted by much but then I do the cooking so I can make sure there are lots of good things to eat.
PERFECT! Already mastering Phase 4, you are.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #409  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Bump
Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #410  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Wowweeee... way to many threads to keep up with these days.... I hope I am not missing much on the others but I only have limited internet time so my first stop is always here...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #411  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

Default Back on track!

Hi everyone!

Decided to drop by to give some news!

As told before, started phase 1 again last week to get rid of my careless vacation gain and getting the results again! This time, I added another objective: to run 5 km by my b-day! Leg cramps are back but motivation is high...

Take care and cannot wait to get to phase 3 - planned Sept 4...
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #412  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Bump-a-rooney.

Also, a question for the phase-4 IPers: how closely do you follow the 'eat carbs at dinner instead of lunch' advice of Dr. Tran? I re-read his book this week and thought it really made sense about when slow carbs are available to us after eating them, etc. Do you eat any protein at dinner? I'm thinking about what kinds of things to eat at dinner.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #413  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
Hi everyone!

As told before, started phase 1 again last week to get rid of my careless vacation gain and getting the results again! This time, I added another objective: to run 5 km by my b-day!

Take care and cannot wait to get to phase 3 - planned Sept 4...
Sylvie! Always nice to have you stop by. Glad the course correction is well underway... the BIG breakfast is waiting for you!

Excellent idea to do a 5k. When is your birthday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Bump-a-rooney.

how closely do you follow the 'eat carbs at dinner instead of lunch' advice of Dr. Tran? I re-read his book this week and thought it really made sense about when slow carbs are available to us after eating them, etc. Do you eat any protein at dinner? I'm thinking about what kinds of things to eat at dinner.
Thanks for the bump!

I follow that rule pretty religiously. It works well for me because the carbs digest easily, and since I'm up by 4:00 every morning, I go to bed fairly early. I know the book doesn't stress protein at dinner, but the Phase 4 protocol sheet does, and that's what I go with. If I'm having pasta, I often use tofu in the sauce, or throw in some shrimp. I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish. I'm big on scallops, halibut, salmon, occasionally tilapia. If I have a separate main dish, I may cook up some rice... though I'd have to say I'm really perfectly happy eating pasta with seasonal veggies and protein several times a week, especially since fresh produce is so abundant this time of year. We'll see if the menu changes come autumn.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #414  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Default Maintenance report

So, I just returned from a trip to New Hampshire to visit family, where I joined my sister in the fourth week of her Phase 4 adjustment period. We enjoyed our usual Phase 3 style breakfasts each morning, lunches per the Phase 4 protocol (no carbs), and dinners of pasta/seafood/veggies and limited fat. We enjoyed wine in the evenings… sometimes with hors d'oeuvres before dinner as well as with the meal. Sometimes afterwards, also. And a protein bar for snack before bed (Luna, Lindora, etc.)

We didn’t count any of this as a cheat. But when we celebrated our mother’s birthday, we dined without any particular regard to rules… then ate cake. It was my first real dessert since January , and it tasted SOOO good. That was at lunch time; we each had another piece after dinner. At that point, my sister asked if we should do a recovery day. I told her the cake pretty much pushed us over the line into official “cheat” territory, so we decided to drop back to Phase 1 the next day.

My weight was still sitting within my usual 3-4 pound window before I started the recovery day, but it was lower by a pound and a half this morning. Even so, it was pretty anticlimactic, which I consider to be a good thing. I probably averted any gain, and my weight stayed within range. That's exactly as it should be. And much as I enjoyed it, I don’t feel like running out and eating more cake today.

Maintaining is becoming routine, and I don’t stress out about the weight fluctuations. Some experimentation is still underway, as I have now committed to a half marathon in November, and training will likely alter the effects of playing a little loose with the guidelines on the weekends. I’ll just stick with the routine I have, and see what happens with more exercise in the mix. I may consume more than I have been, but I’ll continue to watch the scale a few times a week, and take note if my clothes feel tighter.

All in all, maintenance is going very well for me, and it’s getting easier for my sister, also. As always, it was fun to get together. I hadn’t seen her in person since she reached (then surpassed) her goal. She is now a size 2, which is where I predicted she’d end up. It’s really quite astonishing, and we still can’t believe the results. Between the two of us, we lost nearly 90 pounds. It makes a huge difference when we look in the mirror, and it certainly made a difference when we went on a trail run along the lake Sunday morning. Very nice.

I love IP.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #415  
Nichole

That's awesome Novak! Thanks for keeping us updated like this. It truly makes the idea of maintenance less frightening!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #416  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Sylvie! Always nice to have you stop by. Glad the course correction is well underway... the BIG breakfast is waiting for you!

Excellent idea to do a 5k. When is your birthday?
My birthday is on Sept. 20. Funny how good it feels to run now as there is less to carry... Last time I ran, I must have been over 220!

Half a marathon? Wow, that is something! I commited to a 10k next year... (Montreal marathon early Sept)

Last edited by SylvieG; 08-19-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #417  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
My birthday is on Sept. 20. Funny how good it feels to run now as there is less to carry... Last time I ran, I must have been over 220!

Half a marathon? Wow, that is something! I commited to a 10k next year... (Montreal marathon early Sept)
The weight makes an incredible difference! My last half was miserable... it was January, and I was 56 pounds heavier. I did 11.5 miles a couple of weeks ago and it was no problem! So I decided I might as well tack on a couple more miles and join my siblings in November.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #418  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Bump-a-rooney.

Also, a question for the phase-4 IPers: how closely do you follow the 'eat carbs at dinner instead of lunch' advice of Dr. Tran? I re-read his book this week and thought it really made sense about when slow carbs are available to us after eating them, etc. Do you eat any protein at dinner? I'm thinking about what kinds of things to eat at dinner.
I usually follow it, but sometimes I just want a sandwich at lunch, so I go ahead and have a grilled chicken sandwich or something like that. That way I am still not combining carbs and fats, even though I am having carbs (bread) at lunch. I eat protein at every meal, including dinner. Most of the time, I eat some sort of meat or fish, but if I'm not in the mood for meat, I have yogurt and/or whey protein.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #419  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Hello,

just to chime in here about maintenance:

I have to say that I was rather worried during the first week of being on maintenance BUT the most important thing that I have learnt is to not be worried as much. I have eaten whatever I wanted within reasonable amonths and my weight has only fluctuated about a pound up and down.

how do I eat: basically phase 3 with added startch at dinner time. I do have snacks which are usually either fruit, cheese and sometimes a protein shake. Again I have realized that it all has to do with portion control.

I am really enjoying myself these days, I don't feel I am on a "diet" any longer but that I am a healthy eater.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #420  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
I am really enjoying myself these days, I don't feel I am on a "diet" any longer but that I am a healthy eater.
That's a HUGE NSV! Take a bow In fact, I think that is the victory of this program.
Closed Thread