3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Life After Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/204492-life-after-phase-1-a.html)

Novak 08-06-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannabeIP (Post 3423949)
I havent been able to find a real high protein cereal, without a massive amount of carbs... what kind you got? I was also thinking about using the IP oatmeal, I love oatmeal I could make my own and add protein to it ?, I just have to find some of that Any Whey. I am also looking to get soy flour and possibley quinoa flour, mix that and protein in those breakfast bars.... really good, then I would be getting in everything at once, perfect... I got my order of black soy beans, sugar free pickles & relish, wraps, muffin mix, soy nuts for phase 4, one more week baby...
Veggie face not bad.... you hadda called me string for brains -thems would have been fighten words ;) after all I am what I eat!!!!

In Phase 3, I used the Alpen Muesli they reference in the protocol write-up. In Phase 4, I use Kashi Go Lean Crisp... but still just enough to add to my yogurt. Don't forget to add the protein from all the components... the bread, the peanut butter, etc. Greek yogurt has lots of protein... do you use that?

pitakitten 08-06-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannabeIP (Post 3423949)
I havent been able to find a real high protein cereal, without a massive amount of carbs... what kind you got? I was also thinking about using the IP oatmeal, I love oatmeal I could make my own and add protein to it ?, I just have to find some of that Any Whey. I am also looking to get soy flour and possibley quinoa flour, mix that and protein in those breakfast bars.... really good, then I would be getting in everything at once, perfect... I got my order of black soy beans, sugar free pickles & relish, wraps, muffin mix, soy nuts for phase 4, one more week baby...
Veggie face not bad.... you hadda called me string for brains -thems would have been fighten words ;) after all I am what I eat!!!!

I love the unsweetened alpen muesli plus nonfat greek yogurt and either a cup of berries OR 2 chopped up apricots plus have a piece of toast and almond butter.

I am starting phase 4 on Sunday and I think for now the only change I am going to make is to have one cup of pasta or rice with dinner, add another piece of fruit to my day and 1 oz of cheese. I wont change the breakfast as its working well for me. I think not changing things drastically so as to not make a mistake would be good for me for atleast the first week.

Novak 08-06-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitakitten (Post 3424019)
I love the unsweetened alpen muesli plus nonfat greek yogurt and either a cup of berries OR 2 chopped up apricots plus have a piece of toast and almond butter.

I am starting phase 4 on Sunday and I think for now the only change I am going to make is to have one cup of pasta or rice with dinner, add another piece of fruit to my day and 1 oz of cheese. I wont change the breakfast as its working well for me. I think not changing things drastically so as to not make a mistake would be good for me for atleast the first week.

Hey, you've been eating my breakfast! :)

Your Phase 4 approach sounds very sensible... just sticking your toe in the water before you jump in. :swim:

xanthia 08-06-2010 12:44 PM

I was looking at the Alpen museli in the grocery store and almost had a heart attack when I saw the carbs. The carbs listed at 41g and phase 3 has no more than 30 for grains. I mean, it seems to work for everyone but I was shocked when I read the label.

pitakitten 08-06-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novak (Post 3424033)
Hey, you've been eating my breakfast! :)

Your Phase 4 approach sounds very sensible... just sticking your toe in the water before you jump in. :swim:

:) I really like it! I have to say that I NEVER had breakfast before, maybe a banana and it was always the death of me because by 10 am I would be having a pastry so aside from weight loss etc, this diet has given me the appareciation for having a healthy breakfast.

Thanks for the confirmation re phase 4, It will be hard enough to begin with as am visiting parents for a few days when I start it AND as a result wont be exercising at all. I was thinking maybe I should actually wait till I get back home before having the rice as I can work out then too but then again my mom cooks the best rice dishes. decisions...decisions.

pitakitten 08-06-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xanthia (Post 3424053)
I was looking at the Alpen museli in the grocery store and almost had a heart attack when I saw the carbs. The carbs listed at 41g and phase 3 has no more than 30 for grains. I mean, it seems to work for everyone but I was shocked when I read the label.

true but that is for 2/3 of a cup. We are having 1/3 cup which makes it 20 carbs - 2fiber = 18 gr net carb. This means you still need more carbs which I get from my half a piece of whole wheat low carb toast.

Novak 08-06-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitakitten (Post 3424074)

Thanks for the confirmation re phase 4, It will be hard enough to begin with as am visiting parents for a few days when I start it AND as a result wont be exercising at all. I was thinking maybe I should actually wait till I get back home before having the rice as I can work out then too but then again my mom cooks the best rice dishes. decisions...decisions.

It took my sister almost a week to add the complex carbs at dinner... then she forgot the protein! Do what you think is best. You're where you want to be, so you're not going to screw anything up by doing a Phase 3.5 before you commit to Phase 4. :D

xanthia 08-06-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitakitten (Post 3424085)
true but that is for 2/3 of a cup. We are having 1/3 cup which makes it 20 carbs - 2fiber = 18 gr net carb. This means you still need more carbs which I get from my half a piece of whole wheat low carb toast.

A hah! That makes MORE sense! I can't wait until I can have some mixed in greek yogurt. MMM.... one of my fave breakfasts!

WannabeIP 08-06-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novak (Post 3423980)
In Phase 3, I used the Alpen Muesli they reference in the protocol write-up. In Phase 4, I use Kashi Go Lean Crisp... but still just enough to add to my yogurt. Don't forget to add the protein from all the components... the bread, the peanut butter, etc. Greek yogurt has lots of protein... do you use that?

No I havent been able to find low fat greek so I have been using just a plain yogurt.... I have been doing things slightly different but results are the same, I use the 30 carbs from grains, 20 carbs from fruit, no more than 120 cals for dairy, 25 gr protein and no more than 15 fats.... and adjust accordingly - keeping it all under 500 cals, I like to make up my own thing. This morning, I had 1 cup strawberrys, 1/2 cup yogurt, 2 ww pancakes w/maybe a 1/4 cup blueberrys, 1 tbsp ground golden flax, 1 tsp chai seed, 1 tsp ground almond and a protein shake, I think I am 30 gr protein, about 60gr carbs, 6 fats and I use soy milk in the pancakes so I get probably the 120 cals... usually I have the yogurt, berrys and then add eggbeaters, english muffin and soy cheese which works out about the same on fitday. The natural breaky seems to under 400 cals.....I will check for muesli

mamaerinb 08-07-2010 10:23 AM

what is the significance of fruit in phase 3? fruit is just sugar. i have NEVER been a fruit person, fruit and fruit juices have always given me massive headaches. should i adjust my breaskfast to include more dairy or whole wheat toast to compensate for this? i can sometimes get away with a couple of gulps of orange juice if it's absolutely necessary but i'd really rather stay away from fruit :/

joggingirl 08-07-2010 02:00 PM

Ideas Phase 4 Veg Mexican Dinner

I'm trying to plan one of my favorite dinners - mexican. I used to get a whole bean tostada (basically salad on top of a flat tortilla, with whole beans on top). Would I count it as a "carb" meal if I eat it with no cheese or guacamole, or count it as a "protein" meal if I eat it with no tortilla, but I can add the guac and cheese - would I then need to avoid the beans as they're too carb-y? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Novak 08-07-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joggingirl (Post 3425772)
I'm trying to plan one of my favorite dinners - mexican. I used to get a whole bean tostada (basically salad on top of a flat tortilla, with whole beans on top). Would I count it as a "carb" meal if I eat it with no cheese or guacamole, or count it as a "protein" meal if I eat it with no tortilla, but I can add the guac and cheese - would I then need to avoid the beans as they're too carb-y? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

If it's a favorite, I'd be inclined to do it right and have it on a cheat day. That way you don't have to worry about it, and you can enjoy it the way you like it.

Would that work?

joggingirl 08-07-2010 04:53 PM

Yes, that's a good idea, thanks!:D

BevS 08-07-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joggingirl (Post 3425772)

For beans to be a complete protein, you need to add a grain (beans and rice, for example) so I would count it as a protein, have the tortilla and/or some rice, and go very light on the cheese and/or guacamole (if at all). If you use the black soybeans, they're very low in net carbs. But beans are so healthy for you, and this is Phase 4, after all. I wouldn't wait for a cheat day.:)

Novak 08-07-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevS (Post 3426175)
For beans to be a complete protein, you need to add a grain (beans and rice, for example) so I would count it as a protein, have the tortilla and/or some rice, and go very light on the cheese and/or guacamole (if at all). If you use the black soybeans, they're very low in net carbs. But beans are so healthy for you, and this is Phase 4, after all. I wouldn't wait for a cheat day.:)

Nice photo, Bev! And good info, as always. :)