Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #211  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWagner1121 View Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen! Today was my 3rd day on the IP diet. I have had such bad cravings for pasta, and particularly alfredo sauce. I was hoping that I can get some tips and tricks from those who are more experienced with this diet. It seems like I am never satisfied. How long did it take all of you to over come these cravings? I am really feeling like at this rate, the diet is going to do nothing for me because I am going to be miserable!
Your brain is adjusting to not having quick and easy glucose for fuel. It will adjust, possibly as soon as tomorrow. Most of us experienced a decrease in cravings and hunger once that adjustment was made and our bodies started creating more ketone bodies to fuel our brains. Sometimes the adjustment occurred dramatically and overnight, for others it was a gradual process of 1-2 weeks.

If it becomes unbearable, here are a few ideas:
- have an extra packet, though
not a restricted packet (Bars, puffs, ridges) unless you haven't had one that day
- eat a hard-boiled egg (or egg cooked another way you like)
- add a little more fat I usually had 3-4 tsp of oil daily, 2 tsp more than IP Phase 1 recommends
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 255/239/130

Height: 5'3"

I am 10 days in, not hungry but experiencing bad constipation. I've tried drinking more water, taking a stool softener, and upping my vegys. Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #213  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I am 10 days in, not hungry but experiencing bad constipation. I've tried drinking more water, taking a stool softener, and upping my vegys. Any ideas?

You can take a product called calm ( it is magnesium based), you can also try ionic fizz (also magnesium based).

You could try using the salt water flush described in the FAQ thread. It helps some people.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #214  

Height: 5'2"

Default Sweet and Salty

Have a salty snack craving? Try a little sea salt on top of your vanilla pudding. ...that sweet and salty combo is delicious!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 283/241/133

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWagner1121 View Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen! Today was my 3rd day on the IP diet. I have had such bad cravings for pasta, and particularly alfredo sauce. I was hoping that I can get some tips and tricks from those who are more experienced with this diet. It seems like I am never satisfied. How long did it take all of you to over come these cravings? I am really feeling like at this rate, the diet is going to do nothing for me because I am going to be miserable!

Help me PLEASE!!
Pasta, pizza, rice, bread, cake, pie, ice cream - you name it!! - I've struggled with the cravings, too. What I've done for myself (and I'm only 5 weeks in) is focus on the products I really like and make those my 'treats' and shun the products that are just 'so so' for me. I use the oatmeal in the a.m., or a bar, and puddings and drinks with meal or for snack. Sometimes I eat my pudding or drink my drink BEFORE I eat my veggies!! Makes me feel decadent! I also use my water liberally. When I get a craving, I grab my water bottle and try to down at least 8 oz right away. If that doesn't work, I refer to the quote (and forgive me because I don't remember whose it is) that I found on someone's signature line while perusing this site: "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!" (Thanks to the person who posted that!!!)

I've tried the soups and the omelet, but I have a real sweet tooth, and I was really dreading having to eat those again after the first two weeks, so I switched to the things that I like, and it's much easier. Also, go to the recipes threads and learn from those who have the experience! There is probably a recipe that will be similar to what type of food you are craving, and you can experience the taste without cheating.

I know many here despise the Walden Farms products, but other than the ranch dressing, which I DO NOT like, the other dressings I've tried I've enjoyed. As a result, I'm hoping to try a number of their other products. My coach went out of state yesterday, and promised to stop at a location that offers more than just 4 flavors of dressing to pick up some options. One of the things I'm hoping they had is the Alfredo Sauce. If so, I will let you know how I like it!

Sherilyn
Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #216  

Reposting this from a daily thread conversation. It is some tips on how to make being out and about or, dining out easier while on the diet.

I have kinda changed my "emergency bag" several times and it depends a bit on what I am doing and for how long.

I now use a med-large cosmetic bag with a plastic liner in it (helps if something leaks) and keep everything in there.

Here is my list:

one days worth of vitamin supplements
a packet (pill pouch) of real sea salt
stevia sweetener and splenda (both dry, stevia in plain and vanilla)
a walden farms italian dressing packet or two
Soy nuts (garlic and onion usually)

a chocolate pudding or wild berry yogurt ( I mix the chocolate pudding with about 2/3 of a 16 - 20oz water)
a mango drink (one of the best choices for low blood sugar but, you can also use pineapple or orange)
a few herbal tea bags (it's easy to get hot water, this fights cravings, adds variety & counts toward your water)

Sometimes soy puffs or a bar (that doesn 't work well in summer heat)

Sometimes I add my English toffee liquid sweetener and carry a vanilla RTD if I am going to a coffee date with a girl friend. Starbucks has steamed my RTD and added it to a tall or grande coffee in a venti cup for me

Sometimes I make my own salad dressing, place it in a screw top container, then place in a ziploc to prevent accidental leaks. It is great to know what I am going to eat and have the right type of dressing that tastes better than WF.

(the medula breast pump style storage containers are AWESOME ) http://www.target.com/Medela-Breastm...372950-0189922

If I am going to be out a long time or out where I will be very active, I might take some cooked chicken breast, hard boiled egg whites, along with veggies.

Veggies are frequently with me but, they are so easy to walk into a grocery store and purchase. I tend to stop there now instead of convenience stores. I can get bottled water, deli sliced meats that are low sodium and 0 carb, salad (just romaine in a package or a caesar in a bowl at the deli and toss the goodies), and precut veggies. It is super easy.

I found the best way to take my cut up veggies and keep them cold was to use 2 to 3 ziplocs. I place my cut up veggies in one. Then I place that in the second bag which is holding a small blue ice container or two. That can go in a lunch bag or other bag or, I put it in a 3rd ziploc and shove it in my oversized shopping bag for when I am out and about.

http://www.fit-fresh.com/products/bags/
http://www.fit-fresh.com/products/tr...onchill2cp.php
I use the ice packs out of the above container. I do use the container frequently but, not as often as the packs!

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Ice-Ma...sim_dbs_hpc_21

This kind of thing can work too but isn't as small and can leak.

OH and, if you want a smoothie or shake, know you'll be out a long time, you can make it up, freeze it, take it with you and it will defrost to drinkable. I found it tastes pretty much the same.

I hope that helps in some way.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 03-08-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #217  

The topic of constipation comes up frequently for those on this diet. Here is a tip I learned about that can help overcome those moments without exposing yourself to too much magnesium. It was posted on March 3rd thread and think it is on page 3?

Just some ideas.

Have you thought about doing a sea salt water flush? It will work for many people and very quickly.

Use 1 liter of water and between 2tsp and 1 tablespoon of sea salt (you can adjust this to your body response as some people may require a tsp or so more.)

Mix a solution of sea salt and room temperature water.

Drink the solution as quickly as you can. You may feel a bit full but keep drinking. If you take to long it will make your gag reflex activate. The high volume of salt and water will rapidly move through your system. It will not leave you with a high sodium impact for the day.

Once you take the solution, you will have to be on guard, a bowel movement WILL be shortly coming. Sometimes it is a fast 5 or even 15 minutes, but generally in 30-60 minutes between taking it and the first movement. The last movements will begin to wind down an hour or so after they begin. Typically you will have between 2 and 7 bowel movements and the effects of more free bowel movements may last 2 days.

Your stomach will rumble a bit and for awhile. Let it. You also should be careful to avoid passing "gas" that might not be. When you finally go, it will at first be a lot of the solution, water really. That is just the start.

Most people prefer to do this in the comfort of there home, in the evening or at a time when they will not have to leave for several hours.

************************************************** *********************************

Other suggestions:

Some people increase their vitamin C.
Other people add psyllium (metamucil or benefiber type products look for low to zero carb)
Some people use novi-lax from their IP provider.
Still others use the magnesium citrate laxative from the pharmacy. Some take a tbsp a day others only use it once a week.
Some try dieters tea by laci le beau or other senna based laxative tea.

Others on here have regularly added ground flax seed to their diet. Ground flax is high in fiber so you only get 1 carb per serving (acceptable) and has the same effect as adding psyllium. Both have been recommended by coaches. The nice thing if you choose to do the ground flax seed, you can make a type of "bread" with it. It is very low carb, you only get one piece in a day. Bread recipe is for flax seed foccacia on a google search or in the recipes 2 forum thread here.

You can also add products like calm and ionic fizz. They are taken daily, are magnesium based and, if your problem stems from that, work quite well.
http://www.calmnatural.com/
http://www.pureessencelabs.com/IF_Ma...ements-rl.html

If you are not getting enough oil you will also become very constipated on a regular basis. That might be something to explore. Try increasing your olive oil a little each day.

Try starting your day with a cup of warm water with a bit of lemon juice. The lemon juice is very cleansing and helps get things going.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 03-08-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #218  

S/C/G: 175/159/125

I am in week 2 of IP and decided to find an online support group. One google search and ta-da Tips for Newbies (that's me!!! ). thanks for all the tips and encouraging posts about how everyone got through the cravings.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #219  

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbugg View Post
I am in week 2 of IP and decided to find an online support group. One google search and ta-da Tips for Newbies (that's me!!! ). thanks for all the tips and encouraging posts about how everyone got through the cravings.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

don't forget to join us over on the main page! You will find lots of great topics and the current daily chat happening on page one. Dig deeper through all the old threads of conversation and you will find a wealth of information.

Glad you are here!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #220  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Good morning all. Here is to another 100% IP day.

Yesterday's and the start of todays thread seems to be filled with frustration, anger, disappointment and wanting to quit. I want to offer some words of encouragement to all of those who may fall in these situations. I know first hand this protocol works, I have seen it work wonders for my mother and father in law. My 2 sister in laws are doing this as well with great results.

This program really is no miracle. It does not work overnight as many of us did not get where we are overnight. This protocol takes dedication and the want from ourselves to change our ways and physical appearance. We have to dig down deep to resist the urge to say "screw it" and give up. It is not torture or punishment, this protocol, it is drastic change of how we were living and eating. Sure many "things" have been taken away from us but not for good. Everyone is having success on this plan, some slower than others, some faster than others. I do believe it greatly depends on the amount of starting weight to lose and being male or female. Those of us who have more to lose, it does seem to come off quickly. For those who do not have that much to lose, it is slower. I too am waiting for my weight loss to slow as I get closer to my goal each day.

We have to give our bodies time to adjust and relearn how to eat correctly. This is not a race, it is a marathon. Yes the IP protocol is expensive, but so is the "old" lifestyle we were living in more ways than just money. Many of us have children and want to enjoy them more than our "old" selves could. Some of us have grandchildren that we want to be healthy for and enjoy. The cost can be offset if you look into "alternative" products. Follow the same protocol just with different "packets". This method does work, but I will tell you it takes a bit more dedication on your part to follow.

I am 50+ pounds into this journey. I do not want to look back only keep on trucking to the finish line of a healthier me. Have I struggled, yes. Will I struggle again, yes. Might I gain a few pounds here or there later on, probably. But I know now how to counteract a bad day or a few bad days. I know how to eat better. I have motivation to not "screw" up and ruin what I have worked so hard for.

We can all do this. At times we will have to dig really deep to find the courage and will power to continue, we can all do it. Find support with your family, friends, coworkers and even strangers. Don't be ashamed you are on a diet or protocol. Be encouraged you are changing your life for the better. Who cares what we onced weighed, embrace what we are becoming and what we will look like after the marathon is over. Find your support, be it here, home, work, gym, moms group, church or whatever. Find support and do not do this alone.

I am not a great writer, but just wanted to share some thoughts. WE CAN ALL DO THIS! Some peoples marathon is longer than others, but we all have the same goal and finish line ahead of us. Please continue the journey to the new "US". This is life changing for the BEST.

Make a committment today and finish our marathon! Get closer to your goals and reevauluate those goals come time you are closer. Some may want to lose more, some may really say I am happy with where I am and don't need to lose that last 10 pounds. This is all a personal choice.

Together we can finsih. Have a great day and here is to 100% protocol!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #221  
Started IP on 1/3/2011

S/C/G: 308/308/150

Height: 5' 2"

***Novi-Cleanse***

Taken from paperwork given to me by my Coach

General Description:

Novi Cleanse is a 23 day program consisting of 3 different products designed to help the liver, the kidneys, and the colon to eliminate accumulated toxins in the body. This program enhances the Ideal Protein Diet because, as we deplete our fat stores, toxins stored in the adipocytes are released. Occasionally the release of these substances may make us feel tired, "headachy" or even produce rashes. Quite possibly the liver may be stressed because in addition to burning fat and producing ketone bodies, it now has to handle these toxic substances. In blood work, some people will see certain liver enzymes slightly elevated....again this shows the liver maybe under a mild stress. This is where NOVI-CLEANSE can help!

General Guidelines:

Never start a new dieter on the cleanse! Many clinics reason that if they "clean up the system first", the dieter will be better results. This is not true. In the beginning of the diet we want to help them through any initial withdraw symptoms, let them get "comfortable" with the protocol, and experience the wide variety of our foods. Basically we want to keep this starting phase as simple as possible and adding the cleanse here will not only complicate their regimen but also may add to the possible withdraw symptoms. After the dieter has been on the program for a minimum of 4 weeks AND IS FEELING WELL, you may now contemplate adding the cleanse.

If a dieter has a chronic condition such as IBS, Crohn's Disease, Hepatitis, etc., and is in a "FLARE"....do not start the cleanse. You will only start if they are feeling well!

Directions:

Day 1
After breakfast take: 1 Novi Renal and 1 Novi Pur Capsule
After supper take: 1 Novi Renal and 1 Novi Pur Capsule
At bedtime take: 1 Novi Lax Capsule

ALWAYS DRINK AT LEAST 2 LITERS OF WATER PER DAY THROUGHOUT THE CLEANSE!

Day 2-23:

After breakfast take: 2 Novi Renal and 2 Novi Pur Capsules
After supper take: 2 Novi Renal and 2 Novi Pur Capsules
At bedtime take: 1 to 3 Novi Lax Capsules*

*The purpose of the Novi-Lax is to normalize elimination via the bowel. The goal is to have a "Soft bowel movement daily". Some people will only need one capsule per night to achieve this, others may require up to 3 or 4 capsules. NEVER exceed 4 capsules per night.

This product will not cause dependency on laxatives, but those who have "sluggish" bowels may want to use this as an ongoing maintenance product once the initial cleanse is completed. Again, always make certain the client is getting enough water throughout the day, 2 liters is the strict minimum, 3 maybe more appropriate. Clients should be encouraged to do a yearly or even a bi-yearly cleanse as part of a comprehensive plan of preventative health maintenance.

This product should not be used by women who are pregnant. Women who are breast-feeding should not us this product (The whole cleanse that is, the Novi-Lax by itself is fine) unless their pediatrician recommends it. As with any medication, if any unusual symptoms appear, the client should stop the program and report this to the clinic where it will be evaluated.

Hope this helps everyone!

Last edited by Beachbella; 03-12-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #222  
Started IP Jan 5 2011

S/C/G: 186/155/120

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you BeachBella and Carla for the very useful information.

BeachBella, I was going to do the Detox and was given the same information by my Coach, with BOLDING on the IBS section:

Quote:
If a dieter has a chronic condition such as IBS, Crohn's Disease, Hepatitis, etc., and is in a "FLARE"....do not start the cleanse.

I have IBS that is medicated with Hyomax and this is important information for those like myself who have more than the occassional IBS flares but is a "chronic condition". Thank you so much for posting that information for others here. as I just recently received the same information.

Carla I really appreciate the extra effort you make to provide very helpful information, I always look forward to your posts.

In addition to the information supplied by Carla about Calcium and Magnesium, here is some IP information I received yesterday at Weigh In because I have been struggling with serious Big D since January when I started IP. I have posted about my struggles to pinpoint what is causing this elsewhere on the forum and hopefully this will be the last elimination I have to do to get back on track

In my case, it would be a Magnesium sensitivity. This isn't an issue with the actual Natura product but with the individuals specific sensitivity or response to anything whether that is food, chemical, environmental, etc., I think it is important to recognize that when we start IP our bodies are changing. In my case it has been about 9 weeks of Big D and I'm greatful that I have a good coach and the physician overseeing the IP program who are concerned and didn't give up trying to get the information from IP to help me overcome the challenges I'm facing while on the program

My thanks to the other members here who also provide helpful information so us IP'ers can be successful
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cal Mag Issues.pdf (91.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #223  

Default ideal protien

I am so frustrated! I have been on ideal protein for 3 weeks...week 1 I lost 7lbs, week 2 and 3 nothing..I am following the plan 100%, not cheating at all! my coach doesn't know why i am not losing! I need help!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 193/165/140

Height: 5'1"

Red face tomorrow is the day

Okay people, tomorrow is day 1!!! I need to know what to expect from those of you out there in the trenches! I am super motivated but a bit apprehensive. Although the majority of information i have received is positive, I have heard of people getting sick, vomiting, headaches and absolutely no energy. give me the straight facts please. thanks ever so....
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #225  

S/C/G: 168/148.5/140; start 01/19/11

Height: 5'6"

I was so excited to find out about WF products, thinking this would be a great way to add some flavor to things and use in recipes. However, everything I have tried from there has a funky taste that I just cannot seem to stomach. Has anyone else experienced this with this product and WHAT IS that funky taste??? So disappointed that I don't like it!
Closed Thread