Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/156/125

Height: 5.2

Default Is bigos (hunter's stew) allowed on IP?

Hi everyone I am new to IP and dont know much about foods. I was wondering if anyone knew if we can have polish bigos (hunter's stew)? i know it has tomato paste but other than that its just cabbage, sauercraut and sausage and meat scraps, well ... and some seasonings I guess I feel so guilty bc I had some and now Im worried it will push my weigh loss back by days
zabka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

This sure does sound good! Something to store away for later as I don't know the answer to this. I am a creature of habit so don't really try out the delicious sounding recipes.
motiv8edmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8edmama View Post
This sure does sound good! Something to store away for later as I don't know the answer to this. I am a creature of habit so don't really try out the delicious sounding recipes.

Maybe Zabka can comment on how good she thinks the recipe in the link below would be. I noticed that the tomato paste in the Bigos is optional as is the prune. IF those 2 items were left out OR... if the tomato paste is used in a very small portion, it would be a perfect recipe for Ideal Protein PHASE 1.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/387982
Here are the ingredients:

Basic ingredients:
Meat for veal stew
Pork shoulder (cubed)
Meat for beef stew
Onions, rough chopped
Sauerkraut
Dried Polish mushrooms (soaked, reserving the strained soaking liquid)
Boczek (Polish pork belly, like salt pork or slab bacon), chopped into pieces
Polish sausage (I like krajana sausage from Sikorski Meat Market), chopped into pieces
Stock cubes (not actual stock, too much liquid)
Peppercorns
Bay leaf
Caraway seeds
Red wine

Optional:
Some tomato paste
Prunes

THERE ARE MANY Bigos stew recipes. They all seem to contain a fruit like prunes or apples or carrots, sauerkraut, tomato paste, and pork. From there it varies by adding bacon or additional stew meats. Here are a few for review. I wish I knew what tastes the best but, for that, we need to ask Zabka!

http://www.soupsong.com/rbigos.html
This recipe uses 2 cups tomato for the ENTIRE recipe so, you could leave the tomato in if this were your occasional food for the week.

http://culture.polishsite.us/articles/art347fr.htm
Has carrots which would need to be removed and tomato which would need to be reduced in quantity. Uses a red wine,..... probably tastes great but, I don't know what to do with that. Unless it cooks very long, you wouldn't want to use much if any red wine. Cooking it long enough would reduce the sugars and alcohol from the wine and just leave flavor.

The next link is also a Bigos but it uses corn and apple which would have to be removed.
http://polishfoodrecipes.blogspot.co...ew-recipe.html
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote