Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #241  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post

I've juste made a FitDay Calorie. I want to keep track of EVERYTHING I eat. I don't really understand how it work but.. let's try.

And I really want a signature Hope it'll be soon!!

Oh and Jordanna, I went on your FitDay, and that's why I've decided to create one for me, but I've seen ''IP vanilla pudding'' and other IP stuff on your foodlog, and I'm not able to find it in Fitday. Where is it ?
Hey lady - you have to create those items yourself by going to "create a custom food" link on the left side of the screen and put in all the nutritional values for the foods you eat. Once you've done it once you don't have to do it again! You can find the nutritional values for most of the IP foods on this chart:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nutritional Fact Sheet.pdf (16.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #242  

S/C/G: 174.1/149.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Jordanna, where abouts in Alberta are you? I'm in Red Deer!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hey Pita - that's sauteing your food which is totally allowed. Frying food would be to submerge it in oil and let it fry until crispy and browned...that's not allowed.
alrighty then...I have never submerged anything into oil (for cooking that is) thanks.

Last edited by pitakitten; 05-26-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #244  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSuzy View Post
Hey Jordanna, where abouts in Alberta are you? I'm in Red Deer!

Hey Disco - I'm just outside of Edmonton in a town called Morinville
Old 05-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #245  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrook View Post
I just have to get off my chest that I'm really hungry and sort of food obsessed today. Actually, I was yesterday too. I know its TOM issues. I want food! I swear I've never been typically ravenous with PMS until this diet. This will be my second cycle since I've started. I don't want to cheat. Help. I need some support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeseebaby22 View Post
To Showgirlaz:

Example Of My Weekly Journal.

Monday: Breakfast- 9:30am Chocolate Drink Mix
Lunch- 12:30pm Salad W/ Vanilla Pudding & ("sometimes" 2 Cups Of Veggies),
Dinner- 6:30pm Tilapia W/ 2 Cups Of Spinach,
Snack- 9pm Pudding Or Hot Ip Drink
Your daily food looks OK.. A little low on the salads and maybe low if you are skipping veggies too often. YOU REALLY need all your food. even if the salad is just a cupful side salad try to get in 2 a day.

You don't say what water you are taking but it should be around 3 liter bottles. Also, you don't say how much oil you are using. You need between 1 tsp and 1 tbsp a day

Also, you don't mention if you are using any extras: drinks, sodas, sweeteners, salad dressings, even garlic powder (2 carbs per tsp) can add up.

Keep in mind, cooked spinach is a high carb food. 5 carbs per cup. So if every day you are doing 2 cooked cups (measured before cooking) you will add 10 carbs, that is like another packet a day!

Try switching it up with some broccoli, cauliflower, or zucchini if you like it.

You also don't mention if you are getting in 1/2 tsp of real SEA SALT.
Are you taking the potassium?
Are you getting in 1200 to 1500 mg calcium a day?
Are you getting at least 600mg of magnesium?

You mention a women's one a day vitamin. Is that the brand? Are you doing this with IP or on your own? If you are doing this on your own... YOU MUST FIND a really high quality multivitamin comparable to the IP vitamins.

You didn't mention if you are still Breast Feeding or near TOM.. It could be an effect.

ALSO, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... If you had a good loss at the end of the first 7 days, and a just a few days into your second week.... RELAX... you don't need to weigh every day. Just do the program correctly. Even if you did the program right for 30 days and only weighed every 30 days. IT WILL SHOW!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #246  

Important question about glucose levels while on this diet:

my test results from my annual came back yesterday, everything was normal except I have high potasium levels which is probably due to taking them IP pills. BUT what is odd to me was that my glucose levels were higher than they normaly are, I don't have the number with me but it very close to being on the border of too high. I found this by doing a quick google search (High blood glucose levels (over 250 mg/dl) are one sign that the body may have high levels of ketones circulating in the blood. This can progress to a serious complication called diabetic ketoacidosis. Testing the urine is one way to check for ketones) but I want to know if anyone else has noticed this or not. I would have thought glucose would drop and not be higher.

can anyone explain this to me?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #247  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post

my test results from my annual came back yesterday, everything was normal except I have high potasium levels which is probably due to taking them IP pills. BUT what is odd to me was that my glucose levels were higher than they normaly are, I don't have the number with me but it very close to being on the border of too high. I found this by doing a quick google search (High blood glucose levels (over 250 mg/dl) are one sign that the body may have high levels of ketones circulating in the blood. This can progress to a serious complication called diabetic ketoacidosis. Testing the urine is one way to check for ketones) but I want to know if anyone else has noticed this or not. I would have thought glucose would drop and not be higher.

ketoacidosis is a HUGE DANGER for someone who is diabetic, but not for someone just doing a ketogenic diet. for diabetics, they don't want to have high ketones circulating and those test strips are made for them actually diabetics test everyday and hope for negative ketostick results we WANT them because it's a sign our body is burning fat. unless you are diabetic or have a history of diabetes in the family, i wouldn't worry about it too much. hope that helps a little.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #248  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
ketoacidosis is a HUGE DANGER for someone who is diabetic, but not for someone just doing a ketogenic diet. for diabetics, they don't want to have high ketones circulating and those test strips are made for them actually diabetics test everyday and hope for negative ketostick results we WANT them because it's a sign our body is burning fat. unless you are diabetic or have a history of diabetes in the family, i wouldn't worry about it too much. hope that helps a little.
Thanks, I got that part, but why is it that my glucose levels are higher than they were before?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 245/220/140

Height: 5'6"

I think I'm allergic to rhubarb and broccolli. I am getting the worst stomach cramps with either of these. I'm going to run out of acceptable veggies!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #250  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post

You need to discuss the results and this diet with the doctor who ordered your blood work. Don't wait, don't debate it. DOES YOUR DOCTOR KNOW you are using a Ketogenic diet?

It could be harmless but, it is NOT worth ignoring.

In a normal functioning person a ketogenic diet is not a problem. It is a problem for diabetics. There are also a few other conditions where this type of diet is not compatible. (kidney, liver, cancers, some genetic issues,... are afew)

In a normal person on a ketogenic diet, we reduce carbs, glucose drops, glucagon is released from the pancreas signaling the liver to burn off the glycogen which is converted to glucose UNTIL WE RUN OUT of glycogen THEN, we begin what our body perceives as starvation, start burning fat, build ketones, enter Ketosis.

Ketoacidosis occurs when the level of ketones in the blood gets out of control, this happens because ketones are acidic only as long as they are floating around waiting to be burned. If the level of ketones in the blood rises out of control it would lower the pH of the blood and this could result in death. BUT, this is not a concern for the non-diabetic whatsoever because for the non-diabetic blood sugar levels are kept low by our bodies and it will only allow so many ketones to be manufactured at one time.

In a diabetic, and for a few other conditions, the mechanism that keeps the blood glucose in check doesn't work well. In the diabetic person blood sugar can rise as high as 300-2000mg/dl, where as normal being around 80-120. Also when this happens the low insulin to glucagon ratio causes ketogenesis to be stimulated, this is where the person can run into ketoacidosis.

There are a few conditions that can ketoacidosis in healthy people of non diabetic or previously mentioned issues. Persons who have eating disorders, some alcoholics, and persons going through a severe/acute illness with a lot of vomiting or diarrhea (conditions that cause dehydration) can develop ketoacidosis too.

There are many people who are undetected borderline, prediabetic, diabetic people. For your health, especially since a Dr ordered your blood work, you should discuss the meaning of the results and your concerns with him.

Although some of the members of this forum may have extensive knowledge, research skills, and/or be members of the medical community NON of us is qualified to give you medical advice. AND, if you are concerned about a condition as serious as ketoacidosis your concerns should be directed to a professional who has the whole picture and knows YOU.

Please tell us what you learn.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 05-26-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #251  

Height: 5'8"

pita
yeah, what carla said!

great info carla, as always!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #252  

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
You need to discuss the results and this diet with the doctor who ordered your blood work. Don't wait, don't debate it. DOES YOUR DOCTOR KNOW you are using a Ketogenic diet?

It could be harmless but, it is NOT worth ignoring.

In a normal functioning person a ketogenic diet is not a problem. It is a problem for diabetics. There are also a few other conditions where this type of diet is not compatible. (kidney, liver, cancers, some genetic issues,... are afew)

In a normal person on a ketogenic diet, we reduce carbs, glucose drops, glucagon is released from the pancreas signaling the liver to burn off the glycogen which is converted to glucose UNTIL WE RUN OUT of glycogen THEN, we begin what our body perceives as starvation, start burning fat, build ketones, enter Ketosis.

Ketoacidosis occurs when the level of ketones in the blood gets out of control, this happens because ketones are acidic only as long as they are floating around waiting to be burned. If the level of ketones in the blood rises out of control it would lower the pH of the blood and this could result in death. BUT, this is not a concern for the non-diabetic whatsoever because for the non-diabetic blood sugar levels are kept low by our bodies and it will only allow so many ketones to be manufactured at one time.

In a diabetic, and for a few other conditions, the mechanism that keeps the blood glucose in check doesn't work well. In the diabetic person blood sugar can rise as high as 300-2000mg/dl, where as normal being around 80-120. Also when this happens the low insulin to glucagon ratio causes ketogenesis to be stimulated, this is where the person can run into ketoacidosis.

There are a few conditions that can ketoacidosis in healthy people of non diabetic or previously mentioned issues. Persons who have eating disorders, some alcoholics, and persons going through a severe/acute illness with a lot of vomiting or diarrhea (conditions that cause dehydration) can develop ketoacidosis too.

There are many people who are undetected borderline, prediabetic, diabetic people. For your health, especially since a Dr ordered your blood work, you should discuss the meaning of the results and your concerns with him.

Although some of the members of this forum may have extensive knowledge, research skills, and/or be members of the medical community NON of us is qualified to give you medical advice. AND, if you are concerned about a condition as serious as ketoacidosis your concerns should be directed to a professional who has the whole picture and knows YOU.

Please tell us what you learn.
I actually have a pre existing appoitment for tomorrow so I will talk to him. He knows I am doing this diet and again my levels are not higher than what they should be BUT if memory serves me correct, they are higher than my tests a few months back. I was mainly wondering if anyone else on this diet who is a memeber of this board has had the same experience or not.

I will post as to what he says tomorrow.

Last edited by pitakitten; 05-26-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #253  
Ideal Protein beginner

S/C/G: 268/257.5/190

Height: 5'6

WOW That Makes Alot of Sense. Thanx Showgirlaz.

Well I Drink-3 (34oz) Jug Of Water Per Day-"no Sodas Or Sweetners, Strictly Water"
I Sprinkle On My himala Sea Salt
I Spray On My extra Olive Oil
My Coach Gave Me trace Mineral Drops
I Am Close To My Tom So Im Hoping That The Problem But I'll Try Green Peppers Tonight. I Was Thinking About Making Stuffed Peppers With Ground Turkey (94% Lean) And Eat It With Salad.

Last edited by neeseebaby22; 05-26-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #254  

HEY PITA!!!

That blood work you had done.... was it a fasting glucose or had you eaten fairly close to when the blood was drawn?? Had you had any hard exercise about 3 hours before the blood was drawn?? Where were you in the process of starting this diet when that blood was drawn??

I STILL BELIEVE YOU NEED TO TALK TO YOUR DR! BUT, The answers to those questions are important.

When we eat we get a spike in blood glucose so, if you ate at the right interval before the test it could affect the result. Thus, the reason for a fast glucose for accuracy.

When we have intense exercise, their is a drop in glucose followed by a correlate increase in glucose that can account for a higher but allowable number.

Depending on where you were in the diet start process, if your body had just dumped all of it's glucose, and was kicking off the glycogen stores to glucose process you may have had more glucose than expected.

If it were me, I would talk to the DR and see if he/she was agreeable to re doing my glucose test and checking my blood ph again. It couldn't hurt, Much!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #255  

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeseebaby22 View Post
WOW That Makes Alot of Sense. Thanx Showgirlaz.

Well I Drink-3 (34oz) Jug Of Water Per Day-"no Sodas Or Sweetners, Strictly Water"
I Sprinkle On My himala Sea Salt
I Spray On My extra Olive Oil
My Coach Gave Me trace Mineral Drops
I Am Close To My Tom So Im Hoping That The Problem But I'll Try Green Peppers Tonight. I Was Thinking About Making Stuffed Peppers With Ground Turkey (94% Lean) And Eat It With Salad.

Everything looks ok to me!

SOUNDS YUMMY! Ya KNOW... the green peppers are an item that can be made in a slow cooker! You could make them up the night before after the baby is down, make several because they freeze well, and then in the morning kick the cooker on low! By the time you get home you will have a nice dish to enjoy!
Closed Thread