Ip Chat Week May 10 - 16

You're on Page 33 of 34
Go to
  • Okay I got over the Bagel slip. Had trout, veggies cooked with olive oil and seasooning, tomato and cucumber for supper. This morning I had the Omelete package--so good! Just finished a vegetable salad and am mixing a drink.......no NOT vODKA, a Protein package!
    I have 3 flower beds to tackle this weekend. My pernnial bed needs total reshaping! I spent 2 hours at the greenhouse.......Loving the warm weather coming!!

I AM going to have a great WI on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good weekend everybody.
  • took a journey down the very slippery slope of I'll have ONE cocktail. Crashed down the slope in a bad way. Currently: so dead that can't even curse myself. Onwards to driving 3 hours to visit parents; although I feel as a zombie.
  • Quote: pita, i frickin' love you. i feel like you and me were separated at birth
    you are the tall sister and I am the migid I hit the slopes pretty hard last night and apparently have forgotten how to ski, specially how to stop.
  • [QUOTE=mamaerinb;3292261[B]naturalgirl[/B], don't beat yourself up. we have all let ourselves "go" in one way or another. the accomplishment is that you recognized it on your own and are now working to fix the problem. jeez look at my profile pic on my page, i thought i was a little chubby back when that picture was taken, i didn't realize how big i had let myself get and finally woke up one day saying "why are you doing this to yourself? you deserve SO much better". be proud of yourself in the life change you have decided to make regarding the loose stools, it was weird, i had constipation the first two days and then yellow loose fatty ones for two days, i really believe that's when my body kick-started into ketosis. also if you aren't used to eating salads and veggies on a regular basis, you're body may just be reacting to the extra fiber it hasn't seen in awhile. you will become more regular, i promise

Thanks for your encouraging words I am going to share with y'all something that is SOOOO EMBARASSING I was at a store a couple months ago in line to check out and the lady behind me asked me when I was due! I wanted to crawl into a hole. Then about a month ago for DD #2 B-Day one of her girlfriends thought I was having a baby! Not only did I feel bad but I felt bad for my DD like I was embarassing her
    I quit smoking 15 months ago and gained 40 pounds! I was 30 pounds to heavy when I quit smoking. I am so happy I quit and it was THE HARDEST thing I have ever done in my life (DH and I quit on the same day) but I knew I had to. Ironically I have always eaten pretty healthy (except when I first quit smoking). I always exercised and took vitamins etc. smoking was my only vice. But I am going to school to be a naturopath dr. and I am just not the kind of person that can tell people how to take care of themselves and not do it myself. So I guess the bright side is I will have gone through alot and know what my patients are experiencing. Some days as you know just seem so hard but I think just writing things out and "talking" about them with others helps to explore yourself and why/how we all got here to begin with. Again thanks so much!
  • I've been out of town again, traveling for work. That story will be forthcoming, including the pile of whipped cream bigger than my car at the dinner buffet. but anyway, trying to catch up on all the posts but I'm only on page 13. DANG you guys have been rocking this IP thing and made such amazing successes!

here is today's lunch idea:
    1.5 c non-fat, low sodium chicken broth, simmer and reduce a bit with some freshly grated ginger

add a couple big splashes of wheat-free tamari and some toasted sesame oil

slice napa cabbage across the "butt" so you get noodle-like crunchy pieces--about a cup. Toss them in for a few minutes to get to noodle consistency. Add 1 c. pre-cooked broccoli (I steamed mine with some ginger in the water)

top with minced green onion and cilantro. yummy!
  • Quote: Hi Novak!

I just noticed we have the same goals and roughly the same height. Today is day 2 of IP for me. I'd be interested to know when exactly you started and how long its taken to get to your goal? (Congrats!! you are almost there i see!!)
    I started on January 24, and I'm just finishing up my first week of Phase 2. One pound to go...
  • Quote: CHELLEFL~ I think showgirlaz stated that she lost weight better as she slightly increased her healthy oil intake, too. I went from a teaspoon of UDO's oil per day to that plus a tablespoon of olive oil. I feel better and still am losing weight.
    Yes, It was me! I definitely am doing better with the added healthy fats/omegas in my diet.

Quote: i'm pretty sure it's 3 egg whites and 1 yolk that are equivalent. right ladies?
    Correct. It substitutes for a "dinner" protein. I hear it can sub for an IP packet equivalent to a chocolate drink because of the added fat from the egg yolk.

Quote: Sorry - What is "UDO"?
    A high quality, cold pressed omega 3/6 or 3/6/9 oil. They have several blends for high lignans or added DHA. I think their DHA is a natural veg source not Fish oil. You can use anything like an UDO's. There are several brands. Spectrum makes one available at Costco. There is also Barlean's. I love the Barlean's Omega Twin blend. You can also use coconut oil if it is extra virgin, unrefined quality.

Quote: TO PENGUIN 0199; yes, the chicarrones / pork rinds are fried but I realize that I can cut back just a bit on my oil for the day if I eat just one or two rinds. It's very satisfying for me and keeps me from what could be a much bigger "no-no!" So, yes, they have oil in them but I put a li'l less oil on my salad. The rinds are good "croutons," too!
    I have heard about this. The only reason it isn't highly recommended is the added salt (non-sea salt) and the nitrates. I know it won't kick you out of ketosis though. The only thing would be the possibilities of slowing down weight loss from added calories or retaining a little water IF you consumed to much.

I have a couple recipes (haven't tried yet) that you might be interested in. The first recipe is from Dana Carpender's 500 low carb recipes book. page 244 has Chicken Chips.

Chicken Chips

Ingredients:
    Chicken Skin
    Salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Take any and all chicken skin you have saved. (you can also contact a local butcher or grocery butcher to purchase just chicken skins) Spread the skins and any fat out as flat as you can on a broiler rack. Bake for 10 -15 minutes or until the skin is a brown crunchy appearance. remove as they are done, keep in mind the thicker the skin the longer it takes. Sprinkle with sea salt and eat!

The second and third recipes I found online but didn't note where. They are similar but, boil the chicken first.

Pour boiling water over the skin. Rub oil into it once it has been dried and then sprinkle liberally with sea salt (coarse is best). Start the cooking process of with the chicken covered with foil and about 20 minutes to half an hour remove the foil and continue to cook - perhaps turning up the heat.

Another online poster said:

After boiling chicken skins, I would place them in the oven (I like using the nu wave for this purpose, sprinkle some garlic salt, and bake the skins until they are crispy and all the fat have dripped underneath. (My nu wave rack has just the right amount of surface to make chicharon out of the skin I get from one chicken.The thing I like about nu wave is, one glance at it and I know if it is done. No need to open.) It requires about 30 minutes to get to a crispy state.

I think you could toss the boiled skins with a little olive oil, and season with any combination of good seasonings like: sea salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, chinese five spice, curry, italian seasoning, fajita or taco seasoning, a dry barbecue rub without brown sugar (maybe a little splenda if you want a sweet salty crisp). I think you could get really creative with this.

Quote: some of you might know that I bought a size 12 lululemon hoodie about 3 or 4 years ago as motivation to get skinny...and it just hung in my closet in the bag ever since....

Today I tried it on and it does up!!!

So maybe it gives me a uni-boob and looks terrible but for the first time ever it does up!!!

Yay me!
    FANTASTIC!! SEE, it is time to go shopping!

Quote: But I am going to school to be a naturopath dr. and I am just not the kind of person that can tell people how to take care of themselves and not do it myself. So I guess the bright side is I will have gone through alot and know what my patients are experiencing. Some days as you know just seem so hard but I think just writing things out and "talking" about them with others helps to explore yourself and why/how we all got here to begin with. Again thanks so much!
    An ND! Nice! Where are you studying? I have been looking into a few schools in the past few months. It is an interest I have had for several years. I have been working a new degree and completing my science req's so I can pass the new admissions requirments.
  • Quote: some of you might know that I bought a size 12 lululemon hoodie about 3 or 4 years ago as motivation to get skinny...and it just hung in my closet in the bag ever since....

Today I tried it on and it does up!!!

So maybe it gives me a uni-boob and looks terrible but for the first time ever it does up!!!

Yay me!
    Yay you is right! That's awesome Jordanna..... Congrats!

Quote: Had my WI yesterday, no loss of inches, weight or BMI? Soooo why am I doing this?
    I know that was disappointing, but don't let it discourage you. You're doing great! Just focus on the success you have already seen and how much better you feel physically. Shake it off, stay focused and on plan. I bet next week will show some amazing numbers!

Quote: Okay I got over the Bagel slip. Had trout, veggies cooked with olive oil and seasooning, tomato and cucumber for supper. This morning I had the Omelete package--so good! Just finished a vegetable salad and am mixing a drink.......no NOT vODKA, a Protein package!
    I have 3 flower beds to tackle this weekend. My pernnial bed needs total reshaping! I spent 2 hours at the greenhouse.......Loving the warm weather coming!!

I AM going to have a great WI on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good weekend everybody.
    WTG getting refocused and right back on plan. I think a positive attitude can only help. There is no need to beat yourself up. We're all human and make mistakes. I try and keep a bar or soy nuts in my purse for those times that I'm out and get hungry or tempted by something not IP friendly.

Quote: took a journey down the very slippery slope of I'll have ONE cocktail. Crashed down the slope in a bad way. Currently: so dead that can't even curse myself. Onwards to driving 3 hours to visit parents; although I feel as a zombie.
    Don't beat yourself up. Get refocused and right back on plan. You can do it!

[QUOTE=natural girl;3292918]
    Quote: naturalgirl[/B], don't beat yourself up. we have all let ourselves "go" in one way or another. the accomplishment is that you recognized it on your own and are now working to fix the problem. jeez look at my profile pic on my page, i thought i was a little chubby back when that picture was taken, i didn't realize how big i had let myself get and finally woke up one day saying "why are you doing this to yourself? you deserve SO much better". be proud of yourself in the life change you have decided to make regarding the loose stools, it was weird, i had constipation the first two days and then yellow loose fatty ones for two days, i really believe that's when my body kick-started into ketosis. also if you aren't used to eating salads and veggies on a regular basis, you're body may just be reacting to the extra fiber it hasn't seen in awhile. you will become more regular, i promise

Thanks for your encouraging words I am going to share with y'all something that is SOOOO EMBARASSING I was at a store a couple months ago in line to check out and the lady behind me asked me when I was due! I wanted to crawl into a hole. Then about a month ago for DD #2 B-Day one of her girlfriends thought I was having a baby! Not only did I feel bad but I felt bad for my DD like I was embarassing her
    I quit smoking 15 months ago and gained 40 pounds! I was 30 pounds to heavy when I quit smoking. I am so happy I quit and it was THE HARDEST thing I have ever done in my life (DH and I quit on the same day) but I knew I had to. Ironically I have always eaten pretty healthy (except when I first quit smoking). I always exercised and took vitamins etc. smoking was my only vice. But I am going to school to be a naturopath dr. and I am just not the kind of person that can tell people how to take care of themselves and not do it myself. So I guess the bright side is I will have gone through alot and know what my patients are experiencing. Some days as you know just seem so hard but I think just writing things out and "talking" about them with others helps to explore yourself and why/how we all got here to begin with. Again thanks so much!
    First congrats on quitting smoking! That is for sure an accomplishment to be proud of! I think it's so cool that you're studying to become a Naturopath. How much longer do you have to go to school for that?
  • Alright jordana, that is so cool. Pretty soon you'll be sportin that sweatshirt and then be bummed because it is too big!!!! Woohoo......
  • mamaerinb That's an amazing thing that you've quit smoking. I know it's reaaaaally hard, and it is a really big accomplishement ! You should be really proud of it !

jordana That's a really good news ! Congrats!

_________

I was in a drugstore yesterday, and I just ordered some Ketostick. I was wondering, how do you use it ? On the IP phase, are you supposed to be in ketosis everyday? Or just at the begining?

Also, my coach never telled me to count the carbs ? I would like to, to be sure I'm not killing my efforts to loose weight by eating too much, so I was wondering how much carbs do you eat each day everyone? Do you count carbs minus fiber ?

And last question for today : I was at Loblaws (a grocery in Quebec, I don't know if you have it in the US) and I was where the powder for protein shake are.. I was looking to the nutritionnal information of Isoweight (1 carbs, 24 protein, 1 fat for a shake) and I was wondering if I could replace my IP premade shake by that?
  • mamaerinb - congratulations on quitting smoking!!! I am proud of you. You are doing fabulous!!

I am realizing that my coach completely sucks... especially since he started to get his receptionist to do our meetings and she just reads things out of the quick reference manual. I would change coaches, but he is a good friend and I don't want to offend.

I really need some help. I am not feeling good on this diet at all. I am light-headed, dizzy, grumpy and tired all the time. I am getting my sea salt, olive oil, veggies, salad, protein, and taking 4 protein packs a day (I was told to take 1 extra every day because I am still breastfeeding). I am taking all vitamins, cal-mag, and the potassium, and the enzymes (I wasn't told to take anything else). So, why do I feel so horrible?? help!
  • Quote: Calgarygirlie= I did stop eating rhubarb because I was looking for any explanation for my stalled weight loss. Haven't had any in probably a month. Not surprised that it has more carbs... like most things, it's probably fine in moderation.
    HockeyMom- They are 19 and almost 22.Both played hockey before they could really skate-- like 4 years old. But they weren't into a lot of other sports like your son is. Just tennis, soccer and golf. One loves to ski. We loved those travel hockey years though at the time they could be a little overwhelming. Made friends with a lot of great parents and would have parties when we travelled overnight together. I know exactly what you mean about not ALL the parents! lol-- I loved the Dad's who yelled at the refs at every game.
    Sam0617--Both nutrition facts for the box vanilla drinks are in front of me.
    They are identical with a couple of exceptions: Cholesterol is 0 with Lindora and 10mg with IP. Sodium is 230mg with Lindora and 240mg with IP. Potassium is 220mg with Lindora and 190mg with IP. Sugar is 1g with Lindora and 0 with IP. Lindora says total calories of 100 with 30 from fat.IP says 100 carlories with 35 from fat.There are some differences with the ingredients but not much. Both have sucralose and acesulfame-K as their last ingredients. Both have 15g protein and 3g carbs. Neither one have soy. First ingredients for both are filtered water, protein blend (milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate), sunflower oil.And neither one have aspertame. Hope that helps! (I love these drinks-- 3 x a day for me)
    Thank you can I ask do you buy the premixed vanilla drink from Lindora and how many come in a pack? I took a look at their website and I also saw a choclate premixed drink but that comes in a can have you tried the chocolate. Is the vanilla the only one that comes in a box?
  • Quote: I was in a drugstore yesterday, and I just ordered some Ketostick. I was wondering, how do you use it ? On the IP phase, are you supposed to be in ketosis everyday? Or just at the begining?

Also, my coach never telled me to count the carbs ? I would like to, to be sure I'm not killing my efforts to lose weight by eating too much, so I was wondering how much carbs do you eat each day everyone? Do you count carbs minus fiber ?

And last question for today : I was at Loblaws (a grocery in Quebec, I don't know if you have it in the US) and I was where the powder for protein shake are.. I was looking to the nutritionnal information of Isoweight (1 carbs, 24 protein, 1 fat for a shake) and I was wondering if I could replace my IP premade shake by that?
    To use the ketostix, you pee on them while you're on the toilet and compare the color they turn with the chart that comes with them. You want to be in the light to medium ketosis range, not heavy. You actually don't lose as much weight when you're in the heavy range.

You really don't have to count carbs much if you're following the program, but generally we should keep total carbs under about 40 and net carbs (carbs minus fiber) under about 30.

Yes, you can use that shake as a substitute.

Quote: mamaerinb - congratulations on quitting smoking!!! I am proud of you. You are doing fabulous!!

I am realizing that my coach completely sucks... especially since he started to get his receptionist to do our meetings and she just reads things out of the quick reference manual. I would change coaches, but he is a good friend and I don't want to offend.

I really need some help. I am not feeling good on this diet at all. I am light-headed, dizzy, grumpy and tired all the time. I am getting my sea salt, olive oil, veggies, salad, protein, and taking 4 protein packs a day (I was told to take 1 extra every day because I am still breastfeeding). I am taking all vitamins, cal-mag, and the potassium, and the enzymes (I wasn't told to take anything else). So, why do I feel so horrible?? help!
    I hate to tell you this, pookie, but breastfeeding women are not supposed to be on this diet. See page 120 of Dr. Tran's The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You.
  • Quote: I hate to tell you this, pookie, but breastfeeding women are not supposed to be on this diet. See page 120 of Dr. Tran's The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You.
    WHAT?! Well, why didn't they tell me that in the first place? Damn....
    Thanks for letting me know, though. Now to decide what to do.....
  • Hello All,

I have a question: would eating a few crackers & cheese cause me to gain back some of the weight OR would it just knock me out of ketosis for a while?

I did have them last night (including alcohol), right now at my parents and have been good with not having any of their food but I am freaking out that my stomach is growing as I am sitting here because of last night.

I know I am very dehydrated as I drink so much but do not go to the bathroom much.

so what is the consensus? am I going to gain weight or just not loose weight for a few days.

thank you.