not enough protein?

• Not enough protein?

What are some of the most common things you use to give you that extra protein? I'm not on a "protein" diet, but i want most of my food to be protein... to be about 45% protein, the rest Carbs and about 15-20% of fat.

So i'm struggling with getting enough.

So far i use shakes for protein but i'd rather just have some more foods.. any ideas?

Snack ideas?
  • Quote: Not enough protein?

What are some of the most common things you use to give you that extra protein? I'm not on a "protein" diet, but i want most of my food to be protein... to be about 45% protein, the rest Carbs and about 15-20% of fat.

So i'm struggling with getting enough.

So far i use shakes for protein but i'd rather just have some more foods.. any ideas?

Snack ideas?
    what kind of diet are you on? Protein can be found in many sources but it depend so n what you are allowed to eat. Here is some of what I found online.

Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of protein.
    Beef

* Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
    * Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
    * Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken

* Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    * Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    * Drumstick – 11 grams
    * Wing – 6 grams
    * Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

* Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    * Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

* Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    * Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    * Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    * Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    * Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    * Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy

* Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    * Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    * Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    * Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    * Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    * Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    * Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

* Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    * Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    * Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    * Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    * Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    * Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

* Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    * Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    * Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    * Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    * Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    * Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    * Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    * Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • snacks here
    http://www.highproteinfoods.net/snacks
  • Milk
    Plain yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Almonds
    Peanut butter
    Flax seed
    Chicken breast
    Ground turkey
    Pork chop
    Steak
    Ground beef

I incorporate most of those in my diet over the course of a week (some are daily, some are less than daily) and I have no issues getting 120 to 150 grams of protein per day--about 30 to 35% of my calories.
  • Food that is rich in protein are as follows:
    • Eggs
    • Milk
    • Soy Milk
    • Cheese
    • Tofu ( 8g per 4oz…I really like the baked, marinated tofu. great plain or in a stirfry)
    • Yogurt
    • Peanut Butter , almond butter, most nuts and seeds (pumpkin and sunflower)
    • Lean Meats
    • Fish
    • Poultry
    • Beans
    • Soybeans –all are considered high quality protein. I like black soybean (eden organic foods has them canned) taste like black beans. ½ cup has just 1 net carb (high fiber) 11g pro and 6 fat
    • Lentils, beans, peas, legumes ( chickpeas have 12g per1 cup)
    • Grains – quinoa is considered a very high quality protein
    • Pasta (especially quinoa, brown rice, and jerusalem artichoke varities)
    • Whole grain bread
    • Potatos (6oz (1 med) is 5g protein)
    • Nuts
    • hummus (19g per 1cup on average) if you make it at home you can control the fat level too
    • many vegetables :1cup peas has 9g protein and is a perfect high quality protein when combined with 1 cup rice 5g protein ( 1 cup of spinach has 4g, 1cup of collard greens has 4g, 1 cup of kale has 2g, 1 crown of broccoli 7g, slice sauteed mushrooms 4g per 1cup)
    check out the link below for more high protein low fat ideas. watch the carb counts to find what you like best.
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-0...5000000-w.html

Some snack ideas might be:
    a slice of whole grain bread (French meadows health seed spelt bread was my favorite) with 1tbsp almond butter = 12 gram protein/ 13 g fat/ 26g carb
    a half apple spread with ½ tbsp almond butter and raisins aprox 9g protein/6g carb/4g fat
    a cup of steamed edamame
    homemade kale chips with hummus
    a cup of quinoa tabouleh
    hardboiled eggs or deviled eggs
    mini crustless quiche cups.. I like the south beach recipe breakfast egg cups
    homemade black bean salsa with whole grain baked pita chips (make them at home on a cookie sheet with olive oil and sea salt)
    lettuce wraps: great for any meat from chicken, shrimp, tofu or veggie to tace salad style
    lettuce rollups: use a lean meat (like turkey), a tiny smear of mayo, a slice of red pepper, some spinach, and a little cheese then roll. very handy, make them small and you can have several.
    healthy yogurt parfait : a small low carb vanilla yogurt (like ralph’s or Kroger or blue bunny) with a fresh peach (2g protein in a med peach) and 2 tbsp ground flax seed 12g pro/ 6g fat/ 25g carb
  • ignore this was a duplicate