3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Chat - March 29th - April 4th (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/197928-ip-chat-march-29th-april-4th.html)

CinnamonSparkles 03-30-2010 11:14 PM

kdubya - yes, there are many alternatives you can use. Personally, I think that using soy protein isolate powder or whey protein isolate powder is the easier and it is the CHEAPEST! If I went back to the beginning of my IP journey knowing what I know now, I would have just mixed up a protein shake for my protein in place of an IP packet. Get a high quality soy or whey isolate powder (Isopure Zero Carb is one from GNC) and make sure it has little to no carbs. I have some soy isolate powder from Trader Joe's that was a really good price ($11 for a large jar which makes 32 servings or something like that!). If you check back on the Alternative Phase I thread in February (or March), there's lots of info there. Everyone not using IP packets jumped over on that thread for a while because those using IP didn't want to be burdened with the discussion of what alternative products to buy. Seems like our group on this thread now doesn't really care. But if you're looking for cheap, go with a protein powder and substitute that for packets. :D You can do it!

kdubya 03-30-2010 11:27 PM

CinnamonSparkles - Thank you very much for this information! I will definitely check out the other thread. I hope to start my diet in a day or so! Again, thanks for the very valuable info!

sophie32 03-31-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevS (Post 3224126)
Hi, Sophie, Looks like you and I chose the same avatar.:) Are you a bookworm too?

You can't get a ticker until you have been on the forum for 20 days minimum and have posted 25 times. But I think you could go ahead and set it up for later. Click on "User CP" above. Then click on "Edit Signature." Read where it says "Add a weight tracker to your signature" (if it's there). Click on "Click here to get started." Follow the steps. Copy and paste the url onto your url square under "Edit Signature" page to the left of the smilies. Arrow down and click on "Save Signature."

Thanks for the very helpful information!! Yes I am a book worm....always thinking about what book to read next even when I am not finished a current book....LOL

sophie32 03-31-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess (Post 3224042)
Awe! poor thing! No one probably told you that you have to have a minimum of like 30 posts I think and 20 days on here before you have the luxury of having a signature or being able to PM- personal message- they say its to vut down on spam or whatever but i say its a pain in the butt. so 20 days after you have joined and 25-30 posts later you will have your signature! in fact i think that is today for me, I hope.! Good luck:hug:

Thank-you so much!! 20 days and 25-30 posts will go by so fast...I hope you got yours today!;)

sophie32 03-31-2010 12:46 AM

OK so...today was my first weigh in!!!! Almost 12 pds....my coach was baffled!! I am so excited about this program...I think it will slow down for next week though...I am totally ok with that!

WyoSun 03-31-2010 01:08 AM

WooHoo sophie....you go girl. That's wonderful

Kdubya...I order from Lindora and New Life Style Diet. Packets are less than $2 and they have great sales that make the packets about $1 sometimes. I also get the ready made shakes for less than $3. Honestly, I have not even said anything to my coach. I still buy a box here and there, but now the majority of my stuff is from outside sources. Also took the advice of some others about the supplements, too. Check out the vitamin isle at Walmart. I got a good deal there, too. I love this diet and am making it work, but it doesn't have to be as expensive as IP makes it. Thanks for the info on GNC. I will check them out on Friday.
Welcome newbies......

MuayThaiGoddess 03-31-2010 01:24 AM

yay my signature has arrived!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie32 (Post 3225679)
Thank-you so much!! 20 days and 25-30 posts will go by so fast...I hope you got yours today!;)

Yay! My signature has finally arrived. It happens on the 21st day and I can also PM now! yay- so me and Cinnamon sparkles won't be flooding this thread with long emails- LOL! Finally somthing good to wind down this dreadful day.:(

MuayThaiGoddess 03-31-2010 01:33 AM

i agree to an extent

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birman (Post 3225521)
I would think any high quality, complete, low carb, low fat protein would be a "correct mix" for this diet. Does anyone have any facts to the contrary?

I agree with you to an extent birman, but if you are going to do alternative routes you must be very anal ( i know WE are:D) about comparing the labels and making sure the manufacturer hasn't slipped something in that could hinder the chemical balance. IP makes it simple because they have done all the work for you- but you PAY THE PRICE- literally of course. but yes it DEFINATELY can be done and I have done it on my own and helped others succeed in ketogenic diets without the IP program but make sure you are well informed and research any ingredients that could possibly interact with ketosis. Also, I would go with a protein product free of sugar alcohols ( if that will be your main source of protein through out the day) as too much can have a negative effect on ketosis. YES I KNOW- some of the restricted have a few grams but youre not ingesting those all day long.

It is an attainable goal but you have to do alot more leg work just to ensure your products are good, and similar- but once you figure it out- youll be in the clear!!

MuayThaiGoddess 03-31-2010 01:43 AM

wait youre not in ketosis yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brocola (Post 3225409)
Hi! Glad to have found this chat. I'm on Day 12 of Ideal Protein. I'm getting better about the veggies (Like I realized I liked shredded cabbage mixed w reg salad to give it crunch), but am having a really hard time w lack of energy. I have not cheated once, so I'm not sure why Ketosis hasn't set in? I've lost 6lbs so far. My coach said I'm the only person she's seen who
is tired on this diet. OK, whatever. I just want it to work! :dizzy:

I'm planning to follow it for a month, maybe 6 weeks. How long is everyone else planning on staying on Stage 1?

Just want to feel well!!

Wait, not to contradict what others have said but, normally, people do have increased energy once ketosis has taken its hold and gets moving. there is a difference between being more fatigued and being flat out exhausted, which one are you? And did you say you have been on IP for 12 days and have NOT gotten into ketosis yet? NOT AT ALL? If not, THATS WHY YOU ARE SO TIRED! You are basically on a starvation diet if ketosis has not kicked in- there has to be somthing that you are eating or doing that is impacting it. I am IN NO WAY saying you're cheating- but i AM JUST SURE- that with a little analyzing- we could figure out what it is and get you burning fat with ketosis and hopefully get your energy up some. i would love to help you if youre interested.:)

MuayThaiGoddess 03-31-2010 02:09 AM

Ahh... another PT... this will be hard for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deinekatze (Post 3225307)
@MuayThaiGoddess

You had posted this for me on last weeks thread:

"Yes, your situation sounds very very close to home indeed. one thing you have to know is this diet will not be easy for you. And if you keep throwing yourself out of ketosis- you WILL BE STARVING- because your body isn't eating your fat. i hardly eat my veggies because I have IBS and I'dr rather not have diarrhea all day. One thing is TECHNICALLY fat will not throw you out of ketosis- your body just has to burn off the fat you eat before you can burn your fat stores. I feel like i am starving ALOT which is unusual for most especially since I am in ketosis all the time and i am super strict. if i ever have anything that is a little off protocol it is a salad dressig with one carb and fat in it-= because like you said I am litereally starving and about to pass out- and I do that sometimes- but not alot and my ketosis still stays high- so it would be a little bit of a modified approach- have you talked to your coach about it? But you have to try to satisfy your stomach with an IP packet when you are starving instead of going out to eat because that will mess you up for days in stead of just adding a few calories. What are you eating everyday? what is your schedule? when do you usually get hungry? do you exercise at all?"

I never got a chance to answer but I believe what I needed was indeed a bit more fat in my system... but here goes anyway

have you talked to your coach about it? ...yes I have and they are just as baffled LOL

What are you eating everyday? I am following the Phase One protocol...except I can't eat that many veggies so now I stick to cucumbers

what is your schedule? Not a fixed schedule really...and I know I should be on one and try to eat every 3 to 4 ours...although the IP packs will make me feel hungry right away! hahaha

when do you usually get hungry? The worst time for me is around 3pm or so...or was as I think we figured it out now :-)

do you exercise at all? Yes I do...a personal trainer always (as you) but this week I've backed off a bit. I would go do at least some cardio 7 days a week (blame my Fiance for not taking breaks!) Right bow I try to not spend more than 20 minutes to a half hour tops... mostly resistance training to help muscles... not too heavy but not too light...just enough to get my muscles going a bit...other than that a pretty sedentary life style now...

Ahh, another Personal Trainer- this will be very hard for you. I hope you look over the post that I wrote to SylvieG, as I went into some of the chemical reactions that take place when you work out- especially Intensely and weight training. I would really REALLY think in my personal opinion that you are starving because when you weight train you are getting that lactic acid into your muscles which inhibits the release of fatty acid stores into your blood stream to be burned for energy, so youre not getting the calories you need because your ketosis is temporarily delayed from the training. I had to back off of my Muay Thai and that still makes me want to cry- I try NOT to think about it- but seriously if you want to do the IDEAL PROTEIN PROTOCOL and not be insanely miserable, starving and get lack luster results you need to back off of the weight training- seriously. I know it sounds like such a sinister idea... but it just has to do with biology, and chemistry and youre making this harder for you than it has to be. I decided I wanted to get through it as quickly as possible. Also when you are doing cardio- are you sticking to the lower end of your THR? like 60% or are you really elevating your heart rate and working up a sweat ( GOD I KNOW IT FEELS SO GOOD!) but it will just kill your efforts on this diet. Its against everything I believe- but I need to take off this weight unless I want to start training for Sumo Wrestling instead of MMA...lol. Do you check your ketosis regularly? I'm sure you are cycling in and out of it. You should AT LEAST BE ON THE ATHLETIC PROTOCOL- does your coach have you on that?
I almost think that you might do better on the CKD- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet- where if you are going to intensely train- you eat carbs right before.... its a pretty proven method- for athletes- Its in the book by Lyle Mc Donald and It is something I am researching now. but i would think you might want to get the hang of the diet first= but if you just cannot let go of the training- youre probably going to need to change up your protocol to something a little different than IP, I would think. But thats just my opinion. I would back off of the weight training though and I think you will be pleasantly suprised to see how much it helps, and track your ketosis. I really think the workouts are throwing you out of ketosis, I mean they have to be, unless your body defies the laws of physics.
I;m sorry this was such a sucky post from one PT to another--- You just need to decide whats most important. a short term break to maximize weightloss- or to maybe find a modified plan that suits your active life style better.

MuayThaiGoddess 03-31-2010 02:40 AM

Alright, well this post will not be a ray of sunshine, as I am getting ready for bed. But today was a very very lousy day. My coach and my doctor both were going to take me off of IP because of the dreadful effects its been having on me- it has really changed the person I am. I feel more hormal than when I was pregnant- and well... i don't want to get into details but it is really starting to scare me- somthing is just not right. My coach says I am the best, most dedicated client shes ever had- yet the past couple times we have been on the phone- she has almost been in tears because she feels SO BAD FOR ME and has no idea what is happening or what to do.
After loads of research and lots of analyzing and deconstructing practically everything in my life.... I realized when I really started looking at my ketostix that 1 hour I would be heavy ketosis in the next 45 minutes I would be trace or negative- then 2 hours later I would be small and on and on- and for a while I thought well maybe its just diluted with water or-- its because my body is processing what I ate ( sometimes being highly analytical can be a bad thing) then finally I came down to this kangen water i have been drinking LIKE A GALLON a day (which has a P.H. level of 9.5- very high- its electrically restructed water and is basically the best antioxidant on the planet) i was like could it be the water? because something is obviously throwing me in and out of ketosis ALL DAY LONG- something is making my hormones go nuts- and putting my body into a flat spin out to sea.... and he thought... and was like -- it could be... ( I asked this BEFORE- and he said it might interact a little BUT NOTHING LIKE THIS ESGNEK;LHGPIUHOIREGIPB) sorry bout that- little frustration- I asked if my body is going in and out of ketosis like 3,4,5,6 times a day could that make me feel like I'm at deaths door step? And he said Yes. And then, it was funny really, I was educating him on how much hormones have to do with this diet and if i were constantly going in and out multiple times a day... no wonder I am turning into a nervous wreck- going off like a firecrackeer- feeling like i am pregnant with twins- having NO SENSE OF HUMOR what so ever- and telling the desk clerk at the dr's office I was going to jack her in the face..... and i started yelling and screaming in there--- THERE IS SOMTHING SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH ME. my neck and face start tingling and go numb almost everyday. I am depressed and walk around like I am just about to burst into tears with a lump in my throat but i can't cry. Like having to sneeze but it just won't come out. Like when youre pregnant and you feel soooo nauseous like youre about to throw up but you don't and you walk around like that all day long. Thats what my emotions are like INSANE. I told my 15 month old to shut up the other day- I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE EVER EVER EVER TOLD HIM THAT. And this is just to name a few- we don't have enough time to name everything.
So as hard headed as I am when the doctor was before saying i should phase off the diet I replied "AND QUIT? One more week, lets see if its the water and if the 5-HTP will help." and so thats the way it went.... can you believe it- water FREAKIN WATER--- with a high ph balance--- I hope thats what it is- I hope I get myself back.... desperately. My body never reacts right to anything- its a mystery to most doctors- but I want this to work! Pray its the water!! So I can continue my journey and weightloss.

Yeah, week three weigh in - 2 pounds barely- I'm so pissed i don't know what to do with myself. I don't even eat restricted's EVER! I mean... i lost 3 pounds the first three days and then gained like 1.2 back WTF!! its possible that my body is just insane--- or somthing far worse is going on- which i have feared for some time. aLSO i think im getting my period for the second time in three weeks and I'm on an IUD! my hormones are jacked. I really hope i can pull through this and be a success story- but if it doesn't clear soon- my doctor won't think its safe to be on it any more

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SOMEONE I CAN TALK TO AT IP? SOMEONE TALKED ABOUT CONTACTING A DOCTOR OR REPRESENTATIVE- I mean really... there must be more information. All i know is if anyone here knows me at all- I am the researcher and analyzer- and past the water- i'm running out of options.
YES I TAKE 2 POTASSIUMS, YES I EAT MY SALT, AND TAKE MY VITAMINS, Drink water (might be the problem) take omega 3's htp- get lots of sunshine and go on walks 5-6 days a week with my son for about an hour- prob about 4 miles.

MuayThaiGoddess 03-31-2010 02:48 AM

who started the grumpy convo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopefulTricia (Post 3225199)
Deinekatze-- I started the grumpy conversation because it was so bugging me and no one else had mentioned it. Now others are concurring. That's what I love about this site. You know you aren't crazy after all! I had been eating flax seed every day for a few years. Recently changed to chia seed at someone's suggestion.Wonder if that's as good?? And I do take Omega 3s but not in a high dose like you are suggesting. Also, haven't been as careful about the olive oil as I should be. It will be wonderful if this is the solution-- so easy to solve and as I said before it's really annoying being so annoyed. Thanks so much for the help.

Oh i do believe it was my cantankerous post- that started the trend- saying how insanely irritable I was:D i had no idea how many other grouches I was in fellowship with!!

Mystical Mamma 03-31-2010 07:22 AM

There are so many great things happening on the forum daily! So here is a big CONGRATS to everyone on a job well done this past week! For those who are struggling, please hang in there. It will get better. Just keep on keeping on and everything will fall into place. Sometimes our body's just do not want to give up the fat - as much as we want it to! lol!! Be persistent, and this plan can and will work for you!

Thank you everyone for all you kind words on my pics! I cannot believe when I look at those pictures that that was even me. Just sooo happy that I found IP and have gotten my life back on track! I remember when I first started how overwhelmed I felt. But when I looked at people's before and after pics it helped me to see that I can do it and gave me the power to believe in myself and the plan!!

Mystical Mamma 03-31-2010 07:23 AM

Weighed in yesterday and lost 3 lbs! Woo Hoo! Slow and steady wins the race! lol!
The coach measured me again and I lost 8 inches in 20 days! YES!!!!
Had a major NSV as well! I joined a gym!!! And I actually went and worked out for 1 hour last night! YAYYYY! I have never worked out in a gym before and I was a little scared. Thought everyone would be staring, or something!! But I pulled up my big girl panties and just did it! And everyone was too busy in thier own space to stare at me. In fact I was the one who was staring at all of them! lol! Need to find a routine to help blast this booty - so will be researching all week to find the right machines, exercises etc that will give me the most results with the least amount of pain! lol!

Mystical Mamma 03-31-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie32 (Post 3225683)
OK so...today was my first weigh in!!!! Almost 12 pds....my coach was baffled!! I am so excited about this program...I think it will slow down for next week though...I am totally ok with that!

Woo Hoo! That is fantastic! Congrats!