Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #91  
Started IP March 1, 2010

S/C/G: 201.6/150.6/140

Height: 5'8"

Hey stacerp, my 4 week weigh in is Thursday, too. We are pretty close....I'm hoping for a 5 lb. loss, but I don't feel like it will be that much. Good Luck, can't wait to hear how you do.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 241/217/160

Height: 5'6

Thumbs up

Hello Everyone,
I have been enjoying all of your encouraging words here during my first 2 weeks on IP and have finally decided to join in with you all.
It has been easy and hard. But I find being in touch with the reality of where I was heading with out doing something drastic about my weight keeps me focused on what I am doing now.
I was wondering... does anyone chew gum? I know we are not suppose to but sometimes I just have to pop a piece into my mouth. Is there any type better then any other?
By the way I have lost 14 lb so far.

Last edited by Maddiegirl; 03-24-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #93  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Smile coffee!

[quote=yinyang;3215166]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
Hi All,

I noticed a lot of people here have trouble with salad dressing so buy those walden farms deals. I wanted to let you all know salad dressing is really easy to make at home - then you can have unlimited variety without having a ton of any one flavor. The key is 3 parts oil to 1 part acid. Then any spices etc you want are just bonus. I like to add fresh herbs as well as spices.
Ex. 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice + sea salt, pepper
3 tbsp EVOO, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar + sea salt, pepper, mustard
3 tbsp grape seed oil, 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar + basil, paprika, sea salt, pepper
Then you put the acid, spices, herbs, salt, and pepper to your blender. Mix it all up good. Then drizzle your oil in while your blender is on. This emulsifies the mixture so it won't separate when you put it in the fridge for a few days.

This week I made a spicy cilantro dressing and a spinach pesto dressing.
The first was hot pepper, cilantro, cucumber, EVOO, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. The second was spinach (blanched first to keep it from turning brown in the fridge), basil, EVOO, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.

Thank you so much Red Monkey for all the salad dressing ideas! Tonight I made the one with spicy mustard, EVOO, champagne vineager (1 carb), sea salt and pepper. It was so good! My new favorite.

I had my 3rd WI tonight. I lost 2.4#this week and 11.2# and almost 12 inches in the 3 weeks. That definitely is the most I have lost in that time period ever. I do think I can improve on that though by eating more fish, and measuring my veggies each day, and drinking every bit of my water. I have been having more coffee than I should too. What exactly does the coffee do to slow the loss?
HEY congrats on the loss! i saw your post about coffee and I thought I would pass along what I know about our tasty little drink. For one... I don't know if you know this, but coffee has carbs in it... its usually about 1 carb for every 8 oz I believe... it might be for every 12 ounces...(and espresso shots have 1 a piece) but if youre having multiple cups, that can add up. And if youre putting skim milk in each one... well, even if it is just one ounce- which is 2 tablespoons- its 1.5 carbs(sugar) each time you put it in and that adds up. (I know it seems like nothing compared to my old coffee with caramel creamer and sugar... ) Also, if its caffeinated then that can dehydrate your system because it is a dieuretic- WHICH IS NOT GOOD because you need to be flushing out those KETONES through your urine- and if youre not drinking at least the minimum amount of water- that could be a problem right there. the caffeine and lack of water is going to have your body retaining water because it needs alot more to run! Also depending if you use splenda or stevia in your coffee... each one of those packets really should be counted as a carb because it still has a very minimal effect on your blood sugar and too much of it can affect ketosis-(small amounts are obviously fine.) so to be safe- every teaspoon or packet should be counted as 1 towards your daily carb intake. So... you might be drinking it black or maybe putting a couple things in and thinking its really not that bad but girl THEY ADD UP when you are looking to stay under 20 carbs which is really optimal. the diet is all about maintaining a chemical balance in your body and lots of things can throw it off. Sorry I'm an obsessive research freak and I studied ketosis years ago... this is just what I know to be true what what I have read, studied, and looked up- and as always its best to be informed- there is nothing wrong with the coffee but you should just be aware of what it has in it and how it affect you and that when you drink it you need to rehydrate and also count those carbs in it- and anything else you put in it. ( I studied atkins/ketosis while working at starbucks for 5 years so i learned ALOT about the coffee aspect of it!!)

The way I feel is the worst thing is not knowing- and then having no clue what is going on... hence my obsession with research! But if youre coffee means alot to you then modify other areas- low carb packs, lots of water.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

EEEEKKKK!!!!

This morning I looked in the mirror and I saw... THIS!!!

Yes, you saw it right. GRAY HAIR! And a big whopping clump of it, no less.

I figured when I finally started turning gray, I would see one gray hair. Then a month later another one. Then in a few months they would start multiplying by several at a time, etc. But to start with a BIG WAD right out of the blue! I can't believe it!

I am not someone who typically spends much time fiddling with her hair. So, the gray wad has been growing there for a few weeks and I just didn't see it. But a few weeks maximum. Yes -- ALL of it came out of the blue just recently. I checked my calendar, and last time I saw my hairdresser was January 7. I had absolutely no gray then. None. When I was sitting right in front of the mirror and staring right at my hair I didn't see it. But more significantly, I specifically asked my hairdresser then if she saw any gray hairs. (I ask every time I go. Have for years.) She said no. So, I am turning gray, and turning gray rapidly, starting sometime after January 7, 2010.

So. Why on earth did I start going SO gray SO rapidly right now? I know it seems odd, but do you think it is any chance it is this IP diet? (I started on February 10.) If someone else asked me that, I'd say not likely. I'd think that the gray was probably growing there for months and they didn't see it. But I know for a fact that it's all new. Someone on this messageboard PM'd me a few weeks ago saying that this diet was causing her to lose her hair. I wrote back that I thought I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the diet can do that, but the hair grows back later. Is it possible that this diet could initiate and / or accelerate graying on rare occasion???
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #95  
Goddess of Research

Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddiegirl View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have been enjoying all of your encouraging words here during my first 2 weeks on IP and have finally decided to join in with you all.
It has been easy and hard. But I find being in touch with the reality of where I was heading with out doing something drastic about my weight keeps me focused on what I am doing now.
I was wondering... does anyone chew gum? I know we are not suppose to but sometimes I just have to pop a piece into my mouth. Is there any type better then any other?
WELCOME WELCOME!!! SO GLAD YOU CAME TO JOIN! 14 pounds in two weeks? is that right? Good job! Keep up the good work! And welcome to the family!!:chee r:
Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #96  
Goddess of Research

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
EEEEKKKK!!!!

This morning I looked in the mirror and I saw... THIS!!!

Yes, you saw it right. GRAY HAIR! And a big whopping clump of it, no less.

I figured when I finally started turning gray, I would see one gray hair. Then a month later another one. Then in a few months they would start multiplying by several at a time, etc. But to start with a BIG WAD right out of the blue! I can't believe it!

I am not someone who typically spends much time fiddling with her hair. So, the gray wad has been growing there for a few weeks and I just didn't see it. But a few weeks maximum. Yes -- ALL of it came out of the blue just recently. I checked my calendar, and last time I saw my hairdresser was January 7. I had absolutely no gray then. None. When I was sitting right in front of the mirror and staring right at my hair I didn't see it. But more significantly, I specifically asked my hairdresser then if she saw any gray hairs. (I ask every time I go. Have for years.) She said no. So, I am turning gray, and turning gray rapidly, starting sometime after January 7, 2010.

So. Why on earth did I start going SO gray SO rapidly right now? I know it seems odd, but do you think it is any chance it is this IP diet? (I started on February 10.) If someone else asked me that, I'd say not likely. I'd think that the gray was probably growing there for months and they didn't see it. But I know for a fact that it's all new. Someone on this messageboard PM'd me a few weeks ago saying that this diet was causing her to lose her hair. I wrote back that I thought I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the diet can do that, but the hair grows back later. Is it possible that this diet could initiate and / or accelerate graying on rare occasion???
WAIT SOMEONE ELSE HAS LOST THEIR HAIR FROM THIS DIET BECAUSE I HAVE A HUGE BALD SPOT ON MY HEAD..... ARE YOU SERIOUS SOMEONE ELSE STARTED LOSING THEIR HAIR?

okay I am long winded but I HAVE A THEORY I have been thinking about lately and actually going to email my doctor about.... if youre interested in hearing it... its possible it could contribute... but i don't know... its a "theory"
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #97  
Goddess of Research

Default bars

[quote=BlueMermaid;3215244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykimann View Post
Good evening all!

Again I am so amazed by everyone! You are all such an inspiration.

Week 4 and I am plugging along. I had a patient today tell me how wonderful I looked and it totally made my day. I had a great NSV this weekend as I went into Old Navy and bought a size L shirt. As of 3 weeks ago I was in their XXL. I almost cried.

I tried a chocolate peanut bar and I almost instantly broke into hives so no more of that. Im sticking to my 2 vanilla shakes and my 1 jello a day. It freaked me out a bit when it happened and Im not sure why.Has anyone had that issue before

Sassykim, great NSV's! It is wonderful to go buy new clothes and realize you need smaller sizes.

I used to get hives from the Atkin's chocolate peanut butter bars. I have not had any hive from the IP bars but I did not care for the chocolate peanut ones. I eat the vanilla peanut ones and the white chocolate cinnamon ones.
Are you on phase one or two? I don't know why but i thought most people were on bootcamp here... how often do you have the bars?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post
WAIT SOMEONE ELSE HAS LOST THEIR HAIR FROM THIS DIET BECAUSE I HAVE A HUGE BALD SPOT ON MY HEAD..... ARE YOU SERIOUS SOMEONE ELSE STARTED LOSING THEIR HAIR?

okay I am long winded but I HAVE A THEORY I have been thinking about lately and actually going to email my doctor about.... if youre interested in hearing it... its possible it could contribute... but i don't know... its a "theory"
Yes, I am serious that someone here on the IP diet wrote and told me she was experiencing major hair loss. I haven't seen her posting here much lately. So she may not be here anymore.

I wish I could remember where I originally read about the hair loss problem. Because I'm not sure if I read about it in regards to the IP diet, or low carb diets in general.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #99  
Goddess of Research

Red face hmmm

Quote:
Yes, I am serious that someone here on the IP diet wrote and told me she was experiencing major hair loss. I haven't seen her posting here much lately. So she may not be here anymore.

I wish I could remember where I originally read about the hair loss problem. Because I'm not sure if I read about it in regards to the IP diet, or low carb diets in general.
Well, I am sorry for the concern you are surely feeling right now, but I will tell you what, today I was kicking myself in the butt for not asking my doctor the last question I meant to ( HE IS SOOOO BRILLIANT) which is how can it possibly be good for me or my metabolism to be consistently taking in around 500 calories a day- thats what I average- that is way into starvation mode- and a curious thing that I know from a back round in eating disorders is anorexics typically start graying hair FAST... they just don't have the nutrients. Now there are alot ALOT of chemical reactions going on in the body and there may be a perfectly good explanation of why the superlow calorie count is okay( I KNOW OUR BODY IS FEEDING ON OUR FAT STORES) but perhaps if youre missing ketosis a little too much you would DEFINATELY be on a starvation diet... Its just a theory - i spend too much time thinking and i NEVER have enough time for research but you bet I will be tomorrow. OH OH OH another thing is one thing that is ESSENTIAL for healthy hair is FAT and this diet is rock bottom on it and also how long have you been on the program? You know DR.Chann said originally in his book that he intended for people to be on it for 2-4 weeks... a very short period of time... so there are alot of things thrown out there... and like I said just theories and things that could be and you can research and i am interested so i will be researching tomorrow- but there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this... I mean are you around the age that this generally happens? and it always starts in the front like that. just don't convict IP before you give it a proper trial. But ill be researching and sending my doctor an email and ill include that Birman. I know how it feels imagine you have a huge thick head of hair and all of a sudden a quarter size spot is suddenly bald... I empathize with you... but i couldn't pin it on IP and it hasn't happened again! WELL FIGURE THIS OUT! DON'T WORRY!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #100  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post

Are you on phase one or two? I don't know why but i thought most people were on bootcamp here... how often do you have the bars?
I am on phase one and my coach encouraged me to have a restricted item such as a bar everyday. I don't mind not losing 5+ pounds a week if I don't have to feel so deprived. I still lost 4.4 pounds on my weigh in yesterday and I am on week 10.

I saw in your previous post that you only eat 20 carbs a day. Did your coach tell you to stay under the 20 carbs a day? I know Atkin's recommended 20 carbs when I did it a few years back but I have not seen a carb count allowance in my IP stuff.

Last edited by BlueMermaid; 03-24-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #101  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Default vegetarians on IP

Quote:
Yes. I'm a vegetarian. So are Ogdog and CinnamonSparkles. Novak is a pescetarian. It's a bit trickier doing IP as a vegetarian, but definitely doable.
Sorry I'm behind... just got back from a week at Walt Disney World, and I'm trying to catch up. Birman, I could be wrong, but I think you are the only legit veggie on board. I'm pretty sure Ogdog and Sparkles have both mentioned eating seafood... as do I. That would make you the official resident expert, unless someone else fesses up. Congratulations!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulTricia View Post
25 pounds lost in 5 weeks and 4 days. And I have joined that very exclusive club called the onehundreders (or something like that) wooo hoo!! (Thought about doing a pic of the scale like Birman did) Had a massage to celebrate-- and went back to acupuncture after a long hiatus. Don't you just love this diet?? I have never dieted for this long without cheating. Never.

Yeah! Tricia! I think you are saying you made it to "ONEDERLAND". I bet you are so excited. 25 pounds in 5 weeks is terrific! What a nice way to celebrate too! This is a great diet and you don't really feel the need to cheat. Keep it up, you are doing wonderfully!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #103  

Height: 5.8

[QUOTE=MuayThaiGoddess;3215319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMermaid View Post

Phase 1, just started my 4th week. My coach said my numbers have been awesome so far 24 pounds in 3 weeks so she said why dont you try a restricive. Well i tried it and I wont be having it again. Im sticking to my shakes and jell. After week 3 you can introduce restrictive if you want.

Kimann

***Week 1 -14 pounds
***Week2 4 pounds and 10 inches
***Week3 - 6 pounds
***only 50 pounds til Im a smoking hot bride on Sept 18****
Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #104  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddiegirl View Post
Hello Everyone,
Welcome to a great support group. 14 lbs so far is terrific. They say spry gum is allowed but it still lists carbs on the nutritional info.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #105  
Senior Member 2/12/2010

Height: 5'4"

BlueMermaid Thanks so much. I am sitting here watching all the dancing people you posted for me. It makes me feel great and so encouraged so thank you. How about you? 34lbs lost and 24 to go-- BMI under 30 I know it isn't always easy, but what a fantastic job you've done. I would like to post some dancing people for you too but when I click on insert image, I get nothing. And thanks for the correction. I have proudly joined the onederland club!
Closed Thread