3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ideal Protein WEEKLY Chat, Feb 29- March 7, 2010 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/195511-ideal-protein-weekly-chat-feb-29-march-7-2010-a.html)

brenda1980 03-03-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yinyang (Post 3182488)
I have been reading your posts and with all the positive reports, decided to begin the program. Today is my first day and so far so good. My coach seems to be very helpful and had a bag with everything in it. She did a written menu and put all all packets for a day in a ziplock. This was for the first two weeks. Couldn't be easier.

I anticipate the first three days I won't feel well based on past diets. I feel a little lightheaded, but not hungry yet. I am concerned about the ketosis breath that can be so bad. Any ideas how to control that? Has anyone had any experience with a mouth rinse called Therabreath? I thought I might try it.

I love your quote about short cuts. Breath- either mine has not been that bad or no one has the guts to say anything to me about it. And trust me, my husband would tell me without regard for my feelings. :)

Birman 03-03-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yinyang (Post 3182488)
Has anyone had any experience with a mouth rinse called Therabreath?

Yes. I have been using Therabreath toothpaste, rinse, and gum for several years. It is one of the better breath products out there, because it contains zinc and oxygen -- both of which studies show are good for bad breath. I don't know of data in regards specifically to using it for ketosis. However it should work better than anything else we have previously discussed here (e.g. Spry gum, Binaca, Listerine strips...)

Birman RDH

PRINCASS 03-03-2010 12:53 PM

Help!!

Is anyone using the Newlifestylediet.com pre-made shakes? I have a couple concerns and would like to talk to anyone using them to see if there having the same effects.

Wyo Sky 03-03-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3182217)
Sounds like whatever you are eating salad and veggie wise has more carbs in than you might realize. Have you gone over your diet with your coach? You may need to do MeghanOs bootcamp where she only has 25-30 carbs per day. That is very hard, but boy she lost a lot of weight. Under FAQs I think somewhere is the veggie carb count sheet. I printed one off and highlighted all the veggies that had very little carbs in per serving. This helps me make better choices when it comes to veggies as I am a slow loser (but I cheat and have wine with dinner) and am still losing now that I started doint that. Also, romaine lettuce has the most carbs in it. I was eating a head a day...that is like 26 carbs right there. I've moved over to field greens now and again, see the difference. Not all veggies/salads are created equal.

Good Morning-
Ogdog13, I'm not sure where you are getting your counts on the romaine lettuce. I've cross checked information posted in the FAQ section with other sources on the internet and what I am seeing across the board is that 1 cup of romaine lettuce has 0.7 net carbs (1.8 carbs minus 1.1 fiber). So unless you are eating over 26 cups of it a day, I don't know where you are getting a 26 carb count...;) I eat lots of it, almost every day and it might just be a tad higher than field greens.

Would you or anybody happen to know where MegnanO's bootcamp is listed? I'd be curious to read it. I will also look to see if I can do a search of her posts.

Have a romainful day!

Birman 03-03-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicibel (Post 3181969)
I need some encouragement today. My clinic had a meeting (kind of support group) of the people that have been on the diet. Keep in mind that that it has only been in the area since beginning of Jan. Anyway, I was the Smallest Loser at only 16 pounds in one month. One lady has been on for 50 days and she has lost 38 pounds. Of course, the guys all had huge numbers!! The Brats!! Everybody tried to be positive about it but I keep wondering if I am doing something wrong that the scale is moving so slowly for me. I eat the food - no restricted at all - take the vitamins, get the salt in. My only cheat would be at dinner I occasionally have extra protein. I have not done much exercising except walk once in awhile. Should I pick up on the exercise? Any suggestions? This is not the easiest diet to stay on especially if you aren't losing much. It was only one pound last week and the scale has not moved this week and weigh in is on Friday.

Fifteen years ago I did a diet, lost 16 lbs in 4 months, and was pretty darn pleased with myself. So 16 lbs in one month sounds great to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicibel (Post 3182118)
The problem with being a slow loser is that every week I don't lose means I will be on the diet longer and I have to go broke with the purchase of the packets. My husband is on the diet with me and will reach the goal way before I will. Can you imagine how much this is costing us to have two people on it. I hesitate to stray from the IP packets and use those unmentionable ones because I want to not deviate any more than I must. On top of that my daughter wants to try the diet as she has prom coming and the dress is shall I say "snug". I did purchase the unmentionable products for her and pray they taste good. She only likes the Choc version of the EAS shakes.

Ahhhh. I get what your concern is now.

Let me quote back an excellent post of Novak's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novak (Post 3177811)
Don't confuse the diet with the products. I believe the diet is sound, but if you understand enough about the chemical process, you can duplicate the effects in other (and less expensive) ways. What you pay for with the IP products is convenience and choice. Someone has done all the figuring for you, developed lots of different food flavors and textures, and all you have to do is follow a specific protocol to succeed. It's relatively mindless, which is just what I need. :)

Cicibel, you need to do this diet in a way that is right for YOU. The product system works great for some people. But it's not ideal for everyone. It wouldn't work well for me, for example. For two reasons. First, every product meal I took I would feel like I was eating a packet of money -- and that would just plain irk me! Second, I like to eat FOOD. I have food meals for both lunch AND dinner every day. Last night at dinner I got so full that I couldn't finish it, and had to put half away in the fridge. I was so stuffed that I thought I would HAVE to weigh more this morning. But nope -- instead I had dropped another pound. (That's 17 lbs in 3 weeks). Being able to eat more actual food, and not having to spend a fortune on packets helps me stay on the diet. And staying on the diet is where the results are. You need to do the diet in a way that works for you -- and if cost is a problem, then make adjustments to reduce the cost.

To do the diet without a dependence on the packets, one needs to A) be knowledgeable about the principles on which the diet is based, and B) be knowledgeable and careful about what they are eating.

One can accomplish the first by reading Dr. Tran's book. It is available online for free here.

One can accomplish the second by reading food labels. If it still seems a bit nebulous to you, then track what you're eating for a few days in Fit Day or some other program. That way you can be fully aware and knowledgeable about your choices. Come here and ask questions as well. We will help. :)

The fact that the cost of the products repeatedly comes up here is indicative of what how important it is for us to address this issue in supporting others in their weight loss success.

Ogdog13 03-03-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicibel (Post 3182463)
Ogdog13 says..."You may need to do MeghanOs bootcamp where she only has 25-30 carbs per day. That is very hard, but boy she lost a lot of weight."

Where is this bootcamp found. I want to check it out!! Thanks

Cicibel, it is something her coach helped her with. Basically you use an onlline tool (i.e. Fitday) to track how many carbs you are eating per day...ensuring that you only eat 25-30. She discusses it in past threads, look back through last months and the month before that. I'm sure she wouldn't have any problems answering any questions you might have...she is currently on the alternative post. Hopefully that helps you a little.

Ogdog13 03-03-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyo Sky (Post 3182525)
Good Morning-
Ogdog13, I'm not sure where you are getting your counts on the romaine lettuce. I've cross checked information posted in the FAQ section with other sources on the internet and what I am seeing across the board is that 1 cup of romaine lettuce has 0.7 net carbs (1.8 carbs minus 1.1 fiber). So unless you are eating over 26 cups of it a day, I don't know where you are getting a 26 carb count...;) I eat lots of it, almost every day and it might just be a tad higher than field greens.

Would you or anybody happen to know where MegnanO's bootcamp is listed? I'd be curious to read it. I will also look to see if I can do a search of her posts.

Have a romainful day!

Wyo Sky, Looking at the sheet I have, romain lettuce 1 cup has 1.3 carbs in it. And it doesn't take much to fill a cup with lettuce, eating a nice big head a day adds up. Field greens have .7 per 1 cup. Although not that much, everyone (especially myself) reacts to carbs differently. And, I notice that I eat less field greens than I did of romaine lettuce (man I can sock that down).

Megan O's bootcamp is something her coach put her on. Like I said before, you make sure that you eat only 25-30 carbs per day. No more. If you read back through last month's posts and the month before that she discusses it a bit more.

Wyo Sky 03-03-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRINCASS (Post 3182515)
Is anyone using the Newlifestylediet.com pre-made shakes? I have a couple concerns and would like to talk to anyone using them to see if there having the same effects.

I think there is data listed on their products in the FAQ section. I tried this years ago for like two weeks. The products tasted somewhat ok but I think they have higher carb counts, and many more chemicals in them including aspartame (which is VERY TOXIC folks). It can actually turn to formaldehyde in your system and is an excitotoxin. The whole story on how aspertame even got approved by the FDA is unbelievable but let's just say....bottom line and who knew who. I invite anyone to research this but be warned, once you figure it out, you'll never get near it again. It's in products everywhere, often under different names, and can even be in medications.

The Ideal Protein products are made in Canada and they have a higher standards (non-GMO's or geo-modified) for their foods than the US which typically ladens stuff with all kinds of chemical crap. As it was explained to me, this is one reason IP products cost more, it is because of quality control on the ingredients (except for sucrolose/Splenda which is also toxic chlorine). In Canada, I hear they put (or used to put) Stevia in the products but in order to sell their products in the US, our FDA said it can't have the Stevia so they went with sucrolose. If you are thinking the FDA cares about us folk, guess again.

Recommended viewing, please google or maybe on Netflix:
Food, Inc.
The World According to Monsanto

Yes, IP products are still a "processed food", but with safer overall ingredients. In my thinking (and I could well be wrong), it is not accurate to compare IP products and switch them out with other brands (Lindora, Advantage, etc.) thinking you are getting the same exact ingredients because unless those products are made in Canada, the quality is probably not going to be there. Regarding the sucrolose, as my doctor explains it, it's not that much and it's probably safer to ingest some of that than to carry around all the extra weight.

Obesity in this country is often due to the cheap crappy food we all generally eat. You know all the things on most ingredient labels that can not even be pronounced... All I can say is do some research, things like MSG (which can now be listed in ingredients as "natural flavorings" and a whole host of other names) are everywhere! Maunfuacturers know by adding this into their foods, people want to eat more of it (have cravings) and they really only care about the bottom line. You know the old Lays chip commerical, "bet you can't eat just one"...well I couldn't and didn't! :o High fructose corn syrup is another danger, and there are many.

I've eaten much processed crappy food through the years (although it tasted good or so I thought) and that's the main reason I am overweight. Besides just doing this Ideal Protein protocal, I am trying to educate myself to TRULY be more aware of what I will be stuffing into my mouth from now on. Yes, I am now on the free-range, organic, grown local bandwagon as I best I can be.

Ok, am getting down off soap box now
:comp:

Ogdog13 03-03-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyo Sky (Post 3182599)
I've eaten much processed crappy food through the years (although it tasted good or so I thought) and that's the main reason I am overweight. Besides just doing this Ideal Protein protocal, I am trying to educate myself to TRULY be more aware of what I will be stuffing into my mouth from now on. Yes, I am now on the free-range, organic, grown local bandwagon as I best I can be.

I'm right there beside you on a soap box too Wyo Sky!! Hip Hip.

Wyo Sky 03-03-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3182585)
Wyo Sky, Looking at the sheet I have, romain lettuce 1 cup has 1.3 carbs in it. And it doesn't take much to fill a cup with lettuce, eating a nice big head a day adds up. Field greens have .7 per 1 cup. Although not that much, everyone (especially myself) reacts to carbs differently. And, I notice that I eat less field greens than I did of romaine lettuce (man I can sock that down).

Megan O's bootcamp is something her coach put her on. Like I said before, you make sure that you eat only 25-30 carbs per day. No more. If you read back through last month's posts and the month before that she discusses it a bit more.

Hi again Ogdog13, Are you calculating the "net" carbs? This is carbs minus fiber content. That gives you the accurate count. I love romaine too and often use the long leaves to pile on the veggies, beef or whatever else I'm eatting with it. As much as I eat of it, I don't seem to tire of it (yet anyway);)

Sarkbait 03-03-2010 01:55 PM

I actually joined a special gym that combines heat with light cardio exercise for maximum calorie burn. This same gym also offered me Ideal Protein. Everyday, they measure my weight and my fat, water, and muscle mass. Here is what I found out from my 'rep'.

Because I weight 159lbs, I need 80g of protein, meaning I would need at least 4 packets, depending on the protein I was choosing to eat. Over the last few weeks, I only did 3 IP packets like the rest of you, but she was right, my muscle mass kept going down over the weekend, and even on days I would exercise. This last weekend, I started taking 4 packets and found that my muscle didn't go away and a lost more fat than weight really.

Weighing in at 148.7 pounds, but 13 lbs of fat gone :)

an extra packet would only set you back a couple of calories, especially if you pick a lighter calorie one before you go to bed (I drink the cranberry, pomegranate, blueberry one). The only real issue is cost, but I would rather just pay the large cost now rather than a large medical bill later for what my weight would probably bring me in the future

Ogdog13 03-03-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyo Sky (Post 3182636)
Hi again Ogdog13, Are you calculating the "net" carbs? This is carbs minus fiber content. That gives you the accurate count. I love romaine too and often use the long leaves to pile on the veggies, beef or whatever else I'm eatting with it. As much as I eat of it, I don't seem to tire of it (yet anyway);)

No, just total carbs (as it is my understanding of the boot camp that you count total carbs). LOL, hopefully you won't get sick of it!!

PRINCASS 03-03-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

I think there is data listed on their products in the FAQ section. I tried this years ago for like two weeks. The products tasted somewhat ok but I think they have higher carb counts, and many more chemicals in them including aspartame (which is VERY TOXIC folks). It can actually turn to formaldehyde in your system and is an excitotoxin. The whole story on how aspertame even got approved by the FDA is unbelievable but let's just say....bottom line and who knew who. I invite anyone to research this but be warned, once you figure it out, you'll never get near it again. It's in products everywhere, often under different names, and can even be in medications.

The Ideal Protein products are made in Canada and they have a higher standards (non-GMO's or geo-modified) for their foods than the US which typically ladens stuff with all kinds of chemical crap. As it was explained to me, this is one reason IP products cost more, it is because of quality control on the ingredients (except for sucrolose/Splenda which is also toxic chlorine). In Canada, I hear they put (or used to put) Stevia in the products but in order to sell their products in the US, our FDA said it can't have the Stevia so they went with sucrolose. If you are thinking the FDA cares about us folk, guess again.

Recommended viewing, please google or maybe on Netflix:
Food, Inc.
The World According to Monsanto

Yes, IP products are still a "processed food", but with safer overall ingredients. In my thinking (and I could well be wrong), it is not accurate to compare IP products and switch them out with other brands (Lindora, Advantage, etc.) thinking you are getting the same exact ingredients because unless those products are made in Canada, the quality is probably not going to be there. Regarding the sucrolose, as my doctor explains it, it's not that much and it's probably safer to ingest some of that than to carry around all the extra weight.

Obesity in this country is often due to the cheap crappy food we all generally eat. You know all the things on most ingredient labels that can not even be pronounced... All I can say is do some research, things like MSG (which can now be listed in ingredients as "natural flavorings" and a whole host of other names) are everywhere! Maunfuacturers know by adding this into their foods, people want to eat more of it (have cravings) and they really only care about the bottom line. You know the old Lays chip commerical, "bet you can't eat just one"...well I couldn't and didn't! :o High fructose corn syrup is another danger, and there are many.

Ok, am getting down off soap box now

Wyosky.
I totally agree with you.
The thing is, I was under the impression that the "newlife" shakes are the same as "IP" shakes because the ingredients read the same. http://newlifestylediet.com/detail.aspx?pid=138&cid=12
http://idealprotein.com/ipcl_usen.asp?no=295&c=19&p=63

Birman 03-03-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

... because unless those products are made in Canada, the quality is probably not going to be there....

What? Canadians can do more well than just play hockey? :D

Mom22 03-03-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3182646)
No, just total carbs (as it is my understanding of the boot camp that you count total carbs). LOL, hopefully you won't get sick of it!!

that's how i understood it too - MeghanO was having great weight loss success every week so we quizzed her and she talked about the "bootcamp" approach. It's pretty basic - you stick below 25-30 total carbs in one day - if you add up your 4 cups of veggies, your IP packs, some splenda (figure 1 carb), dressing, etc. you'll see how quickly your daily carb count goes up. It means eliminating the restricted packs, or alternating them with some really low carb ones and watching which veggies you eat. carb counts for veggies are on the FAQ thread. tricks to keep carbs down also include adding extra water to the puddings to make a shake rather than using the shakes - the puddings have fewer carbs.

I asked why the wildberry yogurt carb count is 14 (apprently this only showed up in Canada) and isn't restricted. there was a big conference last week for the IP consultants and mine asked at that event - they checked and it's a print error - they hadn't noticed. Carb count is 5.