Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #121  

Default An alternative product ISOFEMME

I came across ISOFEMME bars when I was in my local grocery store (Loblaws). They have a bar that is 160 cal, 6 g fat, 17 g carb, 14 g protein. Not exactly the same as the IP bars, but the proportions aren't too far off.

Sweeteners Ace K (3.9 mg) and Sucralose (63.25 mg) + sugar alcohols + a very small amount of sugar in the sweetened coconut

There's only one flavor, the coconut is almost undetectable. I've only tried one IP bar so I can't tell you which IP bar it tastes like. Here's a link to the nutrition information. It's available in Canada and the US.

http://www.isofemme.com/bars.html
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

I found a substitute bar as well. It is from Nature's Plus and is the Ultra Energy Acai Bar in chocolate berry flavor. It has 200 calories, 6 g fat, 13 g carb, 1 g fiber, and 21 g protein. It think it is even better than the IP bars. It is low glycemic, gluten free, and suitable for diabetics.

Last edited by BevS; 08-17-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Xylitol info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Hi, Jackie, Even though it shows 5 carbs, it's a sugar alcohol that probably doesn't need to be counted in your daily net carbs. It has a very low glycemic value. Read about it on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol.

Bev
Bev,
Thanks so much for the info/link re: xylitol. I knew it was recommended but not much about why. Your info cleared it up for me. I will be less hesitant about using it now.

Like Rocky, I too find the IP products to be quite sweet enough as they are. It's mostly for creating alternatives that I'm looking for a good sweetener. For example, I don't really like the IP raspberry jelly, so I thought of using a very old WW trick from before the days of no-sugar Jello to make your own, using a packet of unsweetened Koolaid, gelatin and artificial sweetener, and adding unflavoured protein to make it IPish. In those days the sweetener of choice was saccharin (which IMHO has been somewhat unfairly maligned in comparison to the unhealthy aspects of aspartame).

I'm in this for the long haul, so I'm clarifying and lining up my options so I won't panic or give up if/when I reach the point where I can't face another IP pudding!

Thanks again for your helpful info and input.
Jackie
Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #124  

After reading this forum, what I can gather is that consuming Pure Protein and Lindora products you will get about the same effects as taking the IP products. The main difference is the amino acids in the IP products. Is this correct?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 210/210/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I found a substitute bar as well. It is from Nature's Plus and is the Ultra Energy Acai Bar in chocolate berry flavor. It has 200 calories, 6 g fat, 13 g carb, 1 g fiber, and 21 g protein. It think it is even better than the IP bars. It is low glycemic, gluten free, and suitable for diabetics.
Bev-
Where do you get the Nature's Plus bars? Do they have to be ordered?
thanks
wen
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Bev,
Thanks so much for the info/link re: xylitol. I knew it was recommended but not much about why. Your info cleared it up for me. I will be less hesitant about using it now.

Like Rocky, I too find the IP products to be quite sweet enough as they are. It's mostly for creating alternatives that I'm looking for a good sweetener. For example, I don't really like the IP raspberry jelly, so I thought of using a very old WW trick from before the days of no-sugar Jello to make your own, using a packet of unsweetened Koolaid, gelatin and artificial sweetener, and adding unflavoured protein to make it IPish. In those days the sweetener of choice was saccharin (which IMHO has been somewhat unfairly maligned in comparison to the unhealthy aspects of aspartame).

I'm in this for the long haul, so I'm clarifying and lining up my options so I won't panic or give up if/when I reach the point where I can't face another IP pudding!

Jackie
You're very welcome. And I think you're smart to come up with your own inexpensive alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuc1013 View Post
Bev-
Where do you get the Nature's Plus bars? Do they have to be ordered?

thanks
wen
I buy them from my local health food store. They said the bars sell out fast but that they're constantly replenishing their stock. Here is a store locator for Nature's Plus products: http://www.naturesplus.com/storelocator/. Or you can buy them from various places online. Here's a source from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-U.../dp/B002CA0114.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 210/210/180

Quote:
Bev,

Jackie
Jackie-
the homemade jello sounds awesome. I can't afford the IP jello. Where do you get the unflavored protein?
wen
Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #128  

HI Wen,

You should be able to get unflavoured protein at your health food store or a large grocery store that stocks natural foods. The one I use is Absolute Whey Protein (all natural 100% New Zealand whey) by InterActive Nutrition. It comes in vanilla, chocolate and unflavoured. I have found it at Loblaws grocery store and at my health food market. Depending where I find it, it costs about $20-$24 for 400g. It will probably be less for you in the US. I am sure other brands would also offer unflavoured as a choice.

Unflavoured gelatin is available in the baking section of the grocery store, usually with the Jello products.

The nice thing about using KoolAid is it costs about 15 cents a packet and comes in all sorts of fruity flavours. I've got some in cherry that I'm planning to make up. I must admit, too, that lately I have been thinking that an IP Pina Colada or banana-pineapple package would make pretty yummy jello!

Jackie
Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #129  
jpenne

S/C/G: 262/228/165

Height: 5' 9"

Cool

Does anyone know of an IP friendly substitute for sour cream? I bet there is no such thing, huh? Also, I need ideas to make my veggies knock my socks off with taste. Any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #130  

Height: 5'5"

i'm with you jpenne....i'm at a lost with my vegies....i love cauliflower and brocolli...but can I eat that everyday? I need ideas...
Old 08-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #131  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I highly suggest trying every veggie on the list, even if you think you don't like them. Pick one and research a way to cook it that is IP approved. Turnip? Try turnip fries in the oven! Bean sprouts? Add them to a marinated asian cucumber salad! Brussel Sprouts? Roast them with a little bit of oil and garlic and herbs in the oven! Ask questions about veggies in the daily chats and I'm sure someone will give you a new way to cook them.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #132  

Default Happiness is Miracle Noodles! WF PB not so much.

Hi All,

Had a very successful excursion to Markham, Ontario this morning and the home of Loc Carb Grocery. They were great--excellent customer service and then some!

Got some Miracle Noodles and some spinach flavoured shiritake fettuccini noodles. Had some noodle soup with left over mixed veggies and chicken broth. Excellent! I highly recommend the noodles.

I also decided to try the WF peanut butter. The guy at LCG recommended the PB2 powdered peanut butter over the WF and did me a HUGE favour by doing so. It is made from peanuts that have had all the oil pressed out, leaving a very low fat powder. Each 2 tbsp of powder has 45 cals, 5 g. protein, 1.5 g fat, 5g. carbs, but 2 of those are fibre, so it's 3 net carbs, which I think is low enough for an occasional treat.

The WF pb is an imitation of pb that would be sort of okay taste-wise, even though it doesn't taste anything like pb, but the texture is rather slippery-slimy. It's also oddly salty, which given how much sea salt I'm pouring on my food these days is saying something. One of the things I love about pb is that "stick to the roof of your mouth" quality. The WF pb is distinctly lacking in this area. So, I did an experiment. Instead of mixing the PB2 with water, I mixed it with the WF pb. GOOD IDEA! It was really good, tasted very peanutty, cut the carbs down because half the volume was the WF stuff, and I got that great pb texture that I was looking for. After 1 tbsp I am feeling really satisfied and happy because with a little creativity I can do this for the long haul! (And now I don't have to go a year without peanut butter!)

Jackie
Old 08-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #133  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Hi All,

Had a very successful excursion to Markham, Ontario this morning and the home of Loc Carb Grocery. They were great--excellent customer service and then some!

Got some Miracle Noodles and some spinach flavoured shiritake fettuccini noodles. Had some noodle soup with left over mixed veggies and chicken broth. Excellent! I highly recommend the noodles.

I also decided to try the WF peanut butter. The guy at LCG recommended the PB2 powdered peanut butter over the WF and did me a HUGE favour by doing so. It is made from peanuts that have had all the oil pressed out, leaving a very low fat powder. Each 2 tbsp of powder has 45 cals, 5 g. protein, 1.5 g fat, 5g. carbs, but 2 of those are fibre, so it's 3 net carbs, which I think is low enough for an occasional treat.

The WF pb is an imitation of pb that would be sort of okay taste-wise, even though it doesn't taste anything like pb, but the texture is rather slippery-slimy. It's also oddly salty, which given how much sea salt I'm pouring on my food these days is saying something. One of the things I love about pb is that "stick to the roof of your mouth" quality. The WF pb is distinctly lacking in this area. So, I did an experiment. Instead of mixing the PB2 with water, I mixed it with the WF pb. GOOD IDEA! It was really good, tasted very peanutty, cut the carbs down because half the volume was the WF stuff, and I got that great pb texture that I was looking for. After 1 tbsp I am feeling really satisfied and happy because with a little creativity I can do this for the long haul! (And now I don't have to go a year without peanut butter!)

Jackie
I would definitely rec pb2 over WF pb, but it is still off plan. I bought it when it first came out, and use it for baking and making sauces when not on plan. However, nuts are still off limits, and it isn't all 0's, so we can't have it. It is a slippery slope with pb!!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #134  

Right you are, Xanthia. Thanks for the correction. I will discuss this with my coach when I next speak with her.
Jackie
Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 148/111.5/115

My sister found these great shakes at Costco:

http://www.premiernutrition.com/prod...ein_shake.html

If you click on the nutrition info, it lists the total carb as 5 g. Acceptable, I'd say.

It's also got 680 mg. of potassium, which is a real boon for those doing Alternative, as the IP potassium supplements (800 mg) are hard to find an equivalent of.

She's set to start on IP September 7. I'm really excited for her.

Last edited by Midlife Meggie; 08-30-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Closed Thread